Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 23, 2010
11:08:24 PM
View profile
Samsung Captivate have Mobile Skype?

Hi,

I cannot seem to find this anywhere and it's really holding me back from purchasing this phone which I want badly. I need Skype mobile on this phone and I know the Iphones have it but does the Captivate have it as well? It is pretty much a necessity for me since my fiance calls me on that when he's on forest fires and I don't want to be stuck by the computer all night waiting. Thanks for the time.

Sandy

Hi,

I cannot seem to find this anywhere and it's really holding me back from purchasing this phone which I want badly. I need Skype mobile on this phone and I know the Iphones have it but does the Captivate have it as well? It is pretty much a necessity for me since my fiance calls me on that when he's on forest fires and I don't want to be stuck by the computer all night waiting. Thanks for the time.

Sandy

Samsung Captivate have Mobile Skype?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 12:24:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

skype is NOT on the captivate

skype is NOT on the captivate

Re: Samsung Captivate have Mobile Skype?

2 of 11 (9,760 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 4:02:02 AM
(0)
Contributor

Ah ok thanks.. I was hoping that wasn't the case. So is there any similar voice program that lets you talk for free on it without paying data or voice to, for instance, canada like skype does? If so perhaps I could get him to switch cause I still want this Captivate phone =/.

Thanks

Ah ok thanks.. I was hoping that wasn't the case. So is there any similar voice program that lets you talk for free on it without paying data or voice to, for instance, canada like skype does? If so perhaps I could get him to switch cause I still want this Captivate phone =/.

Thanks

3 of 11 (9,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 8:15:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

Will Fring install on the captivate?

Will Fring install on the captivate?

4 of 11 (9,717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 8:58:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

So to verify, before I cancel my order for the captivate there is no Skype app for the captivate phone like there is for the Iphone? 

WHen you go to the skype homepage they show skype for some of the verizon android phones, but I ssume they will not install on the captivate?

So to verify, before I cancel my order for the captivate there is no Skype app for the captivate phone like there is for the Iphone? 

WHen you go to the skype homepage they show skype for some of the verizon android phones, but I ssume they will not install on the captivate?

5 of 11 (9,704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

6 of 11 (9,690 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 5:01:52 PM
(0)
Guru
Fring is available in the market. Its pretty much the same as skype. There's also Google voice. Not sure if it would be free to Canada though.
Fring is available in the market. Its pretty much the same as skype. There's also Google voice. Not sure if it would be free to Canada though.

7 of 11 (9,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 3:28:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

I downloaded the Skype app for my captivate same day I bought it. It loaded and logged in just fine. I have yet to use it but often now when I dial a number the phone asks me if I want to use Skype to make the call. I will add more if I have any trouble using Skype with my new Samsung Captivate. One of my best friends lives in Costa Rica and that is the only way we can afford to talk is with Skype. Good Luck.

I downloaded the Skype app for my captivate same day I bought it. It loaded and logged in just fine. I have yet to use it but often now when I dial a number the phone asks me if I want to use Skype to make the call. I will add more if I have any trouble using Skype with my new Samsung Captivate. One of my best friends lives in Costa Rica and that is the only way we can afford to talk is with Skype. Good Luck.

8 of 11 (4,655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 6:59:55 AM
(0)
Master

kuau wrote:

Verizon has exclusive deal with Skype on Android phones. So you won't see Skype preloaded on anything other than Verizon phones.

I personally use Google Voice for international calls on my Captivate. It works out pretty well other than the fact it still uses your local voice air time minutes.

But with the network quality of AT&T (huge ping times), I'm not sure a pure VOIP type calling system like Skype will be a good idea anyway using Cellular connection.

kuau wrote:

Verizon has exclusive deal with Skype on Android phones. So you won't see Skype preloaded on anything other than Verizon phones.

I personally use Google Voice for international calls on my Captivate. It works out pretty well other than the fact it still uses your local voice air time minutes.

But with the network quality of AT&T (huge ping times), I'm not sure a pure VOIP type calling system like Skype will be a good idea anyway using Cellular connection.

9 of 11 (4,595 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 10:18:55 AM
(0)
Master
There is a Skype application available for all Android phones on the Google Market.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
There is a Skype application available for all Android phones on the Google Market.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

10 of 11 (4,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:44:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

Although it is only preloaded on Verizon phones, the official Skype for android app on the marketplace will work on non Verizon android phones.

Although it is only preloaded on Verizon phones, the official Skype for android app on the marketplace will work on non Verizon android phones.

11 of 11 (1,677 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments