Ask a question

Posted Dec 31, 2010
    7:51:09 AM
    View profile
    Samsung Focus phantom data use
    I have 2 Focus phones, one is used nearly entirely for call forwarding to the other one. The one on call forward stays in my office 99% of the time and is connected to my wireless network. Yet it is using twice the data as the one I take with me. No mail, no auto updating of anything on that phone. It appears to be using the majority of the data at 1:10 AM at least every other day and it's huge. I'm sleeping at 1:10AM. The Focus I use regularly is not doing that. Not using the phone except rarely and only my wireless network but it's using 1.5-2.0 MB at 1:10 AM. HELP Please.

Samsung Focus phantom data use

13 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (13)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 31, 2010 10:03:50 AM
    (0)
    Guru

There are several "push" programs on the Focus, plus other (such as emails, messaging, weather, active tiles, etc.), which "check" for status updates at regular intervals.

That being said, it is possible, that the one in your office has some programs running "in the background" that are using data.

So, you will need to check, especially apps and games, to see what or which might be the culprit.

Re: Samsung Focus phantom data use

2 of 14 (3,084 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 31, 2010 10:54:15 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Is there a wifi sleep policy with the Samsung Focus? I wouldn't know to look for it except under the wifi settings. It might be possible the wifi is turning off after a certain time whenever the screen is off and the phone goes back to using the 3g network to handle data traffic.
    Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
    Posted by a mobile device.

3 of 14 (3,074 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 31, 2010 12:46:52 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    My problem is, what? I don't have anything running on that phone in the background. Every time I look it is connected to WiFi and even if it wasn't I don't see anything that should be pushing or pulling. The other phone, which is on 24/7 and DOES sync and check for mail, checks weather and other things isn't doing anything at 1:10 AM and is using half the data. Go figure.

4 of 14 (3,053 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 31, 2010 1:16:39 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Ann was asking about a wi-fi sleep policy like android phones would have, to modify when the wi-fi sleeps. Last time I used the focus I did not see any options for the wi-fi.

Most phones when sleeping will turn the wi-fi off and still allow data to be used ( which is now using the cell service). The windows devices have a lot of background data usage.

5 of 14 (3,043 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 1, 2011 7:19:39 AM
    (0)
    Guru

From XDA:

3G still remains on/connected providing your carrier and phone support 3G. when wifi is on and connected, it takes over 3G connection for data till you disconnect wifi again.

Yes and no.
    There's a bit of a design flaw in WP7 that is catching many users by surprise.
    What you're saying is correct when you're using the phone. WiFi takes precedence over 3G for data.
    But, and this is the surprise, when the phone goes to sleep (mine's set to the maximum of 5 min), it turns the WiFi off, meaning 3G takes over.

Many people learn this the hard way, because they'll start some large download and leave the phone alone. At some point, the phone goes to sleep (the display turns off, basically), which turns off the WiFi, and now your download is switched to complete via 3G. Many people are wondering on the various forums why they leave their phone (say overnight) thinking it's on WiFi, and wake up to a surprise data usage number on 3G.

If your wireless router has a status screen to monitor live connections (I use DD-WRT, which does), you can see this behavior for yourself.

It gets better! If you're a "normal" user who plugs in your WP7 to charge up the battery overnight, you'll notice you can't turn the phone off. So, without taking any specific action, you have absolutely positively no choice but to burn 3G usage during the time period that the phone's plugged in, but not in actual use.

The workaround, if you're really tight on data usage, is to turn off your cell/3G manually, or switch to Airplane Mode, or stick your phone in a lead-lined box (okay, maybe not lead, but you get the point).

Brad.

6 of 14 (2,985 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 1, 2011 7:20:19 AM
    (0)
    Guru

From XDA:

3G still remains on/connected providing your carrier and phone support 3G. when wifi is on and connected, it takes over 3G connection for data till you disconnect wifi again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes and no.
    There's a bit of a design flaw in WP7 that is catching many users by surprise.
    What you're saying is correct when you're using the phone. WiFi takes precedence over 3G for data.
    But, and this is the surprise, when the phone goes to sleep (mine's set to the maximum of 5 min), it turns the WiFi off, meaning 3G takes over.

Many people learn this the hard way, because they'll start some large download and leave the phone alone. At some point, the phone goes to sleep (the display turns off, basically), which turns off the WiFi, and now your download is switched to complete via 3G. Many people are wondering on the various forums why they leave their phone (say overnight) thinking it's on WiFi, and wake up to a surprise data usage number on 3G.

If your wireless router has a status screen to monitor live connections (I use DD-WRT, which does), you can see this behavior for yourself.

It gets better! If you're a "normal" user who plugs in your WP7 to charge up the battery overnight, you'll notice you can't turn the phone off. So, without taking any specific action, you have absolutely positively no choice but to burn 3G usage during the time period that the phone's plugged in, but not in actual use.

The workaround, if you're really tight on data usage, is to turn off your cell/3G manually, or switch to Airplane Mode, or stick your phone in a lead-lined box (okay, maybe not lead, but you get the point).

Brad.

7 of 14 (2,985 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 4, 2011 7:14:17 AM
    (0)
    Guru

From Pocket Now:

Have you noticed anything odd about your 3G data usage when looking over the monthly bill for your Windows Phone 7 device? Some users are reporting mysterious data spikes that seem to be eating up their monthly allotment, and the issue may have something to do with how WP7 devices handle WiFi.

This tale first emerged on Paul Thurrott's SuperSite, as he responded to some reader questions. One WP7 user reported unusual nightly transmissions of 30-50MB, as well as a huge 400MB burst when taking the phone out of airplane mode. Apparently this wasn't the first Thurrott had heard of the problem, as he was quick to identify it as a misconfiguration where the phone sends data over 3G, even when it should be using WiFi.

Something doesn't quite add up here, as the recurring nightly transmissions sound like an app or system service checking for updates or syncing data. Especially if you've been downloading lots of apps from the Marketplace, it's conceivable that one or two get set up in a way that causes them to use more data than you'd expect. What Thurrott talks about seems like another issue entirely, though one that's just as troubling. In either case, there isn't any evidence yet as to exactly what's going on.

Have any WP7 users noticed odd patterns in how your phone uses data? Is your plan reporting that you've consumed far more data than you can account for?

8 of 14 (2,845 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 4, 2011 5:18:31 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Edited by leeshor on Jan 4, 2011 at 5:24:27 PM

I'm the OP. Submitted a support ticket to ATT and got a call back but not much help. They claimed that certain activities take place at certain times of the day that will use 3G. I don't buy it for a minute.

So I contacted Samsung with the specific intent of asking if the problem is OS or hardware. Basically they told me the same thing already mentioned here. Evidently, (according to them) when in WiFi range the phone connects to WiFi and temporarily disables the 3G. I contend that isn't always the case, but I did determine that the 6MB data transfers were mostly every other morning on average, around 1:10 AM. So for now I fixed it, I put it into flight mode when I go to bed. Guess what? The problem went way lol.

It did seem to be happening when the phone was left alone in the middle of the night for most of the phantom data but not always  -- so that would partially confirm another comment made here regardng the phone going to sleep.

[ Edited ]
    9 of 14 (2,777 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 4, 2011 6:06:10 PM
    (0)
    Master

My son's Focuse managed to survive 200MB/mo plan for two months now w/o issue. He has the gmail sync but not Facebook sync. There is no such thing as phantom data. It is one of the apps that are pulling data. The online data activity is known to aggregate a day's worth of data into one entry at some weired time, not necessary the actual time the data tranfer occured. That is how these mobile data traffic gets recorded. Not a particular bug in WP7. My WM phones and Android phones show the same thing.

WP7 has the known issue that wi-fi will be turned off if phone falls into sleep unless you either turn off 3G data (there is a setting for that w/o put into flight mode) or keep the phone plugged in.

You will have to experiment to find out which app uses most data and turn that one off. There is no magic bullet. Blame MS, AT&T or Samsung won't help you. My own Samsung Captivate uses only about 300 to 500 MB/month with pretty heavy usage and yet someone else reportly used 2GB in 10 days for the same phone.

10 of 14 (2,761 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 6, 2011 7:25:10 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

I noticed Wifi was being shut off when the phone slept right away.  When I'd turn it back on I'd see the WiFi meter blinking like it was connecting.  

It is odd... M$ trying to do something new.  Maybe they're onto something.  Maybe they're not and I'll switch back to my N1 soon enough.  Smiley Happy  But I do like the Focus/W7P so far... it's like the step-child you want to love.

11 of 14 (1,313 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 6, 2011 7:31:43 AM
    (0)
    Master

What MS did in WP7 for wifi is actually not new. It is the default behavior for most mobile phones for the sake of saving battery juice.

In Android, you have to change the wi-fi sleeping policy to make wi-fi keep connected while sleeping.

WP7 is designed for simplicity. Hence a lot of options are not user configurable.

12 of 14 (1,309 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 14, 2011 10:26:58 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

I am having this exact problem with my HTC Aria phone. My phantom data usage began this month as described in this post. At one point, the phone transmitted - get this - 114 MB! More numerous are 20-60 MB. I have not changed my phone use pattern after 4 months of ownership (at 200 MB monthly plan) and my typical data transmits do not exceed say 6 MB with most in KB range. As the post also indicates, these are at times when I don't even have the phone with me. I have just read Windows 7 is having the same problem and now I ran into this post, now I know what to search for "phantom data use" Something is definitely not right as more people are seemingly having this problem. Help!

13 of 14 (1,170 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 14, 2011 8:44:35 PM
    (0)
    Guru

The iPhone does the same thing; wifi goes off and 3G takes over when the phone goes to sleep.  I had one large use of data and after that I tried turning off my 3G unless I wanted to use it because wifi wasn't available.  This worked just fine for me most of the time.  I recently began leaving the 3G on all the time, and, so far, so good.  No big data charges I can't explain.

14 of 14 (1,130 Views)