Samsung Focus - Soft Reset Erases Data?!? UPDATE

Teacher

Samsung Focus - Soft Reset Erases Data?!? UPDATE

[ Edited ]

Hello!  I just attempted a soft reset, and all my data including email accounts, apps, etc. were all erased!  To be clear, this was just holding down the power button, NOTHING MORE.  Smiley Sad

I have an 8GB MicroSD card installed, but after the soft reset when I check available storage it says Total Storage is 15.73 MB (YES MEGABYTES) and Availalbe is 7.33MB.

Anyone else try and perfrom a soft reset on their Focus?

UPDATE! I just spoke with the AT&T Store and they said they just received a note from Microsoft about MicroSD Cards.  Apparently WP7 OS is having an issue recognizing certain brands and will only officially support Microsoft's own SD cards.  I uninstalled my card, and now the soft reset issue is gone!

Message 1 of 61 (9,108 Views)
Tutor

Re: Samsung Focus - Soft Reset Erases Data?!? UPDATE

So is this a vendor issue or a class issue?  Guidelines were too get the fastest card for speed.  But it also appears that cards other than class 2 don't seem to be working from the posts.

Message 16 of 61 (3,753 Views)
Tutor

I think it's a software issue since ATT sent out a company wide e-mail telling customers to wait for the update.  What I am doing in the meantime, I will use the internal 8GB, return my Transcend 16GB, wait for the software update, and see what people are reporting afterwards.  I'll then decide on what card I want.

Message 17 of 61 (3,744 Views)
Teacher

if we don't get a solution in a timely manner i'm returning my current card and buying a class 2 San Disk.

Message 18 of 61 (3,731 Views)
Professor

Well as stated earlier, after going through the phones onboard 'Format' process, my Adata 16GB class 6 has worked fine.  No problems.  Mind you, I tested it to ensure it was not gray market before installing it.

Message 19 of 61 (3,663 Views)
Expert

Paolo01 wrote:

Well as stated earlier, after going through the phones onboard 'Format' process, my Adata 16GB class 6 has worked fine.  No problems.  Mind you, I tested it to ensure it was not gray market before installing it.

Have a 32GB Class 4 kingston in the phone, have had no issues with it, have done a soft reset of the phone and a power off let it sit all night and power back on, everything is still there

Message 20 of 61 (3,655 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

Have a 32GB Class 4 kingston in the phone, have had no issues with it, have done a soft reset of the phone and a power off let it sit all night and power back on, everything is still there

Wingrider, I really believe that people are putting their new drives in and soft resetting and not going through the FORMAT process which is different.  WP7 states that if you do not do the format these issues will occur.  I had these issues for the first few hours I used the phone until I realized I had the 15.7MB issue and not 22 GB.  I pulled the card out.  Soft reset and still had 15.7MB.  I learned to format and had 8GB back and then inserted the card, re formatted and had 22GB.  That easy.  The phone MUST be formatted, not simply re started.

Message 21 of 61 (3,560 Views)
Explorer

In my case you're wrong.  I did the format per the instructions and had it show me ~20Gb of available space, then it worked fine until I power cycled the device.

Message 22 of 61 (3,547 Views)
Guru

you can also Hard Reset your phone by going to "Setting">"About"> and at bottom of page "reset your phone".

Message 23 of 61 (3,520 Views)
Professor

prubin wrote:

you can also Hard Reset your phone by going to "Setting">"About"> and at bottom of page "reset your phone".

That HARD RESET will NOT reformat your card.  At least, it would not mine.  You have to use the format function with the little yellow triangle.

Message 24 of 61 (3,501 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Paolo01,

Unfortunately the first time I tried, I didn't format the memory; only did a hard reset.

The second time I did the format, but with the same results - everything works fine until I turned the phone off and back on.

So even following the format instructions, there's something wrong happening when using certain cards...

Message 25 of 61 (3,491 Views)
Contributor

Transcend 16GB Class 6.

Same issue as others reported. Formatted the phone with the card in it, configured/installed/synced a pile of stuff... all of it gone after power-cycling the phone. Same 15mb free space reporting after restarting.

Message 26 of 61 (3,482 Views)
Teacher

Paolo01 wrote:

Wingrider, I really believe that people are putting their new drives in and soft resetting and not going through the FORMAT process which is different.

Sorry you believe that.  I followed the proper instructions to  a "T".  I formatted properly and all, still didn't work upon soft reset.

Message 27 of 61 (3,453 Views)
Teacher

Sounds like a lot of us that are having problems are using the Transcend 16gb class 6 cards...

Wonder if there's something with this specific brand/model causing issues?

Message 28 of 61 (3,424 Views)
Tutor

Well, either way, I am returning the Transcend and just ordered a Sandisk 16GB Class 2.  I haven't seen anybody complain about having trouble with those.

Message 29 of 61 (3,409 Views)
Contributor

I've got the same problems as everyone else but I'm using an A-Data 16GB Class6 card from Newegg.  So, I'm not sure it's the card or the class -- I think it's a bug in the Phone7 where turning the phone completely OFF resets it.

The secret for me, after MANY hard resets with card in and card out, is to get to Downloading.  I let it run for 10+ minutes, then turn off the power, then IMMEDIATELY do another three button salue (anyone remember CTL+ALT+DEL) and answer Yes to Reformat. 

What is different is that the phone reiniitalizes to the "Let's get started" questions where is asks the language, timezone, etc.  If you can't get back to that, the 15MB reading won't go away.  I think it's the combination of Downloading (whatever it's doing???) and the immediate hard reset that is the answer. 

AND, I'm not going to power off the device -- let's call it a "hard power off" where it says Goodbye.  It really means Goodbye in this case to your SD card. 

Hope that helps,

Lon

Message 30 of 61 (3,384 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.