Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 19, 2011
10:26:56 AM
View profile
Samsung Focus - Countdown to Mango

Rumors of the Windows Phone Mango release have been August 25, September 1, and "this fall."  On Microsoft's blog, they confirm the RTM of Mango, and say the release is now up to the carriers.

When do you think we'll see Mango from AT&T on the Focus?

Rumors of the Windows Phone Mango release have been August 25, September 1, and "this fall."  On Microsoft's blog, they confirm the RTM of Mango, and say the release is now up to the carriers.

Samsung Focus - Countdown to Mango

42 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(42)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2011 12:11:50 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Aug 19, 2011 at 12:13:05 PM

mrmeyertx wrote:

Honestly don't care, when it gets here it gets here.

mrmeyertx wrote:

Honestly don't care, when it gets here it gets here.

Re: Samsung Focus - Countdown to Mango

[ Edited ]
2 of 43 (3,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2011 1:15:24 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by wildbilll on Aug 20, 2011 at 1:16:21 PM

Since I care, I will reply. But I won't include the message text I am replying to where I am replying immediately below the message I am replying to.Smiley Wink

The sooner Mango gets here the better. This is no doubt holding up some app releases, as the feature set was only recently known.

Since I care, I will reply. But I won't include the message text I am replying to where I am replying immediately below the message I am replying to.Smiley Wink

The sooner Mango gets here the better. This is no doubt holding up some app releases, as the feature set was only recently known.

[ Edited ]
3 of 43 (3,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2011 2:02:26 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yeah, I guess I don't understand the concept of just typing "I don't care."  If you don't care, don't post.  Now *that* is not caring.

I've been trying out a Toodledo app, and I contacted the developer.  He said the next version was just waiting on Mango,

Yeah, I guess I don't understand the concept of just typing "I don't care."  If you don't care, don't post.  Now *that* is not caring.

I've been trying out a Toodledo app, and I contacted the developer.  He said the next version was just waiting on Mango,

4 of 43 (3,085 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2011 4:57:13 PM
(0)
Expert

mrmeyertx wrote:

I don't care when or if the update comes, there is the difference. the phone works fine as it is. Speculation as to when or if a update is released is just generates "were is the update demand posts",  it will get here when it gets here - there are a lot of other things that are more important then a software update to a phone to wonder about. As far as release, unless I missed it have not seen official annoucements by microsoft yet, all I have seen is speculation and rumor. Last report from MS puts it at Fall of this year - which is Sept 23rd, then it has to go through carrier certification.

mrmeyertx wrote:

I don't care when or if the update comes, there is the difference. the phone works fine as it is. Speculation as to when or if a update is released is just generates "were is the update demand posts",  it will get here when it gets here - there are a lot of other things that are more important then a software update to a phone to wonder about. As far as release, unless I missed it have not seen official annoucements by microsoft yet, all I have seen is speculation and rumor. Last report from MS puts it at Fall of this year - which is Sept 23rd, then it has to go through carrier certification.

5 of 43 (3,079 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2011 6:34:36 AM
(0)
Scholar

I agree there are more important things.  Will my son get his act together?  Will my wife be pleased with her upcoming birthday surprise?  Should I sell gold at $1900 or continue to hold it?  Do I oppose the addition of a cold gas bypass valve to save money on the centrifugal compressor installation, I accept the higher cost for reliability?  Do I have enough to retire, and where will I retire to?

But this is a Samsung forum.  For me, this is the most important Samsung Focus issue because I'm not aware of any other Samsung Focus issues.

The text-to-voice, turn-by-turn, and Bing vision are high on my list.  The latter since I have some European travel coming up.

I agree there are more important things.  Will my son get his act together?  Will my wife be pleased with her upcoming birthday surprise?  Should I sell gold at $1900 or continue to hold it?  Do I oppose the addition of a cold gas bypass valve to save money on the centrifugal compressor installation, I accept the higher cost for reliability?  Do I have enough to retire, and where will I retire to?

But this is a Samsung forum.  For me, this is the most important Samsung Focus issue because I'm not aware of any other Samsung Focus issues.

The text-to-voice, turn-by-turn, and Bing vision are high on my list.  The latter since I have some European travel coming up.

6 of 43 (2,982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2011 7:54:28 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Aug 23, 2011 at 7:59:38 AM

Realistically, I'd guess it will be end of dec. 2011 or early Jan. 2012. AT&T will do its best to drag it as long as possible.

We will probably see the new Mango phone from Samsung released on AT&T before Focus gets its update.

The turn-by-turn navigation is a big let down currently on Mango. Google Maps on the Android is the best solution so far. If you need navigation out of country, Google Map with its pre-cached map data (you can chose any 10-by-10 region to cache with up to 10 regions max) is your best bet (so that you don't have to pay foreign data charges).

MS need to license Nokia's Ovi map ASAP. Bing map just can't compete with Google Map in any form of shape.

Realistically, I'd guess it will be end of dec. 2011 or early Jan. 2012. AT&T will do its best to drag it as long as possible.

We will probably see the new Mango phone from Samsung released on AT&T before Focus gets its update.

The turn-by-turn navigation is a big let down currently on Mango. Google Maps on the Android is the best solution so far. If you need navigation out of country, Google Map with its pre-cached map data (you can chose any 10-by-10 region to cache with up to 10 regions max) is your best bet (so that you don't have to pay foreign data charges).

MS need to license Nokia's Ovi map ASAP. Bing map just can't compete with Google Map in any form of shape.

[ Edited ]
7 of 43 (2,978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2011 9:16:05 AM
(0)
Expert

mrmeyertx wrote:

then figure early to mid 1st quarter 2012 and you will not be upset.

Would caution you for european travel, given the cost of the data roaming and voice roaming - unless you plan on getting a sim from one of the european providers

mrmeyertx wrote:

then figure early to mid 1st quarter 2012 and you will not be upset.

Would caution you for european travel, given the cost of the data roaming and voice roaming - unless you plan on getting a sim from one of the european providers

8 of 43 (2,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2011 1:24:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yeah, I routinely generate $1000 phone bills when traveling, but it's covered by an expense account.  And that's with the data plan turned off, something that's far easier to do on WP7.  My old WM6.1 device would turn on the data plan occasionally, all by itself.  But roaming data plans should not, no way, never cost that much.  I could buy a car.

I have German and Italian sims already, and I have my unlocked code ready.

Yeah, I routinely generate $1000 phone bills when traveling, but it's covered by an expense account.  And that's with the data plan turned off, something that's far easier to do on WP7.  My old WM6.1 device would turn on the data plan occasionally, all by itself.  But roaming data plans should not, no way, never cost that much.  I could buy a car.

9 of 43 (2,960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2011 3:19:45 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pmt1209 on Aug 23, 2011 at 3:21:04 PM

Doesn't really matter to me anymore..  WP7's novelty has worn off especially with it's lack of Options, APPs,, Customability and SLOW UPDATES!!  If Mango gets released in Sept we won't see it until November if we're lucky (remember NoDo!!), we will be one of the last to receive it AGAIN.. By the time Mango comes out the iPhone5 will be being released with a "Upgraded" iOS Smiley Happy MS will never catch up... 

Personally for me chances are if iPhone 5 comes with a 4" Retina Display as rumored I'm going back..  The last straw was last week when my Focus reset itself and finding out there is no backup/restore like the iPhone/iTunes has and will preform. All this time when I've been syncing my Focus it hasn't been backing up everything in case of a Restore be it a reset or getting a new WP7 phone, you have to practically start from scratch and rechoose your music. redownload any pictures you took(from Skydrive and you better have pictures automatically set to copy there or you can lose them if the phone screws up and resets itself as mine did)  look for apps which you installed directly from the phone(Zune doesn't sync those) reset any settings or options you may have set and so on... Thge only restore point WP7 has is from the last update(NoDo) and we all know how long ago that was lol.... I'm quite disappointed as you can tell..  Realization: iOS  IS truly far ahead of WP7!!

Doesn't really matter to me anymore..  WP7's novelty has worn off especially with it's lack of Options, APPs,, Customability and SLOW UPDATES!!  If Mango gets released in Sept we won't see it until November if we're lucky (remember NoDo!!), we will be one of the last to receive it AGAIN.. By the time Mango comes out the iPhone5 will be being released with a "Upgraded" iOS Smiley Happy MS will never catch up... 

Personally for me chances are if iPhone 5 comes with a 4" Retina Display as rumored I'm going back..  The last straw was last week when my Focus reset itself and finding out there is no backup/restore like the iPhone/iTunes has and will preform. All this time when I've been syncing my Focus it hasn't been backing up everything in case of a Restore be it a reset or getting a new WP7 phone, you have to practically start from scratch and rechoose your music. redownload any pictures you took(from Skydrive and you better have pictures automatically set to copy there or you can lose them if the phone screws up and resets itself as mine did)  look for apps which you installed directly from the phone(Zune doesn't sync those) reset any settings or options you may have set and so on... Thge only restore point WP7 has is from the last update(NoDo) and we all know how long ago that was lol.... I'm quite disappointed as you can tell..  Realization: iOS  IS truly far ahead of WP7!!

[ Edited ]
10 of 43 (2,947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2011 5:25:48 PM
(0)
Explorer

Question, when IOS was introduced to the market how was it?  Was it perfect from the start?  Did it need lots of tweaking?  How long was it to the 1st update?    Was it introduced with multitasking?  If everything was not perfect with IOS then lay off WP7 and give it a chance to grow.  My gosh a country of whiners.

Question, when IOS was introduced to the market how was it?  Was it perfect from the start?  Did it need lots of tweaking?  How long was it to the 1st update?    Was it introduced with multitasking?  If everything was not perfect with IOS then lay off WP7 and give it a chance to grow.  My gosh a country of whiners.

11 of 43 (1,896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2011 3:43:17 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:45:35 AM

mrmeyertx wrote:

For those that travel extensively we just issue phones form the carriers in the country they will be in and they just setup a new forwarding rule on their deskphone that instead of auto forwarding to their US cell number it auto forwards to the international phone they are caring. Cheaper that way.

We have a few sandbox users that are trying the VOIP over WIFI applications for their phones when they are in Europe, results so far have been adequete

As far as roaming plans - complain to the carrier that is charging the fees - O2, Orange, Roger's to name a few set that price, not ATT

mrmeyertx wrote:

For those that travel extensively we just issue phones form the carriers in the country they will be in and they just setup a new forwarding rule on their deskphone that instead of auto forwarding to their US cell number it auto forwards to the international phone they are caring. Cheaper that way.

We have a few sandbox users that are trying the VOIP over WIFI applications for their phones when they are in Europe, results so far have been adequete

As far as roaming plans - complain to the carrier that is charging the fees - O2, Orange, Roger's to name a few set that price, not ATT

[ Edited ]
12 of 43 (1,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2011 9:40:00 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pmt1209 on Aug 27, 2011 at 10:04:19 AM

Your talking about a phone OS which came out 4YEARS ago and still was released then with FULL back up capabilities AND updates for the original iOS came out FAST, not one small one 5 months after it's release then a larger one a year later which is when Mango will be out,, MAYBE if carriers decide to release it to it's customers(another huge difference between iOS & WP7)..

Sorry but I'm  not "whining" rather stating FACTS for I have had both and bottom line is Apple again kicks MS's butt when comparing the original iOS vs. WP7, as for present day well let's face it there is no comparison between iOS 4.3 and WP7 "NoDo" or Mango for that matter..   Honestly this shouldn't be seeing MS is THE software giant but it is what it is.. But hey if you rather use a device that is years behind it's your choice, me I much rather have the newest, fastest, more reliable, more optionable, more customizational and integratable in all aspects of my life phone, but that's just me Smiley Happy

Your talking about a phone OS which came out 4YEARS ago and still was released then with FULL back up capabilities AND updates for the original iOS came out FAST, not one small one 5 months after it's release then a larger one a year later which is when Mango will be out,, MAYBE if carriers decide to release it to it's customers(another huge difference between iOS & WP7)..

Sorry but I'm  not "whining" rather stating FACTS for I have had both and bottom line is Apple again kicks MS's butt when comparing the original iOS vs. WP7, as for present day well let's face it there is no comparison between iOS 4.3 and WP7 "NoDo" or Mango for that matter..   Honestly this shouldn't be seeing MS is THE software giant but it is what it is.. But hey if you rather use a device that is years behind it's your choice, me I much rather have the newest, fastest, more reliable, more optionable, more customizational and integratable in all aspects of my life phone, but that's just me Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
13 of 43 (1,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2011 5:35:30 PM
(0)
Explorer

IOS, a system that need to rely on apps to work.  Apps for this and apps for that.  You can't just open the phone and be productive.  You have find an app for that.  Within a year IOS will be copying features from Microsoft.

IOS, a system that need to rely on apps to work.  Apps for this and apps for that.  You can't just open the phone and be productive.  You have find an app for that.  Within a year IOS will be copying features from Microsoft.

14 of 43 (1,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2011 7:53:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

My biggest concern is not WHEN Mango will be released for the Focus, but IF.

Knowing AT&T, I would not put it beyond them to simply wait till February or March of 2012 to make an 'update' available to Focus owners, or later, or not at all, all the while selling Mango Phones 3-4 months earlier.

By then, early Focus adopters will have 18+ months on the plan and be eligible for an upgrade again to a Mango-Nokia or some such...

My biggest concern is not WHEN Mango will be released for the Focus, but IF.

Knowing AT&T, I would not put it beyond them to simply wait till February or March of 2012 to make an 'update' available to Focus owners, or later, or not at all, all the while selling Mango Phones 3-4 months earlier.

By then, early Focus adopters will have 18+ months on the plan and be eligible for an upgrade again to a Mango-Nokia or some such...

15 of 43 (1,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 11:45:52 AM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T users will not see the Mango update on the Focus before May of 2012.  This is not Microsoft's fault.  Mango has already RTM'd.  It is out of Microsoft's hands now.  Microsoft goofed when they allowed carriers to delay the updates.  Apple has complete control of their updates and AT&T can't do a thing about it.  Microsoft decided to allow AT&T to have control over the update and we all saw the result with NODO.  Expore more of the same with any future update.

AT&T users will not see the Mango update on the Focus before May of 2012.  This is not Microsoft's fault.  Mango has already RTM'd.  It is out of Microsoft's hands now.  Microsoft goofed when they allowed carriers to delay the updates.  Apple has complete control of their updates and AT&T can't do a thing about it.  Microsoft decided to allow AT&T to have control over the update and we all saw the result with NODO.  Expore more of the same with any future update.

16 of 43 (1,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2011 12:08:29 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pmt1209 on Sep 3, 2011 at 12:13:37 PM
Caretbay,
I'm sorry but we have both the iPhone 4 & my Focus WP7 phone and that statement just holds no water.. You open a android, wp7 or iPhone and you still need to hit any app to do anything, be it browsing, emailing, weather check, documents (Office is a app), Facebook, messaging ect... What can you do with less "taps" of the screen with WP7 then you can with iOS or Android??
With all 3 you still have to hit the wake button, slide off lock screen and then tap whatever "app" to start being productive...
Again not being a Apple troll, actually I've decided on getting the Galaxy S2 when it comes out later this month.. After 9 months of using WP7 I've categorized it as a Smartohone for dummies, not as degrading of a title as it sounds but with how little you can customize, adjust, backup/restore, set custom ringtones, set up multiple screens and so on it just seems WP7 is for someone who easily gets confused on truly customizing their phone and multitasking, they will rather just deal with
one page of tiles/apps.. There is a market for that kind of phone but it's just not for me..
Caretbay,
I'm sorry but we have both the iPhone 4 & my Focus WP7 phone and that statement just holds no water.. You open a android, wp7 or iPhone and you still need to hit any app to do anything, be it browsing, emailing, weather check, documents (Office is a app), Facebook, messaging ect... What can you do with less "taps" of the screen with WP7 then you can with iOS or Android??
With all 3 you still have to hit the wake button, slide off lock screen and then tap whatever "app" to start being productive...
Again not being a Apple troll, actually I've decided on getting the Galaxy S2 when it comes out later this month.. After 9 months of using WP7 I've categorized it as a Smartohone for dummies, not as degrading of a title as it sounds but with how little you can customize, adjust, backup/restore, set custom ringtones, set up multiple screens and so on it just seems WP7 is for someone who easily gets confused on truly customizing their phone and multitasking, they will rather just deal with
one page of tiles/apps.. There is a market for that kind of phone but it's just not for me..

[ Edited ]
17 of 43 (1,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2011 1:54:50 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by neil0311 on Sep 5, 2011 at 1:58:00 PM

pmt1209 wrote:

And another FACT for you is that Apple only has a SINGLE hardware platform (and was on a single GSM carrier too until earlier this year) to test and innovate for, so you either love it or hate it, but you live with it as they give it to you.   That means that you get the Apple version of the phone....period.   As with all Apple products, it's so much simpler to test and release something with a closed eco-system.   

Can you buy an iPhone with a hard keyboard?  Nope.   Can you buy an iPhone with a 4.7 inch screen?  Nope.  Until just a few months ago, you couldn't even buy an iPhone with CDMA.  

pmt1209 wrote:

And another FACT for you is that Apple only has a SINGLE hardware platform (and was on a single GSM carrier too until earlier this year) to test and innovate for, so you either love it or hate it, but you live with it as they give it to you.   That means that you get the Apple version of the phone....period.   As with all Apple products, it's so much simpler to test and release something with a closed eco-system.   

Can you buy an iPhone with a hard keyboard?  Nope.   Can you buy an iPhone with a 4.7 inch screen?  Nope.  Until just a few months ago, you couldn't even buy an iPhone with CDMA.  

[ Edited ]
18 of 43 (1,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2011 6:00:39 AM
(0)
Scholar

neil0311 wrote:

That's why I decided to go with the Galaxy S2 when AT&T releases it later this month.. Big, bright vivid 4.3"  AMOLED display and more customizing options then wp7 will ever have...

neil0311 wrote:

That's why I decided to go with the Galaxy S2 when AT&T releases it later this month.. Big, bright vivid 4.3"  AMOLED display and more customizing options then wp7 will ever have...

19 of 43 (1,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2011 12:50:08 PM
(0)
Teacher

Here are the 5 features I can't wait for:

1. Being able to open Office docs from SkyDrive. Not having this feature made Office pretty much useless, especially since they removed the ability to sync documents thru Zune (or ActiveSync).
  2. Turn-by-turn directions
  3. Full IE9
  4. Fix camera bugs (not being able to turn off the sound, and other annoying artifacts), aka Sticky settings.
  5. Marketplace Search upgrade. Being able to search for an app without coming up with a song or an artist will be nice.

Everything else is a bonus.

People: I like the versatility of seeing Facebook updates on the People hub, but I'm not a huge FB/Twitter user, so the whole FB/Twitter integration is of limited use to me. It's likely that once I see that, I would be tempted to use those services a lot more. The ability to create/follow groups is probably the most compelling feature in this category.

Bing/Search: The searching enhancements will be cetainly a welcome feature. Visual and sound search should find immediate use in my repertoire.

Pictures: The ability to tag people is cool. Not sure if the other platforms support this natively. The AutoFix feature should be pretty cool as well. Hopefully that will finally make my standalone camera redundant (I'm not much of a picture taker, as you can tell -- as long as they are sufficiently high in resolution, and not shaky, I'm OK with them).

Multitasking: It's surprising that despite having been a user of Windows Mobile since Samsung i700 (PPC 2003 Phone Edition), I didn't really miss multitasking at all (except while going "back" on IE). Be nice to have, but I'm not dying for it.

Here are the 5 features I can't wait for:

1. Being able to open Office docs from SkyDrive. Not having this feature made Office pretty much useless, especially since they removed the ability to sync documents thru Zune (or ActiveSync).
  2. Turn-by-turn directions
  3. Full IE9
  4. Fix camera bugs (not being able to turn off the sound, and other annoying artifacts), aka Sticky settings.
  5. Marketplace Search upgrade. Being able to search for an app without coming up with a song or an artist will be nice.

Everything else is a bonus.

People: I like the versatility of seeing Facebook updates on the People hub, but I'm not a huge FB/Twitter user, so the whole FB/Twitter integration is of limited use to me. It's likely that once I see that, I would be tempted to use those services a lot more. The ability to create/follow groups is probably the most compelling feature in this category.

Bing/Search: The searching enhancements will be cetainly a welcome feature. Visual and sound search should find immediate use in my repertoire.

Pictures: The ability to tag people is cool. Not sure if the other platforms support this natively. The AutoFix feature should be pretty cool as well. Hopefully that will finally make my standalone camera redundant (I'm not much of a picture taker, as you can tell -- as long as they are sufficiently high in resolution, and not shaky, I'm OK with them).

Multitasking: It's surprising that despite having been a user of Windows Mobile since Samsung i700 (PPC 2003 Phone Edition), I didn't really miss multitasking at all (except while going "back" on IE). Be nice to have, but I'm not dying for it.

20 of 43 (1,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2011 6:20:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

I now realize I made a gigantic mistake when I changed carriers from Verizon to AT&T and the Samsung Focus with Windows Phone 7. I can't believe I am unable to use my old ringtones, which are very important because I run my PC business off of my cell phone. I used to be able to easily distinguish personal calls from buisness calls, important customer calls from whiners, my Mother's emergency calls from my brother's requests for free computer advice, my wife's calls from my girlfriend's and my distributor's calls from telemarketers (just kidding about the girlfriend). The countdown I am living with right now is the countdown to dump AT&T without having to pay too much of a penalty. From the very start, I had to fight with ATT over incorrect billing - three months in a row, their mishandling of my wife's corporate discount and their support people promising me that the first Windows Phone update would allow me to add my old ringtones...NOT! Windows Phone 7 is just Microshaft's wireless version of VISTA and/or Windows ME, take your pick. Anyway, when and if ATT ever allows us lowly Windows Phone users to update to Mango, if it doesn't allow me to use my old personalized ring tones, I will 'Jailbreak' this piece of crap and use it that way for as long as I can stand it then bite the bullet and pay the early termination penalty.

I now realize I made a gigantic mistake when I changed carriers from Verizon to AT&T and the Samsung Focus with Windows Phone 7. I can't believe I am unable to use my old ringtones, which are very important because I run my PC business off of my cell phone. I used to be able to easily distinguish personal calls from buisness calls, important customer calls from whiners, my Mother's emergency calls from my brother's requests for free computer advice, my wife's calls from my girlfriend's and my distributor's calls from telemarketers (just kidding about the girlfriend). The countdown I am living with right now is the countdown to dump AT&T without having to pay too much of a penalty. From the very start, I had to fight with ATT over incorrect billing - three months in a row, their mishandling of my wife's corporate discount and their support people promising me that the first Windows Phone update would allow me to add my old ringtones...NOT! Windows Phone 7 is just Microshaft's wireless version of VISTA and/or Windows ME, take your pick. Anyway, when and if ATT ever allows us lowly Windows Phone users to update to Mango, if it doesn't allow me to use my old personalized ring tones, I will 'Jailbreak' this piece of crap and use it that way for as long as I can stand it then bite the bullet and pay the early termination penalty.

21 of 43 (2,714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2011 6:33:05 AM
(0)
Master

AT&T Mango push starts 9//27 according to leaked memo.

Sounds like you're not happy with how Windows Phone 7 works. Not really AT&T's fault.

IIRC, customized ringtone is one of the features of Mango but you will probably find something else to not like about. There is no perfect phone/mobile OS. WP7 is a decent option in between iPhone and Android. It's all about do your home work before you sign two years of your life to a carrier.

AT&T Mango push starts 9//27 according to leaked memo.

Sounds like you're not happy with how Windows Phone 7 works. Not really AT&T's fault.

IIRC, customized ringtone is one of the features of Mango but you will probably find something else to not like about. There is no perfect phone/mobile OS. WP7 is a decent option in between iPhone and Android. It's all about do your home work before you sign two years of your life to a carrier.

22 of 43 (2,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2011 10:24:11 AM
(0)
Contributor

Anyone have any information about the Mango update on the Focus 1.3 vs 1.4 chipset? Rumors are rampant that we'll  have another "NoDo" debacle, and that the 1.4 devices won't get Mango til the end of October.

Anyone have any information about the Mango update on the Focus 1.3 vs 1.4 chipset? Rumors are rampant that we'll  have another "NoDo" debacle, and that the 1.4 devices won't get Mango til the end of October.

23 of 43 (2,629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2011 11:07:12 AM
(0)
Master
According to wpcentral, 1.3 update starts tomorrow and 1.4 just entered testing phase and is targeting for middle of oct.
According to wpcentral, 1.3 update starts tomorrow and 1.4 just entered testing phase and is targeting for middle of oct.

24 of 43 (2,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2011 8:18:09 PM
(0)
Scholar

pmt1209 wrote:

neil0311 wrote:

You do know the Focus S is the Galaxy S2 with a different cpu and OS.

I bet it kills the Galaxy S2 in battery life

pmt1209 wrote:

neil0311 wrote:

I love Chicago

25 of 43 (2,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2011 9:52:00 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pmt1209 on Sep 26, 2011 at 9:52:57 PM

I'll gladly take a little battery hit for a better phone and definitely a MUCH better OS.. Honestly the GS2 is Samsung''s flagship where the focus is middle of the pack so comparing is not truley fair, Samsung's next "flagship" phone is already in the making (Galaxy S3) and again it is already set to run Android ICS. Specs on it are incrediblle,  iphone killer?? Smiley Happy

Specs.

- 

Android Ice Cream Sandwich

4.65-inch Super AMOLED screen with a res of 1280×1024
- 2Ghz Quad core processor
- 1.5GB of RAM
- 32GB inbuilt storage
- 10 megapixel camera with full 1080p HD recording

I'll gladly take a little battery hit for a better phone and definitely a MUCH better OS.. Honestly the GS2 is Samsung''s flagship where the focus is middle of the pack so comparing is not truley fair, Samsung's next "flagship" phone is already in the making (Galaxy S3) and again it is already set to run Android ICS. Specs on it are incrediblle,  iphone killer?? Smiley Happy

Specs.

- 

Android Ice Cream Sandwich

4.65-inch Super AMOLED screen with a res of 1280×1024
- 2Ghz Quad core processor
- 1.5GB of RAM
- 32GB inbuilt storage
- 10 megapixel camera with full 1080p HD recording

[ Edited ]
26 of 43 (2,430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 9:34:19 AM
(0)
Master

pmt1209 wrote:

I'll gladly take a little battery hit for a better phone and definitely a MUCH better OS.. Honestly the GS2 is Samsung''s flagship where the focus is middle of the pack so comparing is not truley fair,

He's talking about Focus S, not Focus. Focus S is basically Galaxy S2 running WP7.

pmt1209 wrote:

I'll gladly take a little battery hit for a better phone and definitely a MUCH better OS.. Honestly the GS2 is Samsung''s flagship where the focus is middle of the pack so comparing is not truley fair,

He's talking about Focus S, not Focus. Focus S is basically Galaxy S2 running WP7.

27 of 43 (2,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 12:05:54 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pmt1209 on Sep 27, 2011 at 12:07:25 PM

I'll gladly take a little battery hit for a better phone and definitely a MUCH better OS.. Honestly the GS2 is Samsung''s flagship where the focus is middle of the pack so comparing is not truly fair,

I'm sorry my bad, typo.., I did know he meant the Focus S.. the Focus S is being touted as "Galaxy S2 Like",  same display and design but internally and power wise not the G2 power wise, the Focus S will have a single core 1.4  processor with less ram vsGS2's Dual Core ARM Cortex-A9 processor with 16GB/32GB storage & 1 Gb. RAM.. Apparently WP7 won't be dual core ready until probably WP8.. But again the price to pay for more power is a bit less battery life and again  I'll  gladly take a little battery hit  vs. the alternative....

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1070151/galaxy_s2like_samsung_focus_s_pops_up_online.html

I'll gladly take a little battery hit for a better phone and definitely a MUCH better OS.. Honestly the GS2 is Samsung''s flagship where the focus is middle of the pack so comparing is not truly fair,

I'm sorry my bad, typo.., I did know he meant the Focus S.. the Focus S is being touted as "Galaxy S2 Like",  same display and design but internally and power wise not the G2 power wise, the Focus S will have a single core 1.4  processor with less ram vsGS2's Dual Core ARM Cortex-A9 processor with 16GB/32GB storage & 1 Gb. RAM.. Apparently WP7 won't be dual core ready until probably WP8.. But again the price to pay for more power is a bit less battery life and again  I'll  gladly take a little battery hit  vs. the alternative....

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1070151/galaxy_s2like_samsung_focus_s_pops_up_online.html

[ Edited ]
28 of 43 (1,978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 3:30:31 PM
(0)
Master

Sound like you know more about the OS you don't like than the OS you do like Smiley Happy Android, although supports the use of dual-core CPU, actually can't utilize it until ICS (or HoneyComb tablet). So, for now, that dual-core is just a bragging right. Not much use at all. Besides, WP7 running at a very ancient 1GHz Sanpdragon feels much more fluid than ANY android phone with dual or quad cores, e.g. the lag in any Android phone.

Sound like you know more about the OS you don't like than the OS you do like Smiley Happy Android, although supports the use of dual-core CPU, actually can't utilize it until ICS (or HoneyComb tablet). So, for now, that dual-core is just a bragging right. Not much use at all. Besides, WP7 running at a very ancient 1GHz Sanpdragon feels much more fluid than ANY android phone with dual or quad cores, e.g. the lag in any Android phone.

29 of 43 (1,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 7:02:47 PM
(0)
Professor

I had my Mango pushed today. Actually not pushed, I had to pull. Simply plug your Focus in and connect to Zune. Check for updates and disconnect your wireless on your computer at the beginning fo the check. It will then see the update. Reconnect the wireless and you will be good to go. Just follow the prompts. I had to do it twice. I guess I went from NoDo to the Win security patch then to Mango. It actually says OS version 7.10.7720.68

I had my Mango pushed today. Actually not pushed, I had to pull. Simply plug your Focus in and connect to Zune. Check for updates and disconnect your wireless on your computer at the beginning fo the check. It will then see the update. Reconnect the wireless and you will be good to go. Just follow the prompts. I had to do it twice. I guess I went from NoDo to the Win security patch then to Mango. It actually says OS version 7.10.7720.68

30 of 43 (1,810 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments