Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

Highlighted
Teacher

Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

What is the specs, type and speed, of the SD card that can be used to expand the storage on Samsung Focus? Can someone from Samsung or AT&T answer this?

I am not asking about the SD card size or whether I can use it i my PC after using it in WP7.

I am asking about minimum hardware specs of the SD cards that can be used in Focus.

Message 1 of 78 (17,248 Views)
Guru

Re: Samsung Focus - usable SD card specs?

[ Edited ]

checking the Samsung Website, they are selling the following and guaranty it to work with the Focus:

This 8GB microSD Memory Card uses the latest advancements in flash memory technology to deliver the smallest memory card in the world. Measuring about one-fourth the size of a standard SD card, the microSD card provides high-performance and expanded memory capacity for your SAMSUNG mobile phone. Package includes a standard size SD Adapter that can be used in your compatible memory adapter device and digital camera.

It is a SanDisk card - they also advertise the 2 and 4 GB.

That being said, other BB's have opined that you need a class 4 or 6 (if available) card so as to not slow down the Focus.

Message 2 of 78 (16,477 Views)

When a phone is designed they use what is available at that time I had a older SE phone that when it was designed it officially only supported a 4gb memory card however a 8gb model was released afterwards and it worked perfectly fine that being said the best way to "know" what cards your phone is to ask others what they have used successfully and if you buy 1 that it doesn't officially support make SURE you know that company's return policy.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 78 (16,434 Views)
Teacher

scooterjes wrote:

When a phone is designed they use what is available at that time I had a older SE phone that when it was designed it officially only supported a 4gb memory card however a 8gb model was released afterwards and it worked perfectly fine that being said the best way to "know" what cards your phone is to ask others what they have used successfully and if you buy 1 that it doesn't officially support make SURE you know that company's return policy.

I am not worried about the size. I am worried about the speed only. I just want to check if what I have already will be useful or not. I have a Transcend 8GB card. I don't know what class it is. I bought it about a year ago. If that is useful, then that 8GB extra is sufficient for me.

Message 4 of 78 (16,420 Views)

If there is no class # on the card itself I dunno I do know my class 6 card in my phone has a 6 printed on the front of it hope that info helps.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 78 (16,392 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

I picked up a 16 GB (Class 6) card for use with the Focus.  About 60 bucks.  A 16 GB has been confirmed to work in at least 2 reviews of the phone.  I've seen no reviews using a 32 GB card.  Unfortunately, neither review mentioned what speed class was used, but I figure you can't go wrong with a Class 6.

Message 6 of 78 (16,362 Views)
Master

Currently 32Gb MicroSD cards are all class 2. So they are slow and VERY expensive (retails about $200 but you can find deals for $100).

I'd agree, you can't go wrong with class 6 16GB card.

Somehow, the price on these class 6 16GB cards has gone up in past couple months. I remember they were around $40 in the summer.

Message 7 of 78 (16,336 Views)
Teacher

I found that SanDisk has only 32 GB Class 2. On amazon.com I found Komputerbay has got 32 GB Class 6: Check this link. It costs $117.

There I found one excellent customer review by Kelly Grant in this link. As per this review both the Komputerbay's and SanDisk's cards function much like Class 4 rather than Class 6 and class 2 respectively.

So if phone OEM's hav been working with the cards that are available in the market, we can assume that either of these would work in Samsung Focus.

However, it had been observed by some customers that higher the capacity slower the speed with which they write to the memory.

Let me know what you think.

-- ThanQ...

Message 8 of 78 (16,331 Views)
Tutor

I actually e-mailed Jeff Bradley from ATT with this question a couple weeks ago.  The below is his response.

Thanks for your interest in our new Windows Phone 7 devices.  We are very excited as well about this great new experience being delivered on some very cool devices on the nation’s fastest network.

The devices will support the addition of up to a 32GB class 2 (or higher) microSD card.  You need to insert the card before you power up the device the first time so that the operating system can map it as available memory to maximize its utilization.  This is outlined in the Quick Start Guide you receive in the box.  I encourage you to read this before you launch the device the first time to have the best experience with a microSD card.

Thanks again for your interest.   I hope you like it as much as I do.  If you have a moment, please let me know your experience.

Best regards

Jeff

Jeff Bradley

Senior Vice President Devices

AT&T Mobility & Consumer Markets

Message 9 of 78 (16,167 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

eshudnow wrote:

I actually e-mailed Jeff Bradley from ATT with this question a couple weeks ago.  The below is his response.

Thanks for your interest in our new Windows Phone 7 devices.  We are very excited as well about this great new experience being delivered on some very cool devices on the nation’s fastest network.

The devices will support the addition of up to a 32GB class 2 (or higher) microSD card.  You need to insert the card before you power up the device the first time so that the operating system can map it as available memory to maximize its utilization.  This is outlined in the Quick Start Guide you receive in the box.  I encourage you to read this before you launch the device the first time to have the best experience with a microSD card.

Thanks again for your interest.   I hope you like it as much as I do.  If you have a moment, please let me know your experience.

Best regards

Jeff

Jeff Bradley

Senior Vice President Devices

AT&T Mobility & Consumer Markets

Wow, great post.  Great news!  I'll give you some kudos on your ranking if I can figure out what to click.  Thanks for sharing the email.  Wow, that was your first post as well.  Great start.  Keep it up.

Message 10 of 78 (16,144 Views)
Expert

foxbat121 wrote:

Currently 32Gb MicroSD cards are all class 2. So they are slow and VERY expensive (retails about $200 but you can find deals for $100).

I'd agree, you can't go wrong with class 6 16GB card.

Somehow, the price on these class 6 16GB cards has gone up in past couple months. I remember they were around $40 in the summer.

Kingston have two 32gb MicroSD (thanks for the correction on the mini vs micro) listed in stock at Newegg for around 115.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=32gb+mi...

As far as the 16gb class 6 they have some listed as low as 35.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=16gb+mi...

Message 11 of 78 (7,866 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I got a 16GB Transcend Class 6 Micro SDHC card from newegg.com ($42.98, free shipping) I used Flash Check and Sandra Pro Home 2010 SP2 to speed test and error test the card. 

Sandra Results:

Scored 66.22 IOPS with FAT32, 32Kilobyte allocation formating.  

Scored 77.48 IOPS with exFAT (FAT64), 4096 Kilobytes allocation formating. 

Flash Check Results: (2.5 hour test)

1 full pass, full pattern set, FAT32, 32Kilobyte allocation formating

Read=18.85 MB/s

Write=16.98 MB/s

NO ERRORS!!!!

I owned the 8GB version of this product for around 1.5 years and it never failed me.  

Microsoft's stance on Micro SD expansion for Windows Phone 7- http://windowsphonesecrets.com/2010/10/29/microsoft-speaks-on-micro-sd-and-windows-phone-storage-exp...

Message 12 of 78 (7,813 Views)
Professor

I'll probably end up buying an inexpensive 16GB drive.  As much as I'd like a huge drive, I cannot bring myself to spend over a hundred bucks on a two hundred dollar phone.  32GB drives will be dirt cheap if I can hold out for a bit.  A class 6 32GB drive which cost $199 now just does not make sense.  I think i am going to grab a class 6 or even 4 16GB.

A class 4 16GB will run you between $20 and $30 if you are not looking for a sale.

Message 13 of 78 (7,802 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I just received an email back from Samsung Tech Support. 

My Question: " SGH-i917 Focus for AT&T, need clarification on MicroSD slot
Are MicroSD flash drives used in the slot under the battery cover capable of being removed with out hard resetting the phone/operating system (Windows Phone 7)?

I'm not referring to the internal 8GB memory in the core of the phone.
 "

Their Answer: " Thank you for your inquiry. If you are referring to the memory card that you have on the phone, it will not affect the functionality of the phone either the operating system of the phone.

Should you desire additional assistance resolving this, we invite you to call Samsung Customer Support by phone at our toll free number 1-888-987-4357 between the hours 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Central Standard Time.

We thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Technical Support
Carissa
{Personal content removed for safety} "

OK, just got off phone with Samsung tech support, via the phone # above. 

She told me that the MicroSD card slot under the battery cover WILL BE REMOVABLE with out hard reset of the phone. That I can use multiple MicroSD cards with the phone, i.e. adding movies to multiple MicroSD flash drives for a vacation. AS LONG AS the flash drive is only used in the SGH-i917 Focus and a Computer. If added to another phone or device it may require reformatting before using in the Focus again. 

Message 14 of 78 (7,788 Views)
Expert

Seed 2.0 wrote:

I just received an email back from Samsung Tech Support. 

My Question: " SGH-i917 Focus for AT&T, need clarification on MicroSD slot
Are MicroSD flash drives used in the slot under the battery cover capable of being removed with out hard resetting the phone/operating system (Windows Phone 7)?

I'm not referring to the internal 8GB memory in the core of the phone.
 "

Their Answer: " Thank you for your inquiry. If you are referring to the memory card that you have on the phone, it will not affect the functionality of the phone either the operating system of the phone.

Should you desire additional assistance resolving this, we invite you to call Samsung Customer Support by phone at our toll free number 1-888-987-4357 between the hours 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Central Standard Time.

We thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Technical Support
Carissa
{Personal content removed for safety} "

OK, just got off phone with Samsung tech support, via the phone # above. 

She told me that the MicroSD card slot under the battery cover WILL BE REMOVABLE with out hard reset of the phone. That I can use multiple MicroSD cards with the phone, i.e. adding movies to multiple MicroSD flash drives for a vacation. AS LONG AS the flash drive is only used in the SGH-i917 Focus and a Computer. If added to another phone or device it may require reformatting before using in the Focus again. 

this is completely opposite on what is reported by Microsoft, they are spanning the card as a JBOD drive, which basily combines both cards into 1, you pull it out and it faults the drive array.

"

Expandable Storage via microSD

Microsoft supports expandable storage on Windows Phone 7 devices. If an OEM chooses to do so, it can implement a microSD card slot for additional storage. This is similar to what Google allows with Android, however the similarity ends here.

Windows Phone creates a JBOD span across your internal NAND and any NAND on microSD. It’s all treated as one contiguous address space, like a large hard drive or SSD. The benefit is you don’t have to manage where you put your apps, music, movies or photos. The downside is you can’t just remove/replace the microSD card in your phone.

The OS is obviously stored in a known location, however data is written linearly across both internal and microSD NAND. Your phone will still boot if you remove or swap out the microSD card, but you’ll be greeted with an error.

If you remove the card and attempt to read off of it on your Mac/PC you’ll quickly realize that you can’t. By removing the card you effectively break the file system. Microsoft provides you with a couple of other options to get data to/from the phone (which I’ll get to later) so you don’t have to rely on swapping microSDs.

You aren’t stuck with that original microSD card however. If you do a factory restore with a new microSD card installed the OS will format across it and you’ll be good to go. Obviously you’ll have to re-download all of your apps and sync all of your files but it does work."

I tend to go with the author's of the OS on this question, but then again as soon as you get the phone you can prove it one way or the other. This function of the add on memory has been reported by early reviewers of the phones - inclucding the samasung focus and the OS

Message 15 of 78 (7,774 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.