Helpful Links

Samsung Focus - Soft Reset Erases Data?!? UPDATE

Teacher

Samsung Focus - Soft Reset Erases Data?!? UPDATE

Hello!  I just attempted a soft reset, and all my data including email accounts, apps, etc. were all erased!  To be clear, this was just holding down the power button, NOTHING MORE.  Smiley Sad

I have an 8GB MicroSD card installed, but after the soft reset when I check available storage it says Total Storage is 15.73 MB (YES MEGABYTES) and Availalbe is 7.33MB.

Anyone else try and perfrom a soft reset on their Focus?

UPDATE! I just spoke with the AT&T Store and they said they just received a note from Microsoft about MicroSD Cards.  Apparently WP7 OS is having an issue recognizing certain brands and will only officially support Microsoft's own SD cards.  I uninstalled my card, and now the soft reset issue is gone!

Message 1 of 61
Professor

Re: Samsung Focus - Soft Reset Erases Data?!? UPDATE

LonOrenstein wrote:

I've got the same problems as everyone else but I'm using an A-Data 16GB Class6 card from Newegg.  So, I'm not sure it's the card or the class -- I think it's a bug in the Phone7 where turning the phone completely OFF resets it.

The secret for me, after MANY hard resets with card in and card out, is to get to Downloading.  I let it run for 10+ minutes, then turn off the power, then IMMEDIATELY do another three button salue (anyone remember CTL+ALT+DEL) and answer Yes to Reformat. 

What is different is that the phone reiniitalizes to the "Let's get started" questions where is asks the language, timezone, etc.  If you can't get back to that, the 15MB reading won't go away.  I think it's the combination of Downloading (whatever it's doing???) and the immediate hard reset that is the answer. 

AND, I'm not going to power off the device -- let's call it a "hard power off" where it says Goodbye.  It really means Goodbye in this case to your SD card. 

Hope that helps,

Lon

You are using the same microSDHC card I am using from the same provider.  I am not having any problems either having followed the same process which you did. 

Message 31 of 61
Contributor

It may have to do with the format file system you chose.  NTFS is usually the default.  Make sure you format your micro sd using FAT32 before inserting it into the phone and the perform the reset from the settings menu.  I am using an off brand class 6 16gb card from newegg and have had no problems what so ever.

Message 32 of 61
Teacher

If anyone who previously had the problem of losing everything after powering off tries this (formatting FAT32 before inserting into the phone), please report back.

I'm somewhat hesitant to try it as I have the settings the way I would like....

Also, would the device be able to read the card if it wasn't formatted as it expected (FAT32)?

Message 33 of 61
Mentor

Same problem here with the Transcend 16gb Class 6 card. Followed the instructions on insertion. Powered off phone completely, inserted card and powered on using the key combination. Got to the Format screen, formatted, phone rebooted to the getting started screen. All was well with storage and sync until the first time the phone soft reset. Then it rebooted with no data and 15mb free storage. Had to hard reset, reformat, and now not letting the phone power off no matter what!

That is, until there's an update, or until I get my Transcend card exchanged.

Message 34 of 61
Teacher

joeonsunset wrote:

Same problem here with the Transcend 16gb Class 6 card. Followed the instructions on insertion. Powered off phone completely, inserted card and powered on using the key combination. Got to the Format screen, formatted, phone rebooted to the getting started screen. All was well with storage and sync until the first time the phone soft reset. Then it rebooted with no data and 15mb free storage. Had to hard reset, reformat, and now not letting the phone power off no matter what!

That is, until there's an update, or until I get my Transcend card exchanged.

Here's how I fixed it.  Uninstalled the Sd card.  Then reboot and do the FORMATTING step again, this time with only the internal memory.  Then everything goes back to normal.

I've actually found that other than games and pictures I am streaming a lot of content so anything greater than 8GB may not be necessary for a while.

Message 35 of 61
Teacher

Unfortunately the Zune software on the phone doesn't allow for streaming of podcasts, so when you start adding those to the device, it can start filling up... Smiley Sad

Message 36 of 61
Voyager

How did you get to the download mode? The only way I could get back to download mode was to take the SIM card out.

I am having the same sort of issues everyone else is reporting. I had the ATT store install a Kingston 32G Class 4 MicroSDHC. The Salesman did not know what he was doing and just inserted the card turned on the power and handed me the phone. I did not realize the card needed to be formated until I had everything configured and started to transfer my 16G Zune HD library to the phone and only saw 7.3 G of total storage. I then contacted ATT support and they did not know what a FOCUS was and sent me to Samsung. The Samsung support engineer said only 8G microsSDs could be used and only a couple had been tested. and did not mention the 3 button format operation.

I still did not know about the format but I did a reset from the About screen. At that point the about menu showed I think around 37GB of total storage (the original 8 + 32 on the MicroSD). Keeping in mind I did not do a format but I thought things were fine. I reconfigured everything again. I transfered my ZUNE library. I switched Outlook from the default storage to 30 days of history and I switched Hotmail from the default to all of my history. I then downloaded several dozen Free apps from the store and all of a sudden the phone started rebooting over and over again. I could not get back to the default tile menu to be able to do anything. Taking out the battery and putting it back nothing would keep the system from repeated reboots.

I finally found the 3 button format but I did it with the MicroSD removed and I ended up in the 15MB total memory mode. No amount of reformats, resets or anything else would get the oiginal 8G back. I could get the phone started enough to get to the menu but there is no room to do anything.

I saw your note about the download mode and tried for the past hour to get into that mode. I have finally gotten to that mode by removing the SIM card and it has been in that mode for 30 minutes now and has not completed. So I am going to try another format even though the download mode screen says do not turn off!!

Getting in the download mode with the SIM card out seems to be a waste of time. I guess there is nothing to download if you can't communicate. I finally after about 20 more tries I found if you format and then after the format completes and before the boot finished if you hold down the power button and get the machine to tuen off before the first boot finishes and you do the 3 button start again it will go into the download mode with the SIM card inserted. So I am waiting for another 10 minutes of download. Maybe it is doing something different that when the SIM card was removed.

No luck I still have a 15MB brick that shows a few pretty tiles but is pretty much worthless.

Bill Walter

Message 37 of 61
Contributor

1. Got Kingston 8GB Class 10 microSD card

2. Got Samsung Focus

3. Immediately powered off Focus and inserted microSD card

4. Powered on Focus (normal power on)

5. Verified only 8GB of memory registered in "About" menu

6. Reset phone from "About" menu

7. Verified 16GB of memory registered in "About" menu

8. Powered off phone accidentally due to "Body Glove" case causing the power/lock button to stay down every time you press it *see "Additional Notes"

9. Started phone back up

10. Verified only 15MB of memory registered in "About" menu

Since then I can produce the following results:

Without additional microSD card:

-Reset phone from powered off state using 3-button-combo: 8GB of memory is recognized until the device is powered off and on again, at which point it goes back to 15MB of memory being recognized

-Reset phone from "About" menu:  15MB of memory is recognized

With additional microSD card (starting from 15MB recognized state):

-Reset phone from powered off state using 3-button-combo: Phone freezes at "Windows Phone" loading screen indefinitely (waited as long as 45 minutes to no avail)

-Reset phone from "About" menu: UNTESTED

With additional microSD card (starting from 8GB recognized state):

-Reset phone from powered off state using 3-button-combo: UNTESTED

Additional Notes:

-When I try to download ilomilo (free game) from link in response to the "WP7" text message I sent to "123", on the first click or two I get a "Marketplace not available in your region/country" message.  On subsequent clicks, I get an error saying "Can't get this info right now.  Check back in a little while."

-When I try to connect to my Gmail mailbox, I get an error saying ""Oops! We're having a problem that we can't solve at the moment.  Try again later."

-When I try to connect to Xbox Live, I get an error saying "Can't get this info right now.  Check back in a little while."

*-The "Body Glove" case I purchased from an ATT store on the recommendation of a CSR has a pretty terrible flaw.  Whenever I press down the "power/lock" button, it stays depressed until I physically stretch/pull the case away from that button.  This doesn't seem to resolve itself as the case becomes broken in, and it is quite frankly un-bearable.  You cannot operate the device with this case, it will power on and off and go locked and unlocked haphazardly.

My thoughts:  ATT and Microsoft botched this launch super bad.

Message 38 of 61
Contributor

Update:

-Brought Focus back in

-Swapped it for a new one

-Threw away the now useless microSD card

-Let ATT/Microsoft fix the old Focus whenever they please

-Don't add a microSD card again!

Message 39 of 61
Teacher

Nice!  I was able to fix mine by taking out the MicroSB card and reformatting with hard reset but it took a few times.  

Message 40 of 61
Expert

wqwalter wrote:

How did you get to the download mode? The only way I could get back to download mode was to take the SIM card out.

I am having the same sort of issues everyone else is reporting. I had the ATT store install a Kingston 32G Class 4 MicroSDHC. The Salesman did not know what he was doing and just inserted the card turned on the power and handed me the phone. I did not realize the card needed to be formated until I had everything configured and started to transfer my 16G Zune HD library to the phone and only saw 7.3 G of total storage. I then contacted ATT support and they did not know what a FOCUS was and sent me to Samsung. The Samsung support engineer said only 8G microsSDs could be used and only a couple had been tested. and did not mention the 3 button format operation.

I still did not know about the format but I did a reset from the About screen. At that point the about menu showed I think around 37GB of total storage (the original 8 + 32 on the MicroSD). Keeping in mind I did not do a format but I thought things were fine. I reconfigured everything again. I transfered my ZUNE library. I switched Outlook from the default storage to 30 days of history and I switched Hotmail from the default to all of my history. I then downloaded several dozen Free apps from the store and all of a sudden the phone started rebooting over and over again. I could not get back to the default tile menu to be able to do anything. Taking out the battery and putting it back nothing would keep the system from repeated reboots.

I finally found the 3 button format but I did it with the MicroSD removed and I ended up in the 15MB total memory mode. No amount of reformats, resets or anything else would get the oiginal 8G back. I could get the phone started enough to get to the menu but there is no room to do anything.

I saw your note about the download mode and tried for the past hour to get into that mode. I have finally gotten to that mode by removing the SIM card and it has been in that mode for 30 minutes now and has not completed. So I am going to try another format even though the download mode screen says do not turn off!!

Getting in the download mode with the SIM card out seems to be a waste of time. I guess there is nothing to download if you can't communicate. I finally after about 20 more tries I found if you format and then after the format completes and before the boot finished if you hold down the power button and get the machine to tuen off before the first boot finishes and you do the 3 button start again it will go into the download mode with the SIM card inserted. So I am waiting for another 10 minutes of download. Maybe it is doing something different that when the SIM card was removed.

No luck I still have a 15MB brick that shows a few pretty tiles but is pretty much worthless.

Bill Walter

Running the exact same card with no issues. Took a few restarts to get the phone into the format mode, but finally did and it formated the card

total storage 37.07GB

Available Storage 34.89 GB

Been running fine since I got the phone on the 8th. Have had it in airplane mode and powered off other the period and no formats.

Message 41 of 61
Expert

madpear wrote:

1. Got Kingston 8GB Class 10 microSD card

2. Got Samsung Focus

3. Immediately powered off Focus and inserted microSD card

4. Powered on Focus (normal power on)

5. Verified only 8GB of memory registered in "About" menu

6. Reset phone from "About" menu

7. Verified 16GB of memory registered in "About" menu

8. Powered off phone accidentally due to "Body Glove" case causing the power/lock button to stay down every time you press it *see "Additional Notes"

9. Started phone back up

10. Verified only 15MB of memory registered in "About" menu

Since then I can produce the following results:

Without additional microSD card:

-Reset phone from powered off state using 3-button-combo: 8GB of memory is recognized until the device is powered off and on again, at which point it goes back to 15MB of memory being recognized

-Reset phone from "About" menu:  15MB of memory is recognized

With additional microSD card (starting from 15MB recognized state):

-Reset phone from powered off state using 3-button-combo: Phone freezes at "Windows Phone" loading screen indefinitely (waited as long as 45 minutes to no avail)

With additional microSD card (starting from 8GB recognized state):

-Reset phone from powered off state using 3-button-combo: UNTESTED

Additional Notes:

-When I try to download ilomilo (free game) from link in response to the "WP7" text message I sent to "123", on the first click or two I get a "Marketplace not available in your region/country" message.  On subsequent clicks, I get an error saying "Can't get this info right now.  Check back in a little while."

-When I try to connect to my Gmail mailbox, I get an error saying ""Oops! We're having a problem that we can't solve at the moment.  Try again later."

-When I try to connect to Xbox Live, I get an error saying "Can't get this info right now.  Check back in a little while."

*-The "Body Glove" case I purchased from an ATT store on the recommendation of a CSR has a pretty terrible flaw.  Whenever I press down the "power/lock" button, it stays depressed until I physically stretch/pull the case away from that button.  This doesn't seem to resolve itself as the case becomes broken in, and it is quite frankly un-bearable.  You cannot operate the device with this case, it will power on and off and go locked and unlocked haphazardly.

My thoughts:  ATT and Microsoft botched this launch super bad.

/rofl botched it??????????

Put Kingston 32GB call 4 crd in  phone, 3 or 4 tries to get it into format mode, card formated, 37GB available

Linked in my personal windows live accout with the startup wizard

Got the profile for my XBoxlive loaded

loaded the free game

loaded 9GB of music and video

downloaded about 12 apps from the market place (still hoping for Mapquest)

Powered off phone because of a flight

powered phone back on after flight in terminal waiting, watched a show on Uverse mobile while waiting for next flight (no erase)

Day 3 phone still going strong

Only put a screen protector on the phone, all of the cases that where avaliabe where crap (not ATT's fualt, just crappy cases). Hoping Otterbox releases a defender series for the phone, but waiting for one that has the same protection level.

A botched release comment is personal opinion, my opinion is no, it was opt botched. Might want to verify that your phone is properly registered with the ATT network. Only problme I had here was a normal one when switching form visual voicemail (Iphone) to the normal voice mail configuration and it took my about 5 minutes on the phone with ATT support to resolve that problem AND have verification sent to me that I still have the unlimited data plan from my iphone on the windows mobile device

Message 42 of 61
Contributor

Madpear, I love this. You painstakingly reported step-by-step how you tried all the things that everyone else reported don't work.  Then you SKIPPED all of the things that everyone is reporting DID work. Then you say that AT&T and Microsoft botched a launch where all phones except the Focus are working fine, because SAMSUNG has a hardware problem.  Then you went and got a new SAMSUNG phone with the same hardware problem, and are using it in a hobbled way that you could've used the original one, if you'd just tried to reset it in the manner that is working for everyone else, but that you skipped.

Really?

Message 43 of 61
Teacher

Yup. To fix remove the SD card, reformat using the 3 button method and then the phone will work normally again.

Message 44 of 61
Scholar

This discussion leaves me not knowing what to do.

When I bought my Focus on Monday morning, the sales person simply took my SD card from my Fuze and popped it in the Focus.  He didn't format or reset anything, or suggest I get another card.  When I check Settings/About, it shows total storage of 7.39GB and available storage of 6.46 GB.  So its not reading the SD card.  Which is fine for now, given the issues you all are having.  Now I don't even want to take it out or touch it.

Message 45 of 61
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support