Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 10, 2010
6:10:34 AM
View profile
Samsung Focus Data Usage

Ok my brother and I both got the new samsung focus WP7 phones, he is in KS me in OH. We both are coming from android devices. I had a cap and he had the evo. I am used to monitoring my data so I asked him what his was just to compare, he has used 102 mb in the last 2 days. I was like Ok he is streaming, he says NO he isn't. I'm like yea OK right. Well mine was 68mb in one day. NO streaming at all, I am like OMG something is using a hellacious amount of data, just think if I did stream. Does anyone know if sometype of update or something that would cause that on a new phone first day out of the box, 68mb without streaming any type of music or video at all, just doing my email account texting and looking at the integrated FB(no streaming there either) account and weather bug. OMG!! my captivate would never use that and when I had the iphone it was impossible my phone bassically just sat all day with NO streaming. thanks

Ok my brother and I both got the new samsung focus WP7 phones, he is in KS me in OH. We both are coming from android devices. I had a cap and he had the evo. I am used to monitoring my data so I asked him what his was just to compare, he has used 102 mb in the last 2 days. I was like Ok he is streaming, he says NO he isn't. I'm like yea OK right. Well mine was 68mb in one day. NO streaming at all, I am like OMG something is using a hellacious amount of data, just think if I did stream. Does anyone know if sometype of update or something that would cause that on a new phone first day out of the box, 68mb without streaming any type of music or video at all, just doing my email account texting and looking at the integrated FB(no streaming there either) account and weather bug. OMG!! my captivate would never use that and when I had the iphone it was impossible my phone bassically just sat all day with NO streaming. thanks

Samsung Focus Data Usage

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 7:49:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

had the same experience.  I got my Focus on Monday, within 2 days I exceeded 200 mb of data usage, without any streaming of media.  I downloaded a bunch of aps, and used the web browser a bunch.  I 'm wondering whether this live tiles business isn't causing this? I had to increase my data plan to the 2 gig.

had the same experience.  I got my Focus on Monday, within 2 days I exceeded 200 mb of data usage, without any streaming of media.  I downloaded a bunch of aps, and used the web browser a bunch.  I 'm wondering whether this live tiles business isn't causing this? I had to increase my data plan to the 2 gig.

Re: Samsung Focus Data Usage

2 of 21 (4,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 8:18:46 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Nov 10, 2010 at 8:20:34 AM

With 200MB cap, you pretty much have to limit yourself to email only. No download of anything, occasional web browsing and no live update of any tiles. It is understandable that you will need to use a lot of data for the first few days when the phone needs to sync with everything you set up fresh. You should use wi-fi as much as possible.

With 200MB cap, you pretty much have to limit yourself to email only. No download of anything, occasional web browsing and no live update of any tiles. It is understandable that you will need to use a lot of data for the first few days when the phone needs to sync with everything you set up fresh. You should use wi-fi as much as possible.

[ Edited ]
3 of 21 (4,626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 8:38:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

Set the email to 3 days and fetch manually in mail settings. In accounts do the same (for facebook and live). That should save you.

Set the email to 3 days and fetch manually in mail settings. In accounts do the same (for facebook and live). That should save you.

4 of 21 (4,610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 10:07:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

I can see where you can limit the email, but the facebook integrated account it has no refresh options or nothing.

Just a user name and password option when you click on it's settings, is there someway to limit that, but 68mb, I don't think email checking would use that large amount of data, that's 68 mb, an email is what a few kb w/o attachements. And I don't get that many(probably about 5-7 emails at the most yesterday), I could see email using maybe 5-10 mb a day at the most but just sending a check to the server, yea sorry that cannot be it. but now the FB integration, I can see that using a few mb. It updates everything, links little pictures and also full albums over to your pictures in a whats new section but there is NO way to limit that that I can see or find. I guess that I could delete the FB account and see if that is it but if it is, they need to add some settings for it or either ATT will have issues with people going over their limit, with a 2gb plan you can use about 62 mb a day and with my 3 android phones the most I've used in a month was 700mb and that's streaming and sending crap every hour to my phone from twitter and FB. Something has to be busted or something other then email. but thanks!! Smiley Very Happy

I can see where you can limit the email, but the facebook integrated account it has no refresh options or nothing.

Just a user name and password option when you click on it's settings, is there someway to limit that, but 68mb, I don't think email checking would use that large amount of data, that's 68 mb, an email is what a few kb w/o attachements. And I don't get that many(probably about 5-7 emails at the most yesterday), I could see email using maybe 5-10 mb a day at the most but just sending a check to the server, yea sorry that cannot be it. but now the FB integration, I can see that using a few mb. It updates everything, links little pictures and also full albums over to your pictures in a whats new section but there is NO way to limit that that I can see or find. I guess that I could delete the FB account and see if that is it but if it is, they need to add some settings for it or either ATT will have issues with people going over their limit, with a 2gb plan you can use about 62 mb a day and with my 3 android phones the most I've used in a month was 700mb and that's streaming and sending crap every hour to my phone from twitter and FB. Something has to be busted or something other then email. but thanks!! Smiley Very Happy

5 of 21 (4,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

6 of 21 (4,539 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 11:10:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

yea I saw those and thought something has to be wrong, but yea NO apps except weatherbug which is less then 1mb, no music, no streaming music, no email attachments...I just can't not see what would have used 68mb on a new phone unless streaming or sometype of downloads where involved but that is what baffles me there was none. just set up email live and google and the FB integration. I work during the day and can't play on the phone and when I got home I did connect to my computer and synch my zune songs but that was like 2gb of songs so that wouldn't have been 68 mb but a whole lot more, I had to get sometype of update or something I am thinking, but then noticed my brothers phone has large amounts for 2 days straight and that other guy a few posts up, his had a lot too but he did dl some apps. With me I did none of that. just basically text and call on the phone is all I did, it's baffeling I mean of others can check their data usage and see if theirs is alot too maybe? Smiley Very Happy thanks again!!

yea I saw those and thought something has to be wrong, but yea NO apps except weatherbug which is less then 1mb, no music, no streaming music, no email attachments...I just can't not see what would have used 68mb on a new phone unless streaming or sometype of downloads where involved but that is what baffles me there was none. just set up email live and google and the FB integration. I work during the day and can't play on the phone and when I got home I did connect to my computer and synch my zune songs but that was like 2gb of songs so that wouldn't have been 68 mb but a whole lot more, I had to get sometype of update or something I am thinking, but then noticed my brothers phone has large amounts for 2 days straight and that other guy a few posts up, his had a lot too but he did dl some apps. With me I did none of that. just basically text and call on the phone is all I did, it's baffeling I mean of others can check their data usage and see if theirs is alot too maybe? Smiley Very Happy thanks again!!

7 of 21 (4,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 12:14:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have been pretty casual with my use, but the att website says I have only used 12.4 MB

I have been pretty casual with my use, but the att website says I have only used 12.4 MB

8 of 21 (4,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 12:52:59 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by prubin on Nov 10, 2010 at 12:53:27 PM

Could possibly be multiple email accounts that are constantly polling---

you can set for different intervals to cut down on data

[ Edited ]
9 of 21 (4,447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 12:58:34 PM
(0)
Professor

prubin wrote:

Hey Prubin do you know which poll and which push.  for example if he is using a Windows Live account, didn't thos all just change to push a few months ago?  I know that with my Fuze the change from poll to push nearly doubled my battery life and I would assume that it would cut down on data as well.

I could be completely wrong though and WP7 could be a giant step backwards as far as the push/poll struggle.

prubin wrote:

Hey Prubin do you know which poll and which push.  for example if he is using a Windows Live account, didn't thos all just change to push a few months ago?  I know that with my Fuze the change from poll to push nearly doubled my battery life and I would assume that it would cut down on data as well.

I could be completely wrong though and WP7 could be a giant step backwards as far as the push/poll struggle.

10 of 21 (4,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 1:05:53 PM
(0)
Master

Ironically, the default setting for Windows Live account on WP7 is poll every 30 minutes and download 7 days of email.

The biggest ofender usually is POP3 accounts from your ISP. Those account will use a lot of data if you poll too often. There is no option to push.

You can, however, setup your Windows Live account to poll those POP3 emails for you on the server side then push down to your phone. But you have to live with a single reply address.

I suspect facebook sync isn't too efficient as well. The facebook sync app on my Android phone is always very slow.

Ironically, the default setting for Windows Live account on WP7 is poll every 30 minutes and download 7 days of email.

The biggest ofender usually is POP3 accounts from your ISP. Those account will use a lot of data if you poll too often. There is no option to push.

You can, however, setup your Windows Live account to poll those POP3 emails for you on the server side then push down to your phone. But you have to live with a single reply address.

I suspect facebook sync isn't too efficient as well. The facebook sync app on my Android phone is always very slow.

11 of 21 (3,281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 2:38:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

Like I said I can see the FB integration using some data because it updates those little pics and what not but still not 70 mb unless you refreshed it constantly all day long.

But the email thing, I got a live account by itself no ISP or any email going to it and gmail nothing going to it either, and even if it pings the server all day long checking for the approx 7 emails I got yesterday, I still dont see that adding up to 70mb of data usage. The emails themselves is what a few kb per and  none had attachements and for a request to be sent to a server to check for mail, what maybe a kb or two at the most can't be more then that of information...my android phones are setup the sameway and they might reach 50mb in a day if and only if I stream a radio application for about an hour or two when I drive back and forth from work. Something else has to be doing it, I did see a feedback option, maybe that was doing it so I turned it off also I turned off connect to xboxLive because I dont use that and will check tomorrow.

Thanks for all of you replys though!! Smiley Happy

Like I said I can see the FB integration using some data because it updates those little pics and what not but still not 70 mb unless you refreshed it constantly all day long.

But the email thing, I got a live account by itself no ISP or any email going to it and gmail nothing going to it either, and even if it pings the server all day long checking for the approx 7 emails I got yesterday, I still dont see that adding up to 70mb of data usage. The emails themselves is what a few kb per and  none had attachements and for a request to be sent to a server to check for mail, what maybe a kb or two at the most can't be more then that of information...my android phones are setup the sameway and they might reach 50mb in a day if and only if I stream a radio application for about an hour or two when I drive back and forth from work. Something else has to be doing it, I did see a feedback option, maybe that was doing it so I turned it off also I turned off connect to xboxLive because I dont use that and will check tomorrow.

Thanks for all of you replys though!! Smiley Happy

12 of 21 (3,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 5:56:58 PM
(0)
Professor

Here are the old (New) settings as of the 30th of August to turn our WM Phones into real push mail receivers through activesync instead of polling.  I'll have to do more researc to see if I actually want to go this rout instead of my current Live Mail on my WP.  I do love the WP Live Main interface.  I'll try out the 'new' method in a bit.

From my post in August in the HTC forum:

If you have not been keeping up on this, Microsoft, FINALLY enabled ActiveSync with hotmail today allowing you to synchronize everything on your smartphone and not simply email.  Most importantly it gives you real PUSH mail instead of battery hogging 'polling'.  This may actually keep me happy until WP7 appears.  Nice Microsoft!

Here are the instructions:

You MUST first remove Windows Live Mail if you are using that to pull email currently.

Field

Setting

Server / URL

m.hotmail.com

Username

Enter full email address, for example: someone@example.com

Domain 

Leave this blank

SSL

Enable this

Certificate

Accept the SSL certificate when prompted

Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks

All can be enabled (see the Solution Center article for exceptions on some phones)

Here are the old (New) settings as of the 30th of August to turn our WM Phones into real push mail receivers through activesync instead of polling.  I'll have to do more researc to see if I actually want to go this rout instead of my current Live Mail on my WP.  I do love the WP Live Main interface.  I'll try out the 'new' method in a bit.

From my post in August in the HTC forum:

If you have not been keeping up on this, Microsoft, FINALLY enabled ActiveSync with hotmail today allowing you to synchronize everything on your smartphone and not simply email.  Most importantly it gives you real PUSH mail instead of battery hogging 'polling'.  This may actually keep me happy until WP7 appears.  Nice Microsoft!

Here are the instructions:

You MUST first remove Windows Live Mail if you are using that to pull email currently.

Field

Setting

Server / URL

m.hotmail.com

Username

Enter full email address, for example: someone@example.com

Domain 

Leave this blank

SSL

Enable this

Certificate

Accept the SSL certificate when prompted

Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks

All can be enabled (see the Solution Center article for exceptions on some phones)

13 of 21 (3,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 6:05:36 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Paolo01 on Nov 10, 2010 at 6:11:52 PM

Hmmm...I am reading up on the exchange activesync and it seems to elude that the process described above will not be necessary for WP7.  Of course all of these articles were written on August 30th when they assumed that the exchange activesync was a hotmail/Windows Live upgrade to get ready for WP7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/people/set-up-an-email-account.aspx

The above link would seem to indicate that WP7 Windows Live account is indeed a push account and not polling.  But I really wonder why then you have the options to adjust the 'polling' time.  Maybe if you do not want the push functionality you are switching to 'polling' with those options. 

Hmmm...I am reading up on the exchange activesync and it seems to elude that the process described above will not be necessary for WP7.  Of course all of these articles were written on August 30th when they assumed that the exchange activesync was a hotmail/Windows Live upgrade to get ready for WP7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/people/set-up-an-email-account.aspx

The above link would seem to indicate that WP7 Windows Live account is indeed a push account and not polling.  But I really wonder why then you have the options to adjust the 'polling' time.  Maybe if you do not want the push functionality you are switching to 'polling' with those options. 

[ Edited ]
14 of 21 (3,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 6:13:54 PM
(0)
Master

You can setup Hotmail as Exchange server but the caveat is that currently EAS on Hotmail does not support HTML email.

The built-in Hotmail client already supports push email. All you need to do is change the schedule to 'as items arrive'.

You can setup Hotmail as Exchange server but the caveat is that currently EAS on Hotmail does not support HTML email.

The built-in Hotmail client already supports push email. All you need to do is change the schedule to 'as items arrive'.

15 of 21 (3,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 6:24:22 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Paolo01 on Nov 10, 2010 at 6:26:38 PM

foxbat121 wrote:

Yes Foxbat, you have this one correct I believe.  I just wish they would use diffferent terminology than they used to use for polling.  But I believe that you are correct and 'as items arrive' is the new 'push' mail lingo.  Kudos point for you. 

And I do LOVE the new look of the WLM on the Focus.  The HTML mail is so nice compared to the old EAS through hotmail.

In fact, I just love the way everything looks on my new Focus!

foxbat121 wrote:

Yes Foxbat, you have this one correct I believe.  I just wish they would use diffferent terminology than they used to use for polling.  But I believe that you are correct and 'as items arrive' is the new 'push' mail lingo.  Kudos point for you. 

And I do LOVE the new look of the WLM on the Focus.  The HTML mail is so nice compared to the old EAS through hotmail.

In fact, I just love the way everything looks on my new Focus!

[ Edited ]
16 of 21 (3,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 7:53:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, from 10:48am Nov 8th until 12:07am Nov 10th, I used.... Ar you ready for this.. 614.69 MB Data!!!

All that data was while at work. I basically got paid to play with my phone on launch day. 

Thanks you for Unlimited flat rate plan AT&T!!!!

Well, from 10:48am Nov 8th until 12:07am Nov 10th, I used.... Ar you ready for this.. 614.69 MB Data!!!

All that data was while at work. I basically got paid to play with my phone on launch day. 

Thanks you for Unlimited flat rate plan AT&T!!!!

17 of 21 (3,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 9:48:47 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by chewbaca1111 on Nov 10, 2010 at 9:50:16 PM

I want to and I am elegible to upgrade to a focus. I currently have a samsung blackjack 2. Can I keep the same plan/features and do an upgrade? If so where is the documentation that says I can do so?

I want to and I am elegible to upgrade to a focus. I currently have a samsung blackjack 2. Can I keep the same plan/features and do an upgrade? If so where is the documentation that says I can do so?

[ Edited ]
18 of 21 (3,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 3:17:58 AM
(0)
Expert

chewbaca1111 wrote:

you keep the same plan for voice -

as far as data goes

- if you have the unlimited smartphone data plan on the blackjack you will keep that

- if you have been using the blackjack since before a data plan was required and have none on the phone   then you will be required to add one of the capped plans (15.00 or 25.00)

- If for some reason you have a qmd style data plan on the phone, it will be removed and the correct capped smartphone plan will be added.

chewbaca1111 wrote:

you keep the same plan for voice -

as far as data goes

- if you have the unlimited smartphone data plan on the blackjack you will keep that

- if you have been using the blackjack since before a data plan was required and have none on the phone   then you will be required to add one of the capped plans (15.00 or 25.00)

- If for some reason you have a qmd style data plan on the phone, it will be removed and the correct capped smartphone plan will be added.

19 of 21 (3,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 11:24:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

Where can I see my data usage by day? I know I can view the last month when looking at my account on wireless.att.com, but don't know how to see something more detailed.

THANKS!

Where can I see my data usage by day? I know I can view the last month when looking at my account on wireless.att.com, but don't know how to see something more detailed.

THANKS!

20 of 21 (3,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 1:17:57 PM
(0)
Expert

robertk232 wrote:

THANKS!

Usage and Recent Activity

View details

Current view - data

robertk232 wrote:

THANKS!

Usage and Recent Activity

View details

Current view - data

21 of 21 (2,134 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments