Samsung Captivate email problem

Samsung Captivate email problem

I purchased a Captivate this past Sunday, and I am mostly satisfied with it.  However, there are a couple of issues with it that bother me.

First, I have 3 e-mail accounts configured on it:  sbcglobal.net, gmail, and hotmail accounts.  Whenever I receive an e-mail notification I can read them with no problem, but if I delete them, I get another notification awhile later and they are still there.  It's as if the Delete button only deletes them off my phone, but not off the the e-mail account.  If I delete an e-mail and immediately thereafter do a Refresh, the e-mail pops right back up.  Any ideas on this?

Second (and this is a relatively minor issue), the soft keys at the bottom are not very responsive.  It seems that they go to "sleep" right away and need to be tapped twice, once to wake them up and then again to execute the function.  Is there any way to improve upon this?

Message 1 of 27
GLU
Tutor

Re: Samsung Captivate email problem

The stock Android e-mail app is notoriously bad from everything I've read. On pretty much every device, people recommend finding a replacement app in the Market. I've heard good things about K9 Mail, but since my main accounts have their own app (GMail and Yahoo), I haven't tried it out.

The softkey issue is something that will hopefully be resolved with an update (maybe rolled in with FroYo).

Message 2 of 27
Explorer

My vote is for K9 Mail.  It's not perfect, but it is much much better than the stock app.  Much more customizable.  I'm using a Gmail account and an IMAP account with it, and I am verp pleased with it.

Message 3 of 27
Tutor

I just installed k-9 and it seems to be the answer for the balky email that came with the phone.  However, how does one remove the installed email, or 2nd best, delete the accounts that have been set up?

Message 4 of 27
Contributor

I bought the Captivate five days ago, and for the first four days my email, a POP account, and an office account worked fine. Then I started getting email with the headings correct, but when I clicked on the heading, i got the message: Sorry! The application Email (process com.android. email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

dumpstate_app_201007281216_com_android_email.log has been saved. Use (star)#9900# to copy out log.

This is all gobblygook to me. And unless I get some help immediately, I am going to return the phone to ATT and tell them this is completely unacceptable.

Any help would be welcomed. I have already rebooted the phone. And eliminated all data and started again.

I have seen mention of K9 mail, but how do you load it.

Message 5 of 27
Contributor

Same problem over here!

Message 6 of 27
WRR
Contributor

I just got the Captivate over the Christmas holiday.  I use my cell phone for business and heavily rely on the multi-tasking and email features.  I was previously using the Palm Pixi and absolutely loved it.  I decided to try another "Smartphone"  with a bigger screen.   I have found that on the Captivate it tends to lock up and the email notifications are never correct.  Sometimes it will not alert me at all if I have a new email other times it notifies me that there is an email when actually there is not.  Sometimes it will notify me that I have 7 new emails when I actuly do not even have one.  I am also not able to recieve emails in "real time" like I did with the Palm Pixie.  It is very important that I receive my email and respond in a timely manor.  I have gone back to the ATT store and had them look at it.  The rep told me he was sorry but that is just a problem with the Captivate.   I have a few more days to decide on another phone if I would like to choose another.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a different phone that is reliable with email and multi-tasking?  I do not care for Blackberry. 

Message 7 of 27
Scholar

I have the same issue, if I click on EMAIL I have no updated email past 1/14 and it says the same message you had. Now if I go thru applications--GMAIL, I have updated mail, but no way to respond or send email to anyone. Also my google browser is having iassues" data connectivity-page contains too many server directs" what the (word filter evasion) is all that. GeeSmiley Mad

Message 8 of 27
Professor

@Buffy, for your email concern, go to Settings>Accounts & Sync>Manage Accounts.  Select that email account that you want to sync for more than three days.  Go to Account settings>Amount to Synchronize and change it to the amount of time that you want.  HTH.

Message 9 of 27
Scholar

Just tried it, and it says "sync is experiencing difficulties, please try later" I downloaded K-9 and changed my browser to yahoo. way too much DRAMA for a phone(LOL)Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 27
Scholar

sync is back on however I find NO where were it ask you amount of time or days to sync. My gmail is still not up to date

Message 11 of 27
Professor

Buffy, I'm trying to do a screenshot.  Give me a moment.

Message 12 of 27
Scholar

thanksSmiley Wink

Message 13 of 27
Professor

OK Buffy.  Do you see these two screens below?  These should be the last two steps of what I put in my previous (x2) posting.

Phone Screenshots 20110117 002.jpg

Phone Screenshots 20110117 001.png

Message 14 of 27
Scholar

ok what I have is:

settings-accounts & sync

then it says:

bacjkground

auto sync  both of these have blank sqyares I checked green

Manage accounts

my email sync is on

my facebook sync is on

both of these account have green cirlces colored in

Message 15 of 27
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support