Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 17, 2010
5:56:38 AM
View profile
Samsung Focus: 8GB Enough?

I'm thinking about buying thr Focus this weekend.

Is 8GB enough?  Trying to google that phrase just gets complaints that it isn't enough.  But why?

If I don't plan to use it for a lot of photos (I have a separate camera for that) or for music (I have a tiny iPod Shuffle and/or my laptop for that), then all I need is enough for calendar and contacts, application space, web browsing...

It doesn't sound like I need that much space, and I can always reset the phone later and add additional memory later.

What do you think?

I'm thinking about buying thr Focus this weekend.

Is 8GB enough?  Trying to google that phrase just gets complaints that it isn't enough.  But why?

If I don't plan to use it for a lot of photos (I have a separate camera for that) or for music (I have a tiny iPod Shuffle and/or my laptop for that), then all I need is enough for calendar and contacts, application space, web browsing...

It doesn't sound like I need that much space, and I can always reset the phone later and add additional memory later.

What do you think?

Samsung Focus: 8GB Enough?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2010 9:06:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

The Samsung Focus has a microSD slot for expandable memory. Just make sure you put the memory card in before booting the device for the first time, and do not ever remove the card, unless you back up everything, you will have to do a software reboot to repartition the SD card.

The Samsung Focus has a microSD slot for expandable memory. Just make sure you put the memory card in before booting the device for the first time, and do not ever remove the card, unless you back up everything, you will have to do a software reboot to repartition the SD card.

Re: Samsung Focus: 8GB Enough?

2 of 11 (1,643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2010 2:34:55 AM
(0)
Scholar

That wasn't the question.  :/

That wasn't the question.  :/

3 of 11 (1,624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2010 3:43:31 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Nov 18, 2010 at 3:43:59 AM

If you don't intend to store a lot of music and video, 8GB is more than enough. My last WM phone has 200MB of storage and I thought that was a lot.

However, it is a waste of the beautiful 4" Super AMOLED screen if you don't want to watch video on it. If you do, 8GB will be a little bit short but still manageable. It's the songs and videos that take up a lot of space.

If you don't intend to store a lot of music and video, 8GB is more than enough. My last WM phone has 200MB of storage and I thought that was a lot.

However, it is a waste of the beautiful 4" Super AMOLED screen if you don't want to watch video on it. If you do, 8GB will be a little bit short but still manageable. It's the songs and videos that take up a lot of space.

[ Edited ]
4 of 11 (1,612 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2010 4:03:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

I got a 1 gb vid, some pics(approx 30), about 200 songs from Zune pass and I am not using 8gb yet. I am using 6gb, oh and a bunch of apps just to try them out are installed too. Smiley Very Happy

I got a 1 gb vid, some pics(approx 30), about 200 songs from Zune pass and I am not using 8gb yet. I am using 6gb, oh and a bunch of apps just to try them out are installed too. Smiley Very Happy

5 of 11 (1,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2010 4:56:25 PM
(0)
Master

The phone only has a little bit over 6GB free space out of box. You will not be able to store 8GB stuff on it.

The phone only has a little bit over 6GB free space out of box. You will not be able to store 8GB stuff on it.

6 of 11 (1,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2010 6:44:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

Did I understand Sandisk withdrew their recommended memory chips?

I'm headed to lunch to buy it in about 3 hours, but it sounds like there won't be a recommended SDHC card.

Did I understand Sandisk withdrew their recommended memory chips?

I'm headed to lunch to buy it in about 3 hours, but it sounds like there won't be a recommended SDHC card.

7 of 11 (1,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2010 7:39:50 AM
(0)
Guru

On MS website, SanDisk (class 2), 4 & 8 gb are on "approved list".

I have 16gb (SanDisk) in my Focus with no problem and no noticeable loss of speed.

I have 16gb (SanDisk) in my Focus with no problem and no noticeable loss of speed.

8 of 11 (1,471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2010 8:31:53 AM
(0)
Expert

prubin wrote:

have a 32GB class 4 Kingston card in mine. Card has been installed since I picked up the phone back on the 8th and have had no issues with it.

prubin wrote:

have a 32GB class 4 Kingston card in mine. Card has been installed since I picked up the phone back on the 8th and have had no issues with it.

9 of 11 (1,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2010 9:58:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

Just be sure to use SDHC flash and don't buy the cheap crap.   I put 32GB of SanDisk SDHC in mine and it works fine. 

As for the original question, what do you use for storage today on your desktop, laptop, iPod, Zune, etc?   Use that as a model.   As stated, HD video will take up multiple GB just for one flick, so plan accordingly.    8GB would be tight if you plan to install apps, download some songs and videos, and take pix and videos with the 5mp camera.    Those will require some space too. 

For me, the money for flash was well spent, and now I have close to 40GB to play with and no worries.

Just be sure to use SDHC flash and don't buy the cheap crap.   I put 32GB of SanDisk SDHC in mine and it works fine. 

As for the original question, what do you use for storage today on your desktop, laptop, iPod, Zune, etc?   Use that as a model.   As stated, HD video will take up multiple GB just for one flick, so plan accordingly.    8GB would be tight if you plan to install apps, download some songs and videos, and take pix and videos with the 5mp camera.    Those will require some space too. 

For me, the money for flash was well spent, and now I have close to 40GB to play with and no worries.

10 of 11 (1,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2010 7:34:25 AM
(0)
Mentor

Well, that's not really true. SanDisk pulled their list of "Windows Phone-compatible"  cards a day after they put them up. The web is full of reports that even more-expensive cards can cause the "15-mb-free" issue. So if you're going to get a micro SDHC card for your phone, be prepared in case there are problems and be sure you can return the card without a hassle.

Well, that's not really true. SanDisk pulled their list of "Windows Phone-compatible"  cards a day after they put them up. The web is full of reports that even more-expensive cards can cause the "15-mb-free" issue. So if you're going to get a micro SDHC card for your phone, be prepared in case there are problems and be sure you can return the card without a hassle.

11 of 11 (404 Views)