Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 12, 2011
7:23:26 PM
Samsung Focus continuously beeps

Samsung Focus continuosly beeps; set it to Vibrate then back to Ring and it keeps on beeping; did complete shutdown and reboot and still keeps beeping.

Samsung Focus continuosly beeps; set it to Vibrate then back to Ring and it keeps on beeping; did complete shutdown and reboot and still keeps beeping.

Samsung Focus continuously beeps

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2011 6:55:29 AM
(0)
Teacher

I need to know if you have the battery icon constantly sliding down into the screen?  If so, mine does that too.  It only does this when unplugged from the USB cable, while plugged in, it never does this.  In addition, when the battery icon appears and it "beeps", the plug icon appears over the battery icon indicating that it is charging when it is not even plugged into anything.  When it gets into this mode the screen cannot turn off.  I spent over an hour on this with AT&T Technical Support and the woman I spoke to said they are very familiar with the problem, it has been reported by many users, she has heard the sound, it is a known Microsoft problem and will be fixed in the next update.  Now, who knows when that update will come.

When mine does this, I plug it into a charger or the pc and then unplug it and sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.  There is no firm solution.  Turn off the phone, take the battery out, leave it out for 15 minutes or so, then reinsert it.  I really believe it has something to do with the USB port circuitry/software.  Mine hasn't done this now for about 30 days and I don't know what fixed it.  If you want a good laugh, the TS woman asked if I browsed the Internet.  When I told her I did, she said I picked up a virus and that this would void my warranty.  Here I am using a phone with locked down software, made to browse the Internet, no way to add additional security, and by using it as designed and advertised, voided my warranty.  Just goes to show how far AT&T has fallen.

I need to know if you have the battery icon constantly sliding down into the screen?  If so, mine does that too.  It only does this when unplugged from the USB cable, while plugged in, it never does this.  In addition, when the battery icon appears and it "beeps", the plug icon appears over the battery icon indicating that it is charging when it is not even plugged into anything.  When it gets into this mode the screen cannot turn off.  I spent over an hour on this with AT&T Technical Support and the woman I spoke to said they are very familiar with the problem, it has been reported by many users, she has heard the sound, it is a known Microsoft problem and will be fixed in the next update.  Now, who knows when that update will come.

When mine does this, I plug it into a charger or the pc and then unplug it and sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.  There is no firm solution.  Turn off the phone, take the battery out, leave it out for 15 minutes or so, then reinsert it.  I really believe it has something to do with the USB port circuitry/software.  Mine hasn't done this now for about 30 days and I don't know what fixed it.  If you want a good laugh, the TS woman asked if I browsed the Internet.  When I told her I did, she said I picked up a virus and that this would void my warranty.  Here I am using a phone with locked down software, made to browse the Internet, no way to add additional security, and by using it as designed and advertised, voided my warranty.  Just goes to show how far AT&T has fallen.

Re: Samsung Focus continuously beeps

2 of 26 (12,455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2011 9:45:47 AM
(0)
Master

3 of 26 (12,444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2011 9:18:12 PM
(0)
Contributor
Did you ever solve the problem?  This just started happening to my phone tonight.  I have the NoDo update, so it must not be fixed with that...
Did you ever solve the problem?  This just started happening to my phone tonight.  I have the NoDo update, so it must not be fixed with that...

4 of 26 (12,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2011 5:28:04 PM
(0)
Master

foxbat121 wrote:

Hope you guys' phone didn't end up like this http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/My-Samsung-Focus-USB-charge-port-amp-cable-melted/td-p/269...

No way, I was going to say the same thing! Smiley Very Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

foxbat121 wrote:

Hope you guys' phone didn't end up like this http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/My-Samsung-Focus-USB-charge-port-amp-cable-melted/td-p/2695759

No way, I was going to say the same thing! Smiley Very Happy

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

5 of 26 (12,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2011 5:29:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

Not sure on original poster, but the same thing happened to my Focus over this weekend (5/7/2011).  The beeping kept up so that I couldn't use apps/games with volume for the better part of Saturday, then Saturday night the battery icon finally stopped dropping the "charging" icon and my device has since smelled of burning electronics.

I contacted Samsung support and will be going to the AT&T store today, will share what either has to say when I get back.

Not sure on original poster, but the same thing happened to my Focus over this weekend (5/7/2011).  The beeping kept up so that I couldn't use apps/games with volume for the better part of Saturday, then Saturday night the battery icon finally stopped dropping the "charging" icon and my device has since smelled of burning electronics.

I contacted Samsung support and will be going to the AT&T store today, will share what either has to say when I get back.

6 of 26 (12,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2011 4:38:24 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by EvanHutnick on May 10, 2011 at 4:39:40 AM

Originally the warranty department was convinced it was a battery issue - which would not quite explain why the handset smelled like burning electronics. Right now waiting on a replacement handset to arrive under warranty exchange, but hate the fact that you have to agree to some absurd terms to get your exchange. For example, you send back your original handset when you receive your refurbished replacement, but if their "testing" determines that the original handset was not at fault they charge you $449 to your bill for the replacement. I could buy a new Focus for that much if I wanted to.

Honestly, I am happy a like-new handset is on its was, but this only re-affirms how much I dislike AT&T and how absurd their policies are. I had to fight to get them to listen to the fact that my handset smelled like it was burning rather than trying to get me to drive an hour away to check the battery. What is the point of a warranty if I have to miss a day of work to get them to investigate my handset to confirm it smells like it is burning? I've only been a paying customer for over 4 years now, you know, not like I had some pointless loyalty to the company or anything. And now I have to watch my bill to see what their "tests" confirm, with no idea how I can fight it if they try to charge me for the refurb unit.

I miss the days when companies actually cared about their customers.

Originally the warranty department was convinced it was a battery issue - which would not quite explain why the handset smelled like burning electronics. Right now waiting on a replacement handset to arrive under warranty exchange, but hate the fact that you have to agree to some absurd terms to get your exchange. For example, you send back your original handset when you receive your refurbished replacement, but if their "testing" determines that the original handset was not at fault they charge you $449 to your bill for the replacement. I could buy a new Focus for that much if I wanted to.

Honestly, I am happy a like-new handset is on its was, but this only re-affirms how much I dislike AT&T and how absurd their policies are. I had to fight to get them to listen to the fact that my handset smelled like it was burning rather than trying to get me to drive an hour away to check the battery. What is the point of a warranty if I have to miss a day of work to get them to investigate my handset to confirm it smells like it is burning? I've only been a paying customer for over 4 years now, you know, not like I had some pointless loyalty to the company or anything. And now I have to watch my bill to see what their "tests" confirm, with no idea how I can fight it if they try to charge me for the refurb unit.

I miss the days when companies actually cared about their customers.

[ Edited ]
7 of 26 (12,199 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2011 8:58:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

I had this problem on my samsung focus about two months ago and after connecting to my pc and zune it went away.  A few days ago it came back with a vengence and nothing I've tried made it go away.  I did software resets, a hard reset and tried all sorts of combinations plugging the charger in with or without the battery, none of which worked.  I gave up and returned the unit under warranty .  I was expecting a fight at the store, but the tech listened to my story,reset the battery,  heard the beeping start again, and sent me to the manager for warranty repair.  I'm hoping the little scratches on the back of the case don't cause issues on the return, we will see.

I had this problem on my samsung focus about two months ago and after connecting to my pc and zune it went away.  A few days ago it came back with a vengence and nothing I've tried made it go away.  I did software resets, a hard reset and tried all sorts of combinations plugging the charger in with or without the battery, none of which worked.  I gave up and returned the unit under warranty .  I was expecting a fight at the store, but the tech listened to my story,reset the battery,  heard the beeping start again, and sent me to the manager for warranty repair.  I'm hoping the little scratches on the back of the case don't cause issues on the return, we will see.

8 of 26 (11,950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2011 9:16:03 AM
(0)
Contributor

My Focus just failed againg (beeping), this will be the forth time!

My Focus just failed againg (beeping), this will be the forth time!

9 of 26 (11,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2011 5:04:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

One thing to consider, thinking back on this topic, is that this is a first run phone for a new OS.  Samsung may have screwed up a bit, but consider Apple releasing the iPhone 4 (4!) with major hardware flaws that caused calls to drop.  Thaknfully AT&T has been getting better (despite their sales people still being iOS/Android fanboys and girls that won't push Windows Phone at all), so from other people I've spoken to offline they've been very helpful with the defective Focus units.

One thing to consider, thinking back on this topic, is that this is a first run phone for a new OS.  Samsung may have screwed up a bit, but consider Apple releasing the iPhone 4 (4!) with major hardware flaws that caused calls to drop.  Thaknfully AT&T has been getting better (despite their sales people still being iOS/Android fanboys and girls that won't push Windows Phone at all), so from other people I've spoken to offline they've been very helpful with the defective Focus units.

10 of 26 (11,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 1:13:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have replaced my Focus 4 times because the beeping error. I has told that the Mango for Windows Phone 7 update will fix it. I am so temped to switch to Android as there is currently no solution to the problem.

I have replaced my Focus 4 times because the beeping error. I has told that the Mango for Windows Phone 7 update will fix it. I am so temped to switch to Android as there is currently no solution to the problem.

11 of 26 (10,202 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 1:36:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

You might be better off switching to one of the new Nokia devices or at least something coming out in the Mango wave.  Everyone I've spoken to with this issue seems to think it is an issue with Samsung hardware, but only impacting a very small percentage of Focus owners out there, so perhaps a different vendor will help you to keep enjoying the Windows Phone experience - sans beeping meltdown.

You might be better off switching to one of the new Nokia devices or at least something coming out in the Mango wave.  Everyone I've spoken to with this issue seems to think it is an issue with Samsung hardware, but only impacting a very small percentage of Focus owners out there, so perhaps a different vendor will help you to keep enjoying the Windows Phone experience - sans beeping meltdown.

12 of 26 (10,199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 10:11:41 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by bdlcks on Sep 27, 2011 at 10:14:13 AM

I have had this same issue and currently experiencing it for the second time. The first time I restrored my phone to factory settings and WP7 pre nodo with no luck. Following that attempt of self repair I sent the phone back to Samsung and they repaired my phone after about a 15 day wait. After receiving my phone back from Sammy and being convinced it was fixed I updated my phone to Mango and about 7 days later the phone started having the same issue again. IMO I dont think this is a software issue but more of a hardware issue that samsung is not coming clean on. My feelings at this point is that the WP7 is really good especially the mango flavor but the samsung phone may have a defect in its hardware. ATT and Samsung have shown fairly good customer support so far but I also feel that the issue should be diagnosed by Samsung or ATT and all users should be informed.

Note after the second time I decide to call ATT who are now sending me a refurbished samsung focus in place of my original one.

I have had this same issue and currently experiencing it for the second time. The first time I restrored my phone to factory settings and WP7 pre nodo with no luck. Following that attempt of self repair I sent the phone back to Samsung and they repaired my phone after about a 15 day wait. After receiving my phone back from Sammy and being convinced it was fixed I updated my phone to Mango and about 7 days later the phone started having the same issue again. IMO I dont think this is a software issue but more of a hardware issue that samsung is not coming clean on. My feelings at this point is that the WP7 is really good especially the mango flavor but the samsung phone may have a defect in its hardware. ATT and Samsung have shown fairly good customer support so far but I also feel that the issue should be diagnosed by Samsung or ATT and all users should be informed.

Note after the second time I decide to call ATT who are now sending me a refurbished samsung focus in place of my original one.

[ Edited ]
13 of 26 (10,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 10:55:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

I had this problem and took my phone to an AT&T device support center.  The gal at the center said that this is caused by a manufacturing problem where the micro-usb power/sync connector is not always reliably soldered to the PCB.  Sometimes the problem shows up right away, sometimes it takes a while.  AT&T gave me a new phone and so far it's been problem free.

I had this problem and took my phone to an AT&T device support center.  The gal at the center said that this is caused by a manufacturing problem where the micro-usb power/sync connector is not always reliably soldered to the PCB.  Sometimes the problem shows up right away, sometimes it takes a while.  AT&T gave me a new phone and so far it's been problem free.

14 of 26 (10,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 8:21:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just spent a half hour on the chat line getting an ATT rep up to speed on this issue.  Did not get in resolved with her.

I juggled the USB connector several times and now it seems to be OK.....temporarliy.

I think it might be the usb connector soldering connection as stated above.

It was the best phone I have had........now I am getting anxiety it will happen again. 

I just spent a half hour on the chat line getting an ATT rep up to speed on this issue.  Did not get in resolved with her.

I juggled the USB connector several times and now it seems to be OK.....temporarliy.

I think it might be the usb connector soldering connection as stated above.

It was the best phone I have had........now I am getting anxiety it will happen again. 

15 of 26 (10,032 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 10:44:00 AM
(0)
Tutor

Wife's phone had this problem. I think it's related to arcing across the contacts in the charge port.

Other posts online noted that this problem was sometimes accompanied by a condition in which the little tongue tab inside the charge port was slightly bent and arced across the interior of the charge port. Condition was fixed by using something thin, like a razor blade or pin, to straighten the tab and return the proper deadspace/clearance.

Wife's phone charge port was full of fuzz. Cleaning it out with compressed air solved the problem.

Keep that little door shut when not charging/syncing, so no more crud gets in there to arc it and cause the problem.

Wife's phone had this problem. I think it's related to arcing across the contacts in the charge port.

Other posts online noted that this problem was sometimes accompanied by a condition in which the little tongue tab inside the charge port was slightly bent and arced across the interior of the charge port. Condition was fixed by using something thin, like a razor blade or pin, to straighten the tab and return the proper deadspace/clearance.

Wife's phone charge port was full of fuzz. Cleaning it out with compressed air solved the problem.

Keep that little door shut when not charging/syncing, so no more crud gets in there to arc it and cause the problem.

16 of 26 (10,027 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 4:44:27 PM
(0)
Contributor
Sorry to tell you the Mango update did not fix this problem. I never actually had it before. But, I had Zune wireless Sync enabled and then I turned it off. I also had a situation where my battery was down to about 30%. Usually I recharge it all the time, so never gets below 50%. This started today on my phone when it was below half charged, and my wife sent me two text messages. I think it is a glitch in the low battery indicator. All is get is the beep beep tone - regardless of whether batttery saver is on or not. After it is charged I will see if it starts up again and when. I suspect it is a) low battery or b) it wants its wireless synb back (which just a week ago was enabled the first time, and disabled (aha!) yesterday evening. Watch this space for further developments.
Sorry to tell you the Mango update did not fix this problem. I never actually had it before. But, I had Zune wireless Sync enabled and then I turned it off. I also had a situation where my battery was down to about 30%. Usually I recharge it all the time, so never gets below 50%. This started today on my phone when it was below half charged, and my wife sent me two text messages. I think it is a glitch in the low battery indicator. All is get is the beep beep tone - regardless of whether batttery saver is on or not. After it is charged I will see if it starts up again and when. I suspect it is a) low battery or b) it wants its wireless synb back (which just a week ago was enabled the first time, and disabled (aha!) yesterday evening. Watch this space for further developments.

17 of 26 (9,827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 1:25:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

Mine just started doing it this morning clear out of the blue.

Mine just started doing it this morning clear out of the blue.

18 of 26 (9,775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 7:46:03 AM
(0)
Contributor
Spoiler

it just started happening to me too. I'm running Mango. It started fight after I added the AT&T 8gb sd card. I suspect the bent USB issue. Has anybody found another solution?

Also, when I try to connect to Zune my win 7 says the driver is bad which also indicates a USB issue. Reinstalling Zune did not fix this. Has anybody seen this?

Spoiler

it just started happening to me too. I'm running Mango. It started fight after I added the AT&T 8gb sd card. I suspect the bent USB issue. Has anybody found another solution?

Also, when I try to connect to Zune my win 7 says the driver is bad which also indicates a USB issue. Reinstalling Zune did not fix this. Has anybody seen this?

19 of 26 (9,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 11:41:03 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by timothystewart6 on Nov 28, 2011 at 12:20:09 PM

[ Edited ]
20 of 26 (9,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 8:24:16 AM
(0)
Contributor

went through 4 of these during 1 year warranty the beeping sound never fried. Problem now is it will not charge or turn on and no warranty. Have to buy something new. What a piece of cr_p.

went through 4 of these during 1 year warranty the beeping sound never fried. Problem now is it will not charge or turn on and no warranty. Have to buy something new. What a piece of cr_p.

21 of 26 (9,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 1:01:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

As nice as the Focus may be, I'm awaiting the Lumia 900 from Nokia. Looks like a decent upgrade to take advantage of all the latest features... plus Nokia has proven slightly more reliable than Samsung in the past for handsets.

As nice as the Focus may be, I'm awaiting the Lumia 900 from Nokia. Looks like a decent upgrade to take advantage of all the latest features... plus Nokia has proven slightly more reliable than Samsung in the past for handsets.

22 of 26 (9,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2012 3:11:19 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by stevekesler on Feb 25, 2012 at 3:28:04 PM

I am on my 2nd Focus, both with the same issue.  Same beep as when you connect the usb charger connector, but beeps start in a continuous loop.  Very annoying.

The 1st one started to continuously beep after about 90 days.  Now the 2nd one is starting the continuous beep after 6-9 months of ownership.  It just started out of the blue sitting on the counter. 

I worry whether my warranty is still in place.  It's a corporate phone, so I will have to deal with them on Monday.  Interestingly both of them started the beep loops on a Friday - LOL, that's my luck!

Two phones in a row with same issue for one customer, sure seems to be a build quality or design issue for the Samsung Focus...  It could be I receive two units from similar batches, as mine came from AT&T Corporate account service.

I am on my 2nd Focus, both with the same issue.  Same beep as when you connect the usb charger connector, but beeps start in a continuous loop.  Very annoying.

The 1st one started to continuously beep after about 90 days.  Now the 2nd one is starting the continuous beep after 6-9 months of ownership.  It just started out of the blue sitting on the counter. 

I worry whether my warranty is still in place.  It's a corporate phone, so I will have to deal with them on Monday.  Interestingly both of them started the beep loops on a Friday - LOL, that's my luck!

Two phones in a row with same issue for one customer, sure seems to be a build quality or design issue for the Samsung Focus...  It could be I receive two units from similar batches, as mine came from AT&T Corporate account service.

[ Edited ]
23 of 26 (9,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2012 8:41:08 AM
(0)
Contributor

I found that the old "leave the phone in a bag of rice overnight" solution fixed this one.  It looks like it is centered around condensation in the phone.  I have also seen it fixed by blowing compressed air into the micro USB on the phone.  Might just be a winter time thing.  It's really wet here in the Pacific northwest, and I have seen this a lot.  Not so much of a problem when it is warm.

I found that the old "leave the phone in a bag of rice overnight" solution fixed this one.  It looks like it is centered around condensation in the phone.  I have also seen it fixed by blowing compressed air into the micro USB on the phone.  Might just be a winter time thing.  It's really wet here in the Pacific northwest, and I have seen this a lot.  Not so much of a problem when it is warm.

24 of 26 (9,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 11:44:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

Mine was doing that.  was still in warranty.  i think it was the mango update.  ATT stated it was a defective USB Port.

Mine was doing that.  was still in warranty.  i think it was the mango update.  ATT stated it was a defective USB Port.

25 of 26 (9,101 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2012 7:37:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have had a working phone 15 months and 12 months are with Mango 7.5 and 32gb exp. card

It was perfect and is now perfect when plugged into computer usb or power cord. However, when there is no USB trickle charge it beeps constantly.

I tripped over the power cord last night while it was plugged in. Only afterwards have I had this persistent beeping issue. I expect it is regarding a physical issue 'contacts'. There is significant play in the USB contact however I never took notice of it before for comparison. Sounds like 'di~iing ding ding ... di~iing ding ding .. di~iing ding ding'. I looked it up and it is called 'Alert 3' I deleted all alarms in case something was stuck in memory but it didn't make any difference.

When not connected a power source; setting it to vibrate only also prevents constant ring. from notes I'll try cleaning usb contacts before finding out what makes this this tick. Feel like PeterGabriel song coming on 'Sledgehammer'

I have had a working phone 15 months and 12 months are with Mango 7.5 and 32gb exp. card

It was perfect and is now perfect when plugged into computer usb or power cord. However, when there is no USB trickle charge it beeps constantly.

I tripped over the power cord last night while it was plugged in. Only afterwards have I had this persistent beeping issue. I expect it is regarding a physical issue 'contacts'. There is significant play in the USB contact however I never took notice of it before for comparison. Sounds like 'di~iing ding ding ... di~iing ding ding .. di~iing ding ding'. I looked it up and it is called 'Alert 3' I deleted all alarms in case something was stuck in memory but it didn't make any difference.

When not connected a power source; setting it to vibrate only also prevents constant ring. from notes I'll try cleaning usb contacts before finding out what makes this this tick. Feel like PeterGabriel song coming on 'Sledgehammer'

26 of 26 (8,170 Views)