Posted Nov 8, 2010
10:20:11 AM
View profile
Samsung Focus - Soft Reset Erases Data?!? UPDATE
Edited by PerfectCr on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:50:56 AM

Hello!  I just attempted a soft reset, and all my data including email accounts, apps, etc. were all erased!  To be clear, this was just holding down the power button, NOTHING MORE.  :smileysad:

I have an 8GB MicroSD card installed, but after the soft reset when I check available storage it says Total Storage is 15.73 MB (YES MEGABYTES) and Availalbe is 7.33MB.

Anyone else try and perfrom a soft reset on their Focus?

UPDATE! I just spoke with the AT&T Store and they said they just received a note from Microsoft about MicroSD Cards.  Apparently WP7 OS is having an issue recognizing certain brands and will only officially support Microsoft's own SD cards.  I uninstalled my card, and now the soft reset issue is gone!

Samsung Focus - Soft Reset Erases Data?!? UPDATE

[ Edited ]
60 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(60)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 11:23:39 AM
(0)
Guru

I'm glad it wasn't a permanent problem, although it's a shame about the memory card being wasted.

So others can avoid the same issue, could you please consider posting the brand and kind of card you were trying to use?

Re: Samsung Focus - Soft Reset Erases Data?!? UPDATE

2 of 61 (8,797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 1:19:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

So what is the brand/version that MS will support?

Are these the AT&T branded cards?

3 of 61 (8,729 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 1:46:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

I had the same problem with my Focus today.  After I removed the MicroSD and rebooted it, shows the 15MB memoryTotal storage and I can not get it back to normal.  With only like 7-10MB of available storage, just about everythign I try to do on this phone fails.  I've tried multiple hardware resets and the about, reset your phone doesn't actually do anything.  Since all the local stores are out of the Focus, I'm stuck right now unless I can figure out how to get the phone to recognize the full 8GB of memory!?

4 of 61 (8,702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 1:55:57 PM
(0)
Scholar

take out your SD card and it should fix the problem.  i guess only certain sd cards are working.

5 of 61 (8,683 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 2:36:03 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by prubin on Nov 8, 2010 at 2:36:19 PM

my phone supporting SanDisk 16gb (class 2) - no problems

[ Edited ]
6 of 61 (8,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 4:44:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm having the same problem.  I bought a Transcend 16GB Class 6.  My phone was working fine since the morning and then I noticed WIFI stopped working.  I then tried to reboot the phone and it wouldn't boot.  I took out the memory card, and the phone reset and I could boot up.  Just to test, I put the memory card back in, and the phone stopped booting again.  I took the memory card out, and it booted up fine.  Without the memory card, my phone is stuck at 15MB as well.  I can't seem to get it to be at 8GB again. 

So really 2 problems:

1. Why is the phone freezing wiht the memory card?

2. Why is it only showing 15MB even after resetting the phone?

7 of 61 (8,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 6:13:14 PM
(0)
Teacher

Mine was a Trancend 8GB Class 6 from Newegg.com.  Once you remove the SD Card, do the FORMAT reset as outline in a different thread (hold down Camera, down volume button, and power) to format the memory.  It will then reboot and you'll have the full 8GB back!

Shame about the MicroSD support.  I suppose we'll see more in the coming days about this. 

8 of 61 (8,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 6:15:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

prubin wrote:

my phone supporting SanDisk 16gb (class 2) - no problems

Have you tried doing a soft reset?  Try it and see what happens.  I thought it was working fine too until I did this.

9 of 61 (8,551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 6:19:21 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Paolo01 on Nov 8, 2010 at 6:21:38 PM

Ok guys, I have helped two other people with their phones in the att store today.  I had a 16GB class 6, and both others had 8GB class 6 cards.  NONE of them were recognized initially.  You have to follow the tutorial instructions exactly and then they all worked.  You have to manually select FORMAT for the card while it is in the phone.  You can only get to this option from the off opsition HARD reset.  read my post in the two weeks thread and the tips thread.  It will work.  We got three of us working today.  It takes seconds to fix.

Be VERY deliberate about the format process when you put your new microSDHC card in the phone.  Follow the directions on this link.

http://www.wireless.att.com/support/tutorials.do?tutorialsCategory=Getting+Started&tutorialId=877530...

Phone must be OFF to start this process!

1. Simultaneously press and hold the Camera key, Volume down key, and Power key.
  2. Once the phone vibrates, release the Power key while still holding down the Camera and Volume down keys.
  3. When the "Format" prompt is displayed on screen, release the Camera and Volume down keys, press the WINDOWS key.
  4. Press the Windows key again to confirm formatting.
  5. Once the format is completed, the Initial setup will be displayed.
  6. Verify the available memory has been updated by tapping Settings > About.

These steps will work.  The quick start is a lettle less specific and stumped me for a bit.  I ended up with 22GB after inserting my 16GB card.

[ Edited ]
10 of 61 (8,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 6:28:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

yeah that works fine, but the problem is that when i restart the phone it loses the settings.

11 of 61 (3,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 6:32:18 PM
(0)
Explorer

I did exactly what you described and it does work.  That is until you power cycle the phone.  Then it forgets everything it been taught and you have to start over.  At least that's what happened to me.

12 of 61 (3,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 6:36:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yep, that's what happens for me too.  When you reboot the phone, it starts having issues again and needs to be hard reset/formatted.

13 of 61 (3,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 6:53:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

from what i have observed in other places in the internet if you use SanDisk Class 2 it works fine. hmm...

I used a Trascend 16GB class 6 and ran to the same issues.

14 of 61 (3,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 7:40:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

All of the corporate stores were sold out of the Focus in my area, so I had to go to an authorized reseller. They didn't really know anything about the phone (apparently I was the first person to buy one at 5pm), but when I mentioned a microSD card for the Focus, they showed me an urgent message from AT&T instructing their sales people to prevent customers from using a microSD card with the phone pending an update from Microsoft due to data corruption. 

15 of 61 (3,530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 7:43:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

So is this a vendor issue or a class issue?  Guidelines were too get the fastest card for speed.  But it also appears that cards other than class 2 don't seem to be working from the posts.

16 of 61 (3,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 7:50:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

I think it's a software issue since ATT sent out a company wide e-mail telling customers to wait for the update.  What I am doing in the meantime, I will use the internal 8GB, return my Transcend 16GB, wait for the software update, and see what people are reporting afterwards.  I'll then decide on what card I want.

17 of 61 (3,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 7:57:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

if we don't get a solution in a timely manner i'm returning my current card and buying a class 2 San Disk.

18 of 61 (3,500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 2:11:39 AM
(0)
Professor

Well as stated earlier, after going through the phones onboard 'Format' process, my Adata 16GB class 6 has worked fine.  No problems.  Mind you, I tested it to ensure it was not gray market before installing it.

19 of 61 (3,432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 3:05:54 AM
(0)
Expert

Paolo01 wrote:

Well as stated earlier, after going through the phones onboard 'Format' process, my Adata 16GB class 6 has worked fine.  No problems.  Mind you, I tested it to ensure it was not gray market before installing it.

Have a 32GB Class 4 kingston in the phone, have had no issues with it, have done a soft reset of the phone and a power off let it sit all night and power back on, everything is still there

20 of 61 (3,424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 3:51:30 AM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

Have a 32GB Class 4 kingston in the phone, have had no issues with it, have done a soft reset of the phone and a power off let it sit all night and power back on, everything is still there

Wingrider, I really believe that people are putting their new drives in and soft resetting and not going through the FORMAT process which is different.  WP7 states that if you do not do the format these issues will occur.  I had these issues for the first few hours I used the phone until I realized I had the 15.7MB issue and not 22 GB.  I pulled the card out.  Soft reset and still had 15.7MB.  I learned to format and had 8GB back and then inserted the card, re formatted and had 22GB.  That easy.  The phone MUST be formatted, not simply re started.

21 of 61 (3,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 4:32:07 AM
(0)
Explorer

In my case you're wrong.  I did the format per the instructions and had it show me ~20Gb of available space, then it worked fine until I power cycled the device.

22 of 61 (3,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 5:25:58 AM
(0)
Guru

you can also Hard Reset your phone by going to "Setting">"About"> and at bottom of page "reset your phone".

23 of 61 (3,289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 5:44:35 AM
(0)
Professor

prubin wrote:

you can also Hard Reset your phone by going to "Setting">"About"> and at bottom of page "reset your phone".

That HARD RESET will NOT reformat your card.  At least, it would not mine.  You have to use the format function with the little yellow triangle.

24 of 61 (3,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 5:59:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

Paolo01,

Unfortunately the first time I tried, I didn't format the memory; only did a hard reset.

The second time I did the format, but with the same results - everything works fine until I turned the phone off and back on.

So even following the format instructions, there's something wrong happening when using certain cards...

25 of 61 (3,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 6:15:22 AM
(0)
Contributor

Transcend 16GB Class 6.

Same issue as others reported. Formatted the phone with the card in it, configured/installed/synced a pile of stuff... all of it gone after power-cycling the phone. Same 15mb free space reporting after restarting.

26 of 61 (3,251 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 6:56:49 AM
(0)
Teacher

Paolo01 wrote:

Wingrider, I really believe that people are putting their new drives in and soft resetting and not going through the FORMAT process which is different.

Sorry you believe that.  I followed the proper instructions to  a "T".  I formatted properly and all, still didn't work upon soft reset.

27 of 61 (3,222 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 7:23:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

Sounds like a lot of us that are having problems are using the Transcend 16gb class 6 cards...

Wonder if there's something with this specific brand/model causing issues?

28 of 61 (3,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 7:37:00 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well, either way, I am returning the Transcend and just ordered a Sandisk 16GB Class 2.  I haven't seen anybody complain about having trouble with those.

29 of 61 (3,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 8:12:57 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've got the same problems as everyone else but I'm using an A-Data 16GB Class6 card from Newegg.  So, I'm not sure it's the card or the class -- I think it's a bug in the Phone7 where turning the phone completely OFF resets it.

The secret for me, after MANY hard resets with card in and card out, is to get to Downloading.  I let it run for 10+ minutes, then turn off the power, then IMMEDIATELY do another three button salue (anyone remember CTL+ALT+DEL) and answer Yes to Reformat. 

What is different is that the phone reiniitalizes to the "Let's get started" questions where is asks the language, timezone, etc.  If you can't get back to that, the 15MB reading won't go away.  I think it's the combination of Downloading (whatever it's doing???) and the immediate hard reset that is the answer. 

AND, I'm not going to power off the device -- let's call it a "hard power off" where it says Goodbye.  It really means Goodbye in this case to your SD card. 

Hope that helps,

Lon

30 of 61 (3,153 Views)