Samsung Focus / Windows Phone 7 update???

Tutor

Samsung Focus / Windows Phone 7 update???

The reps in the ATT store told all of us Focus owners to wait for a fix before we install SD cards.

Is there any official word on when this fix is coming, and what exactly is being fixed?

Message 1 of 14 (8,292 Views)
Scholar

Re: Samsung Focus / Windows Phone 7 update???

That's interesting.  My rep said nothing, and in fact he took the SD card from my Fuze and popped it into the Focus.  He didn't do a reformat or reset like the manual says on p. 1, so I don't even know if the device sees the card.

Message 2 of 14 (8,260 Views)
Guru

Forum postings all suggest that SanDisk cards work.

Personally, I have 16gb (class 2) in my Focus, with no problems.

Message 3 of 14 (8,188 Views)
Expert

having no issue with a Kingston 32GB class 4

Message 4 of 14 (8,154 Views)
Master

hapa papa wrote:

The reps in the ATT store told all of us Focus owners to wait for a fix before we install SD cards.

Is there any official word on when this fix is coming, and what exactly is being fixed?

There are known problems with some microSD cards that once you reboot your phone, you lost all your data. Microsoft is working on a fix for this problem. No one knows when this fix will be coming.

Message 5 of 14 (8,094 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Well even if they wont let the cards work in the phones, the need to release a tool that will allow these post WP7 flash cards to be reformatted. I can't find a program that will recognize that it has been inserted into my computer. ATM, not Windows, or any of the MicroSD formating tools ive tried will even see it. I've tried hot swapping, i.e. getting to the last step before formatting begins and swapping them, trying to force a format on my post WP7 card, it doesn't work.  

Message 6 of 14 (8,066 Views)
Scholar

You have to do a hard reset in order to format it.  Also it doesn't see the SD card as a separate device.  It see's it as a whole device.  so i you have a 16 gig card it will read 24gigs of data.

also i think some cards are not recognized by the device as well

Message 7 of 14 (8,027 Views)
Contributor

Message 8 of 14 (3,354 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

foxbat121 wrote:

hapa papa wrote:

There are known problems with some microSD cards that once you reboot your phone, you lost all your data. Microsoft is working on a fix for this problem. No one knows when this fix will be coming.

I had that happen to me.  I'm waiting for the fix.

Edit:  The card I used was a Sandisk card, so not all Sandisk cards work fine.

Message 9 of 14 (3,326 Views)

[ Edited ]

Let me explain the MicroSD scenario:

WP7 was never designed for removeable storage.  For this reason, when adding additional storage via a MicroSD card, it gets added to the main storage.  The only way to accomplish this is a hard reset of the device to the factory ship state. If you simply add the card and don't hard reset the device, the device will not see the additional storage.

The upcoming (today) NoDo update does not change this behaviour at all.  In addition, you cannot leverage the NoDo update process to upgrade the storage.  During the NoDo update process your device settings/content is backed up and restored.  The amount of storage MUST be the same during that process.  For example, you can't backup the Focus with 8GB and restore to Focus with 8GB+8GB=16GB during the NoDo update process.

Hope this information helps.

Message 10 of 14 (3,306 Views)
Scholar

Mike-ro-soft wrote:

Let me explain the MicroSD scenario:

WP7 was never designed for removeable storage.  For this reason, when adding additional storage via a MicroSD card, it gets added to the main storage.  The only way to accomplish this is a hard reset of the device to the factory ship state. If you simply add the card and don't hard reset the device, the device will not see the additional storage.

The upcoming (today) NoDo update does not change this behaviour at all.  In addition, you cannot leverage the NoDo update process to upgrade the storage.  During the NoDo update process your device settings/content is backed up and restored.  The amount of storage MUST be the same during that process.  For example, you can't backup the Focus with 8GB and restore to Focus with 8GB+8GB=16GB during the NoDo update process.

Hope this information helps.

Yes, I understand all that. The problem I had was that once I installed the SD card and reset my phone to use it, it worked fine for a while. At some point, I powered off my phone and when turing it back on, it said it could not read the SD card. I had to remove the card and factory reset my phone to use it without the card.
Message 11 of 14 (1,354 Views)

[ Edited ]

Seed 2.0 wrote:

Well even if they wont let the cards work in the phones, the need to release a tool that will allow these post WP7 flash cards to be reformatted. I can't find a program that will recognize that it has been inserted into my computer. ATM, not Windows, or any of the MicroSD formating tools ive tried will even see it. I've tried hot swapping, i.e. getting to the last step before formatting begins and swapping them, trying to force a format on my post WP7 card, it doesn't work.  

Some Nokia phone can reformat sd cards used on the Focus

http://blog.gsmarena.com/the-wp7-on-samsung-focus-is-not-a-card-killer-it-just-overprotective/

Message 12 of 14 (1,347 Views)

mvierling wrote:

Yes, I understand all that. The problem I had was that once I installed the SD card and reset my phone to use it, it worked fine for a while. At some point, I powered off my phone and when turing it back on, it said it could not read the SD card. I had to remove the card and factory reset my phone to use it without the card.

Was it a certified card?

Message 13 of 14 (1,296 Views)
Scholar

Mike-ro-soft wrote:
Was it a certified card?

Recently AT&T actually came out with a "Windows Certified" 8Gb Sandisk SDmicro Card for $32..

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-7-certified-memory-cards-start-showing-up-in-att-stores/

Message 14 of 14 (1,222 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.