Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 12, 2012
12:43:24 PM
View profile
Samsung Captivate v. HTC Inspire

I want to get either the Captivate or the HTC Inspire because both are free upon 2 year contract. Which one has a friendlier user interface?!

BE BIASED!

Nightingale

I want to get either the Captivate or the HTC Inspire because both are free upon 2 year contract. Which one has a friendlier user interface?!

BE BIASED!

Nightingale

Samsung Captivate v. HTC Inspire

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2012 1:47:34 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Entropy512 on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:48:29 PM

I'd strongly encourage you to consider spending some money in order to get a device that has the possibility of getting an upgrade to ICS.

ICS will not be released officially for Captivate (but is available unofficially - unofficial ICS was ready before official Gingerbread!)

Not sure about the Inspire - it is also not likely to ever see an official ICS update.

Captivate is known for poor GPS performance, unsure about the Inspire.

Consider the pricing of the Galaxy S II (SGH-I777) - it's your best bet of seeing an ICS upgrade and the GPS performance is excellent, among other things.

I'd strongly encourage you to consider spending some money in order to get a device that has the possibility of getting an upgrade to ICS.

ICS will not be released officially for Captivate (but is available unofficially - unofficial ICS was ready before official Gingerbread!)

Not sure about the Inspire - it is also not likely to ever see an official ICS update.

Captivate is known for poor GPS performance, unsure about the Inspire.

Consider the pricing of the Galaxy S II (SGH-I777) - it's your best bet of seeing an ICS upgrade and the GPS performance is excellent, among other things.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

Re: Samsung Captivate v. HTC Inspire

[ Edited ]
2 of 8 (525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 9:31:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'd second Entropy512's sentiments - buying a Captivate now is a "dead end" update.  I'd strongly consider getting something that is at least supported through Ice Cream Sandwich.

I have a Captivate, and while I really liked the phone, there are several things that I didn't like about it:

1. GPS, while "functional", is pretty bad - much worse than on my Galaxy S 2
  2. AT&T updates are about a year or so late to it - not necessarily a "problem", but there are two kinds of updates:  Feature Updates (that, while nice to have, I don't care that much about) and Security Updates (that I care a LOT about).  Since the Captivate (and any Android phone) now store "more" of your digital identity, I see that as far more a problem than getting spiffy feature updates.
  3. No official Ice Cream Sandwich to ever be released for it - This sounds like a minor thing, but ICS does a lot of things "better" than Gingerbread does, and given that these phones act more and more like a computer, this can become more important over time.

So what's a person to do?  Other than getting a "dumb" phone, there aren't many options, particularly on AT&T.  To avoid option 2 (and really, the security aspect is what I'd be more concerned about), you must get an "official" Google phone (there are 3 of those - the Nexus One, the Nexus S and now the Nexus).

The alternative is to go the Apple Route.  Say what you like about Apple trying their best for vendor lock-in, but at least they update their (supported) phones in a timely manner.  The iPhone 4 is available for not too much money right now (100 dollars on contract?)

I can't say anything intelligent about the Inspire, however.

I'd second Entropy512's sentiments - buying a Captivate now is a "dead end" update.  I'd strongly consider getting something that is at least supported through Ice Cream Sandwich.

I have a Captivate, and while I really liked the phone, there are several things that I didn't like about it:

1. GPS, while "functional", is pretty bad - much worse than on my Galaxy S 2
  2. AT&T updates are about a year or so late to it - not necessarily a "problem", but there are two kinds of updates:  Feature Updates (that, while nice to have, I don't care that much about) and Security Updates (that I care a LOT about).  Since the Captivate (and any Android phone) now store "more" of your digital identity, I see that as far more a problem than getting spiffy feature updates.
  3. No official Ice Cream Sandwich to ever be released for it - This sounds like a minor thing, but ICS does a lot of things "better" than Gingerbread does, and given that these phones act more and more like a computer, this can become more important over time.

So what's a person to do?  Other than getting a "dumb" phone, there aren't many options, particularly on AT&T.  To avoid option 2 (and really, the security aspect is what I'd be more concerned about), you must get an "official" Google phone (there are 3 of those - the Nexus One, the Nexus S and now the Nexus).

The alternative is to go the Apple Route.  Say what you like about Apple trying their best for vendor lock-in, but at least they update their (supported) phones in a timely manner.  The iPhone 4 is available for not too much money right now (100 dollars on contract?)

I can't say anything intelligent about the Inspire, however.

3 of 8 (480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 12:29:29 PM
(0)
Professor

Samsung - Galaxy S II Skyrocket 4G Mobile Phone

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

Samsung - Galaxy S II Skyrocket 4G Mobile Phone

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

4 of 8 (452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 1:03:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

I have an Inspire and love it. But it's getting outdated. I'd get the galaxy 2 or skyrocket or one of the other 4G LTE phones particulary if you live in an area with 4g LTE. Good luck with your decision..

I have an Inspire and love it. But it's getting outdated. I'd get the galaxy 2 or skyrocket or one of the other 4G LTE phones particulary if you live in an area with 4g LTE. Good luck with your decision..

5 of 8 (450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 7:28:46 AM
(0)
Guru

I would not recommend the Skyrocket - a number of aspects of its design (LTE, Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU) mean that it gets poor battery life compared to the Galaxy S II.  (I refuse to apply the GSII name to the Skyrocket - it is not deserving of that designation.  The Galaxy S II represents Samsung's most refined and polished phone of 2011 using their premium in-house CPU design, the Exynos, the Skyrocket is an abomination cobbled together from their spare parts bin.)

The Skyrocket is a slower device despite being clocked 300 MHz higher, which means poor power consumption.  (Remember the Pentium 4 vs. Athlon XP?)

LTE will not be mature for at least another year.

I would not recommend the Skyrocket - a number of aspects of its design (LTE, Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU) mean that it gets poor battery life compared to the Galaxy S II.  (I refuse to apply the GSII name to the Skyrocket - it is not deserving of that designation.  The Galaxy S II represents Samsung's most refined and polished phone of 2011 using their premium in-house CPU design, the Exynos, the Skyrocket is an abomination cobbled together from their spare parts bin.)

The Skyrocket is a slower device despite being clocked 300 MHz higher, which means poor power consumption.  (Remember the Pentium 4 vs. Athlon XP?)

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

6 of 8 (441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 8:58:22 AM
(0)
Professor

Entropy512 wrote:

That's way you root them and install a better ROM. Had to do the same with my Inspire and my battery life doubled. I know, doubling the battery life of a smart phone isn't saying much, bot going from 5-6 hrs to 11-12 hrs is not bad for a smart phone.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

Entropy512 wrote:

That's way you root them and install a better ROM. Had to do the same with my Inspire and my battery life doubled. I know, doubling the battery life of a smart phone isn't saying much, bot going from 5-6 hrs to 11-12 hrs is not bad for a smart phone.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

7 of 8 (438 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2012 9:19:45 AM
(0)
Guru

ghostryder wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

Another reason not to get the Skyrocket - due to lacking any commonality with the international Galaxy S II, the Skyrocket doesn't have much development going for it.  I haven't looked recently, but for a long time the Skyrocket community practically had to bribe developers to touch the phone.  Heck, I wouldn't even bother developing for it if someone gave it to me for free!

The I777, on the other hand, has around 95% commonality with the international I9100.  The source code for kernels is so similar that I can build for both targets with just a single configuration change.

ghostryder wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

Another reason not to get the Skyrocket - due to lacking any commonality with the international Galaxy S II, the Skyrocket doesn't have much development going for it.  I haven't looked recently, but for a long time the Skyrocket community practically had to bribe developers to touch the phone.  Heck, I wouldn't even bother developing for it if someone gave it to me for free!

The I777, on the other hand, has around 95% commonality with the international I9100.  The source code for kernels is so similar that I can build for both targets with just a single configuration change.

8 of 8 (427 Views)