Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Nov 10, 2010
9:00:30 AM
View profile
Samsung Focus / Windows Phone 7 update???

The reps in the ATT store told all of us Focus owners to wait for a fix before we install SD cards.

Is there any official word on when this fix is coming, and what exactly is being fixed?

The reps in the ATT store told all of us Focus owners to wait for a fix before we install SD cards.

Is there any official word on when this fix is coming, and what exactly is being fixed?

Samsung Focus / Windows Phone 7 update???

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 9:40:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

That's interesting.  My rep said nothing, and in fact he took the SD card from my Fuze and popped it into the Focus.  He didn't do a reformat or reset like the manual says on p. 1, so I don't even know if the device sees the card.

That's interesting.  My rep said nothing, and in fact he took the SD card from my Fuze and popped it into the Focus.  He didn't do a reformat or reset like the manual says on p. 1, so I don't even know if the device sees the card.

Re: Samsung Focus / Windows Phone 7 update???

2 of 14 (8,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 12:54:53 PM
(0)
Guru

Forum postings all suggest that SanDisk cards work.

Personally, I have 16gb (class 2) in my Focus, with no problems.

Forum postings all suggest that SanDisk cards work.

Personally, I have 16gb (class 2) in my Focus, with no problems.

3 of 14 (7,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 1:58:55 PM
(0)
Expert

having no issue with a Kingston 32GB class 4

having no issue with a Kingston 32GB class 4

4 of 14 (7,946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 6:19:16 PM
(0)
Master

hapa papa wrote:

There are known problems with some microSD cards that once you reboot your phone, you lost all your data. Microsoft is working on a fix for this problem. No one knows when this fix will be coming.

hapa papa wrote:

There are known problems with some microSD cards that once you reboot your phone, you lost all your data. Microsoft is working on a fix for this problem. No one knows when this fix will be coming.

5 of 14 (7,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 7:29:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well even if they wont let the cards work in the phones, the need to release a tool that will allow these post WP7 flash cards to be reformatted. I can't find a program that will recognize that it has been inserted into my computer. ATM, not Windows, or any of the MicroSD formating tools ive tried will even see it. I've tried hot swapping, i.e. getting to the last step before formatting begins and swapping them, trying to force a format on my post WP7 card, it doesn't work.  

Well even if they wont let the cards work in the phones, the need to release a tool that will allow these post WP7 flash cards to be reformatted. I can't find a program that will recognize that it has been inserted into my computer. ATM, not Windows, or any of the MicroSD formating tools ive tried will even see it. I've tried hot swapping, i.e. getting to the last step before formatting begins and swapping them, trying to force a format on my post WP7 card, it doesn't work.  

6 of 14 (7,858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 9:01:14 PM
(0)
Scholar

You have to do a hard reset in order to format it.  Also it doesn't see the SD card as a separate device.  It see's it as a whole device.  so i you have a 16 gig card it will read 24gigs of data.

also i think some cards are not recognized by the device as well

You have to do a hard reset in order to format it.  Also it doesn't see the SD card as a separate device.  It see's it as a whole device.  so i you have a 16 gig card it will read 24gigs of data.

also i think some cards are not recognized by the device as well

7 of 14 (7,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 3:58:03 AM
(0)
Contributor

8 of 14 (3,146 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 6:17:51 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by mvierling on Apr 19, 2011 at 6:18:52 AM

foxbat121 wrote:

hapa papa wrote:

I had that happen to me.  I'm waiting for the fix.

Edit:  The card I used was a Sandisk card, so not all Sandisk cards work fine.

foxbat121 wrote:

hapa papa wrote:

I had that happen to me.  I'm waiting for the fix.

Edit:  The card I used was a Sandisk card, so not all Sandisk cards work fine.

[ Edited ]
9 of 14 (3,118 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 6:46:01 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Mike-ro-soft on Apr 19, 2011 at 6:47:46 AM

Let me explain the MicroSD scenario:

WP7 was never designed for removeable storage.  For this reason, when adding additional storage via a MicroSD card, it gets added to the main storage.  The only way to accomplish this is a hard reset of the device to the factory ship state. If you simply add the card and don't hard reset the device, the device will not see the additional storage.

The upcoming (today) NoDo update does not change this behaviour at all.  In addition, you cannot leverage the NoDo update process to upgrade the storage.  During the NoDo update process your device settings/content is backed up and restored.  The amount of storage MUST be the same during that process.  For example, you can't backup the Focus with 8GB and restore to Focus with 8GB+8GB=16GB during the NoDo update process.

Hope this information helps.

WP7 was never designed for removeable storage.  For this reason, when adding additional storage via a MicroSD card, it gets added to the main storage.  The only way to accomplish this is a hard reset of the device to the factory ship state. If you simply add the card and don't hard reset the device, the device will not see the additional storage.

The upcoming (today) NoDo update does not change this behaviour at all.  In addition, you cannot leverage the NoDo update process to upgrade the storage.  During the NoDo update process your device settings/content is backed up and restored.  The amount of storage MUST be the same during that process.  For example, you can't backup the Focus with 8GB and restore to Focus with 8GB+8GB=16GB during the NoDo update process.

[ Edited ]
10 of 14 (3,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 8:33:32 AM
(0)
Scholar

Mike-ro-soft wrote:

Yes, I understand all that. The problem I had was that once I installed the SD card and reset my phone to use it, it worked fine for a while. At some point, I powered off my phone and when turing it back on, it said it could not read the SD card. I had to remove the card and factory reset my phone to use it without the card.

Mike-ro-soft wrote:

Yes, I understand all that. The problem I had was that once I installed the SD card and reset my phone to use it, it worked fine for a while. At some point, I powered off my phone and when turing it back on, it said it could not read the SD card. I had to remove the card and factory reset my phone to use it without the card.

11 of 14 (1,146 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 8:45:10 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by djekel_mrhyde on Apr 19, 2011 at 8:48:25 AM

Seed 2.0 wrote:

Some Nokia phone can reformat sd cards used on the Focus

http://blog.gsmarena.com/the-wp7-on-samsung-focus-is-not-a-card-killer-it-just-overprotective/

Seed 2.0 wrote:

Some Nokia phone can reformat sd cards used on the Focus

http://blog.gsmarena.com/the-wp7-on-samsung-focus-is-not-a-card-killer-it-just-overprotective/

[ Edited ]
12 of 14 (1,139 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 10:56:18 AM
(0)
Mentor

mvierling wrote:

Was it a certified card?

mvierling wrote:

Was it a certified card?

13 of 14 (1,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 9:09:51 PM
(0)
Scholar

Mike-ro-soft wrote:
Was it a certified card?

Recently AT&T actually came out with a "Windows Certified" 8Gb Sandisk SDmicro Card for $32..

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-7-certified-memory-cards-start-showing-up-in-att-stores/

Mike-ro-soft wrote:
Was it a certified card?

Recently AT&T actually came out with a "Windows Certified" 8Gb Sandisk SDmicro Card for $32..

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-7-certified-memory-cards-start-showing-up-in-att-stores/

14 of 14 (1,014 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments