Helpful Links

Samsung Focus - Countdown to Mango

Scholar

Samsung Focus - Countdown to Mango

Rumors of the Windows Phone Mango release have been August 25, September 1, and "this fall."  On Microsoft's blog, they confirm the RTM of Mango, and say the release is now up to the carriers.

When do you think we'll see Mango from AT&T on the Focus?

Message 1 of 43
Expert

Re: Samsung Focus - Countdown to Mango

mrmeyertx wrote:

Rumors of the Windows Phone Mango release have been August 25, September 1, and "this fall."  On Microsoft's blog, they confirm the RTM of Mango, and say the release is now up to the carriers.

When do you think we'll see Mango from AT&T on the Focus?

Honestly don't care, when it gets here it gets here.

Message 2 of 43
Mentor

Since I care, I will reply. But I won't include the message text I am replying to where I am replying immediately below the message I am replying to.Smiley Wink

The sooner Mango gets here the better. This is no doubt holding up some app releases, as the feature set was only recently known.

Message 3 of 43
Scholar

Yeah, I guess I don't understand the concept of just typing "I don't care."  If you don't care, don't post.  Now *that* is not caring.

I've been trying out a Toodledo app, and I contacted the developer.  He said the next version was just waiting on Mango,

Message 4 of 43
Expert

mrmeyertx wrote:

Yeah, I guess I don't understand the concept of just typing "I don't care."  If you don't care, don't post.  Now *that* is not caring.

I've been trying out a Toodledo app, and I contacted the developer.  He said the next version was just waiting on Mango,

I don't care when or if the update comes, there is the difference. the phone works fine as it is. Speculation as to when or if a update is released is just generates "were is the update demand posts",  it will get here when it gets here - there are a lot of other things that are more important then a software update to a phone to wonder about. As far as release, unless I missed it have not seen official annoucements by microsoft yet, all I have seen is speculation and rumor. Last report from MS puts it at Fall of this year - which is Sept 23rd, then it has to go through carrier certification.

Message 5 of 43
Highlighted
Scholar

I agree there are more important things.  Will my son get his act together?  Will my wife be pleased with her upcoming birthday surprise?  Should I sell gold at $1900 or continue to hold it?  Do I oppose the addition of a cold gas bypass valve to save money on the centrifugal compressor installation, I accept the higher cost for reliability?  Do I have enough to retire, and where will I retire to?

But this is a Samsung forum.  For me, this is the most important Samsung Focus issue because I'm not aware of any other Samsung Focus issues.

The text-to-voice, turn-by-turn, and Bing vision are high on my list.  The latter since I have some European travel coming up.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 43
Master

Realistically, I'd guess it will be end of dec. 2011 or early Jan. 2012. AT&T will do its best to drag it as long as possible.

We will probably see the new Mango phone from Samsung released on AT&T before Focus gets its update.

The turn-by-turn navigation is a big let down currently on Mango. Google Maps on the Android is the best solution so far. If you need navigation out of country, Google Map with its pre-cached map data (you can chose any 10-by-10 region to cache with up to 10 regions max) is your best bet (so that you don't have to pay foreign data charges).

MS need to license Nokia's Ovi map ASAP. Bing map just can't compete with Google Map in any form of shape.

Message 7 of 43
Expert

mrmeyertx wrote:

I agree there are more important things.  Will my son get his act together?  Will my wife be pleased with her upcoming birthday surprise?  Should I sell gold at $1900 or continue to hold it?  Do I oppose the addition of a cold gas bypass valve to save money on the centrifugal compressor installation, I accept the higher cost for reliability?  Do I have enough to retire, and where will I retire to?

But this is a Samsung forum.  For me, this is the most important Samsung Focus issue because I'm not aware of any other Samsung Focus issues.

The text-to-voice, turn-by-turn, and Bing vision are high on my list.  The latter since I have some European travel coming up.

then figure early to mid 1st quarter 2012 and you will not be upset.

Would caution you for european travel, given the cost of the data roaming and voice roaming - unless you plan on getting a sim from one of the european providers

Message 8 of 43
Scholar

Yeah, I routinely generate $1000 phone bills when traveling, but it's covered by an expense account.  And that's with the data plan turned off, something that's far easier to do on WP7.  My old WM6.1 device would turn on the data plan occasionally, all by itself.  But roaming data plans should not, no way, never cost that much.  I could buy a car.

I have German and Italian sims already, and I have my unlocked code ready.

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 43
Scholar

Doesn't really matter to me anymore..  WP7's novelty has worn off especially with it's lack of Options, APPs,, Customability and SLOW UPDATES!!  If Mango gets released in Sept we won't see it until November if we're lucky (remember NoDo!!), we will be one of the last to receive it AGAIN.. By the time Mango comes out the iPhone5 will be being released with a "Upgraded" iOS Smiley Happy MS will never catch up... 

Personally for me chances are if iPhone 5 comes with a 4" Retina Display as rumored I'm going back..  The last straw was last week when my Focus reset itself and finding out there is no backup/restore like the iPhone/iTunes has and will preform. All this time when I've been syncing my Focus it hasn't been backing up everything in case of a Restore be it a reset or getting a new WP7 phone, you have to practically start from scratch and rechoose your music. redownload any pictures you took(from Skydrive and you better have pictures automatically set to copy there or you can lose them if the phone screws up and resets itself as mine did)  look for apps which you installed directly from the phone(Zune doesn't sync those) reset any settings or options you may have set and so on... Thge only restore point WP7 has is from the last update(NoDo) and we all know how long ago that was lol.... I'm quite disappointed as you can tell..  Realization: iOS  IS truly far ahead of WP7!!

Message 10 of 43
Explorer

Question, when IOS was introduced to the market how was it?  Was it perfect from the start?  Did it need lots of tweaking?  How long was it to the 1st update?    Was it introduced with multitasking?  If everything was not perfect with IOS then lay off WP7 and give it a chance to grow.  My gosh a country of whiners.

Message 11 of 43
Expert

mrmeyertx wrote:

Yeah, I routinely generate $1000 phone bills when traveling, but it's covered by an expense account.  And that's with the data plan turned off, something that's far easier to do on WP7.  My old WM6.1 device would turn on the data plan occasionally, all by itself.  But roaming data plans should not, no way, never cost that much.  I could buy a car.

I have German and Italian sims already, and I have my unlocked code ready.

For those that travel extensively we just issue phones form the carriers in the country they will be in and they just setup a new forwarding rule on their deskphone that instead of auto forwarding to their US cell number it auto forwards to the international phone they are caring. Cheaper that way.

We have a few sandbox users that are trying the VOIP over WIFI applications for their phones when they are in Europe, results so far have been adequete

As far as roaming plans - complain to the carrier that is charging the fees - O2, Orange, Roger's to name a few set that price, not ATT

Message 12 of 43
Scholar

Your talking about a phone OS which came out 4YEARS ago and still was released then with FULL back up capabilities AND updates for the original iOS came out FAST, not one small one 5 months after it's release then a larger one a year later which is when Mango will be out,, MAYBE if carriers decide to release it to it's customers(another huge difference between iOS & WP7)..

Sorry but I'm  not "whining" rather stating FACTS for I have had both and bottom line is Apple again kicks MS's butt when comparing the original iOS vs. WP7, as for present day well let's face it there is no comparison between iOS 4.3 and WP7 "NoDo" or Mango for that matter..   Honestly this shouldn't be seeing MS is THE software giant but it is what it is.. But hey if you rather use a device that is years behind it's your choice, me I much rather have the newest, fastest, more reliable, more optionable, more customizational and integratable in all aspects of my life phone, but that's just me Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 43
Explorer

IOS, a system that need to rely on apps to work.  Apps for this and apps for that.  You can't just open the phone and be productive.  You have find an app for that.  Within a year IOS will be copying features from Microsoft.

Message 14 of 43
Scholar

My biggest concern is not WHEN Mango will be released for the Focus, but IF.

Knowing AT&T, I would not put it beyond them to simply wait till February or March of 2012 to make an 'update' available to Focus owners, or later, or not at all, all the while selling Mango Phones 3-4 months earlier.

By then, early Focus adopters will have 18+ months on the plan and be eligible for an upgrade again to a Mango-Nokia or some such...

Message 15 of 43
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support