Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 9, 2010
5:51:06 PM
View profile
Samsung Focus- Few quick questions

Hey everyone,

I currently have a BJ II and am looking to upgrade to the Samsung Focus. There are a few things I need answers to before I but it for sure. I tested it in store but could not find the answer to these questions:

• How do you access the internal storage and the SD card from the phone? Is there "File Explorer" or something like in WM 6?

• I know you must use the Zune program for audio and video transfers to and from the device. What can you use to transfer documents (Word, PDF, XLS etc) and pictures to a PC and visa versa? Can I just plug it into my PC like my WM 6 device and move items around from the icon in My Computer?

• Is there a PDF reader and Windows Live Messenger included?

• Is there any software that comes with the phone for backing up text messages to a PC? If not, is there any available?

• Is ActiveSync still used for synching with Outlook? If not, what is? Are there any limitations to what can be synched?

• Since the device handles Facebook and Outlook contacts can you keep them separate on the phone?

• Is multitasking available? If so is there a Task Manager or something like it?

• Does the phone have different ringer profiles to select from or must the volume and vibration be changed manually?

• Do I need to repurchase a mobile version of the game that I have on XBOX Live (such as UNO) that I have already paid for?

I would really appreciate any answers I can get. I would like to get this phone I just need to make sure it has everything I need.

Thanks

Hey everyone,

I currently have a BJ II and am looking to upgrade to the Samsung Focus. There are a few things I need answers to before I but it for sure. I tested it in store but could not find the answer to these questions:

• How do you access the internal storage and the SD card from the phone? Is there "File Explorer" or something like in WM 6?

• I know you must use the Zune program for audio and video transfers to and from the device. What can you use to transfer documents (Word, PDF, XLS etc) and pictures to a PC and visa versa? Can I just plug it into my PC like my WM 6 device and move items around from the icon in My Computer?

• Is there any software that comes with the phone for backing up text messages to a PC? If not, is there any available?

• Is ActiveSync still used for synching with Outlook? If not, what is? Are there any limitations to what can be synched?

• Since the device handles Facebook and Outlook contacts can you keep them separate on the phone?

• Is multitasking available? If so is there a Task Manager or something like it?

• Does the phone have different ringer profiles to select from or must the volume and vibration be changed manually?

• Do I need to repurchase a mobile version of the game that I have on XBOX Live (such as UNO) that I have already paid for?

I would really appreciate any answers I can get. I would like to get this phone I just need to make sure it has everything I need.

Thanks

Samsung Focus- Few quick questions

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 7:54:36 AM
(0)
Scholar

I've had the Focus since Monday, but can only answer a few of your questions. 

For a PDF reader, you can download Adobe Acrobat for free from the aps store;

I'm pretty sure from what I've read that ActiveSync no longer works (I don't know-I'm on an Exchange Server at work)

No multitasking

Are lots of sites that will answer your questions, I'd start here:

http://att.deviceanywhere.com/SamsungFocus/tutorials

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=608

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsphone7/threads

I've had the Focus since Monday, but can only answer a few of your questions. 

For a PDF reader, you can download Adobe Acrobat for free from the aps store;

I'm pretty sure from what I've read that ActiveSync no longer works (I don't know-I'm on an Exchange Server at work)

No multitasking

Are lots of sites that will answer your questions, I'd start here:

http://att.deviceanywhere.com/SamsungFocus/tutorials

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=608

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsphone7/threads

Re: Samsung Focus- Few quick questions

2 of 9 (2,445 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 8:08:58 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Nov 10, 2010 at 8:13:41 AM

jshoe22 wrote:

There is no user accessible file system on the phone. You can't access SD card directly (it is combined with internal storage as one signle storage pool). The only way to exchange anything with PC is via Zune software.

Whatever Zune software offers to sync is what you get. There is no file system for you to explore. I'm not sure if Zune allows office document exchange but you should be able to use Windows Live Skydrive to sync those documents.

PDF reader comes from Adobe. Not sure if Adobe ever gets time to release it. IIRC, Live Messenger is not included and it is planed for future released (I maybe wrong on this).

WP7 has its own online backup site for you to backup text messages. If you have access to Exchange 2010 server, you can backup your SMS on that as well.

Desktop ActiveSync is no longer supported. You can't sync with Outlook. You can work around it by sync desktop Outlook with your Hotmail account (contacts, calendar and emails) via Outlook Hotmail connector. Then sync your phone with your Hotmail account directly.

jshoe22 wrote:

There is no user accessible file system on the phone. You can't access SD card directly (it is combined with internal storage as one signle storage pool). The only way to exchange anything with PC is via Zune software.

Whatever Zune software offers to sync is what you get. There is no file system for you to explore. I'm not sure if Zune allows office document exchange but you should be able to use Windows Live Skydrive to sync those documents.

PDF reader comes from Adobe. Not sure if Adobe ever gets time to release it. IIRC, Live Messenger is not included and it is planed for future released (I maybe wrong on this).

WP7 has its own online backup site for you to backup text messages. If you have access to Exchange 2010 server, you can backup your SMS on that as well.

Desktop ActiveSync is no longer supported. You can't sync with Outlook. You can work around it by sync desktop Outlook with your Hotmail account (contacts, calendar and emails) via Outlook Hotmail connector. Then sync your phone with your Hotmail account directly.

[ Edited ]
3 of 9 (2,439 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 8:42:45 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Nov 10, 2010 at 8:43:28 AM

Adobe PDF reader is already available on the marketplace.

Best bet to save data usage is to download it with Zune and it will install the app via the sync function

No zune will not transfer documents

Adobe PDF reader is already available on the marketplace.

Best bet to save data usage is to download it with Zune and it will install the app via the sync function

No zune will not transfer documents

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (2,425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 7:32:12 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by jshoe22 on Nov 11, 2010 at 7:39:11 AM

I was told from AT&T that it would sync with my outlook Calender and Contacts. Was this wrong? Also, no way to send office documents to and from the phone or go into the file system as in Windows Mobile 6.x? I'm trying to figure out which phone is best for me and I don't want to buy something that isn't going to work.  Also, is there a place where I can get the Zune software that comes with the phone to look at some options?

Any info would be great. Thanks again.

I was told from AT&T that it would sync with my outlook Calender and Contacts. Was this wrong? Also, no way to send office documents to and from the phone or go into the file system as in Windows Mobile 6.x? I'm trying to figure out which phone is best for me and I don't want to buy something that isn't going to work.  Also, is there a place where I can get the Zune software that comes with the phone to look at some options?

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (2,303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 8:40:31 AM
(0)
Scholar

jshoe22 wrote:

I have sent Word documents to and from the phone via email-Outlook.  Not sure if that's your question.    There is no file system directory.  Last night, I emailed to myself a Word document, opened it on my phone on the train, saved it on the phone (I still don't know where that goes-to some "cloud") and emailed the edited version back to myself and opened it this morning on my desktop email.  Hope that helps.

jshoe22 wrote:

I have sent Word documents to and from the phone via email-Outlook.  Not sure if that's your question.    There is no file system directory.  Last night, I emailed to myself a Word document, opened it on my phone on the train, saved it on the phone (I still don't know where that goes-to some "cloud") and emailed the edited version back to myself and opened it this morning on my desktop email.  Hope that helps.

6 of 9 (2,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 10:51:56 AM
(0)
Expert

jshoe22 wrote:

It will not sync directly to outlook for calendar or contacts, you need to att the outlook connector sync it to the windows live account that sync the windows live account to the phone. There is no desktop sync

jshoe22 wrote:

It will not sync directly to outlook for calendar or contacts, you need to att the outlook connector sync it to the windows live account that sync the windows live account to the phone. There is no desktop sync

7 of 9 (2,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 11:51:43 AM
(0)
Guru

Will sync, however, if you have an Office (Exchange) Server.

8 of 9 (2,201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 1:13:52 PM
(0)
Expert

prubin wrote:

that is a given, but they said outlook, qualifying that it will NOT sync directly to a desktop standalone install of outlook

prubin wrote:

that is a given, but they said outlook, qualifying that it will NOT sync directly to a desktop standalone install of outlook

9 of 9 (2,167 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments