Samsung Captivate Shutdown Issue

Mentor

Samsung Captivate Shutdown Issue

Yesterday, I tried to awake my phone from sleep and nothing! Just the black screen. I plugged the charger in and still nothing, just a black screen. Hitting the power button did nothing. The only solution I had was to take the battery out. It powered up ok once doing that. I had 39% battery life left when the phone came back up. I have had the phone for 2 weeks and never had a problem (other than the GPS issue the is common on the Captivate).  It is a standard stock phone.

Anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be?

Message 1 of 123
Master

Re: Samsung Captivate Shutdown Issue

So if this issue really seems to be this bad, would you recommend purchasing the Captivate? It should be able to last me a year-and-a-half or longer...

I am really interested in this, but this issue makes me a little bit cautious to buy it and have it conk out on me - $300 down the drain.

Thanks.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 91 of 123
Contributor

My family recently renews the two year contract and got 3 refurbished captivates.  Only mine had the random shutdown issue.  Recently I got it replaced at a Device Service Center.  The first thing I did with the new device was let it go idle for a while and check to see if it shutdown.  Samsung has already addressed the issue and if you are able to exchange a bad unit for another one tha does not self shutdown, then I'd do it.  Before I had the unit exchanged I did a test with my phone with the shutdown issue and my wife's phone which didn't have a shutdown issue to see the effect of Captivate Keep Alive on Battery life.  Both phones had 100% at midnight and i locked the screens and left them alone, around  8 am i checked both phones, my wife's had 97%, mine had 74%.  I did the test again, but this time I also installed Captivate Keep alive on my wife's phone as well.  the second run, my phone had 73%, my wife's phone had 74%.  So in short, the inability for the captivate to go to deep sleep has a significant impact on battery life.  Go to a DS as soon as you can and get a replacement while you are still under warranty.

Message 92 of 123

If you buy this phone knowing how many people have problems with it you will deserve what you get.  Trust me, I'm on my 3rd Captivate and it's not fixed.  

Message 93 of 123
Contributor

This problem is incredibly upsetting, I missed an important thing this morning because my phone had turned off in the night, so the alarm didn't go off.  This is only the second time that it has turned off randomly that I have noticed.  I have read the more recent pages of reviews and seen that if you have the phone for more than 30 days the only real fix is to get the phone exchanged, or try the keep alive app.  I'll try the app because the exchange seems to be a waste of time if there is still a possibility that the new phone (if manufactured before Nov. 6) could have the same problem.

However, because my phone is now useless to me as an alarm and because at this point I could care less about the big screen/cool features (all I want is for it to be reliable and fast) --Is there any way to just switch to another phone entirely, one that isn't a samsung?  I'm afraid to trust this phone now, it could possibly turn off and I couldn't be contacted in an emergency, or screw me over with the alarm thing again (I guess I'm going to buy a normal alarm clock, which makes me lose all of the convenience of using a phone as an alarm Smiley Mad.....)

Main point; Is it worth the battery drain to use the keep alive app, or should I try to exchange it and hope the new one works?

Is it possible for me to switch to another phone brand entirely so I don't have to waste more time on this issue? (switching brands would be preferable to me now, because I'm paranoid and angry about my unreliable phone)

Message 94 of 123
Master

If you've had the phone for less than thirty days, then you may exchange the phone for a different branded device. You would just have to go to the store where you originally got it from and ask for an exchange.

If you've had the phone (under contract) for longer than thirty days, you have no choice but to get it exchanged with another Captivate.

Is this phone really that bad? I have and still do want one, but I may just get another Mythic if this one is going to be problematic...

I hope I could be of help.

Message 95 of 123
Contributor

Yes that was helpful, now I know that I can't get out of using this type of phone even though it is defective.  So since the manufacturer has supposedly fixed the problem for the phones manufactured after November 6, 

How can I make sure that the replacement that I get is one of the new, fixed ones?

(one that was not manufactured before November 6, 2010: I [personal content edited]

Message 96 of 123
Master

violet25 wrote:

Yes that was helpful, now I know that I can't get out of using this type of phone even though it is defective.  So since the manufacturer has supposedly fixed the problem for the phones manufactured after November 6, 

How can I make sure that the replacement that I get is one of the new, fixed ones?

(one that was not manufactured before November 6, 2010: I [personal content edited]

I guess the only way to completely make sure that it was manufactured past the fixed date is to specifically ask for one that was. If the AT&T sales rep. is unsure about the approximate date, I think that there's a way to determine the exact date by running the phone's IMEI number through a computer or scanner, etc.

Message 97 of 123
Contributor

I saw ont he web one of the notices sent out to AT&T support that indicated the range of IMEI numbers that could potentially exhibit this problem.  Comparing against that list would probably be the best way to make sure your new phone doesn't do it.  My replacement captivate does not have the problem.  I went to an AT&T Device Support Center to do the exchange, the reps there are technicians and are aware of the captivate shutdown issue, and are more competent than their telephone counterparts IMHO.

Message 98 of 123
Contributor

Thanks for these posting. 

As a business person, it is very important to provide “consistent – accurate feedback” about performance issues.  This is the only way a firm such as AT&T and Samsung can recognize that they have a problem in the field that did not get detected prior to product launch.  But as a consumer, this is very basis functionality and critical to get correct right-out-of-the-box the first time!

Yes, this issue still exists, but AT&T Phone Support now recognizes this as an issue based on my call yesterday with them.

I purchased my phone on Jan 12, 2011, directly from the AT&T site.  Based on postings, my Samsung device should have been a new build which would avoid all this issues.  But I started having similar symptoms as posted above.

First couple of weeks, phone worked fine, with no issues as previously reported - including those off topic GPS, and USB door Smiley Wink items.  About 2-weeks after purchase the phone turned off & I thought it was my mistake somehow.

Last week the shutdown issue started to happen more often, several times a day.  No real pattern to the sudden shutdown: battery fully charged, partial charged, connected to charger, connected to USB port, device inside my jacket pocket, or just sitting on the desk. I’d go to use the phone, and it would be off.

AT&T store thought it was a battery issue, but didn’t have any in stock.  I called AT&T Phone Support, and was told this is a known issue, and was solved by an upgrade release that should be applied OTA.  Here are the steps I was provided and hope that you will find this information helpful.

From device Home screen, press Settings, scroll down and select Software Update.  Press Software Update, press OK, follow any prompts.  For me, the phone stated I was already up-to-date.

Next step AT&T Phone support provide was a Samsung link to update my device:  http://www.samsung.com/us/captivate/softwareupdate

This Samsung site shows the OTA process.  But scrolling down the page also provides this notice: Quote: “If you have not received the software update over the air, we offer Kies Mini as an alternative to get the update.  For more information regarding Kies Mini such as how to obtain it or use it, please click this link”  click this link.  

(I don’t want to go off topic and discuss Samsung Kies, vs having no native android support for synching Outlook contacts, schedules, etc., so will limit my comments to the device firmware update process.)

Following the AT&T Phone Support advice, I downloaded and ran the Kies Mini exe file on my 32-bit (doesn’t support 64-bit) Windows PC.  After loading the application, there is a Kies Mini feature to provide a device Firmware upgrade.  However – Kies & phone stated I was up-to-date.

Neither of these procedures solved my specific phone issue, but they may work for you.

Lucky I was within 30 days of my purchase, so AT&T is sending me a new Captivate device – to be shipped next day service. I have yet to receive the device.  But I’m hopeful that a new phone will solve this sudden power off situation.

Message 99 of 123
Tutor

I just got off the phone with AT&T as my phone has been shutting down more frequently.  The rep told me this is a known issue and they would be sending me a replacement and the phones from the manufacture.  I did ask her if this is a known issue whey did they send me this phone as a replacement phone only a short time ago.  She told me all the phone coming from the manufacturer now should not be having this issue.  Yeah I believe her.  I like Android but I am wishing I had purchased an iphone. 

Message 100 of 123
Contributor

Note: When you go to exchange the phone at the att store, if you have a zagg cover that came complimentary with your phone, you have to register it at the zagg.com site so they can send you a new protective screen. I unfortunately didn't know this and had to buy a new one for $21. I'll write here if my new captivate has any of the issues.

Message 101 of 123
Highlighted

Is anyone else having problems with att tech support telling you nothing but lies? They tell me they will call me back, it is in their data base and someone will be calling me but I never get a call. I never get the credits they keep promising me. One manager even told me there is a form to fill out about having so many problems with the same phone and he can get me a different one, that never happened. Its very stupid for a manager to lie to you when you have his name and the other att employees can see that you did talk to me because it is documented and Mr. Haney can not delete that information. I will be spending every phone call I make to att to get this guy fired!!!

Message 102 of 123
Contributor

I had the same issue with my phone. The easiest thing to do is download following app .. "Captivate Keep Alive".

This fixed all my shutdown issues, thought it does eat up battery life quick as it does not let the phone go to sleep.

Anyway that's much better than having the phone turn off every few minutes.

Hope this helps.

Message 103 of 123
Teacher

Sounds like the random shutdown problem.  The other "common problem" with this phone.  It'll only get worse so you should get an exchange and be sure they give you a new unit, not a refurb, because a lot of people get exchanges units and they have the same problem, from what I understand.

Message 104 of 123
Tutor

I used the keep alive and it worked.  I set the phone at 90%, so it didn't eat up too much battery.  I did go to the ATT store a week ago, and the rep there echanged my SIM card for a new one.  It hasn't shut down since.  Just in case, I have the phone set to forward calls to my landline if the phone is off.  But so far, so good.  I'm hoping for the best, but if it happens again, I'll send the phone back for a replacement if they can assure me that they'll send one made after Nov. 2010.  I should have done it when I got it within the 30 day period. I love the phone, and want it to work out.

Message 105 of 123
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support