Samsung Captivate reception?

Scholar

Samsung Captivate reception?

I purchased a samsung captivate today and have been pleased except for a couple things..1- the RF indicator seems completely irratic! I go from full bars to zero bars alot.I can make calls no problem on zero so go figure but the data does run slow.The Reception indicator while not a HUGE deal its disturbing to not know really how good the reception is.Also the soft keys backlight in the dark stays on for a split second then cuts off? U have to try and memorize where the icons were or you'll press the wrong button. Interesting..

Message 1 of 15 (5,259 Views)
Mentor

Re: Samsung Captivate reception?

The captivate suffers from similar problems as the iphone. The attenuation has not been test yet to my knowledge so i am not sure how bad it is compared to the iphone but it seems to quite similar.

Message 2 of 15 (5,255 Views)
Voyager

anyone figure how to keep the soft keys lit longer?

Message 3 of 15 (5,056 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

I'm not having erratic issues as much as I'm having what seems to be less coverage or so says the signal bars say. My previous phone always showed full coverage in my apartment with a few dips here and there. This phone shows moderate to weak coverage in my apartment. The same goes around town. I do see that I always have coverage where I previously had it though it just always looks weak. The true test will be when I go visit my mom. I just wonder if there is a software issue signal reporting or is the reception actually weaker than my previous phone.

P.S.. I did see mention of this, possibly, in the phonescoop review of this phone.

Message 4 of 15 (4,969 Views)
Teacher

tino72 wrote:

I purchased a samsung captivate today and have been pleased except for a couple things..1- the RF indicator seems completely irratic! I go from full bars to zero bars alot.I can make calls no problem on zero so go figure but the data does run slow.The Reception indicator while not a HUGE deal its disturbing to not know really how good the reception is.Also the soft keys backlight in the dark stays on for a split second then cuts off? U have to try and memorize where the icons were or you'll press the wrong button. Interesting..

I am not having this issue.  The reception is definitely better than my Palm 680 that it replaced.

Message 5 of 15 (4,859 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Seems similar to my 3GS.  I have OK coverage at home, 3-5 bars, sometime dipping to 1-2; but mostly 3-4 range.  Call quality starts to degrade around 3, sounds very mechanized down at 2 or 1; but I've not lost any calls.

Interestingly, call quality on my 3GS remains quite good when the bars are down at the 1-2 level.

Message 6 of 15 (4,790 Views)
Teacher

Pretty much the same as my old 3GS phone.

Message 7 of 15 (4,736 Views)
Tutor

I notice the bars do seem to dance around a bit - but I have not had call quality issues, nor dropped calls.  I got this phone because I was dropping a lot of calls on the iPhone 4, so that's the only other smart phone I can compare it to.  I'm very happy with the call quality at this point.

Message 8 of 15 (4,661 Views)
Mentor

phoenixms wrote:

I'm not having erratic issues as much as I'm having what seems to be less coverage or so says the signal bars say. My previous phone always showed full coverage in my apartment with a few dips here and there. This phone shows moderate to weak coverage in my apartment. The same goes around town. I do see that I always have coverage where I previously had it though it just always looks weak. The true test will be when I go visit my mom. I just wonder if there is a software issue signal reporting or is the reception actually weaker than my previous phone.

P.S.. I did see mention of this, possibly, in the phonescoop review of this phone.

I made the trip to my Mom's house. She lives in the middle of nowhere and signal is pretty weak. You have to use your phone outside or near a window. I have to say even though the phone reports a weaker signal than my previous phone it gets better coverage in her home. Microcell right....no.... It's not an option. Her only option for internet access is dialup or Satellite and you can't do the Microcell on the Satellite.

Message 9 of 15 (4,479 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

I got the captivate on sunday. Its great but for one HUGE problem. When i am at home, Android reports i only have signal 50% of the time at best. It kills its own battery trying to find a signal. My iphone 3g had no such issues. So there is something not right with the phone. I can hold it however i want and its fine. Just sitting on my desk at home it only has signal at all about 50%... I will be returning the phone. Its really frustrating since i dont want a stupid iphone 4. I may have to just drop att entirely and go verizon.

Message 10 of 15 (4,401 Views)

The bars at my house shifted around a bit with my 3GS, but once i switched it to iOS4 I'd see 1-3 bars.  When the patch to properly calculate the bars was applied, I'd see 3 bars a couple times a day, mostly 1 bar.  On my captivate, I'm seeing similar behavior, and I have to believe that it's the phone calculating the signal strength properly, but on the other hand, if often goes down to 0 bars, and in the setting's menu, under about phone -> status -> signal strength it also shows 0 dBm and 0 asu, but will pop back to 1 bar with -111 dBm and 0 asu.  The last straw for upgrading to the Captivate so quickly was because the low bars in iOS 4 was killing my battery, about 10-15% drain/hr and over night it would die unless fully charged the night before.  When I stayed a couple nights out of state, I was bathed in 5 bars of goodness, and lost 3-5% overnight.  My hopes that an iPhone 4 would be any better are grim.  Battery seems to last better in the Captivate, and I know I've got it doing background processes that I could turn off if necessary.

Message 11 of 15 (2,090 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Captivate gets horrible reception in my home. I can't send txts some times it is that bad. But my wifes Iphone 4 has no problems at all she never drops a call. I have to stand by a window or outside to talk or send txts. I tried a microcell but never was able to get it to work, even connected directly to the cable modem still had connection problems, returning it tomorrow. T-Mobile UMA here I come. Wish att would get there head out of there arss and figure out that people don't want to pay an additional $200 to use our own bandwidth to make calls. At least T-mobile sees the light with the UMA phones they have now, sure it still uses minutes but at least there is no crappy equipment to buy. And you can make calls overseas on wifi Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 15 (902 Views)
Scholar

I have owned a Captivate for some time now, and drive 100 miles to work each weekend. I've noticed a significant drop in signal strength from my other phones.  I didn't worry about it too much because I usually managed to at least get my calls, although MMS was out of the question most of the time, especially at home. My roommate recently purchased a Captivate also, and neither of us can receive MMS in our house in the heart of Oklahoma City. Other people on the same network, with other phones receive the same messages with no problems.  We have decided it is the Captivate. We've been on the phone with AT&T for hours, supposedly they have opened a case on it, but after talking to others around the country who have experienced the same problem with the same phone, nothing is ever resolved and usually they don't ever contact you back.  Which I have found out for myself.  I believe they should replace the phones, but they won't.

Message 13 of 15 (787 Views)
Scholar

I should also mention that they tried to reassign us to 2G instead of 3G, which seems odd, since they are now pushing 4G. They were unable to do so over the phone. So, I'm not sure how to go about trying this. Daughters iPhone has better signal in the house they us, although I've heard of problems with iPhone and reception with AT&T.

Message 14 of 15 (786 Views)
Scholar

Obviously there isn't a lot of use in posting here.

Message 15 of 15 (753 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.