Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Samsung Captivate "Downloading... Do Not Turn Off Target" message

Samsung Captivate "Downloading... Do Not Turn Off Target" message

My gf's phone is displaying a "Downloading.... Do Not Turn Off Target" message, featuring a cute little droid that looks like he's scooping poop or sweeping or something.

Unfortunately, as cute as the graphic is, we don't want to look at it anymore.

Backstory - last night, she was listening to Slacker Radio with the phone plugged into her car charger.  She noticed that it seemed as though her phone wasn't charging anymore, and the battery was draining.  She came home, put in a backup battery, and this message popped up.  ::EDIT:: I guess she powered the phone down for a reboot before changing the battery, and that's when the message originally came up.  Don't know if this will change anything or not, but thought I should mention it.

Taking out the battery doesn't change anything.  We're stuck in this graphic.  She needs the phone for work, so if we don't have to send it off for a repair, we'd prefer not to.

I've tried taking out the battery, rebooting with the volume controls pressed in (that didn't do *anything*), and I've tried searching the internet for clues, but I can't find anything that fits. 

Please, can you help us?  And thank you!

Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Master

Re: Samsung Captivate "Downloading... Do Not Turn Off Target" message

It is called download mode. Basically the phone is waiting for your PC to push down new firmware. It is probably somehow your original firmware get corrupted or something like that. The good thing is you still have the download mode. You can hop on to XDA and download ODIN3 and stock firmware (oneclick download includes both) so that you can start flashing your phone back to stock.

Message 2 of 5

Yeah, no... it wouldn't let me do *anything* whatsoever.  Called tech support and 'droid support, they even had me try to do a hard reset, to no avail.  Nothing would get me out of that screen, it was completely frozen.  They're sending a new phone to us now.

Message 3 of 5
Master

No, you don't want to get it out of the download mode if the firmware is corrupted. Otherwise, your phone will be totally bricked. Download mode is good. You just need setup your PC side (need drivers and ODIN3) to start firmware flashing. Go to XDA forum and read up all the steps you need to perform to flash a new firmware.

Message 4 of 5
Contributor

Mine is in the same state.  Downloading...  AND ODIN3 says it is NOT in debug mode, and I cannot get to it to change that...  Any ideas?

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support