Wireless Forums

Posted Aug 17, 2010
3:37:31 PM
View profile
Samsung Captivate will not receive texts

I have had the phone for a couple weeks now. I was texting an AT&T number this morning before I went to work. I stopped receiving texts and kept texting the number. I called my friend on the way home and found out they were receiving my texts and responding. It has been almost 12 hours since the last received text message. I have checked it by having other friends texting me with no progress. I do not want to have to restore the phone. Has anyone else been having this issue? Is there some sort of simple fix that doesn't require a restore? I use handcent SMS and also attempted to go back to the stock messaging app for anyone who wonders.

I have had the phone for a couple weeks now. I was texting an AT&T number this morning before I went to work. I stopped receiving texts and kept texting the number. I called my friend on the way home and found out they were receiving my texts and responding. It has been almost 12 hours since the last received text message. I have checked it by having other friends texting me with no progress. I do not want to have to restore the phone. Has anyone else been having this issue? Is there some sort of simple fix that doesn't require a restore? I use handcent SMS and also attempted to go back to the stock messaging app for anyone who wonders.

Samsung Captivate will not receive texts

24 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(24)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2010 4:13:13 PM
(0)
Guru

Have you tried just power off and Power on the phone back on? Sometimes A powercycle helps. Shouldn't have too since its so new, but it may help.

Have you tried just power off and Power on the phone back on? Sometimes A powercycle helps. Shouldn't have too since its so new, but it may help.

Re: Samsung Captivate will not receive texts

2 of 25 (30,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 5:24:22 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Aug 18, 2010 at 5:25:13 AM

Contact AT&T 611 or the 1800 number on "contact us" for further assistance. It may be an SMS account issue where it's not established properly. If another person texts you and you don't receive it, it may very well be a setup issue.

Contact AT&T 611 or the 1800 number on "contact us" for further assistance. It may be an SMS account issue where it's not established properly. If another person texts you and you don't receive it, it may very well be a setup issue.

[ Edited ]
3 of 25 (30,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 8:51:49 AM
(0)
Mentor

I had the same problem.  A quick call to 611 and this is what I was given:

Go to messaging, hit the menu button, and settings.

Under Message center, there should be a number.  I have 13123149810.

Try that and then test.

I had the same problem.  A quick call to 611 and this is what I was given:

Go to messaging, hit the menu button, and settings.

Under Message center, there should be a number.  I have 13123149810.

Try that and then test.

4 of 25 (30,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2010 9:54:35 AM
(0)
Contributor

Located in the Kansas city area and have two phones on different plans, with the same issue.  Problem started around the wee hours of 8/19.  First try with tech support yielding nothing, the second has the issue being escalated to the network team to look at.

We performed some testing and the following was true for us.

1.  Outgoing text messages worked fine.

2.  Incoming MMS worked fine.

3.  Incoming SMS failed from inside and outside of the network.

4.  Message center number is set correctly.

5.  Pulled the battery, pulled the sim, removed 3rd party texting apps, etc...all resulted in no improvement.

6.  Message center number is set correctly

7.  An iPhone at the same location is working fine...seems to be limited to the Captivate.

Hope they can find something they soon.

Located in the Kansas city area and have two phones on different plans, with the same issue.  Problem started around the wee hours of 8/19.  First try with tech support yielding nothing, the second has the issue being escalated to the network team to look at.

1.  Outgoing text messages worked fine.

2.  Incoming MMS worked fine.

3.  Incoming SMS failed from inside and outside of the network.

4.  Message center number is set correctly.

5.  Pulled the battery, pulled the sim, removed 3rd party texting apps, etc...all resulted in no improvement.

7.  An iPhone at the same location is working fine...seems to be limited to the Captivate.

Hope they can find something they soon.

5 of 25 (29,994 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 4:56:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

Changed BB Bold in for Samsung Captivate three weeks ago, the Blackberry specific service plan was also changed. Now unable to recieve SMS messages from Verizon users.

I contacted AT&T 3 times for help. On each call customer service and tech. support were attentive and seemingly knowledgable regarding troubleshooting SMS problems, but nothing they did fixed the problem. According to AT&T,

1. Correct phone settings are confirmed, network connection reset and verified.

2. Network service settings checked and confirmed correct.

3. 3rd party SMS services provider was contacted. Logs show my sent messages, but texts originating in Verizon network do not reach 3rd party network. 

Last AT&T technician, unable to assist further, suggested that I ask a Verizon friend to troubleshoot from their end. The problem is coincident with the change of phone and plan and plainly related. AT&T's position is unsatisfactory, and I am at a loss for a solution.

Changed BB Bold in for Samsung Captivate three weeks ago, the Blackberry specific service plan was also changed. Now unable to recieve SMS messages from Verizon users.

I contacted AT&T 3 times for help. On each call customer service and tech. support were attentive and seemingly knowledgable regarding troubleshooting SMS problems, but nothing they did fixed the problem. According to AT&T,

1. Correct phone settings are confirmed, network connection reset and verified.

2. Network service settings checked and confirmed correct.

3. 3rd party SMS services provider was contacted. Logs show my sent messages, but texts originating in Verizon network do not reach 3rd party network. 

Last AT&T technician, unable to assist further, suggested that I ask a Verizon friend to troubleshoot from their end. The problem is coincident with the change of phone and plan and plainly related. AT&T's position is unsatisfactory, and I am at a loss for a solution.

6 of 25 (29,840 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2010 6:01:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello, I seemed to be having the same problem as you described above.  I suddenly stopped receiving texts mid-conversation at about 5PM on Friday.  I finally made it out to my AT&T store today (Sunday) and the guy working resolved my problem in seconds.  He performed a hard reset on the device and seconds later I was receiving all the texts I had missed.  To perform the hard reset, take the cover off of the phone and remove the battery WHILE THE DEVICE IS STILL ON.  The device being powered on when the battery is removed is key.  I hope this helps.

Hello, I seemed to be having the same problem as you described above.  I suddenly stopped receiving texts mid-conversation at about 5PM on Friday.  I finally made it out to my AT&T store today (Sunday) and the guy working resolved my problem in seconds.  He performed a hard reset on the device and seconds later I was receiving all the texts I had missed.  To perform the hard reset, take the cover off of the phone and remove the battery WHILE THE DEVICE IS STILL ON.  The device being powered on when the battery is removed is key.  I hope this helps.

7 of 25 (29,767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2010 7:02:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

mine was doing that today, too.

i put the sim in another phone & all the back messages came.

put the sim back in the captivate & it was working again.

mine was doing that today, too.

i put the sim in another phone & all the back messages came.

put the sim back in the captivate & it was working again.

8 of 25 (29,756 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2010 12:40:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having a similar issue with my Captivate. About 4 days ago I started to only receive around 2 out of every 5 or 6 texts that my girlfriend sends me. (She has a second line on my Family Share plan via a 3Gs). Also about 25% of my texts from other users do not arrive as well. This started some time mid week last week, and I have had my Captivate for around 2 weeks now.

Needless to say its rather a royal pain when your significant other thinks you are blowing her off and ignoring her because texts are not arriving :smileysad:

I am having a similar issue with my Captivate. About 4 days ago I started to only receive around 2 out of every 5 or 6 texts that my girlfriend sends me. (She has a second line on my Family Share plan via a 3Gs). Also about 25% of my texts from other users do not arrive as well. This started some time mid week last week, and I have had my Captivate for around 2 weeks now.

Needless to say its rather a royal pain when your significant other thinks you are blowing her off and ignoring her because texts are not arriving :smileysad:

9 of 25 (29,675 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2010 1:46:21 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by NCR on Aug 23, 2010 at 1:46:57 PM

I finally received all of my texts on Sunday.  AT&T fixed something network related, at least that is what the tech told my friend with the same issue.

I finally received all of my texts on Sunday.  AT&T fixed something network related, at least that is what the tech told my friend with the same issue.

[ Edited ]
10 of 25 (29,661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2010 5:47:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

The exact same thing just happened to my Captivate.  Customer service wasn't able to help and directed me to the store to have the sim tested.   They said it's definitely sim related, so I just removed the battery and sim, put them back in, and now I'm getting all the missed texts.  You would think removing the sim would have been part of their troubleshooting process, but in any event, that worked for me.  Good luck. 

The exact same thing just happened to my Captivate.  Customer service wasn't able to help and directed me to the store to have the sim tested.   They said it's definitely sim related, so I just removed the battery and sim, put them back in, and now I'm getting all the missed texts.  You would think removing the sim would have been part of their troubleshooting process, but in any event, that worked for me.  Good luck. 

11 of 25 (18,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2010 5:07:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

We had the same problem with my husband's Captivate - lost incoming text message capability for two days and we didn't realize it.  Turns out the Task Killer Pro application was interfering with the incoming messages.  Unistalled that and all back messages came through, new messages are now able to be received. 

We did call tech support, they had us remove the battery and try the SIM on another phone, which worked to receive the messages, but then still wouldn't receive when put back in the Captivate.  They didn't suggest a software conflict - we found that solution in a one line message from a poster on a Sprint forum.

We had the same problem with my husband's Captivate - lost incoming text message capability for two days and we didn't realize it.  Turns out the Task Killer Pro application was interfering with the incoming messages.  Unistalled that and all back messages came through, new messages are now able to be received. 

We did call tech support, they had us remove the battery and try the SIM on another phone, which worked to receive the messages, but then still wouldn't receive when put back in the Captivate.  They didn't suggest a software conflict - we found that solution in a one line message from a poster on a Sprint forum.

12 of 25 (18,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2010 9:35:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same issue, happened the first time a few days ago, then again today. I have Advanced Task Killer installed, but I installed that the first day I had the phone ( in July ) and the problem just started so I don't know if they're related. The battery + sim trick is definitely a fix, but that's a miserable option for the life of the phone.

Same issue, happened the first time a few days ago, then again today. I have Advanced Task Killer installed, but I installed that the first day I had the phone ( in July ) and the problem just started so I don't know if they're related. The battery + sim trick is definitely a fix, but that's a miserable option for the life of the phone.

13 of 25 (18,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 10:22:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problem I can send text but not recieve them now I have to wait for the tech;s to get back to me in 5 to 7 business days.

I have the same problem I can send text but not recieve them now I have to wait for the tech;s to get back to me in 5 to 7 business days.

14 of 25 (17,731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 7:50:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

I ran into the exact same thing, uninstalled advanced task killer and now I recieve texts. Although past texts didn't come through.

I ran into the exact same thing, uninstalled advanced task killer and now I recieve texts. Although past texts didn't come through.

15 of 25 (16,902 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 8:01:37 AM
(0)
Tutor

I had this problem last week and had to do a master reset to fix it.  :smileysad:

I had this problem last week and had to do a master reset to fix it.  :smileysad:

16 of 25 (16,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2011 10:33:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

Again, similar problem with no solution yet found.

In PA. This problem happens occasionally to frequently. I have gone through the troubleshooting song and dance with a customer service representative and discovered the following is true, with the rep unable to satisfactorily solve the core problem"

1.  Outgoing text messages worked fine to all carriers.

2.  Incoming MMS worked fine from all carriers.

3.  Incoming SMS failed from inside and outside of the network.

4.  Message center number is set correctly.

5.  Pulled the batterypulled the simremoved 3rd party texting appsetc...all resulted in no improvement.

6.  Tried "hard restart" mentioned earlier in thread to no effect.

7.  The entire phone has been replaced (solving the problem of the phone losing power randomly).

8.  Separately, the SIM card has been replaced.

All of the above has resulted in no improvement. I have an unlocked GSM Motorola phone. If I move the SIM to that phone and turn it on, it will receive all messages that have been pending. Then I can transfer the SIM (with messages) back to the Captivate and it will resume normal functioning for a period of time. However, without warning and apparently without reason it will again stop receiving SMS later.

So nothing but the service itself is original, yet the problem persists. This is unacceptable. If this problem had manifested early enough after purchase, I would have returned it. But since it waited 2 months to show up the first time (It happened almost immediately upon receiving the replacement) I am now stuck with it, and the warranty is worthless since AT&T and Samsung seem to have no clue what the problem really is.

The only clue I have is, occasionally after swapping the SIM into the "dumb" phone and letting it receive the texts, I will have one message (the first one) from the number (as my phone displays it) 1111-301-000. Sometimes it's there, and sometimes it is not.

Again, similar problem with no solution yet found.

In PA. This problem happens occasionally to frequently. I have gone through the troubleshooting song and dance with a customer service representative and discovered the following is true, with the rep unable to satisfactorily solve the core problem"

1.  Outgoing text messages worked fine to all carriers.

2.  Incoming MMS worked fine from all carriers.

3.  Incoming SMS failed from inside and outside of the network.

4.  Message center number is set correctly.

5.  Pulled the batterypulled the simremoved 3rd party texting appsetc...all resulted in no improvement.

6.  Tried "hard restart" mentioned earlier in thread to no effect.

7.  The entire phone has been replaced (solving the problem of the phone losing power randomly).

8.  Separately, the SIM card has been replaced.

All of the above has resulted in no improvement. I have an unlocked GSM Motorola phone. If I move the SIM to that phone and turn it on, it will receive all messages that have been pending. Then I can transfer the SIM (with messages) back to the Captivate and it will resume normal functioning for a period of time. However, without warning and apparently without reason it will again stop receiving SMS later.

So nothing but the service itself is original, yet the problem persists. This is unacceptable. If this problem had manifested early enough after purchase, I would have returned it. But since it waited 2 months to show up the first time (It happened almost immediately upon receiving the replacement) I am now stuck with it, and the warranty is worthless since AT&T and Samsung seem to have no clue what the problem really is.

The only clue I have is, occasionally after swapping the SIM into the "dumb" phone and letting it receive the texts, I will have one message (the first one) from the number (as my phone displays it) 1111-301-000. Sometimes it's there, and sometimes it is not.

17 of 25 (16,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 7:29:53 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by cjdbass on Jan 10, 2011 at 7:38:34 AM

This problem seems to happen when I receive a very long SMS from an iPhone, or an MMS that includes text as well as a photo also from an iPhone. When I do my SIM swap thing to get it all working again, the first message is either a long SMS chain that is missing the first segment or a blank text from 111-130-1000 which I have learned is the number displayed when a phone not capable of receiving MMS (the Motorola I put the SIM in is not) is sent one. The two people with whom I text most frequently are iPhone users (4 and 3gs) and if memory serves, it is always a message from one of them that is first to come through (if not the 111-130-1000 number) when I swap the SIM.

This problem seems to happen when I receive a very long SMS from an iPhone, or an MMS that includes text as well as a photo also from an iPhone. When I do my SIM swap thing to get it all working again, the first message is either a long SMS chain that is missing the first segment or a blank text from 111-130-1000 which I have learned is the number displayed when a phone not capable of receiving MMS (the Motorola I put the SIM in is not) is sent one. The two people with whom I text most frequently are iPhone users (4 and 3gs) and if memory serves, it is always a message from one of them that is first to come through (if not the 111-130-1000 number) when I swap the SIM.

[ Edited ]
18 of 25 (16,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 6:25:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having the same problem as this.  I'm thinking an update of some app.. ATK or JuiceDefender....  uninstalled both... rebooted and still can't get texts... but can send.  iPhone in same area works fine.

1.  Outgoing text messages worked fine.

2.  Incoming MMS worked fine.

3.  Incoming SMS failed from inside and outside of the network.

4.  Message center number is set correctly.

5.  Pulled the battery, pulled the sim, removed 3rd party texting apps, etc...all resulted in no improvement.

I'm having the same problem as this.  I'm thinking an update of some app.. ATK or JuiceDefender....  uninstalled both... rebooted and still can't get texts... but can send.  iPhone in same area works fine.

1.  Outgoing text messages worked fine.

2.  Incoming MMS worked fine.

3.  Incoming SMS failed from inside and outside of the network.

4.  Message center number is set correctly.

5.  Pulled the battery, pulled the sim, removed 3rd party texting apps, etc...all resulted in no improvement.

19 of 25 (15,950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 9:27:47 PM
(0)
Contributor
Removing the battery with the phone on worked for me. Thanks
Removing the battery with the phone on worked for me. Thanks

20 of 25 (15,824 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2011 7:32:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

I've had this problem three separate times (all after airplane travel, for what's that's worth).

The first time, taking battery in and out fixed it.

The second time, new SIM card fixed it.

The third time, I needed a new SIM card AND I had to put the new SIM card into an old iPhone 3 (SIM card perfectly swappable) that we happened to have lying around.  By putting the SIM card into another device, all the stuck text messages I hadn't been getting came through into the old iPhone 3.  Then I put the SIM card back into my wonderful Captivate, and voila, text messaging worked again. 

So, we have no Flash or Media Hub as promised, it's laggy, and I stop receiving text messages after travel.  Yet, I still like my Captivate.  I guess it's the big beautiful screen, and Swype.

Good luck all. 

Rocketman_DC

I've had this problem three separate times (all after airplane travel, for what's that's worth).

The first time, taking battery in and out fixed it.

The second time, new SIM card fixed it.

The third time, I needed a new SIM card AND I had to put the new SIM card into an old iPhone 3 (SIM card perfectly swappable) that we happened to have lying around.  By putting the SIM card into another device, all the stuck text messages I hadn't been getting came through into the old iPhone 3.  Then I put the SIM card back into my wonderful Captivate, and voila, text messaging worked again. 

So, we have no Flash or Media Hub as promised, it's laggy, and I stop receiving text messages after travel.  Yet, I still like my Captivate.  I guess it's the big beautiful screen, and Swype.

Good luck all. 

Rocketman_DC

21 of 25 (12,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 12:26:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had this exact issue. My details:

-- My phone was refurbished.

-- It worked fine in all aspects (text send/receive) for 2 weeks then stopped receiving

-- I had installed no third party apps (no task killer)

-- All settings including my message center # were correct

-- I had tried the power cycle, battery out, SIM out....no fix

THE ANSWER for me: My "Routing Number" was incorrect in ATT's system. As soon as the tech fixed that, all of the missing text messages came flooding in. Solved. Happy.

I had this exact issue. My details:

-- My phone was refurbished.

-- It worked fine in all aspects (text send/receive) for 2 weeks then stopped receiving

-- I had installed no third party apps (no task killer)

-- All settings including my message center # were correct

-- I had tried the power cycle, battery out, SIM out....no fix

THE ANSWER for me: My "Routing Number" was incorrect in ATT's system. As soon as the tech fixed that, all of the missing text messages came flooding in. Solved. Happy.

22 of 25 (12,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2011 1:26:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same problem. Tried the soft restart, then the hard restart. Called AT&T tech support. Went through all the trouble shooting steps. They weren't able to solve the problem. Went to the store. They gave me the number for the warranty department. Called Samsung's tech support. They told me to do a master reset. Thankfully I checked the forums first. Swapped my SIM card into my old iPhone. Some messages rolled in. Then put the SIM back into my Captivate and a few more messages rolled in. The last message that came in before it stopped recieving was a shared contact from an HTC Aria(another Android phone on AT&T). As a sidenote, I have yet to recieve a shared contact that I could read. I had the Advanced Task Killer App installed but uninstalled it, with no luck, after reading that it was interefering with some peoples messaging app.

Same problem. Tried the soft restart, then the hard restart. Called AT&T tech support. Went through all the trouble shooting steps. They weren't able to solve the problem. Went to the store. They gave me the number for the warranty department. Called Samsung's tech support. They told me to do a master reset. Thankfully I checked the forums first. Swapped my SIM card into my old iPhone. Some messages rolled in. Then put the SIM back into my Captivate and a few more messages rolled in. The last message that came in before it stopped recieving was a shared contact from an HTC Aria(another Android phone on AT&T). As a sidenote, I have yet to recieve a shared contact that I could read. I had the Advanced Task Killer App installed but uninstalled it, with no luck, after reading that it was interefering with some peoples messaging app.

23 of 25 (11,754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2011 8:08:57 AM
(0)
Contributor

I hope this helps all.  I had the problem too and this might have happened not on our end, but the other end. 

i have a friend that has the Droid Pro for Verizon, and I wasnt recieving his texts either, but he was getting mine.  What happened was that he had synced his phone up with Facebook and brought in the contact info from there, and he had two contact info for me, one he entered manually and the other from the FB Sync, so he was  replying to somewhere in limbo. 

Might want to ask your friend, if they have a smartphone to double check the contact info, and make sure they were sending to the right number.

I hope this helps all.  I had the problem too and this might have happened not on our end, but the other end. 

i have a friend that has the Droid Pro for Verizon, and I wasnt recieving his texts either, but he was getting mine.  What happened was that he had synced his phone up with Facebook and brought in the contact info from there, and he had two contact info for me, one he entered manually and the other from the FB Sync, so he was  replying to somewhere in limbo. 

Might want to ask your friend, if they have a smartphone to double check the contact info, and make sure they were sending to the right number.

24 of 25 (11,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2011 11:46:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same issue with Captivate (daughter's).  Tried removing battery / sim card.. no joy. ATT Store provided a new SIM card, still no joy.  Ran through tutorial, number correct, messaging settings match.  Noticed the post about putting SIM card in another phone.  Used my Samsung JACK, and the unreceived messages flooded in. Replaced in the Captivate and now receiving texts.  NOTE for DEBUGGERS -- assuming anyone from AT&T monitors this...

There may have been a multiple picture text in the flood of text msgs to the JACK... I looked at a few and then deleted.

Same issue with Captivate (daughter's).  Tried removing battery / sim card.. no joy. ATT Store provided a new SIM card, still no joy.  Ran through tutorial, number correct, messaging settings match.  Noticed the post about putting SIM card in another phone.  Used my Samsung JACK, and the unreceived messages flooded in. Replaced in the Captivate and now receiving texts.  NOTE for DEBUGGERS -- assuming anyone from AT&T monitors this...

There may have been a multiple picture text in the flood of text msgs to the JACK... I looked at a few and then deleted.

25 of 25 (10,562 Views)