Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 22, 2010
9:07:00 AM
Samsung Captivate email problem

I purchased a Captivate this past Sunday, and I am mostly satisfied with it.  However, there are a couple of issues with it that bother me.

First, I have 3 e-mail accounts configured on it:  sbcglobal.net, gmail, and hotmail accounts.  Whenever I receive an e-mail notification I can read them with no problem, but if I delete them, I get another notification awhile later and they are still there.  It's as if the Delete button only deletes them off my phone, but not off the the e-mail account.  If I delete an e-mail and immediately thereafter do a Refresh, the e-mail pops right back up.  Any ideas on this?

Second (and this is a relatively minor issue), the soft keys at the bottom are not very responsive.  It seems that they go to "sleep" right away and need to be tapped twice, once to wake them up and then again to execute the function.  Is there any way to improve upon this?

I purchased a Captivate this past Sunday, and I am mostly satisfied with it.  However, there are a couple of issues with it that bother me.

First, I have 3 e-mail accounts configured on it:  sbcglobal.net, gmail, and hotmail accounts.  Whenever I receive an e-mail notification I can read them with no problem, but if I delete them, I get another notification awhile later and they are still there.  It's as if the Delete button only deletes them off my phone, but not off the the e-mail account.  If I delete an e-mail and immediately thereafter do a Refresh, the e-mail pops right back up.  Any ideas on this?

Second (and this is a relatively minor issue), the soft keys at the bottom are not very responsive.  It seems that they go to "sleep" right away and need to be tapped twice, once to wake them up and then again to execute the function.  Is there any way to improve upon this?

Samsung Captivate email problem

26 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(26)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 9:36:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

The stock Android e-mail app is notoriously bad from everything I've read. On pretty much every device, people recommend finding a replacement app in the Market. I've heard good things about K9 Mail, but since my main accounts have their own app (GMail and Yahoo), I haven't tried it out.

The softkey issue is something that will hopefully be resolved with an update (maybe rolled in with FroYo).

The stock Android e-mail app is notoriously bad from everything I've read. On pretty much every device, people recommend finding a replacement app in the Market. I've heard good things about K9 Mail, but since my main accounts have their own app (GMail and Yahoo), I haven't tried it out.

The softkey issue is something that will hopefully be resolved with an update (maybe rolled in with FroYo).

Re: Samsung Captivate email problem

2 of 27 (10,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 11:06:52 AM
(0)
Explorer

My vote is for K9 Mail.  It's not perfect, but it is much much better than the stock app.  Much more customizable.  I'm using a Gmail account and an IMAP account with it, and I am verp pleased with it.

My vote is for K9 Mail.  It's not perfect, but it is much much better than the stock app.  Much more customizable.  I'm using a Gmail account and an IMAP account with it, and I am verp pleased with it.

3 of 27 (10,040 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 10:26:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just installed k-9 and it seems to be the answer for the balky email that came with the phone.  However, how does one remove the installed email, or 2nd best, delete the accounts that have been set up?

I just installed k-9 and it seems to be the answer for the balky email that came with the phone.  However, how does one remove the installed email, or 2nd best, delete the accounts that have been set up?

4 of 27 (9,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 9:23:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

I bought the Captivate five days ago, and for the first four days my email, a POP account, and an office account worked fine. Then I started getting email with the headings correct, but when I clicked on the heading, i got the message: Sorry! The application Email (process com.android. email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

dumpstate_app_201007281216_com_android_email.log has been saved. Use (star)#9900# to copy out log.

This is all gobblygook to me. And unless I get some help immediately, I am going to return the phone to ATT and tell them this is completely unacceptable.

Any help would be welcomed. I have already rebooted the phone. And eliminated all data and started again.

I have seen mention of K9 mail, but how do you load it.

I bought the Captivate five days ago, and for the first four days my email, a POP account, and an office account worked fine. Then I started getting email with the headings correct, but when I clicked on the heading, i got the message: Sorry! The application Email (process com.android. email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

dumpstate_app_201007281216_com_android_email.log has been saved. Use (star)#9900# to copy out log.

This is all gobblygook to me. And unless I get some help immediately, I am going to return the phone to ATT and tell them this is completely unacceptable.

Any help would be welcomed. I have already rebooted the phone. And eliminated all data and started again.

I have seen mention of K9 mail, but how do you load it.

5 of 27 (9,589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2010 11:23:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same problem over here!

Same problem over here!

6 of 27 (9,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 7:21:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just got the Captivate over the Christmas holiday.  I use my cell phone for business and heavily rely on the multi-tasking and email features.  I was previously using the Palm Pixi and absolutely loved it.  I decided to try another "Smartphone"  with a bigger screen.   I have found that on the Captivate it tends to lock up and the email notifications are never correct.  Sometimes it will not alert me at all if I have a new email other times it notifies me that there is an email when actually there is not.  Sometimes it will notify me that I have 7 new emails when I actuly do not even have one.  I am also not able to recieve emails in "real time" like I did with the Palm Pixie.  It is very important that I receive my email and respond in a timely manor.  I have gone back to the ATT store and had them look at it.  The rep told me he was sorry but that is just a problem with the Captivate.   I have a few more days to decide on another phone if I would like to choose another.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a different phone that is reliable with email and multi-tasking?  I do not care for Blackberry. 

I just got the Captivate over the Christmas holiday.  I use my cell phone for business and heavily rely on the multi-tasking and email features.  I was previously using the Palm Pixi and absolutely loved it.  I decided to try another "Smartphone"  with a bigger screen.   I have found that on the Captivate it tends to lock up and the email notifications are never correct.  Sometimes it will not alert me at all if I have a new email other times it notifies me that there is an email when actually there is not.  Sometimes it will notify me that I have 7 new emails when I actuly do not even have one.  I am also not able to recieve emails in "real time" like I did with the Palm Pixie.  It is very important that I receive my email and respond in a timely manor.  I have gone back to the ATT store and had them look at it.  The rep told me he was sorry but that is just a problem with the Captivate.   I have a few more days to decide on another phone if I would like to choose another.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a different phone that is reliable with email and multi-tasking?  I do not care for Blackberry. 

7 of 27 (5,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 2:31:54 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by scoobydoo on Jan 17, 2011 at 3:55:31 PM

I have the same issue, if I click on EMAIL I have no updated email past 1/14 and it says the same message you had. Now if I go thru applications--GMAIL, I have updated mail, but no way to respond or send email to anyone. Also my google browser is having iassues" data connectivity-page contains too many server directs" what the (word filter evasion) is all that. GeeSmiley Mad

I have the same issue, if I click on EMAIL I have no updated email past 1/14 and it says the same message you had. Now if I go thru applications--GMAIL, I have updated mail, but no way to respond or send email to anyone. Also my google browser is having iassues" data connectivity-page contains too many server directs" what the (word filter evasion) is all that. GeeSmiley Mad

[ Edited ]
8 of 27 (4,993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 4:33:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

@Buffy, for your email concern, go to Settings>Accounts & Sync>Manage Accounts.  Select that email account that you want to sync for more than three days.  Go to Account settings>Amount to Synchronize and change it to the amount of time that you want.  HTH.

@Buffy, for your email concern, go to Settings>Accounts & Sync>Manage Accounts.  Select that email account that you want to sync for more than three days.  Go to Account settings>Amount to Synchronize and change it to the amount of time that you want.  HTH.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 27 (4,965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 4:37:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

Just tried it, and it says "sync is experiencing difficulties, please try later" I downloaded K-9 and changed my browser to yahoo. way too much DRAMA for a phone(LOL)Smiley Very Happy

Just tried it, and it says "sync is experiencing difficulties, please try later" I downloaded K-9 and changed my browser to yahoo. way too much DRAMA for a phone(LOL)Smiley Very Happy

10 of 27 (4,961 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 4:42:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

sync is back on however I find NO where were it ask you amount of time or days to sync. My gmail is still not up to date

sync is back on however I find NO where were it ask you amount of time or days to sync. My gmail is still not up to date

11 of 27 (2,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 6:13:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by 21stNow on Jan 17, 2011 at 6:17:26 PM

Buffy, I'm trying to do a screenshot.  Give me a moment.

Buffy, I'm trying to do a screenshot.  Give me a moment.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
12 of 27 (2,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 6:44:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

thanksSmiley Wink

thanksSmiley Wink

13 of 27 (2,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 6:45:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

OK Buffy.  Do you see these two screens below?  These should be the last two steps of what I put in my previous (x2) posting.

OK Buffy.  Do you see these two screens below?  These should be the last two steps of what I put in my previous (x2) posting.

14 of 27 (2,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 6:51:38 PM
(0)
Scholar

ok what I have is:

settings-accounts & sync

then it says:

bacjkground

auto sync  both of these have blank sqyares I checked green

Manage accounts

my email sync is on

my facebook sync is on

both of these account have green cirlces colored in

ok what I have is:

settings-accounts & sync

then it says:

bacjkground

auto sync  both of these have blank sqyares I checked green

Manage accounts

my email sync is on

my facebook sync is on

both of these account have green cirlces colored in

15 of 27 (2,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 7:05:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by 21stNow on Jan 17, 2011 at 7:05:58 PM

I should have mentioned that this is coming from a Vibrant, not a Captivate.  But I think that this part is the same. 

Did you tap the email account to bring up the first screen in my previous posting?

I should have mentioned that this is coming from a Vibrant, not a Captivate.  But I think that this part is the same. 

Did you tap the email account to bring up the first screen in my previous posting?

[ Edited ]
16 of 27 (2,062 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 7:10:51 PM
(0)
Scholar

yes, and what I saw I wrotwe down in my email...I do not see triangles anywhere

yes, and what I saw I wrotwe down in my email...I do not see triangles anywhere

17 of 27 (2,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 7:36:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I apologize for being slow with the responses.  I'm still trying to figure out screenshots!

It sounds like you are on this screen below:

If so, tap where the arrow is.  This should take you to the two screens that I posted earlier.

I apologize for being slow with the responses.  I'm still trying to figure out screenshots!

It sounds like you are on this screen below:

If so, tap where the arrow is.  This should take you to the two screens that I posted earlier.

18 of 27 (2,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 9:17:35 AM
(0)
Scholar

My screens are NOT like what your posting

One screen is:

General sync settings:

Background data

auto sync

BOTH ARE CHECKED

Manage Account

My email(google)

Facebook

Sync is on both are checked

When I click on my email account in Mgr account I see:

SYNC CONTACTS

SYNC EMAIL

SYNC CALENDAR

SYNC PICASSA WEB ALBUMS

Everyone of those is checked & sync..showing underneath each the correct date & time

My screens are NOT like what your posting

One screen is:

General sync settings:

Background data

auto sync

BOTH ARE CHECKED

Manage Account

My email(google)

Facebook

Sync is on both are checked

When I click on my email account in Mgr account I see:

SYNC CONTACTS

SYNC EMAIL

SYNC CALENDAR

SYNC PICASSA WEB ALBUMS

Everyone of those is checked & sync..showing underneath each the correct date & time

19 of 27 (2,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 9:42:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

OK.  Sorry that I could not help you with your email concern.  It's weird how the Galaxy S phones are different on something that seems like a core functionality.

OK.  Sorry that I could not help you with your email concern.  It's weird how the Galaxy S phones are different on something that seems like a core functionality.

20 of 27 (2,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 10:25:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

One more thing, have you tried the directions shown here?  The next to the last screenshot has the account settings option that I think that you need to change your settings. 

After this, I promise to stop bugging you!

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=browseTab&ps=solutionPanels&loca...

One more thing, have you tried the directions shown here?  The next to the last screenshot has the account settings option that I think that you need to change your settings. 

After this, I promise to stop bugging you!

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=browseTab&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB111741

21 of 27 (1,820 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 11:57:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

ok, I deleted my gmail account as per instructions on the link u provided. Do I try putting in my gmail account again? thanksSmiley Happy

ok, I deleted my gmail account as per instructions on the link u provided. Do I try putting in my gmail account again? thanksSmiley Happy

22 of 27 (1,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 2:05:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Yes, go ahead and add it back.  Once you get it added back, go into email>menu>accounts.  Long press on the gmail account to get another menu to pop up. Select account settings to see if the option for Amount to Synchronize is there.  Let me know what you find.

Yes, go ahead and add it back.  Once you get it added back, go into email>menu>accounts.  Long press on the gmail account to get another menu to pop up. Select account settings to see if the option for Amount to Synchronize is there.  Let me know what you find.

23 of 27 (1,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 2:51:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

eted it, then added it back. I am not sure what u mean by long press on gmail. this account is  just called email on the bottom of the phone screen, the actual gmail icon in applications worked fine, it was the email account on the first screen that never upsdated and kept getting error messgaes, hopefully its ok now.

eted it, then added it back. I am not sure what u mean by long press on gmail. this account is  just called email on the bottom of the phone screen, the actual gmail icon in applications worked fine, it was the email account on the first screen that never upsdated and kept getting error messgaes, hopefully its ok now.

24 of 27 (1,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 5:49:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I hope that everything is OK now, too. 

I would probably have to be in person and not over the Internet to show you what I mean by long pressing on GMail.  If everything works fine for you, I won't push the suggestions anymore.  If you do have any problems, maybe they can help you at the AT&T store.  Some of these things just work better when I can be hands-on with the device.

I hope that everything is OK now, too. 

I would probably have to be in person and not over the Internet to show you what I mean by long pressing on GMail.  If everything works fine for you, I won't push the suggestions anymore.  If you do have any problems, maybe they can help you at the AT&T store.  Some of these things just work better when I can be hands-on with the device.

25 of 27 (1,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 6:24:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

Trust me! the help you gave me is way more.......................then at any AT & T store...thanksSmiley Very Happy

Trust me! the help you gave me is way more.......................then at any AT & T store...thanksSmiley Very Happy

26 of 27 (1,758 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 6:38:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You're welcome!

You're welcome!

27 of 27 (1,754 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments