Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Samsung Captivate WiFi DHCP netmask issue

Teacher

Samsung Captivate WiFi DHCP netmask issue

So I tried to report this bug to samsung, but all they did was reply with a link to teh bada developers site, so Im not really sure how to submit it.  Im posting this here in teh hopes that someone can direct me the proper channels.

Anyway, here's the issue:

When aquiring a wifi network address, the setwork stack seems to use the default class A network mask instead of the DHCP supplied mask.  For instance, Im on the 10.10.10.x network at work, and DHCP supplies a mask of 255.255.255.0.  When I check net status, the mask has defaulted to 255.0.0.0.  This causes problems for me since my DNS is on a different subnet.  When I statically address my phone, everything works as it should.  Its not an android issue since my buddy has a droid running 2.1 update 1 (same as I am) and his phone works fine.

Thanks for listening - and any info you can offer...

Message 1 of 34
Teacher

Re: Samsung Captivate WiFi DHCP netmask issue

I'd try to give samsung tech support a call.

I had an issue with the phone not properly trusting a godaddy certificate in the browser when it was trusted in IE and firefox fine.

AT&T support was clueless and they directed me to call samsung directly.

They were able to escalate my issue to tier 3 support and get it resolved over the phone.

Message 2 of 34
Contributor

Have you tried calling Samsung support?  Worst support by far I have received in a long time, and the wait times are crazy long.  Their only solution so far has been to wipe my phone.  Really?  wipe the phone?  This is not  Windows 95, where I when crazy deleting registry entries.  When phone gets an IP, but the browser does not connect (HTTP page display accept terms of use at say Starbuck wifi) does not show up, sounds like ATT blocking free/non-ATT wifi to me.

Message 3 of 34
Contributor

I have a Samsung Vibrant on T-mobile which is another version of the Samsung Galaxy S platform. It has the same issue you report. In my case it is a class B network, and it ignores the subnet mask.

Have you found a solution?

Message 4 of 34
Contributor

Same issue here - system information reports a /24 mask, but the captivate (on 10.1.2.0/24) cannot communicate with 10.1.1.0/24.  Pings error, indicating that ARP requests are not being fulfilled.  Definitely a problem with the subnet mask.

Message 5 of 34
Teacher

Glad to hear (well, not really) that Im not the only one experiencing this.  Repeated emails and chat conversations fall on deaf ears.  I was directed to call level 2 support, however I just dont have the time or inclination to bother at this point.

The only solution is to statically assign the IP address when Im on my employers network.  I have a shortcut to the WiFi settings, and I click menu > advanced and toggle the "static IP" check box bepending on my location.  I can deal with this until they roll out a fix.

Message 6 of 34
Contributor

FIX that works with DHCP...Re: Samsung Captivate WiFi DHCP netmask issue

I have a working solution...modify the routing table with a more specific route.  My Captivate is has connectbot and has been rooted (Superuser Permissions is a  application).  This lets me modify the routing table with the "iproute" command.  With my wireless network being 10.1.2.0/24 (255.255.255.0) and my wired network being 10.1.1.0/24 (255.255.255.0), and DHCP giving my Captivate an IP address of 10.1.2.24 with a mack of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 10.1.2.1, running iproute in connectbot to localhost (after running su and granting superuser permissions), the output is:

#iproute

10.1.2.0/24 dev eth0 src 10.1.2.24

10.0.0.0/8 dev eth0 src 10.1.2.24

default via 10.1.2.1 dev eth0

#

The second route is the issue - it is the all encompassing classful route for 10.0.0.0/8.  This  is forcing the Captivate to ARP and not route the traffic through the gateway 10.1.2.1.    So you can either ADD a route for the MORE specific class C network (for a single network fix) or DELETE the 10.0.0.0/8 route:

# iproute add 10.1.1.0/24 via 10.1.2.1

OR

# iproute del 10.0.0.0/8

Either fixed the problem, at least until I disabled and re-enabled the Wifi again.

Mike

Message 7 of 34
Teacher

Re: FIX that works with DHCP...Re: Samsung Captivate WiFi DHCP netmask issue

Youre right.  Something seems to be adding the 10.0.0.0/8 route to the routing table.  Ive done a fair bit of searching but I cannot find whats adding it.  Anyone know how to add the iproute delete statement to a network script?

Message 8 of 34
Contributor

I've have the same issue...can't connect to WIFI with a non-class subnet (CIDR) mask! It works fine with clasfull subnet.

Message 9 of 34
Contributor

Called Samsung tech support and I have open a ticket with them, ATT said that they don't support wireless issues...on their phones! I will keep postings. I'm gonna to call Samsung in the next week again.

Message 10 of 34
Contributor

One more update. I have configured my home wireless network to 255.255.255.248 subnet and it works great with Samsung Captivate. I have here the Linksys WRT54GS with DD-WRT frimware, at work we have a wireless based on Cisco amd ARUBA radio and it is not working.

Message 11 of 34
Master

Have you guys tried the leaked Beta JH2 or JH3 firmware to see if it fixed your wi-fi subnet mask issue? I have JH3 installed but don't have such wireless network to test. My workplace uses Cisco VPN to secure the wi-fi access.

What is the tool to check the actual subnet mask on the phone?

Message 12 of 34
Master

So I downloaded NetworkInfo app and tried it on my home wifi network which has typical 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. NetworkInfo showed my phone's subnet mask is the same 255.255.255.0. So I think the latest JH3 firmware definitely has the fix for wi-fi issue. You just have to wait for next firmware release to get it.

Message 13 of 34
Contributor

I have a Captivate.. any tool I use always shows the netmask as 255.255.255.0, but when I log into the phone via adb it shows the netmask as 255.0.0.0 at the route level.. posted details on xda-developers, but haven't heard anything back there either:

http://ip208-100-42-21.static.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=7521203

So foxbat, if you are seeing it as /24 via NetworkInfo, it doesn't mean anything..  ;(

Message 14 of 34
Master

Unfortunately, ipconfig command is not available in my abd shell session.

Message 15 of 34
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support