Samsung Focus - Soft Reset Erases Data?!? UPDATE

Teacher

Samsung Focus - Soft Reset Erases Data?!? UPDATE

[ Edited ]

Hello!  I just attempted a soft reset, and all my data including email accounts, apps, etc. were all erased!  To be clear, this was just holding down the power button, NOTHING MORE.  Smiley Sad

I have an 8GB MicroSD card installed, but after the soft reset when I check available storage it says Total Storage is 15.73 MB (YES MEGABYTES) and Availalbe is 7.33MB.

Anyone else try and perfrom a soft reset on their Focus?

UPDATE! I just spoke with the AT&T Store and they said they just received a note from Microsoft about MicroSD Cards.  Apparently WP7 OS is having an issue recognizing certain brands and will only officially support Microsoft's own SD cards.  I uninstalled my card, and now the soft reset issue is gone!

Message 1 of 61 (9,134 Views)

Re: Samsung Focus - Soft Reset Erases Data?!? UPDATE

I'm glad it wasn't a permanent problem, although it's a shame about the memory card being wasted.

So others can avoid the same issue, could you please consider posting the brand and kind of card you were trying to use?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 61 (9,041 Views)
Teacher

So what is the brand/version that MS will support?

Are these the AT&T branded cards?

Message 3 of 61 (8,973 Views)
Scholar

I had the same problem with my Focus today.  After I removed the MicroSD and rebooted it, shows the 15MB memoryTotal storage and I can not get it back to normal.  With only like 7-10MB of available storage, just about everythign I try to do on this phone fails.  I've tried multiple hardware resets and the about, reset your phone doesn't actually do anything.  Since all the local stores are out of the Focus, I'm stuck right now unless I can figure out how to get the phone to recognize the full 8GB of memory!?

Message 4 of 61 (8,946 Views)
Scholar

take out your SD card and it should fix the problem.  i guess only certain sd cards are working.

Message 5 of 61 (8,927 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

[ Edited ]

my phone supporting SanDisk 16gb (class 2) - no problems

Message 6 of 61 (8,898 Views)
Tutor

I'm having the same problem.  I bought a Transcend 16GB Class 6.  My phone was working fine since the morning and then I noticed WIFI stopped working.  I then tried to reboot the phone and it wouldn't boot.  I took out the memory card, and the phone reset and I could boot up.  Just to test, I put the memory card back in, and the phone stopped booting again.  I took the memory card out, and it booted up fine.  Without the memory card, my phone is stuck at 15MB as well.  I can't seem to get it to be at 8GB again. 

So really 2 problems:

1. Why is the phone freezing wiht the memory card?

2. Why is it only showing 15MB even after resetting the phone?

Message 7 of 61 (8,846 Views)
Teacher

Mine was a Trancend 8GB Class 6 from Newegg.com.  Once you remove the SD Card, do the FORMAT reset as outline in a different thread (hold down Camera, down volume button, and power) to format the memory.  It will then reboot and you'll have the full 8GB back!

Shame about the MicroSD support.  I suppose we'll see more in the coming days about this. 

Message 8 of 61 (8,796 Views)
Teacher

prubin wrote:

my phone supporting SanDisk 16gb (class 2) - no problems

Have you tried doing a soft reset?  Try it and see what happens.  I thought it was working fine too until I did this.

Message 9 of 61 (8,795 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Ok guys, I have helped two other people with their phones in the att store today.  I had a 16GB class 6, and both others had 8GB class 6 cards.  NONE of them were recognized initially.  You have to follow the tutorial instructions exactly and then they all worked.  You have to manually select FORMAT for the card while it is in the phone.  You can only get to this option from the off opsition HARD reset.  read my post in the two weeks thread and the tips thread.  It will work.  We got three of us working today.  It takes seconds to fix.

Be VERY deliberate about the format process when you put your new microSDHC card in the phone.  Follow the directions on this link.

http://www.wireless.att.com/support/tutorials.do?tutorialsCategory=Getting+Started&tutorialId=877530...

Phone must be OFF to start this process!

1. Simultaneously press and hold the Camera key, Volume down key, and Power key.
  2. Once the phone vibrates, release the Power key while still holding down the Camera and Volume down keys.
  3. When the "Format" prompt is displayed on screen, release the Camera and Volume down keys, press the WINDOWS key.
  4. Press the Windows key again to confirm formatting.
  5. Once the format is completed, the Initial setup will be displayed.
  6. Verify the available memory has been updated by tapping Settings > About.

These steps will work.  The quick start is a lettle less specific and stumped me for a bit.  I ended up with 22GB after inserting my 16GB card.

Message 10 of 61 (8,786 Views)
Teacher

yeah that works fine, but the problem is that when i restart the phone it loses the settings.

Message 11 of 61 (3,827 Views)
Explorer

I did exactly what you described and it does work.  That is until you power cycle the phone.  Then it forgets everything it been taught and you have to start over.  At least that's what happened to me.

Message 12 of 61 (3,831 Views)
Tutor

Yep, that's what happens for me too.  When you reboot the phone, it starts having issues again and needs to be hard reset/formatted.

Message 13 of 61 (3,827 Views)
Teacher

from what i have observed in other places in the internet if you use SanDisk Class 2 it works fine. hmm...

I used a Trascend 16GB class 6 and ran to the same issues.

Message 14 of 61 (3,812 Views)
Tutor

All of the corporate stores were sold out of the Focus in my area, so I had to go to an authorized reseller. They didn't really know anything about the phone (apparently I was the first person to buy one at 5pm), but when I mentioned a microSD card for the Focus, they showed me an urgent message from AT&T instructing their sales people to prevent customers from using a microSD card with the phone pending an update from Microsoft due to data corruption. 

Message 15 of 61 (3,774 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.