Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 10, 2010
7:53:23 PM
View profile
Samsung Captivate and Divx support

So does anyone know why are phones don't play Divx files consistently?  I thought the Galaxy S device was divx certified but it is clear that there is no way my phone will play all Divx files.  Does anyone know how to fix it by any chance or am I just doing something wrong?

So does anyone know why are phones don't play Divx files consistently?  I thought the Galaxy S device was divx certified but it is clear that there is no way my phone will play all Divx files.  Does anyone know how to fix it by any chance or am I just doing something wrong?

Samsung Captivate and Divx support

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 2:50:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

Can you please post more details about the problems you're having?  What happens when you try to play a divx video?  What steps are you taking prior to that?

Can you please post more details about the problems you're having?  What happens when you try to play a divx video?  What steps are you taking prior to that?

Re: Samsung Captivate and Divx support

2 of 21 (1,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2010 8:06:33 AM
(0)
Teacher

So I run the Video player.  I then get a list of videos that I have on my phone then I click on the video I want to play.  Then I get the error that says "Unsupported file type."  Then I have to click okay and then the video player keeps looking for a file that it can play.  All I am doing to put the movies on the phone is taking out my SD card and putting it into a USB device and drag and drop movies to it.  It seems that movies that I made with the Divx codec, using AutoGK, don't work.  If I remake the video again using Xvid it works.  I hope that is not the reason it works because that would just be incredibly silly.

Also I have copied these same videos to the internal memory and it doesn't work either.

That is pretty much all I do.  All my movies are premade that I have made over the years from my DVD collection.  All the movies I am trying work just fine on Xbox 360 and PS3.

So I run the Video player.  I then get a list of videos that I have on my phone then I click on the video I want to play.  Then I get the error that says "Unsupported file type."  Then I have to click okay and then the video player keeps looking for a file that it can play.  All I am doing to put the movies on the phone is taking out my SD card and putting it into a USB device and drag and drop movies to it.  It seems that movies that I made with the Divx codec, using AutoGK, don't work.  If I remake the video again using Xvid it works.  I hope that is not the reason it works because that would just be incredibly silly.

Also I have copied these same videos to the internal memory and it doesn't work either.

That is pretty much all I do.  All my movies are premade that I have made over the years from my DVD collection.  All the movies I am trying work just fine on Xbox 360 and PS3.

3 of 21 (1,736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2010 8:50:27 AM
(0)
Master

Sounds like the limitation of the Divx playback capability of the phone. I've played one Divx file and it plays fine. That's all I know about Divx Smiley Happy

You probably need to re-encode all your files or ask Samsung to fix the divx codec (good luck on that one).

Sounds like the limitation of the Divx playback capability of the phone. I've played one Divx file and it plays fine. That's all I know about Divx Smiley Happy

You probably need to re-encode all your files or ask Samsung to fix the divx codec (good luck on that one).

4 of 21 (1,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2010 10:49:56 AM
(0)
Mentor

After digging around and testing on my own phone, it seems that DivX (standard definition) is not supported by the stock Video Player.  According to the specs on samsung.com, the officially supported formats are MPEG4, AAC, AAC+, H.263, H.264.  Many people report also being able to play xvid (avi) and mkv.  I, myself, was able to play xvid but not divx.

As for being DivX certified, it's not; it's actually DivX Plus HD certified.  Hence it plays mkv/h.264.  Odd that it can play divx plus HD but not standard divx.

Anyhow, your options seem to be to convert to mp4, re-encode with xvid, or get a different video player from the market with DivX support such as Rockplayer.

After digging around and testing on my own phone, it seems that DivX (standard definition) is not supported by the stock Video Player.  According to the specs on samsung.com, the officially supported formats are MPEG4, AAC, AAC+, H.263, H.264.  Many people report also being able to play xvid (avi) and mkv.  I, myself, was able to play xvid but not divx.

As for being DivX certified, it's not; it's actually DivX Plus HD certified.  Hence it plays mkv/h.264.  Odd that it can play divx plus HD but not standard divx.

Anyhow, your options seem to be to convert to mp4, re-encode with xvid, or get a different video player from the market with DivX support such as Rockplayer.

5 of 21 (1,699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2010 12:22:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

So I was digging some more, it turns out the Verizon Fascinate (Galaxy S phone) is Divx capable and talks about it on the verizon website and in their user manual.  I look at the Captivate and in fairness ATT doesn't mention Divx at ALL on the web nor in their user manual.  Looks like ATT screwed us again on a feature that we should have had but probably took out for some reason that I am sure didn't make sense.  Maybe they did it so we could have an LED flash... wait we didn't get that either Smiley Happy

Also on your comment of being Divx HD only, it shouldn't be the case as Verizon clearly states the following in their user manual

"DivX Certified® to play DivX® video up to HD 720p, including premium content."

http://www.wirelesszone.com/admin/uploads/11452192014c8f6de50ea6a.pdf

So I was digging some more, it turns out the Verizon Fascinate (Galaxy S phone) is Divx capable and talks about it on the verizon website and in their user manual.  I look at the Captivate and in fairness ATT doesn't mention Divx at ALL on the web nor in their user manual.  Looks like ATT screwed us again on a feature that we should have had but probably took out for some reason that I am sure didn't make sense.  Maybe they did it so we could have an LED flash... wait we didn't get that either Smiley Happy

Also on your comment of being Divx HD only, it shouldn't be the case as Verizon clearly states the following in their user manual

"DivX Certified® to play DivX® video up to HD 720p, including premium content."

http://www.wirelesszone.com/admin/uploads/11452192014c8f6de50ea6a.pdf

6 of 21 (1,675 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 11:51:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

Well it is almost Official, are phones are NOT Divx Certified.  I just went to the Verizon store and put in my memory card into their Fascinate, which is a Divx phone from the Samsung Galaxy S line and it played EVERY Divx file I had.  It didn't matter if it add AC3 audio or mp3.  It played Xvid too. 

I just hope the reason our phones don't do it is because of software and not hardware. 

Now i just need to call ATT and ask.

Well it is almost Official, are phones are NOT Divx Certified.  I just went to the Verizon store and put in my memory card into their Fascinate, which is a Divx phone from the Samsung Galaxy S line and it played EVERY Divx file I had.  It didn't matter if it add AC3 audio or mp3.  It played Xvid too. 

I just hope the reason our phones don't do it is because of software and not hardware. 

Now i just need to call ATT and ask.

7 of 21 (1,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 1:04:56 PM
(0)
Master

Which firmware are you running on your captivate? Facinate comes out the last in all four carrier and the Divx certification didn't happend until Captivate was released. I'd bet it is just software related.

Which firmware are you running on your captivate? Facinate comes out the last in all four carrier and the Divx certification didn't happend until Captivate was released. I'd bet it is just software related.

8 of 21 (1,599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 1:27:07 PM
(0)
Teacher

Oh I hope your are right.  i just called ATT and they gave me Samsungs number to call so I am calling them next. 

Here is my info:

Firmware version

2.1-update1

Kernel version

Build

Eclair.ucjh7

I would imagine all Captivate users have the same info

Oh I hope your are right.  i just called ATT and they gave me Samsungs number to call so I am calling them next. 

Here is my info:

Firmware version

2.1-update1

Kernel version

Build

Eclair.ucjh7

I would imagine all Captivate users have the same info

9 of 21 (1,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 2:34:58 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well I called ATT, they told me to call Samsung.  I did, I got to a Level 3 tech and talked to him.  It turns out that ATT CHOSE not to license Divx.  That is why we don't have it.  Verizon and Tmobile chose to license it so that is why they have it. 

So needless to say it most likely will never come out in a firmware upgrade or anything like that because it is a licensing issue that is why are phones aren't Divx certified. 

Boy ATT you really ticked me off this time.

Well I called ATT, they told me to call Samsung.  I did, I got to a Level 3 tech and talked to him.  It turns out that ATT CHOSE not to license Divx.  That is why we don't have it.  Verizon and Tmobile chose to license it so that is why they have it. 

So needless to say it most likely will never come out in a firmware upgrade or anything like that because it is a licensing issue that is why are phones aren't Divx certified. 

Boy ATT you really ticked me off this time.

10 of 21 (1,577 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 4:48:26 PM
(0)
Master

I call it BS. As far as I know the certification is for Galaxy S line, not specifically for individual carrier branded phones. It is possible that since AT&T is not interested in Divx playback capability that Samsung could just stop update the video codecs but I doubt it.

If you want, you can try the leaked JI6 Froyo ROM. I have it running on mine but I have no way to verify for you. I have only one DIVX file and it plays just fine even in JF6 stock ROM.

I call it BS. As far as I know the certification is for Galaxy S line, not specifically for individual carrier branded phones. It is possible that since AT&T is not interested in Divx playback capability that Samsung could just stop update the video codecs but I doubt it.

If you want, you can try the leaked JI6 Froyo ROM. I have it running on mine but I have no way to verify for you. I have only one DIVX file and it plays just fine even in JF6 stock ROM.

11 of 21 (1,237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 7:12:32 PM
(0)
Teacher

foxbat - there is a way you can test it.  Divx has short movies you can download from their website.  Download this movie and let me know if it works.  I tried it on the Captivate, it didn't, but it did work on the Verizon phone

http://www.divx.com/en/electronics/solutions/mobile/get-video

Big Buck Bunny - get the mobile version (just so we are being consistent)

Thanks!

foxbat - there is a way you can test it.  Divx has short movies you can download from their website.  Download this movie and let me know if it works.  I tried it on the Captivate, it didn't, but it did work on the Verizon phone

http://www.divx.com/en/electronics/solutions/mobile/get-video

Big Buck Bunny - get the mobile version (just so we are being consistent)

Thanks!

12 of 21 (1,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2010 3:53:35 AM
(0)
Master

Unfortunately, they didn't work for Froyo ROM either.

Unfortunately, they didn't work for Froyo ROM either.

13 of 21 (1,205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2010 8:47:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

I guess I will just need to convert all the movie files I want to play then.  I was really hoping to avoid that, but it looks like we have no choice since ATT decided not to get the Divx license at the time.

I guess I will just need to convert all the movie files I want to play then.  I was really hoping to avoid that, but it looks like we have no choice since ATT decided not to get the Divx license at the time.

14 of 21 (1,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2010 5:44:22 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am using Rockplayer on my Captivate and it plays Divx, avi etc. very well.

I am using Rockplayer on my Captivate and it plays Divx, avi etc. very well.

15 of 21 (1,153 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2010 7:55:46 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yeah I have used Rockplayer too actually and it plays all my Divx.  I did notice a little stuttering on it every once in a while though, but it wasn't bad.  The big thing though is since it uses CPU and not GPU to convert the video it actually wastes about 25% more power to play a divx video.  I ran a test on it for the same exact film, just changed the codec from Xvid to Divx so that is how I came up with that number, just in case anywone was wondering Smiley Happy

Yeah I have used Rockplayer too actually and it plays all my Divx.  I did notice a little stuttering on it every once in a while though, but it wasn't bad.  The big thing though is since it uses CPU and not GPU to convert the video it actually wastes about 25% more power to play a divx video.  I ran a test on it for the same exact film, just changed the codec from Xvid to Divx so that is how I came up with that number, just in case anywone was wondering Smiley Happy

16 of 21 (1,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2010 6:26:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

Can you tell me how you installed Rockplayer on your Captivate? I downloaded RP to my pc, then syncd with

Captivate and broght it over, but then got error msg: "Install Blocked...for security phone is set to block installation of apps not sourced in android mkt." Do have to root my captivate in advance of installing RP? Thanks!

Can you tell me how you installed Rockplayer on your Captivate? I downloaded RP to my pc, then syncd with

Captivate and broght it over, but then got error msg: "Install Blocked...for security phone is set to block installation of apps not sourced in android mkt." Do have to root my captivate in advance of installing RP? Thanks!

17 of 21 (1,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2010 8:55:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yeah if your phone is not rooted you can't install apps that way.  Just go to the marketplace and search for Rockplayer and install from there.  That is the easiest way.

Yeah if your phone is not rooted you can't install apps that way.  Just go to the marketplace and search for Rockplayer and install from there.  That is the easiest way.

18 of 21 (1,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2010 1:26:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

Went to android market but didn't see Rockplayer...is it paid or free? What category?

Went to android market but didn't see Rockplayer...is it paid or free? What category?

19 of 21 (995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2010 2:37:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

Just put "Rockplayer" in the search field you should be able to find it.  They have a free version and a paid version.  I am suprised you can't find it but I would use the search option instead of trying to find out what category it is in.  I hope that works.  I just searched for it and it is still there.

Just put "Rockplayer" in the search field you should be able to find it.  They have a free version and a paid version.  I am suprised you can't find it but I would use the search option instead of trying to find out what category it is in.  I hope that works.  I just searched for it and it is still there.

20 of 21 (979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2010 8:55:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for your help- I found Rockplayer using Market's Search option, then downloaded.

Thanks for your help- I found Rockplayer using Market's Search option, then downloaded.

21 of 21 (420 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments