Samsung Focus - Large Data Usage at 11:30 PM each night

jtp
Contributor

Samsung Focus - Large Data Usage at 11:30 PM each night

I purchased a Samsung Focus on 1/31/11.  The next night and pretty much ever since, I see anywhere from 2-10MB of datga sent out from my phone each night betweeb 11:00PM and midnight.  Usually occurs about 11:30 PM.  I have turned off feedback, disabled Zune update, No auto upload for skydrive.  Only have Hotmail 2 hour sync and facebook.  I've called ATT phone support and have gotten no where.  Lots of comments on other messages boards.  Help!!!

 

BTW I do have WIFI setup at my home and phone is idle at these times at night.  If I power phone off or turn of Cellular, then when I turn on it will send the data not long after it is powered on

 

Thanks

Message 1 of 12 (3,043 Views)
Master

Re: Samsung Focus - Large Data Usage at 11:30 PM each night

That timestamp does not mean you sent data at that time. The way cell data works is that they aggregate all the data usage together at the end of a session. So, the big data you see is all the data you used between anywhere from the last data event in your data billing entry to this one.

 

 If you sync with facebook, that's probably the one use those data. Also Yahoo mail has been identified as the biggest data hog.

 

If you're at home, turn wifi on and plug the phone in to charger so that the wi-fi won't be turned off when screen goes black.

Message 2 of 12 (2,979 Views)
jtp
Contributor

Re: Samsung Focus - Large Data Usage at 11:30 PM each night

I don't use Yahoo, which I have seem those problems. I do see other data usage posted at different times but is more like 40-100kb. So I would think if it was just posting usage for the day I would not see the other usage times

Thanks
Message 3 of 12 (2,965 Views)
Master

Re: Samsung Focus - Large Data Usage at 11:30 PM each night

Like I said, it is based on sessions, not day. No one knows how exactly the session starts and ends. But what you see is quite normal. Ppl with problem of Yahoo mail, often resulted in hunreds of MBs a day. If you're on 200MB plan, I'd turn off Facebook sync.

Message 4 of 12 (2,912 Views)
Professor

Re: Samsung Focus - Large Data Usage at 11:30 PM each night

 


foxbat121 wrote:

Like I said, it is based on sessions, not day. No one knows how exactly the session starts and ends. But what you see is quite normal. Ppl with problem of Yahoo mail, often resulted in hunreds of MBs a day. If you're on 200MB plan, I'd turn off Facebook sync.


Hey Foxbat121, I think that you have this one correct, but it is cases like this that always make me wonder how att can charge for data useage when they play so fast a loose calculating data.  They cannot even explain how they quantify it.  I am not a big "go howl at the moon guy" about mobile phone data.  I think that if you have a smartphone, you are insane not to have a huge if not unlimited data plan, however, I agree that it is virtually impossible to 'control' your data should that be the route which you want to take.  You simply cannot prevent the phone from trying to use data and the tools the mobile phone provider provides for monitoring data just do not have the fidelity required to do the job with any degree of accuracy or efficiency.  It is the ideal conundrum resulting in att being able to charge more for spurious data useage.  Again, I would recommend, buy a HUGE data plan.

 

Message 5 of 12 (2,871 Views)
Master

Re: Samsung Focus - Large Data Usage at 11:30 PM each night

[ Edited ]

Paolo01 wrote:

 


foxbat121 wrote:

Like I said, it is based on sessions, not day. No one knows how exactly the session starts and ends. But what you see is quite normal. Ppl with problem of Yahoo mail, often resulted in hunreds of MBs a day. If you're on 200MB plan, I'd turn off Facebook sync.


Hey Foxbat121, I think that you have this one correct, but it is cases like this that always make me wonder how att can charge for data useage when they play so fast a loose calculating data.  They cannot even explain how they quantify it. 


Because all carriers are doing the exact same thing. And I'm pretty sure your data are also rounded up to KBs instead of bytes. AT&T can get away with these as long as they are not doing anything different and there is no court order ask it to do anything different [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

200MB still is doable. My son's Focus has been on 200MB plan for 4 months now. He uses it for Gmail, moderate internet browsing and occasional YouTube. He does turn off Facebook sync. And aside from AT&T SMS warning of approaching plan limit, I've yet pay any extra for him.

Message 6 of 12 (2,859 Views)
Contributor

Re: Samsung Focus - Large Data Usage at 11:30 PM each night

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 12 (2,804 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Re: Samsung Focus - Large Data Usage at 11:30 PM each night

 


foxbat121 wrote:



Because all carriers are doing the exact same thing. And I'm pretty sure your data are also rounded up to KBs instead of bytes. AT&T can get away with these as long as they are not doing anything different and there is no court order ask it to do anything different [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

200MB still is doable. My son's Focus has been on 200MB plan for 4 months now. He uses it for Gmail, moderate internet browsing and occasional YouTube. He does turn off Facebook sync. And aside from AT&T SMS warning of approaching plan limit, I've yet pay any extra for him.


 

I think that you have hi lighted the problem though.  You have to 'dumb' down the smartphone to not fall afoul of the cap which is impossible to monitor accurately in a timely manner. 

 

I respect att and have been a customer for years, but some things they just are very clumsy with.  Data useage and roaming (especially internationally) are two serious shortfalls for the more than casual user.  I understand that att caters to the casual user by business plan, but I think that it is unfortunate that you cannot get a business or professional account which enable more robust data plans and roaming packages with real time or nearly real time monitoring tools.  I would have thought that by 2011 we would be there.  But maybe this is soley my pet peeve and nobody else really is concerned, and hence att is not either :-)

 

Message 8 of 12 (2,767 Views)
jtp
Contributor

Re: Samsung Focus - Large Data Usage at 11:30 PM each night

In regards to the MS article, I do not use Yahoo mail. I agree that ATT is completely clueless on customer service and how their systems actually work.  As mentioned in ealier posts, it may be their daily posting of data usage but I would expect the ATT CSR to actually know something abot how things work.  Plus I think they need to have 500MB for the $15 plan and 4GB for the $25.  Maybe Sprint and T-Mobile can put enough price pressure on Verizon and ATT to be more consumer friendly.

Message 9 of 12 (2,720 Views)
Master

Re: Samsung Focus - Large Data Usage at 11:30 PM each night


jtp wrote:

In regards to the MS article, I do not use Yahoo mail. I agree that ATT is completely clueless on customer service and how their systems actually work.  As mentioned in ealier posts, it may be their daily posting of data usage but I would expect the ATT CSR to actually know something abot how things work.  Plus I think they need to have 500MB for the $15 plan and 4GB for the $25.  Maybe Sprint and T-Mobile can put enough price pressure on Verizon and ATT to be more consumer friendly.


I wouldn't count on it. In fact Sprint and T-Mo have been hiking Smartphone data plan costs recently. Sprint just added $10 extra per month for all smartphone data plans and T-Mobile added mandatory throttling for anyone use their 'unlimited' data too close to a cap.

 

I found unless I'm streaming internet radio/podcast or watching internet video, my actual monthly data is only about 250MB to 300MB with a lot of web browsing and 3 email accounts using push emailing. So the $15 plan should really be 250MB or 300MB. But I think AT&T also knows this and intentionally setup the rate to force ppl like me to upper tier 2GB plan instead of lower tier 200MB plan.

Message 10 of 12 (2,675 Views)
Professor

Re: Samsung Focus - Large Data Usage at 11:30 PM each night

 


foxbat121 wrote:

jtp wrote:

In regards to the MS article, I do not use Yahoo mail. I agree that ATT is completely clueless on customer service and how their systems actually work.  As mentioned in ealier posts, it may be their daily posting of data usage but I would expect the ATT CSR to actually know something abot how things work.  Plus I think they need to have 500MB for the $15 plan and 4GB for the $25.  Maybe Sprint and T-Mobile can put enough price pressure on Verizon and ATT to be more consumer friendly.


I wouldn't count on it. In fact Sprint and T-Mo have been hiking Smartphone data plan costs recently. Sprint just added $10 extra per month for all smartphone data plans and T-Mobile added mandatory throttling for anyone use their 'unlimited' data too close to a cap.

 

I found unless I'm streaming internet radio/podcast or watching internet video, my actual monthly data is only about 250MB to 300MB with a lot of web browsing and 3 email accounts using push emailing. So the $15 plan should really be 250MB or 300MB. But I think AT&T also knows this and intentionally setup the rate to force ppl like me to upper tier 2GB plan instead of lower tier 200MB plan.


Data useage by these phones will only increase.  They are becoming less data efficient rather than more.  I think that 200mb is a set up for disaster at the price that att charges for data overages.  I am somebody that would save money giving up my grandfathered unlimited data plan, but I would never touch it because on those data overage months, my wallet is saved.  It is impossible to accurately monitor these phones data useage.  Until these tools become available, I would always anticipate using more data rather than squeaking by with less.

 

Message 11 of 12 (1,648 Views)
Contributor

Re: Samsung Focus - Large Data Usage at 11:30 PM each night

Scroll down in the Details in the Microsoft KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2504628 indicate an general issue with EAS protocol - which is licensed by many  - EAS Licensees http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/IPLicensing/Programs/ExchangeActiveS... 

 

Microsoft has also identified an issue with our Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) email synchronization protocol that may affect a very small percentage of users:

  • This issue can be caused by email that exceeds the mail server email size setting or is sent to an invalid email address
  • This issue can potentially affect email services that utilize the EAS protocol – Outlook and Gmail for example.
  • The immediate mitigation is for users to delete mail that appears “stuck” in the outbox.
  • This is currently scheduled to be fixed in a near-term end user update from Microsoft.

So if you try to send a file that exceeds your mail servers defaults (which is 10Mb default in Exchange for example) then the item may be stuck in a sending loop.

 

perhaps the protocol is not sending a 'cease and desist' command to the client program?

 

Seems that its up to the end-user to monitor and ensure no items remain in the 'outbox' - not ideal at all

 

Message 12 of 12 (1,493 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.