Samsung Captivate "Error Downloading Insufficient space on device"

Samsung Captivate "Error Downloading Insufficient space on device"

Has anyone gotten this error message while trying to download anything from the market? It has only occurred since the latest update for the market. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 11 (4,114 Views)
Mentor

Re: Samsung Captivate "Error Downloading Insufficient space on device"

I'm getting that on my Infuse too! I ended up deleting a lot of files and apps. VERY INCONVENIENT.
Message 2 of 11 (4,103 Views)

Even in addition to deleting some games and aplications in excess of a GB, I am still getting the error message.

Have 12.76 GB available space on internal SD Card

1.5 GB Internal phone storage

Message 3 of 11 (4,054 Views)
Mentor

Most people are saying that it's a market bug. But I'm not sure at this point because people seem to be downloading the apps that I can't get.

Message 4 of 11 (3,887 Views)

It will let me download various games. But when it comes to the one in particular that I do want (Third Blade), then it gives me the error. So inconvenient and annoying.

Message 5 of 11 (3,864 Views)
Master

Are the apps trying to install to the SD card? Sometimes the installation to the SD card gets stuck and the Market can't start or complete the installation. There is a TMP file in the .android_secure folder that can be deleted to clear the issue, but you have to connect the phone to computer to access the folder on the sd card.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 11 (3,845 Views)

It's a known Market bug.  Market 2.x and earlier downloaded to a location on the /data partition

Market 3.x downloads to /cache unless it's hacked to go back to /data (some of the custom ROM authors are doing this with their ROMs).  So you can have all the space in /data imaginable, if /cache doesn't have enough space the download will fail.  /cache on Samsung devices is usually around 30 MB - so what usually fails is large apps (especially a lot of games).

Market 3.x is bugridden junk...  Newer is not necessarily better.  Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 11 (3,825 Views)

I have an internal sd card, no external. Could this be a problem? The only cache i know of is the internet cache, can't find any kind of cache folder in my files.

Message 8 of 11 (3,807 Views)
Mentor

I emailed the developers of the android market. They said to go into Settings> Applications> Manage> Market. From there: clear cache, force stop, clear data, and uninstall updates.

It finally works. Smiley Happy The only downside is that you go back to the old android market. Other than that, it's all the same.
Message 9 of 11 (3,726 Views)

I force stopped, uninstalled updates, couldn't clear cache because there was no option to, and it still didnt work. This is the most frustrating thing ever.

Message 10 of 11 (3,709 Views)
Contributor

1st I would like to thank everyone for their help.

I am new to android and to the captivate, I have no real desire to modify the device at this time. But I was having the download error when I tried to download and install the software for my receiver.

I did all of the usual support routes, everyone pointed fingers at someone else.

What I found that worked for me was finding the program somewhere other than the market, download it to my PC and install it using droid explorer.  The only issue I had was that droid explorer would not install on my vista 64 PC and I had to do it from an older XP box. 

Hope this helps

Message 11 of 11 (2,487 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.