Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 17, 2010
9:18:08 AM
View profile
Samsung Captivate has been announced!

From AT&T Facebook page:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung-captivate.jsp?status=success&_requestid=70004

No word on exact date or pricing.

Regards,

Tom

From AT&T Facebook page:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung-captivate.jsp?status=success&_requestid=70004

No word on exact date or pricing.

Regards,

Tom

Samsung Captivate has been announced!

146 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(146)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2010 8:05:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

I sure hope they will release the captivate first.  I have read anywhere from the 15th to first part of August time frame.  I too talked with the store and the guy working told me they typically only know about 1 week ahead of availability date.  I also talked with a business representative and he wasnt sure but it looked like it sounded like it was in the system with no availability date.  My wifes phone and mine are about dead, ie no battery life left.  We are well past the time we could upgrade so we could both walk without any ETF.  However we do travel internationally so our best choices would be ATT or T-mobile.  I dont really want to switch, so I am hoping we hear something soon.

I sure hope they will release the captivate first.  I have read anywhere from the 15th to first part of August time frame.  I too talked with the store and the guy working told me they typically only know about 1 week ahead of availability date.  I also talked with a business representative and he wasnt sure but it looked like it sounded like it was in the system with no availability date.  My wifes phone and mine are about dead, ie no battery life left.  We are well past the time we could upgrade so we could both walk without any ETF.  However we do travel internationally so our best choices would be ATT or T-mobile.  I dont really want to switch, so I am hoping we hear something soon.

Re: Samsung Captivate has been announced!

91 of 147 (3,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2010 8:38:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

UGG i want to see the price on this phone.  i am thinking that it is going to cost more than what i can pay right now.

so i think i will wait for the rush to be over and then go get it when they offer it for half the price which they usually end up doing.

of course then my wife will get mad because i have this nice sleek new phone and it is way better than hers. lol

UGG i want to see the price on this phone.  i am thinking that it is going to cost more than what i can pay right now.

so i think i will wait for the rush to be over and then go get it when they offer it for half the price which they usually end up doing.

of course then my wife will get mad because i have this nice sleek new phone and it is way better than hers. lol

92 of 147 (3,199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2010 4:33:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

Mystery: Everywhere i can find says its going to be $199. T-Mobile is selling theirs for that much, so surely AT&T wont want people to leave to get the t-mobile android.

Mystery: Everywhere i can find says its going to be $199. T-Mobile is selling theirs for that much, so surely AT&T wont want people to leave to get the t-mobile android.

93 of 147 (3,004 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2010 1:32:28 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by muskogee on Jul 6, 2010 at 2:19:57 PM

I really believe from what I have read online that AT&T is going to continue it slavery of their phones. I will probably get the Captivate when it comes out. I have just bought the IP4 for my wife and stepson. So in other words AT&T you will have me for another 2 years. BUT in saying that, as soon as Verizon gets their IP4 going and continue to offer more flexibility in their phones I am sure that I am going to take my 5 phones and jump ship in 2 years. Not to mention Verizon offers 18% disc for State Employees as oppose to AT&t 15%.

I really believe from what I have read online that AT&T is going to continue it slavery of their phones. I will probably get the Captivate when it comes out. I have just bought the IP4 for my wife and stepson. So in other words AT&T you will have me for another 2 years. BUT in saying that, as soon as Verizon gets their IP4 going and continue to offer more flexibility in their phones I am sure that I am going to take my 5 phones and jump ship in 2 years. Not to mention Verizon offers 18% disc for State Employees as oppose to AT&t 15%.

[ Edited ]
94 of 147 (2,734 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2010 4:49:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

Anyone else tired of waiting for the announcement on when this phone will be available?  Between all the stuff that is going on with the iPhone and not having any selection of android phones to choose from AT&T is annoying me.

Anyone else tired of waiting for the announcement on when this phone will be available?  Between all the stuff that is going on with the iPhone and not having any selection of android phones to choose from AT&T is annoying me.

95 of 147 (2,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2010 5:27:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well ATT whens this phone dropping, looks like Vibrant on T-Mobile is dropping a week early on July 15th.  High probably I am switching mine and wifes line if we dont hear any info before then on release date. 

Well ATT whens this phone dropping, looks like Vibrant on T-Mobile is dropping a week early on July 15th.  High probably I am switching mine and wifes line if we dont hear any info before then on release date. 

96 of 147 (2,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2010 6:26:43 PM
(0)
Mentor

djsmvp wrote:

Yup. It's why I made an appointment with a Verizon Rep on the 15th to get my Droid X. 

I got annoyed enough.

djsmvp wrote:

Yup. It's why I made an appointment with a Verizon Rep on the 15th to get my Droid X. 

I got annoyed enough.

97 of 147 (2,188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2010 7:15:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

Lucky you my wife still has a contract with att for right now, but this is getting annoying for sure.

there is no reason for them to keep this phone on hold when it has been announced for over a month now.

i guess they are trying to hold off the onslaught so they can say they gave apple the biggest boost they could.

of course now most people have their new i4's and this phone will not have the sales and they can say see no one wants android phones.

maybe if they gave people a choice then they would sell android phones. 

Lucky you my wife still has a contract with att for right now, but this is getting annoying for sure.

there is no reason for them to keep this phone on hold when it has been announced for over a month now.

i guess they are trying to hold off the onslaught so they can say they gave apple the biggest boost they could.

of course now most people have their new i4's and this phone will not have the sales and they can say see no one wants android phones.

maybe if they gave people a choice then they would sell android phones. 

98 of 147 (2,154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2010 7:18:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

mystery45 wrote:

according to famegadget it is suppose to be released in july, However i don't know how accurate this information is.

i stopped by the att store and they didn't have any information on it at all.

a friend of mine got the i4 i don't like the look of it.

That doesn't mean much the people in the AT&T stores are extremely uninformed.

mystery45 wrote:

according to famegadget it is suppose to be released in july, However i don't know how accurate this information is.

99 of 147 (2,150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 6:02:02 AM
(0)
Mentor

coop1974a wrote:

mystery45 wrote:

True. Which makes it frustrating for them because we come in and pester them to no end for information. It's annoying to us because we don't know anything and we know they don't know anything but we ask them anyways. 

I wouldn't be surprised if half the time they tell us something just to make us go away. 

My situation is this: my wife is on contract until 2012 and she wants my iPhone 3G. She hated the Sony Ericsson handset she had, so she got a Samsung Strive and re-upped. It's a well-made phone but she hates texting on it. She prefers touchscreen. This means she'll have to add a $15/month data plan to her contract. My contract is up tomorrow. If I stay with AT&T and get the Captivate our bill goes up $15 a month. If I go to Verizon, get a Droid X and a Google Voice number, we save $35 a month. If I go to Sprint and get the EVO 4G, we save $40 a month. Of course, I could cancel messaging on the AT&T plan and save $20 a month. But the question is, do I want to wait for the Captivate? On paper, it's better than an EVO in that it has a slightly faster processor and a better GPU, six-axis gyroscope and a very nice display. Coming from my iPhone, I like to game and the combination of the six-axis gyroscope, display, and GPU would make for pretty good combination. Against the Droid X, it's pretty close, if not better than in a few comparisons. Plus, it's not quite as bulky as the X, as far as the hump is concerned. I'm not sure I like the Samsung UI, but I am not a fan of the Motorola widgets I saw on the demo either. They just looked bland. The problem is that instead of their being one 'great' phone, there are several and spread out over various carriers. 

My next paycheck "allowance" doesn't come until next Friday so I guess I have until then to figure it out. Here's hoping that whomever mentioned the possibility of AT&T announcing the Captivate this Monday and releasing it on Sunday the 18th was right. 

coop1974a wrote:

mystery45 wrote:

True. Which makes it frustrating for them because we come in and pester them to no end for information. It's annoying to us because we don't know anything and we know they don't know anything but we ask them anyways. 

I wouldn't be surprised if half the time they tell us something just to make us go away. 

My situation is this: my wife is on contract until 2012 and she wants my iPhone 3G. She hated the Sony Ericsson handset she had, so she got a Samsung Strive and re-upped. It's a well-made phone but she hates texting on it. She prefers touchscreen. This means she'll have to add a $15/month data plan to her contract. My contract is up tomorrow. If I stay with AT&T and get the Captivate our bill goes up $15 a month. If I go to Verizon, get a Droid X and a Google Voice number, we save $35 a month. If I go to Sprint and get the EVO 4G, we save $40 a month. Of course, I could cancel messaging on the AT&T plan and save $20 a month. But the question is, do I want to wait for the Captivate? On paper, it's better than an EVO in that it has a slightly faster processor and a better GPU, six-axis gyroscope and a very nice display. Coming from my iPhone, I like to game and the combination of the six-axis gyroscope, display, and GPU would make for pretty good combination. Against the Droid X, it's pretty close, if not better than in a few comparisons. Plus, it's not quite as bulky as the X, as far as the hump is concerned. I'm not sure I like the Samsung UI, but I am not a fan of the Motorola widgets I saw on the demo either. They just looked bland. The problem is that instead of their being one 'great' phone, there are several and spread out over various carriers. 

My next paycheck "allowance" doesn't come until next Friday so I guess I have until then to figure it out. Here's hoping that whomever mentioned the possibility of AT&T announcing the Captivate this Monday and releasing it on Sunday the 18th was right. 

100 of 147 (2,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

101 of 147 (1,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 10:15:10 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Glomag on Jul 8, 2010 at 10:34:40 AM

{Post edited due to copyright infringement.  Click here for link to article}

http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-20009971-251.html

{Post edited due to copyright infringement.  Click here for link to article}

[ Edited ]
102 of 147 (1,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 11:01:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

Great.  Now WHERE will it be "available" on Sunday the 18th?  Available for order via the AT&T website?  Available on hand and ready to buy at Best Buy stores on Sunday the 18th?

Great.  Now WHERE will it be "available" on Sunday the 18th?  Available for order via the AT&T website?  Available on hand and ready to buy at Best Buy stores on Sunday the 18th?

103 of 147 (1,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 11:05:56 AM
(0)
Mentor

VooDoo61 wrote:

With the Aria, my local AT&T corp store had about 5 in stock on launch day.

-Tom

VooDoo61 wrote:

With the Aria, my local AT&T corp store had about 5 in stock on launch day.

-Tom

104 of 147 (1,324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 11:19:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

That is funny this cnet article says AT&T will be the first to sell the Galaxy S but T-Mobile just changed their launch date to July 15th yesterday ;-)

That is funny this cnet article says AT&T will be the first to sell the Galaxy S but T-Mobile just changed their launch date to July 15th yesterday ;-)

105 of 147 (1,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 1:30:15 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by skahead on Jul 8, 2010 at 1:30:46 PM

Think we will be able to uninstall the unneeded ATT software like ATT navigator etc?   

Think we will be able to uninstall the unneeded ATT software like ATT navigator etc?   

[ Edited ]
106 of 147 (1,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 2:26:29 PM
(0)
Mentor

skahead wrote:

Excellent question. Can any of the Aria owners answer that? 

skahead wrote:

Excellent question. Can any of the Aria owners answer that? 

107 of 147 (1,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 4:14:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

With the Aria it has to be rooted to uninstall the AT&T bloatware, which was done with someone putting out a rom with the crap removed.  Also I gotta say it was very tempting to take my Aria back at this news of the 18th then I remembered why I started buying htc in the first place...too many bad experiences with Samsung throughout the years.  Hopefully the Captivate is a better experience for all you who buy it than some of their phone in the past.

With the Aria it has to be rooted to uninstall the AT&T bloatware, which was done with someone putting out a rom with the crap removed.  Also I gotta say it was very tempting to take my Aria back at this news of the 18th then I remembered why I started buying htc in the first place...too many bad experiences with Samsung throughout the years.  Hopefully the Captivate is a better experience for all you who buy it than some of their phone in the past.

108 of 147 (1,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 4:41:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

$199 with contract.  Anyone want to wager a guess at what it would cost me to buy this phone without having to get into a contract?

$199 with contract.  Anyone want to wager a guess at what it would cost me to buy this phone without having to get into a contract?

posted from my Captivate.

109 of 147 (1,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 4:45:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

It will be $349 off contract according to the AT&T release that gave the 18th as the release date...

It will be $349 off contract according to the AT&T release that gave the 18th as the release date...

110 of 147 (1,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 4:52:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thank you, can you point me towards AT&T's release.  I've searched and can't find it.

Thank you, can you point me towards AT&T's release.  I've searched and can't find it.

posted from my Captivate.

111 of 147 (2,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 5:37:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

wekebu wrote:

I havnt found anything directly from att's site but this is from there facebook:http://www.facebook.com/ATT?v=wall&story_fbid=413195983908

Here are some other links:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2366221,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03069TX1K0001121&utm_source=feedburner&u...

wekebu wrote:

I havnt found anything directly from att's site but this is from there facebook:http://www.facebook.com/ATT?v=wall&story_fbid=413195983908

Here are some other links:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2366221,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03069TX1K0001121&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ziffdavis%2Fpcmag%2Fbreakingnews+%28PCMag.com+Breaking+News%29

112 of 147 (2,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 5:55:18 PM
(0)
Scholar

it is between july 15-18 so far from what i have seen but we will wait and see what really occurs.

it is between july 15-18 so far from what i have seen but we will wait and see what really occurs.

113 of 147 (2,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2010 8:09:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

sorry for the double post.

It is OFFICIAL.  the Samsung Captivate will be released on July 18 for 199.00

according to the articles the isntant rebate will be included.  i would advise checking to make sure your local store is providing it for 199 with the rebate included.

sorry for the double post.

It is OFFICIAL.  the Samsung Captivate will be released on July 18 for 199.00

according to the articles the isntant rebate will be included.  i would advise checking to make sure your local store is providing it for 199 with the rebate included.

114 of 147 (2,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2010 6:41:04 AM
(0)
Guru

The Samsung Captivate look nice! I can't wait to play with it some.

The Samsung Captivate look nice! I can't wait to play with it some.

115 of 147 (2,165 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2010 10:14:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm eligible for an upgrade on 7/23. Wonder if ATT will allow me to upgrade 5 days early? Smiley Very Happy

I'm eligible for an upgrade on 7/23. Wonder if ATT will allow me to upgrade 5 days early? Smiley Very Happy

116 of 147 (1,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2010 8:37:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

I would hope so.  I've upgraded a month or so early in the past.  Give it a try.  If not at one store, try another. Some manager will let you..

TDQuiksilver wrote:

I would hope so.  I've upgraded a month or so early in the past.  Give it a try.  If not at one store, try another. Some manager will let you..

TDQuiksilver wrote:

117 of 147 (1,842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2010 11:05:45 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am in San Jose, Ca., and went to a ATT store and inquired...the release date is this Sunday, 7/18/2010. But they had no information on the cost of the device or anything. We'll have to wait...I don't know what the big secret is. I think T-mobile Galaxy S debuts a couple of days later..7/21/2010.  All four carriers will carry a model of this Samsung device (Galaxy S )

I am in San Jose, Ca., and went to a ATT store and inquired...the release date is this Sunday, 7/18/2010. But they had no information on the cost of the device or anything. We'll have to wait...I don't know what the big secret is. I think T-mobile Galaxy S debuts a couple of days later..7/21/2010.  All four carriers will carry a model of this Samsung device (Galaxy S )

118 of 147 (1,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2010 2:11:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

^ price is $199 with upgrade and contract renewel.

^ price is $199 with upgrade and contract renewel.

119 of 147 (1,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2010 7:22:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just called my local store and they confirmed that they will be selling them on Sunday.  They open at 11am.

I just called my local store and they confirmed that they will be selling them on Sunday.  They open at 11am.

120 of 147 (1,266 Views)