Wireless Forums

Posted Aug 16, 2010
8:18:45 AM
View profile
Samsung Captivate Shutdown Issue

Yesterday, I tried to awake my phone from sleep and nothing! Just the black screen. I plugged the charger in and still nothing, just a black screen. Hitting the power button did nothing. The only solution I had was to take the battery out. It powered up ok once doing that. I had 39% battery life left when the phone came back up. I have had the phone for 2 weeks and never had a problem (other than the GPS issue the is common on the Captivate).  It is a standard stock phone.

Anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be?

122 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(122)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 3:23:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
So if this issue really seems to be this bad, would you recommend purchasing the Captivate? It should be able to last me a year-and-a-half or longer...

I am really interested in this, but this issue makes me a little bit cautious to buy it and have it conk out on me - $300 down the drain.

Thanks.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

So if this issue really seems to be this bad, would you recommend purchasing the Captivate? It should be able to last me a year-and-a-half or longer...

I am really interested in this, but this issue makes me a little bit cautious to buy it and have it conk out on me - $300 down the drain.

Thanks.

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Samsung Captivate Shutdown Issue

91 of 123 (3,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2011 12:52:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

My family recently renews the two year contract and got 3 refurbished captivates.  Only mine had the random shutdown issue.  Recently I got it replaced at a Device Service Center.  The first thing I did with the new device was let it go idle for a while and check to see if it shutdown.  Samsung has already addressed the issue and if you are able to exchange a bad unit for another one tha does not self shutdown, then I'd do it.  Before I had the unit exchanged I did a test with my phone with the shutdown issue and my wife's phone which didn't have a shutdown issue to see the effect of Captivate Keep Alive on Battery life.  Both phones had 100% at midnight and i locked the screens and left them alone, around  8 am i checked both phones, my wife's had 97%, mine had 74%.  I did the test again, but this time I also installed Captivate Keep alive on my wife's phone as well.  the second run, my phone had 73%, my wife's phone had 74%.  So in short, the inability for the captivate to go to deep sleep has a significant impact on battery life.  Go to a DS as soon as you can and get a replacement while you are still under warranty.

My family recently renews the two year contract and got 3 refurbished captivates.  Only mine had the random shutdown issue.  Recently I got it replaced at a Device Service Center.  The first thing I did with the new device was let it go idle for a while and check to see if it shutdown.  Samsung has already addressed the issue and if you are able to exchange a bad unit for another one tha does not self shutdown, then I'd do it.  Before I had the unit exchanged I did a test with my phone with the shutdown issue and my wife's phone which didn't have a shutdown issue to see the effect of Captivate Keep Alive on Battery life.  Both phones had 100% at midnight and i locked the screens and left them alone, around  8 am i checked both phones, my wife's had 97%, mine had 74%.  I did the test again, but this time I also installed Captivate Keep alive on my wife's phone as well.  the second run, my phone had 73%, my wife's phone had 74%.  So in short, the inability for the captivate to go to deep sleep has a significant impact on battery life.  Go to a DS as soon as you can and get a replacement while you are still under warranty.

92 of 123 (3,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2011 9:28:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

If you buy this phone knowing how many people have problems with it you will deserve what you get.  Trust me, I'm on my 3rd Captivate and it's not fixed.  

If you buy this phone knowing how many people have problems with it you will deserve what you get.  Trust me, I'm on my 3rd Captivate and it's not fixed.  

93 of 123 (3,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2011 12:04:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

This problem is incredibly upsetting, I missed an important thing this morning because my phone had turned off in the night, so the alarm didn't go off.  This is only the second time that it has turned off randomly that I have noticed.  I have read the more recent pages of reviews and seen that if you have the phone for more than 30 days the only real fix is to get the phone exchanged, or try the keep alive app.  I'll try the app because the exchange seems to be a waste of time if there is still a possibility that the new phone (if manufactured before Nov. 6) could have the same problem.

However, because my phone is now useless to me as an alarm and because at this point I could care less about the big screen/cool features (all I want is for it to be reliable and fast) --Is there any way to just switch to another phone entirely, one that isn't a samsung?  I'm afraid to trust this phone now, it could possibly turn off and I couldn't be contacted in an emergency, or screw me over with the alarm thing again (I guess I'm going to buy a normal alarm clock, which makes me lose all of the convenience of using a phone as an alarm :smileymad:.....)

Main point; Is it worth the battery drain to use the keep alive app, or should I try to exchange it and hope the new one works?

Is it possible for me to switch to another phone brand entirely so I don't have to waste more time on this issue? (switching brands would be preferable to me now, because I'm paranoid and angry about my unreliable phone)

This problem is incredibly upsetting, I missed an important thing this morning because my phone had turned off in the night, so the alarm didn't go off.  This is only the second time that it has turned off randomly that I have noticed.  I have read the more recent pages of reviews and seen that if you have the phone for more than 30 days the only real fix is to get the phone exchanged, or try the keep alive app.  I'll try the app because the exchange seems to be a waste of time if there is still a possibility that the new phone (if manufactured before Nov. 6) could have the same problem.

However, because my phone is now useless to me as an alarm and because at this point I could care less about the big screen/cool features (all I want is for it to be reliable and fast) --Is there any way to just switch to another phone entirely, one that isn't a samsung?  I'm afraid to trust this phone now, it could possibly turn off and I couldn't be contacted in an emergency, or screw me over with the alarm thing again (I guess I'm going to buy a normal alarm clock, which makes me lose all of the convenience of using a phone as an alarm :smileymad:.....)

Main point; Is it worth the battery drain to use the keep alive app, or should I try to exchange it and hope the new one works?

Is it possible for me to switch to another phone brand entirely so I don't have to waste more time on this issue? (switching brands would be preferable to me now, because I'm paranoid and angry about my unreliable phone)

94 of 123 (2,871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2011 9:04:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
If you've had the phone for less than thirty days, then you may exchange the phone for a different branded device. You would just have to go to the store where you originally got it from and ask for an exchange.

If you've had the phone (under contract) for longer than thirty days, you have no choice but to get it exchanged with another Captivate.

Is this phone really that bad? I have and still do want one, but I may just get another Mythic if this one is going to be problematic...

I hope I could be of help.

If you've had the phone for less than thirty days, then you may exchange the phone for a different branded device. You would just have to go to the store where you originally got it from and ask for an exchange.

If you've had the phone (under contract) for longer than thirty days, you have no choice but to get it exchanged with another Captivate.

Is this phone really that bad? I have and still do want one, but I may just get another Mythic if this one is going to be problematic...

I hope I could be of help.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

95 of 123 (2,849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2011 5:49:33 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by scoobydoo on Feb 6, 2011 at 6:50:24 PM

Yes that was helpful, now I know that I can't get out of using this type of phone even though it is defective.  So since the manufacturer has supposedly fixed the problem for the phones manufactured after November 6, 

How can I make sure that the replacement that I get is one of the new, fixed ones?

(one that was not manufactured before November 6, 2010: I [personal content edited]

Yes that was helpful, now I know that I can't get out of using this type of phone even though it is defective.  So since the manufacturer has supposedly fixed the problem for the phones manufactured after November 6, 

How can I make sure that the replacement that I get is one of the new, fixed ones?

(one that was not manufactured before November 6, 2010: I [personal content edited]

[ Edited ]
96 of 123 (2,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2011 7:09:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

violet25 wrote:

I guess the only way to completely make sure that it was manufactured past the fixed date is to specifically ask for one that was. If the AT&T sales rep. is unsure about the approximate date, I think that there's a way to determine the exact date by running the phone's IMEI number through a computer or scanner, etc.

violet25 wrote:

I guess the only way to completely make sure that it was manufactured past the fixed date is to specifically ask for one that was. If the AT&T sales rep. is unsure about the approximate date, I think that there's a way to determine the exact date by running the phone's IMEI number through a computer or scanner, etc.

97 of 123 (2,804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2011 11:47:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

I saw ont he web one of the notices sent out to AT&T support that indicated the range of IMEI numbers that could potentially exhibit this problem.  Comparing against that list would probably be the best way to make sure your new phone doesn't do it.  My replacement captivate does not have the problem.  I went to an AT&T Device Support Center to do the exchange, the reps there are technicians and are aware of the captivate shutdown issue, and are more competent than their telephone counterparts IMHO.

I saw ont he web one of the notices sent out to AT&T support that indicated the range of IMEI numbers that could potentially exhibit this problem.  Comparing against that list would probably be the best way to make sure your new phone doesn't do it.  My replacement captivate does not have the problem.  I went to an AT&T Device Support Center to do the exchange, the reps there are technicians and are aware of the captivate shutdown issue, and are more competent than their telephone counterparts IMHO.

98 of 123 (2,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 11:53:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for these posting. 

As a business person, it is very important to provide “consistent – accurate feedback” about performance issues.  This is the only way a firm such as AT&T and Samsung can recognize that they have a problem in the field that did not get detected prior to product launch.  But as a consumer, this is very basis functionality and critical to get correct right-out-of-the-box the first time!

Yes, this issue still exists, but AT&T Phone Support now recognizes this as an issue based on my call yesterday with them.

I purchased my phone on Jan 12, 2011, directly from the AT&T site.  Based on postings, my Samsung device should have been a new build which would avoid all this issues.  But I started having similar symptoms as posted above.

First couple of weeks, phone worked fine, with no issues as previously reported - including those off topic GPS, and USB door :smileywink: items.  About 2-weeks after purchase the phone turned off & I thought it was my mistake somehow.

Last week the shutdown issue started to happen more often, several times a day.  No real pattern to the sudden shutdown: battery fully charged, partial charged, connected to charger, connected to USB port, device inside my jacket pocket, or just sitting on the desk. I’d go to use the phone, and it would be off.

AT&T store thought it was a battery issue, but didn’t have any in stock.  I called AT&T Phone Support, and was told this is a known issue, and was solved by an upgrade release that should be applied OTA.  Here are the steps I was provided and hope that you will find this information helpful.

From device Home screen, press Settings, scroll down and select Software Update.  Press Software Update, press OK, follow any prompts.  For me, the phone stated I was already up-to-date.

Next step AT&T Phone support provide was a Samsung link to update my device:  http://www.samsung.com/us/captivate/softwareupdate

This Samsung site shows the OTA process.  But scrolling down the page also provides this notice: Quote: “If you have not received the software update over the air, we offer Kies Mini as an alternative to get the update.  For more information regarding Kies Mini such as how to obtain it or use it, please click this link”  click this link.  

(I don’t want to go off topic and discuss Samsung Kies, vs having no native android support for synching Outlook contacts, schedules, etc., so will limit my comments to the device firmware update process.)

Following the AT&T Phone Support advice, I downloaded and ran the Kies Mini exe file on my 32-bit (doesn’t support 64-bit) Windows PC.  After loading the application, there is a Kies Mini feature to provide a device Firmware upgrade.  However – Kies & phone stated I was up-to-date.

Neither of these procedures solved my specific phone issue, but they may work for you.

Lucky I was within 30 days of my purchase, so AT&T is sending me a new Captivate device – to be shipped next day service. I have yet to receive the device.  But I’m hopeful that a new phone will solve this sudden power off situation.

Thanks for these posting. 

As a business person, it is very important to provide “consistent – accurate feedback” about performance issues.  This is the only way a firm such as AT&T and Samsung can recognize that they have a problem in the field that did not get detected prior to product launch.  But as a consumer, this is very basis functionality and critical to get correct right-out-of-the-box the first time!

Yes, this issue still exists, but AT&T Phone Support now recognizes this as an issue based on my call yesterday with them.

I purchased my phone on Jan 12, 2011, directly from the AT&T site.  Based on postings, my Samsung device should have been a new build which would avoid all this issues.  But I started having similar symptoms as posted above.

First couple of weeks, phone worked fine, with no issues as previously reported - including those off topic GPS, and USB door :smileywink: items.  About 2-weeks after purchase the phone turned off & I thought it was my mistake somehow.

Last week the shutdown issue started to happen more often, several times a day.  No real pattern to the sudden shutdown: battery fully charged, partial charged, connected to charger, connected to USB port, device inside my jacket pocket, or just sitting on the desk. I’d go to use the phone, and it would be off.

AT&T store thought it was a battery issue, but didn’t have any in stock.  I called AT&T Phone Support, and was told this is a known issue, and was solved by an upgrade release that should be applied OTA.  Here are the steps I was provided and hope that you will find this information helpful.

From device Home screen, press Settings, scroll down and select Software Update.  Press Software Update, press OK, follow any prompts.  For me, the phone stated I was already up-to-date.

Next step AT&T Phone support provide was a Samsung link to update my device:  http://www.samsung.com/us/captivate/softwareupdate

This Samsung site shows the OTA process.  But scrolling down the page also provides this notice: Quote: “If you have not received the software update over the air, we offer Kies Mini as an alternative to get the update.  For more information regarding Kies Mini such as how to obtain it or use it, please click this link”  click this link.  

(I don’t want to go off topic and discuss Samsung Kies, vs having no native android support for synching Outlook contacts, schedules, etc., so will limit my comments to the device firmware update process.)

Following the AT&T Phone Support advice, I downloaded and ran the Kies Mini exe file on my 32-bit (doesn’t support 64-bit) Windows PC.  After loading the application, there is a Kies Mini feature to provide a device Firmware upgrade.  However – Kies & phone stated I was up-to-date.

Neither of these procedures solved my specific phone issue, but they may work for you.

Lucky I was within 30 days of my purchase, so AT&T is sending me a new Captivate device – to be shipped next day service. I have yet to receive the device.  But I’m hopeful that a new phone will solve this sudden power off situation.

99 of 123 (2,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 2:39:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just got off the phone with AT&T as my phone has been shutting down more frequently.  The rep told me this is a known issue and they would be sending me a replacement and the phones from the manufacture.  I did ask her if this is a known issue whey did they send me this phone as a replacement phone only a short time ago.  She told me all the phone coming from the manufacturer now should not be having this issue.  Yeah I believe her.  I like Android but I am wishing I had purchased an iphone. 

I just got off the phone with AT&T as my phone has been shutting down more frequently.  The rep told me this is a known issue and they would be sending me a replacement and the phones from the manufacture.  I did ask her if this is a known issue whey did they send me this phone as a replacement phone only a short time ago.  She told me all the phone coming from the manufacturer now should not be having this issue.  Yeah I believe her.  I like Android but I am wishing I had purchased an iphone. 

100 of 123 (2,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2011 8:31:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

Note: When you go to exchange the phone at the att store, if you have a zagg cover that came complimentary with your phone, you have to register it at the zagg.com site so they can send you a new protective screen. I unfortunately didn't know this and had to buy a new one for $21. I'll write here if my new captivate has any of the issues.

Note: When you go to exchange the phone at the att store, if you have a zagg cover that came complimentary with your phone, you have to register it at the zagg.com site so they can send you a new protective screen. I unfortunately didn't know this and had to buy a new one for $21. I'll write here if my new captivate has any of the issues.

101 of 123 (3,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 7:44:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

Is anyone else having problems with att tech support telling you nothing but lies? They tell me they will call me back, it is in their data base and someone will be calling me but I never get a call. I never get the credits they keep promising me. One manager even told me there is a form to fill out about having so many problems with the same phone and he can get me a different one, that never happened. Its very stupid for a manager to lie to you when you have his name and the other att employees can see that you did talk to me because it is documented and Mr. Haney can not delete that information. I will be spending every phone call I make to att to get this guy fired!!!

Is anyone else having problems with att tech support telling you nothing but lies? They tell me they will call me back, it is in their data base and someone will be calling me but I never get a call. I never get the credits they keep promising me. One manager even told me there is a form to fill out about having so many problems with the same phone and he can get me a different one, that never happened. Its very stupid for a manager to lie to you when you have his name and the other att employees can see that you did talk to me because it is documented and Mr. Haney can not delete that information. I will be spending every phone call I make to att to get this guy fired!!!

102 of 123 (3,015 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 10:27:38 AM
(0)
Contributor

I had the same issue with my phone. The easiest thing to do is download following app .. "Captivate Keep Alive".

This fixed all my shutdown issues, thought it does eat up battery life quick as it does not let the phone go to sleep.

Anyway that's much better than having the phone turn off every few minutes.

Hope this helps.

I had the same issue with my phone. The easiest thing to do is download following app .. "Captivate Keep Alive".

This fixed all my shutdown issues, thought it does eat up battery life quick as it does not let the phone go to sleep.

Anyway that's much better than having the phone turn off every few minutes.

Hope this helps.

103 of 123 (2,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 11:34:47 AM
(0)
Teacher

Sounds like the random shutdown problem.  The other "common problem" with this phone.  It'll only get worse so you should get an exchange and be sure they give you a new unit, not a refurb, because a lot of people get exchanges units and they have the same problem, from what I understand.

Sounds like the random shutdown problem.  The other "common problem" with this phone.  It'll only get worse so you should get an exchange and be sure they give you a new unit, not a refurb, because a lot of people get exchanges units and they have the same problem, from what I understand.

104 of 123 (2,766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 6:25:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

I used the keep alive and it worked.  I set the phone at 90%, so it didn't eat up too much battery.  I did go to the ATT store a week ago, and the rep there echanged my SIM card for a new one.  It hasn't shut down since.  Just in case, I have the phone set to forward calls to my landline if the phone is off.  But so far, so good.  I'm hoping for the best, but if it happens again, I'll send the phone back for a replacement if they can assure me that they'll send one made after Nov. 2010.  I should have done it when I got it within the 30 day period. I love the phone, and want it to work out.

I used the keep alive and it worked.  I set the phone at 90%, so it didn't eat up too much battery.  I did go to the ATT store a week ago, and the rep there echanged my SIM card for a new one.  It hasn't shut down since.  Just in case, I have the phone set to forward calls to my landline if the phone is off.  But so far, so good.  I'm hoping for the best, but if it happens again, I'll send the phone back for a replacement if they can assure me that they'll send one made after Nov. 2010.  I should have done it when I got it within the 30 day period. I love the phone, and want it to work out.

105 of 123 (2,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 10:57:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

Attention:  If you are having random shutdown issues with your AT&T Samsung Captivate, call AT&T and ask for a replacement.  This is a known defect for some Samsung Captivate devices manufactured before Nov, 2010.  And there is a service bulletin that was issued by Samsung regarding this matter.

Do *NOT* waste your time, formatting you SD card, doing a factory reset, erasing cache, erasing user's data, un-rooting device, ....  I already tried all of these steps, and none of them worked.   Call AT&T and tell them your device is randomly powering off, and demand a warranty replacement.

Rubens.

Attention:  If you are having random shutdown issues with your AT&T Samsung Captivate, call AT&T and ask for a replacement.  This is a known defect for some Samsung Captivate devices manufactured before Nov, 2010.  And there is a service bulletin that was issued by Samsung regarding this matter.

Do *NOT* waste your time, formatting you SD card, doing a factory reset, erasing cache, erasing user's data, un-rooting device, ....  I already tried all of these steps, and none of them worked.   Call AT&T and tell them your device is randomly powering off, and demand a warranty replacement.

Rubens.

106 of 123 (2,320 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 2:37:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have had the shut down issue for some time now.  While traveling back in Nov 2010, I stopped at a AT&T store and they did a factory reset.  It lasted about 3 weeks.  I recently stayed about 6 weeks in Texas and it got worse.  It seemed to improve when I returned home for awhile but now is shutting down quite frequently.  I just email AT&T customer service, waiting for a reply.

I have had the shut down issue for some time now.  While traveling back in Nov 2010, I stopped at a AT&T store and they did a factory reset.  It lasted about 3 weeks.  I recently stayed about 6 weeks in Texas and it got worse.  It seemed to improve when I returned home for awhile but now is shutting down quite frequently.  I just email AT&T customer service, waiting for a reply.

107 of 123 (2,297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 2:41:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

Im gonna try to return or exchange it tomorrow .despite the fact that I loved my phone .I cant take it any more !

Warranty Claims/Exchanges
New wireless devices, tablets and netbooks/notebooks carry a one-year manufacturer's warranty from date of purchase. Refurbished wireless devices and netbooks carry a 90-day manufacturer's warranty from the date of purchase. http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp

Im gonna try to return or exchange it tomorrow .despite the fact that I loved my phone .I cant take it any more !

Warranty Claims/Exchanges
New wireless devices, tablets and netbooks/notebooks carry a one-year manufacturer's warranty from date of purchase. Refurbished wireless devices and netbooks carry a 90-day manufacturer's warranty from the date of purchase. http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp

108 of 123 (2,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 10:06:52 AM
(0)
Voyager

I've had a Captivate since Oct.  Yesterday, I went to a DSC in Mass and got an exchange.  Process was painless and took 10 minutes.  Tech was straightforward and said they had seen several of them.  New phone hasn't shut down yet, but it's only been a day.  Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My IMEI starts with 3518 - so it's still got the potential to be impacted, I guess.

I've had a Captivate since Oct.  Yesterday, I went to a DSC in Mass and got an exchange.  Process was painless and took 10 minutes.  Tech was straightforward and said they had seen several of them.  New phone hasn't shut down yet, but it's only been a day.  Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My IMEI starts with 3518 - so it's still got the potential to be impacted, I guess.

109 of 123 (2,124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 6:10:41 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've had my captivate since August and have had the shut down  problem from the get go.  I had the phone replaced twice when I first got it, then they sent me a new battery.  That worked for like 6 months, although every once in a while it would shut down.  Then all of a sudden in the past few weeks it started shutting down again.  ATT gave me another battery, but that was even worse... like every 5 minutes my phone would shut down.  called warranty dept., they exchanged my phone, told me that phones manufactured before November had issue, but issue was  fixed and any phone manufactured after November did not have this issue.  So far, so good.  Phone seems to be working great... but it's only been a few days.  I am hopeful.  Still love the phone and if the random shut down issue is now resolved I will be a HAPPY CAMPER.  Go ahead and exchange the phone if you are still under warranty.  I really feel they have the issue fixed.

I've had my captivate since August and have had the shut down  problem from the get go.  I had the phone replaced twice when I first got it, then they sent me a new battery.  That worked for like 6 months, although every once in a while it would shut down.  Then all of a sudden in the past few weeks it started shutting down again.  ATT gave me another battery, but that was even worse... like every 5 minutes my phone would shut down.  called warranty dept., they exchanged my phone, told me that phones manufactured before November had issue, but issue was  fixed and any phone manufactured after November did not have this issue.  So far, so good.  Phone seems to be working great... but it's only been a few days.  I am hopeful.  Still love the phone and if the random shut down issue is now resolved I will be a HAPPY CAMPER.  Go ahead and exchange the phone if you are still under warranty.  I really feel they have the issue fixed.

110 of 123 (2,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 4:03:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

well, the new sim didn't work, so ATT sent me a different phone.  That shut down in 48 hours, so they sent another, still manufactured before November 6, 2010.  They insist that there's no way they can check before the phone goes out.  I'll see what happens with this one, and just keep exchanging until I get a new enough one.  At least I don't have to send the phone back until the new one arrives, and they do get the new one to me within 24 hours.  It's a bummer, though, because it's a great phone in all other respects.  Rethinking my past support for ATT.  They should be willing to replace these phones with new devices.

well, the new sim didn't work, so ATT sent me a different phone.  That shut down in 48 hours, so they sent another, still manufactured before November 6, 2010.  They insist that there's no way they can check before the phone goes out.  I'll see what happens with this one, and just keep exchanging until I get a new enough one.  At least I don't have to send the phone back until the new one arrives, and they do get the new one to me within 24 hours.  It's a bummer, though, because it's a great phone in all other respects.  Rethinking my past support for ATT.  They should be willing to replace these phones with new devices.

111 of 123 (2,658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 8:51:55 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have had this phone for about 6 months and began experiencing this problem immediatley, but not frequently.  I just did the upgrade to 2.2 and now it happens 4-5 times daily!  This is not acceptable!

I have had this phone for about 6 months and began experiencing this problem immediatley, but not frequently.  I just did the upgrade to 2.2 and now it happens 4-5 times daily!  This is not acceptable!

112 of 123 (2,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2011 3:16:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah, my third captivate shut down after a week, and I had to pull the battery to get it to turn on again.  I talked with yet another person who couldn't do anything, and finally out of frustration, asked for his supervisor.  He was very helpful and arranged an early, discounted upgrade to a new, but different phone.  It has been shipped overnight priority.  He finally explained why they can't check on the manufacture date before they send out replacement phones.  Once they open the box, it's no longer legal to sell it as a newly refurbished phone.  He said even if I were to upgrade to a new Captivate, which is what I wanted, there would be no guarantee that it would have the manufacture date after Nov. 2010.  Once they open the box to check, they can no longer sell the phone.  At least I understand now, but it would have helped if the many people I spoke with before him had told me that.  Anyway - I gave up on the Captivate, and am trying HTC inspire.  I really liked this phone, but the shutdown issue was too inconvenient to put up with.  We and all our family have been with ATT a long time, and I wasn't anxious to switch, but staying was a lot of work.  I wouldn't ever buy a Samsung product again, though.  They kept putting these bad phones back in circulation - wrong!

Yeah, my third captivate shut down after a week, and I had to pull the battery to get it to turn on again.  I talked with yet another person who couldn't do anything, and finally out of frustration, asked for his supervisor.  He was very helpful and arranged an early, discounted upgrade to a new, but different phone.  It has been shipped overnight priority.  He finally explained why they can't check on the manufacture date before they send out replacement phones.  Once they open the box, it's no longer legal to sell it as a newly refurbished phone.  He said even if I were to upgrade to a new Captivate, which is what I wanted, there would be no guarantee that it would have the manufacture date after Nov. 2010.  Once they open the box to check, they can no longer sell the phone.  At least I understand now, but it would have helped if the many people I spoke with before him had told me that.  Anyway - I gave up on the Captivate, and am trying HTC inspire.  I really liked this phone, but the shutdown issue was too inconvenient to put up with.  We and all our family have been with ATT a long time, and I wasn't anxious to switch, but staying was a lot of work.  I wouldn't ever buy a Samsung product again, though.  They kept putting these bad phones back in circulation - wrong!

113 of 123 (2,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2011 6:23:28 AM
(0)
Contributor

Here is the deal.  If your phone was manufactured before November 5, 2010 are having  this problem,  take it back while it is still under waranty and they will swap it out.  At&t knows all about this problem.

Here is the deal.  If your phone was manufactured before November 5, 2010 are having  this problem,  take it back while it is still under waranty and they will swap it out.  At&t knows all about this problem.

114 of 123 (2,428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2011 9:27:38 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by rubens_gomes on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:29:51 AM

ATTENTION:  If you are having random shutdown issues with a Samsung Captivate, please beware that there is a class law suit that was filed against Samsung about this exact problem.  The link to the law suit is here:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/03/28/Samsung.pdf

There is a possibility that getting a replacement phone from AT&T is not going to resolve your random shutdown problem. 

ATTENTION:  If you are having random shutdown issues with a Samsung Captivate, please beware that there is a class law suit that was filed against Samsung about this exact problem.  The link to the law suit is here:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/03/28/Samsung.pdf

There is a possibility that getting a replacement phone from AT&T is not going to resolve your random shutdown problem. 

[ Edited ]
115 of 123 (2,146 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 5:43:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

my samsung captivate was manufactured 2/24/2011 and has the shut down issue. I have had the phone for 6 days and it has shutdown 3 times on its own.

my samsung captivate was manufactured 2/24/2011 and has the shut down issue. I have had the phone for 6 days and it has shutdown 3 times on its own.

116 of 123 (2,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2011 1:09:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

How can we join the suit?

How can we join the suit?

117 of 123 (2,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2011 5:18:17 PM
(0)
Mentor

What if your samsung captivate is from a third party? And you are having shutdown issue.

What if your samsung captivate is from a third party? And you are having shutdown issue.

118 of 123 (1,907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2011 5:40:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's where I am too, except my Captivate does not have the shutdown issue and I am loving the phone - purchased from a seller, I am the second owner.

If your Captivate is from a third party seller, you could try getting it replaced under warranty (Samsung, not AT&T). They should be able to take care of you.

That's where I am too, except my Captivate does not have the shutdown issue and I am loving the phone - purchased from a seller, I am the second owner.

If your Captivate is from a third party seller, you could try getting it replaced under warranty (Samsung, not AT&T). They should be able to take care of you.

119 of 123 (1,903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2011 2:40:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

Curious about that law firm...quite a few typos and some bad grammar in that document...

apart from that, I've been having the same issue & I was told by tech support that it was a "known issue" & I was transferred to warranty exchange.  I was told by the WE rep that my IMEI number was in the affected range and that I could go to the nearest device support center to receive a replacement.  When I got there, I was told that since my phone was "off warranty" I would either have to go through insurance to get a replacement or use my upgrade to purchase a new phone.  I got the phone in late Oct., which was after the problem was discovered.  

In effect, AT&T wants me to spend money to replace a phone that they knew was likely to fail before I even received it.

I refuse to do so & I'm examining my options at this point.

Curious about that law firm...quite a few typos and some bad grammar in that document...

apart from that, I've been having the same issue & I was told by tech support that it was a "known issue" & I was transferred to warranty exchange.  I was told by the WE rep that my IMEI number was in the affected range and that I could go to the nearest device support center to receive a replacement.  When I got there, I was told that since my phone was "off warranty" I would either have to go through insurance to get a replacement or use my upgrade to purchase a new phone.  I got the phone in late Oct., which was after the problem was discovered.  

In effect, AT&T wants me to spend money to replace a phone that they knew was likely to fail before I even received it.

I refuse to do so & I'm examining my options at this point.

120 of 123 (1,804 Views)