Samsung Focus - Soft Reset Erases Data?!? UPDATE

Teacher

Samsung Focus - Soft Reset Erases Data?!? UPDATE

[ Edited ]

Hello!  I just attempted a soft reset, and all my data including email accounts, apps, etc. were all erased!  To be clear, this was just holding down the power button, NOTHING MORE.  Smiley Sad

I have an 8GB MicroSD card installed, but after the soft reset when I check available storage it says Total Storage is 15.73 MB (YES MEGABYTES) and Availalbe is 7.33MB.

Anyone else try and perfrom a soft reset on their Focus?

UPDATE! I just spoke with the AT&T Store and they said they just received a note from Microsoft about MicroSD Cards.  Apparently WP7 OS is having an issue recognizing certain brands and will only officially support Microsoft's own SD cards.  I uninstalled my card, and now the soft reset issue is gone!

Message 1 of 61 (9,114 Views)
Contributor

Re: Samsung Focus - Soft Reset Erases Data?!? UPDATE

To add my data point:

Samsung Focus with Transcend 16GB Class 6 uSD-HC card.

Same problems everyone else has.  When you turn off the phone using the power button, it factory resets and shows 15.73MB available.  Then you can do the Vol-down + Camera + Power bootup to initialize the full 24GB of RAM, and you're back to setting it all up.

This is sort of a pain, because then I have to set up my LiveID, gmail, Outlook Exchange Activesync, facebook, userids and passwords. Then I need to plug in and have all my apps and Zune content synched again (at least it remembers the apps I have).  Then I need to supply credentials for twitter, netflix, and all my other services.

So, for now, I'm just going with the Never Ever Ever Turn It Off strategy. And hoping I don't accidentally bump it.  If I hadn't installed the $30 Armor Guard faceplate thing, and wasn't facing a $35 restocking fee on top of the $35 restocking fee I paid for my Android, I'd either get the HTC device (which isn't upgradeable so forget that) or go back to my Android.  But, I think I'll deal with this for now, with the understanding that if Samsung/Microsoft doesn't patch their crap, they're going to have a fiasco that will make Microsoft Bob look like the Sony Walkman.

Message 46 of 61 (4,719 Views)
Contributor

Update:

For those who criticized my method... I did go ahead and try those other methods before swapping my phone out with the following results:

With additional microSD card (starting from 15MB recognized state):

-Reset phone from "About" menu: Phone freezes at "Windows Phone" loading screen indefinitely (waited as long as 45 minutes to no avail)

With additional microSD card (starting from 8GB recognized state):

-Reset phone from powered off state using 3-button-combo: Phone freezes at "Windows Phone" loading screen indefinitely (waited as long as 45 minutes to no avail)

-Reset phone from "About" menu: Phone freezes at "Windows Phone" loading screen indefinitely (waited as long as 45 minutes to no avail)

I am aware that for some of you, the 3-button-combo master reset solved your issue completely.  For some of you who think it did, you may find that when you power cycle it, your memory starts to fail again.  For those of you for whom your additional memory continues to be recognized even after power cycles, congratulations, it appears you got a compatible card.  However, that is not the case for me.  The ATT rep tried all the same things you have suggested and that I tried on my own repeatedly to no avail.  That is why he swapped my phone out and waived the restock fee.  For those of you who presume I'm just "not doing the right process", take a pause to remember that each microSD card is different, and it is entirely possible that your card may work and mine does not even though I am doing the "right process".  If all cards worked perfectly when you follow the instructions, there would not be a memo sent to ATT employees, this thread would not exist, Microsoft wouldn't be scrambling to release a patch, and there wouldn't be plentiful news articles on well-regarding technology sites regarding this issue.

Additionally, the CSR agreed with me that the Body Glove case powers off the phone unintentionally all the time and expressed that he got rid of the case for his own unit which he was assigned to test.

Message 47 of 61 (4,673 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

DON'T THROW AWAY YOUR POST WP7 MicroSD cards.  It is being reported that Windows Mobile 6.5 is able to reformat these cards we have that WP7 encrypted. That's why no other devices can see them after we format them in WP7 handsets, ie Focus. You put you flash into adapter, insert into win mobile 6.5 handset, and format it. Then take it out and add to PC to format to your desired specs. 

Message 48 of 61 (4,621 Views)
Contributor

I have a 32Gb Sandisk (class 2). I accidentally soft reset my phone this morning and in suprise found this thread. Here's exactly what I did to fix the issue and I only expect it to work with class 2 cards from sandisk.

DO a hard reset that was specifically given in great detail in the previous post (phone off mem card inserted). Until you can see full memory through a soft reset keep hard reseting. I did this and installed a few apps. They now persist through soft reset and mem available is 35 GB.

Hope this helps someone.

Message 49 of 61 (4,261 Views)
Mentor

Like I said, I just performed a hard reset, reformatted the card, and as long as you don't let the phone power off--you're okay.

Message 50 of 61 (4,239 Views)
Teacher

Message 51 of 61 (3,129 Views)

I have had my Windows Phone 7 Samsung Focus since Nov 9th 2010. I just bought the Sandisk 16g 2 class micro SDHC. I had some music, pictures and contacts on the phone. Also had everyting in Windows Live sync with the cloud. I turned the phone off inserted the SD card, turned the phone back on went to settings,about and did a reset. Now I have 22.02 available storage. Set up the windows live account and all my music phots and contacts  are right back. So far no trouble.

Message 52 of 61 (2,984 Views)
Teacher

Try a soft reset THEN see what happens. Smiley Wink

Message 53 of 61 (2,982 Views)

I did that, just turned the phone off, let it sit then turned it back on. Is that a soft reset?. I'm trying everything before my 30 days is up. If something goes wrong, I'm out.

Message 54 of 61 (2,963 Views)

Just did another soft reset. Held the power button in till it said goodbye. Then power back up, memory still there all data still there. The Sandisk 16gb class 2 works. I added this after used the phone for 2 weeks. I have messed up my sync with Office mobile and Onenote, It was my fault, deleted some folders now can't sync anything.

Message 55 of 61 (2,959 Views)
Expert

1. kingston 32GB class 4 card

2. multiple power offs and no loss of data

Message 56 of 61 (2,938 Views)
Contributor

I have had my Samsung Focus for a week.  First week, after setting up as new user, went fine.  Two days ago I installed a SandDisk 32GB microSDHC Card.  Only use the Settings>About>Reset after the install which (correctly) took me back to factory defaults, loosing all my setting and data.  Setting->About shows 36.9GB of memory.  Then, started over setting up new user and loaded about 25GB of music with 11.15GB available storage.

But, now the phone is self-rebooting back to the factory defaults apparently loosing all of my user setting/data ON OCCASION (2 to 3 times a day).  However, I can then power off ("good-bye"), wait a minute and then power on to recover all of MY settings and all my data, nothing lost.

I never saw the "Are you sure you want to format?" screen and went with the Settings>About>Reset after installing the memory card based on a post to the Internet.

Now I am confused!  Why am I showing 36.9GB total storage without ever formatting?  Or did it format?  Should I start over with the 3-button reset as per the manual?  Might that cause the phone to start behaving?  Or, is it that it just doesn't like the 32GB memory card as per the warnings from Microsoft. (It is not "Microsoft Certified" as far as I can tell).

Message 57 of 61 (2,725 Views)
Contributor

This is an update.  My Focus with the 32GB Sandisk memory card continued to reset back to initial setting, 2 or 3 times a day.  Although, I was always able to get back to my data/setting by turning it off and back on.  That was the case until two days ago when it reset to initial setting and refused to return to my data/setting, no matter what I did.  So, I pulled out the Sandisk 32GB memory card, reformatted back to 8GB and reentered all my settings and data.  Luckily, Windows Live had all of my contacts that were then reloaded into the phone.   I am sticking with only the 8GB until Microsoft figures this all out.

Message 58 of 61 (2,540 Views)
Contributor

I thought I would post something here, since my Focus just erased everything today as well.  I do NOT have any other SD cards in the phone.  I am using a bone stock Samsung Focus.  My marketplace froze today, so I did a soft reset.  All I did was hold the power button down.  I did NOT press the camera or volume key.  The phone said goodbye.  I powered it back up, and when it turned on it gave me the Windows Phone welcome screen and I had to choose the language for my phone.

I lost all my pictures, contacts, everything.  Luckily, my contacts are resynced easily with google and facebook, but all my picures and videos and things I valued were erased.  Not sure if this is a bug or what, but I will think twice next time I go to reset my phone.  I can't remind myself to back up every picture I take by sending it to Windows Live.

I still love this phone, but c'mon.  If I can't rely on it being able to handle a soft reset, then it's gotta go until an update comes.

Message 59 of 61 (2,411 Views)
Contributor

OMG , MY PHONE IS WORKING PERFECTLY NOW , THANK U VERY MUCH JUNIOR CZAR , I'M SOOOOOOOO HAPPY NOW..........Smiley Very Happy 

Message 60 of 61 (2,296 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.