Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 13, 2011
12:11:04 AM
View profile
Samsung Focus S Battery Life

I wasn't expecting much battery life from this phone, but it's horrible. It goes from 100% to 0% in 7 or 8 hours of standby mode while I sleep. It loses about 15% and hour with little to moderate use. It takes 3 hours to charge completely from 0%.

It's a fantastic phone, but I'd like to get 10 hours out of it, not 5-6. Does anyone else get better performace?

I wasn't expecting much battery life from this phone, but it's horrible. It goes from 100% to 0% in 7 or 8 hours of standby mode while I sleep. It loses about 15% and hour with little to moderate use. It takes 3 hours to charge completely from 0%.

It's a fantastic phone, but I'd like to get 10 hours out of it, not 5-6. Does anyone else get better performace?

Samsung Focus S Battery Life

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2011 5:17:44 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by prubin on Nov 13, 2011 at 5:26:00 AM

Battery needs to be "broken in". You will need to go through several cycles of discharge and full recharge before you experience rated life.
I get full day with about 20 % by the time I get home from work. Takes hour or so to recharge.
If it does not improve in next several days - especially with discharge while in standby, then you should contact AT&T or Samsung.

Make sure that background apps are not running - "settings">"applications">background tasks".

Battery needs to be "broken in". You will need to go through several cycles of discharge and full recharge before you experience rated life.
I get full day with about 20 % by the time I get home from work. Takes hour or so to recharge.
If it does not improve in next several days - especially with discharge while in standby, then you should contact AT&T or Samsung.

Make sure that background apps are not running - "settings">"applications">background tasks".

Re: Samsung Focus S Battery Life

[ Edited ]
2 of 9 (2,247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2011 5:07:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

You say you get a "full day". What does that mean in hours? When you are at 20%, how many hours since last charge is shown?

I'm getting from 5-10 hours depending on use, but this is worse than the iPhone 3 GS that I replaced it with, and its battery had gone down to half of what it used to be.

Something seems to be wrong.

You say you get a "full day". What does that mean in hours? When you are at 20%, how many hours since last charge is shown?

I'm getting from 5-10 hours depending on use, but this is worse than the iPhone 3 GS that I replaced it with, and its battery had gone down to half of what it used to be.

Something seems to be wrong.

3 of 9 (2,180 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2011 2:53:19 PM
(0)
Guru

12 - 6am to 6pm

12 - 6am to 6pm

4 of 9 (2,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2011 9:15:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

my phone has been running for 16 hours so far and has 20% life left. I made some calls during the day, browsed the internet and listened to music. You guys need to alter your settings for the phone because they do drain your battery.

my phone has been running for 16 hours so far and has 20% life left. I made some calls during the day, browsed the internet and listened to music. You guys need to alter your settings for the phone because they do drain your battery.

5 of 9 (2,145 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2011 9:37:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

I was having the same problem as you when I first bought my phone, but after a couple of charges it surprised me at how long it lasts now. I've had the Galaxy S2 and the iPhone 4 and my Focus S blows them out of the water. The iPhone was ok but the Galaxy S2 get's its battery eaten by Android too much. I don't have to carry a car charger anymore with my Focus S.

I was having the same problem as you when I first bought my phone, but after a couple of charges it surprised me at how long it lasts now. I've had the Galaxy S2 and the iPhone 4 and my Focus S blows them out of the water. The iPhone was ok but the Galaxy S2 get's its battery eaten by Android too much. I don't have to carry a car charger anymore with my Focus S.

6 of 9 (2,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2011 10:06:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

I've recharged mine from near zero to full every day for over a week and a half, still doesn't perform like my iPhone 3G S did with a bad battery.  I really like my phone otherwise, other than the lack of apps.  It really has put me on the fence on returning it, but I really don't think I could go back to iOS after getting used to live tiles.

I've recharged mine from near zero to full every day for over a week and a half, still doesn't perform like my iPhone 3G S did with a bad battery.  I really like my phone otherwise, other than the lack of apps.  It really has put me on the fence on returning it, but I really don't think I could go back to iOS after getting used to live tiles.

7 of 9 (2,067 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 8:00:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

Just go exchange it, my battery lasts forever.

Just go exchange it, my battery lasts forever.

8 of 9 (2,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 7:48:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

I replaced my battery, that didn't fix it. I did find the issue, though.  I have an AT&T Microcell.  If I leave the data connection on while the device is connected to the Microcell, the battery just drains that whole time, even though I'm not using the phone & I have WiFI turned on.  

Once I disabled the data connection, battery life has been great!  I discovered this from the following thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung/MicroCell-causes-by-Focus-Battery-to-drain-rapidly/m-p/2937059/high...

I replaced my battery, that didn't fix it. I did find the issue, though.  I have an AT&T Microcell.  If I leave the data connection on while the device is connected to the Microcell, the battery just drains that whole time, even though I'm not using the phone & I have WiFI turned on.  

Once I disabled the data connection, battery life has been great!  I discovered this from the following thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung/MicroCell-causes-by-Focus-Battery-to-drain-rapidly/m-p/2937059/highlight/true#M93445

9 of 9 (1,964 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments