Samsung Captivate and Divx support

Teacher

Samsung Captivate and Divx support

So does anyone know why are phones don't play Divx files consistently?  I thought the Galaxy S device was divx certified but it is clear that there is no way my phone will play all Divx files.  Does anyone know how to fix it by any chance or am I just doing something wrong?

Message 1 of 21 (1,867 Views)
Teacher

Re: Samsung Captivate and Divx support

Yeah I have used Rockplayer too actually and it plays all my Divx.  I did notice a little stuttering on it every once in a while though, but it wasn't bad.  The big thing though is since it uses CPU and not GPU to convert the video it actually wastes about 25% more power to play a divx video.  I ran a test on it for the same exact film, just changed the codec from Xvid to Divx so that is how I came up with that number, just in case anywone was wondering Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 21 (1,174 Views)
Tutor

Can you tell me how you installed Rockplayer on your Captivate? I downloaded RP to my pc, then syncd with

Captivate and broght it over, but then got error msg: "Install Blocked...for security phone is set to block installation of apps not sourced in android mkt." Do have to root my captivate in advance of installing RP? Thanks!

Message 17 of 21 (1,098 Views)
Teacher

Yeah if your phone is not rooted you can't install apps that way.  Just go to the marketplace and search for Rockplayer and install from there.  That is the easiest way.

Message 18 of 21 (1,055 Views)
Tutor

Went to android market but didn't see Rockplayer...is it paid or free? What category?

Message 19 of 21 (1,027 Views)
Teacher

Just put "Rockplayer" in the search field you should be able to find it.  They have a free version and a paid version.  I am suprised you can't find it but I would use the search option instead of trying to find out what category it is in.  I hope that works.  I just searched for it and it is still there.

Message 20 of 21 (1,011 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for your help- I found Rockplayer using Market's Search option, then downloaded.

Message 21 of 21 (452 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.