Samsung Focus BlueTooth problem

Tutor

Samsung Focus BlueTooth problem

I'm having problems w/my new Samsung Focus when paired with my car's built-in BT handsfree system (07 Infiniti G35).  Any call originated from the car has horribly garbled audio--completely distorted / unintelligible + loud.  I found that if I disconnect the connection and then reconnect it during the same call, the audio is restored (sometimes better than others).  I contacted the ATT store & they suggested I come by to try out their working display phones (Focus & HTC Surround).  My old 3GS & a couple of droids work fine w/my car.  I tested my Focus in an older model (05?) G35 & it worked fine there.  Anyone else having similar issues? 

Message 1 of 38 (9,547 Views)
Contributor

Re: Samsung Focus BlueTooth problem

[ Edited ]

I have a similar problem with Samsung Focus and Plantonics Pro bluetooth
handsfree headset - the volume cycles in and out during a call.  If I switch to
non-bluetooth, holding the phone to my ear, the problem goes away. 
Interestingly, if I listen to the same voicemail 2-3 times in a row, the volume
fades in and out at the same points in the voice message, each time I listen to
it.  If I switch to non-bluetooth, I can hear and understand the full voice
message.

Initially I suspected that my headset had gone bad; so Plantronics has sent
me a replacement.  However it didn't fix the problem.  Between that, and finding
this thread, I now know it's either a hardware problem or a WP7 software
problem.

My wife also has a Samsung Focus; and hasn't had this problem.  She uses a
cheaper Nokia bluetooth headset.  So perhaps the problem is related to how WP7
interacts with the features in my noise-cancelling headset.

Message 31 of 38 (1,714 Views)
Contributor

That is *exactly* the problem I have had in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Volume always seem to fluctuate during calls. When listening to messages using the bluetooth connection, the volume fades at exactly the same point on the message when listening to it again. I also have a problem with my Motorola bluetooth earphone, although not as pronnounced as with the Jeep.

Several times the bluetooth connection in the car has been dropped (the car warns that the call has been transferred to the phone). I have also had problems connecting to an AT&T DECT wireless phone in the house, although it has only dropped the bluetooth connection a couple of times.

I have seen a large number of messages about this problem in several forums, including here and at Microsoft. Something is obviously not right.

CG

Message 32 of 38 (1,623 Views)
Contributor

Well, count me in.

My focus has the BT volume and stability issues with:

Jawbone (original)

Jawbon ERA

Jabro Pro 9470

Would be nice if either Samsung or MS would acknowledge that they own the issue at least.  Of course, then we'd know who to name in the class action suit Smiley Wink

Message 33 of 38 (1,593 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

TheMadTexan wrote:

Well, count me in.

My focus has the BT volume and stability issues with:

Jawbone (original)

Jawbon ERA

Jabro Pro 9470

Would be nice if either Samsung or MS would acknowledge that they own the issue at least.  Of course, then we'd know who to name in the class action suit Smiley Wink

let me guess the company that has the most money?

It works fine on my Sync equipped vehicle with the exception that the over the stereo volume is to low when I first make or answer a call, just have to raised the volume on the steering wheel

Message 34 of 38 (1,578 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

I just called AT&amp;T about this, they say they have no records of problems with the Focus and Bluetooth. Such a lie, this is why AT&amp;T is so hated!!<br><br>Very poor customer service and not willing to take ownership of problems.

Needless to say I am having the same problems with my Focus and my plantronics 925, have tied to headsets.
Message 35 of 38 (1,487 Views)
Contributor

I have the exact same issue even with the latest Windows Phone 7 Updates on the Samsung Focus phone. My car is Nissan Altima Hybrid with Bose stereo bluetooth system. I am having issues with bluetooth phone conv.

Message 36 of 38 (1,243 Views)
Tutor

How can AT&T say they have 'no record' of the problem?  We have documented it them here on their very own web forum.

This is typical 3 way finger pointing between the carrier, phone manufacturer and the OS developer (MicroSoft).   The average consumer does not know from which leg the problem exists so they deflect you to a wild goose chase trying to resolve the issue.   Similarly, I had an issue with ZUNE when I first bought the phone.  AT&T blames MS (Zune) who blamed Samsung, who blamed AT&T.  I finally resolved it myself by a lot of online research, trial and error.

The Bluetooth issue is with MS and it's use of Bluetooth profiles.  From what I am reading on the Windows Phone forums, MS has recently acknowledged it.  Although I was hoping it would be resolved with the February and March OS Updates, but I experience no change.  Apparently MS will be making an Update for the Bluetooth issues.  When?  Hopefully before I move onto my next phone.

From what I read, the volume cycling low to high with Bluetooth connected devices (HFL for me), is due to a conflict with the phone's feature to cancel out backround noise causing the volume level to cycle.   Similarly, in concept, my Acura RL has Active Noise Cancellation in the Bose stereo system...which I wonder if that further 'confuses' the phone.

Another example of Bluetooth weirdness is if I pair my phone with my laptop, any alert tone (ie text message, email, etc) is then broadcast through the laptop speakers, loudly.  It seems to treat anything paired  via Bluetooth as a headset.  It does this with my car's HFL also, very annoying when trying to carry a conversation vvia Bluetooth HFL and  alert tones are sounding over yur conversation, broadcasting through the car's stereo system.  But even with the Bluetooth off and using just the handset, alert tones blare through the phone's earpiece while I am talking on the phone.

This is a huge step backward in Bluetooth capability.  I have had several phone's with very elegant and seamless Bluetooth capability.  They were Motorola devices (V550s, RAZR, MotoQ9h), which all worked beautifully with my Acura's HFL (inluding Data Connect for AcuraLink) for the past 6 years.   It seems Motorola has traditionally had more robust Bluetooth stacks and more usable Bluetooth profiles.   MicroSoft really dropped the ball on this feature with is a much more usable utility to me over gaming features.

It is a shame.  I really love the phone otherwise and have found it pretty stable.  The OS simplicity is elegant compared to the competition and for a business user,, it really does all I need it to do.   But the Bluetooth shortcomings are blatantly a failure from MS's Windows Phone OS and AT&T should man up and inform it's customers that Bluetooth usabiity is very compromised.  Bluetooth is very highly used for hands free use, and it is more important that voice use works over streaming music, playing games or watching TV.  It is, afterall. called 'Windows PHONE'.

Message 37 of 38 (1,235 Views)
Contributor

Hi, I am also trying to connect to BlueAnt, but my focus says - "couldn't connect". Do you have any advice for me?
Message 38 of 38 (1,148 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.