Samsung Focus continuously beeps

Tutor

Samsung Focus continuously beeps

Samsung Focus continuosly beeps; set it to Vibrate then back to Ring and it keeps on beeping; did complete shutdown and reboot and still keeps beeping.

Message 1 of 26 (12,526 Views)
Teacher

Re: Samsung Focus continuously beeps

I need to know if you have the battery icon constantly sliding down into the screen?  If so, mine does that too.  It only does this when unplugged from the USB cable, while plugged in, it never does this.  In addition, when the battery icon appears and it "beeps", the plug icon appears over the battery icon indicating that it is charging when it is not even plugged into anything.  When it gets into this mode the screen cannot turn off.  I spent over an hour on this with AT&T Technical Support and the woman I spoke to said they are very familiar with the problem, it has been reported by many users, she has heard the sound, it is a known Microsoft problem and will be fixed in the next update.  Now, who knows when that update will come.

When mine does this, I plug it into a charger or the pc and then unplug it and sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.  There is no firm solution.  Turn off the phone, take the battery out, leave it out for 15 minutes or so, then reinsert it.  I really believe it has something to do with the USB port circuitry/software.  Mine hasn't done this now for about 30 days and I don't know what fixed it.  If you want a good laugh, the TS woman asked if I browsed the Internet.  When I told her I did, she said I picked up a virus and that this would void my warranty.  Here I am using a phone with locked down software, made to browse the Internet, no way to add additional security, and by using it as designed and advertised, voided my warranty.  Just goes to show how far AT&T has fallen.

Message 2 of 26 (12,502 Views)
Master

Message 3 of 26 (12,491 Views)
Contributor

Did you ever solve the problem?  This just started happening to my phone tonight.  I have the NoDo update, so it must not be fixed with that...
Message 4 of 26 (12,307 Views)
Master

foxbat121 wrote:

Hope you guys' phone didn't end up like this http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/My-Samsung-Focus-USB-charge-port-amp-cable-melted/td-p/269...

No way, I was going to say the same thing! Smiley Very Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 26 (12,282 Views)

Not sure on original poster, but the same thing happened to my Focus over this weekend (5/7/2011).  The beeping kept up so that I couldn't use apps/games with volume for the better part of Saturday, then Saturday night the battery icon finally stopped dropping the "charging" icon and my device has since smelled of burning electronics.

I contacted Samsung support and will be going to the AT&T store today, will share what either has to say when I get back.

Message 6 of 26 (12,272 Views)

[ Edited ]

Originally the warranty department was convinced it was a battery issue - which would not quite explain why the handset smelled like burning electronics. Right now waiting on a replacement handset to arrive under warranty exchange, but hate the fact that you have to agree to some absurd terms to get your exchange. For example, you send back your original handset when you receive your refurbished replacement, but if their "testing" determines that the original handset was not at fault they charge you $449 to your bill for the replacement. I could buy a new Focus for that much if I wanted to.

Honestly, I am happy a like-new handset is on its was, but this only re-affirms how much I dislike AT&T and how absurd their policies are. I had to fight to get them to listen to the fact that my handset smelled like it was burning rather than trying to get me to drive an hour away to check the battery. What is the point of a warranty if I have to miss a day of work to get them to investigate my handset to confirm it smells like it is burning? I've only been a paying customer for over 4 years now, you know, not like I had some pointless loyalty to the company or anything. And now I have to watch my bill to see what their "tests" confirm, with no idea how I can fight it if they try to charge me for the refurb unit.

I miss the days when companies actually cared about their customers.

Message 7 of 26 (12,246 Views)
Contributor

I had this problem on my samsung focus about two months ago and after connecting to my pc and zune it went away.  A few days ago it came back with a vengence and nothing I've tried made it go away.  I did software resets, a hard reset and tried all sorts of combinations plugging the charger in with or without the battery, none of which worked.  I gave up and returned the unit under warranty .  I was expecting a fight at the store, but the tech listened to my story,reset the battery,  heard the beeping start again, and sent me to the manager for warranty repair.  I'm hoping the little scratches on the back of the case don't cause issues on the return, we will see.

Message 8 of 26 (11,997 Views)
Contributor

My Focus just failed againg (beeping), this will be the forth time!

Message 9 of 26 (11,368 Views)

One thing to consider, thinking back on this topic, is that this is a first run phone for a new OS.  Samsung may have screwed up a bit, but consider Apple releasing the iPhone 4 (4!) with major hardware flaws that caused calls to drop.  Thaknfully AT&T has been getting better (despite their sales people still being iOS/Android fanboys and girls that won't push Windows Phone at all), so from other people I've spoken to offline they've been very helpful with the defective Focus units.

Message 10 of 26 (11,346 Views)
Contributor

I have replaced my Focus 4 times because the beeping error. I has told that the Mango for Windows Phone 7 update will fix it. I am so temped to switch to Android as there is currently no solution to the problem.

Message 11 of 26 (10,249 Views)

You might be better off switching to one of the new Nokia devices or at least something coming out in the Mango wave.  Everyone I've spoken to with this issue seems to think it is an issue with Samsung hardware, but only impacting a very small percentage of Focus owners out there, so perhaps a different vendor will help you to keep enjoying the Windows Phone experience - sans beeping meltdown.

Message 12 of 26 (10,246 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had this same issue and currently experiencing it for the second time. The first time I restrored my phone to factory settings and WP7 pre nodo with no luck. Following that attempt of self repair I sent the phone back to Samsung and they repaired my phone after about a 15 day wait. After receiving my phone back from Sammy and being convinced it was fixed I updated my phone to Mango and about 7 days later the phone started having the same issue again. IMO I dont think this is a software issue but more of a hardware issue that samsung is not coming clean on. My feelings at this point is that the WP7 is really good especially the mango flavor but the samsung phone may have a defect in its hardware. ATT and Samsung have shown fairly good customer support so far but I also feel that the issue should be diagnosed by Samsung or ATT and all users should be informed.

Note after the second time I decide to call ATT who are now sending me a refurbished samsung focus in place of my original one.

Message 13 of 26 (10,108 Views)
Tutor

I had this problem and took my phone to an AT&T device support center.  The gal at the center said that this is caused by a manufacturing problem where the micro-usb power/sync connector is not always reliably soldered to the PCB.  Sometimes the problem shows up right away, sometimes it takes a while.  AT&T gave me a new phone and so far it's been problem free.

Message 14 of 26 (10,104 Views)
Contributor

I just spent a half hour on the chat line getting an ATT rep up to speed on this issue.  Did not get in resolved with her.

I juggled the USB connector several times and now it seems to be OK.....temporarliy.

I think it might be the usb connector soldering connection as stated above.

It was the best phone I have had........now I am getting anxiety it will happen again. 

Message 15 of 26 (10,079 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.