Samsung Captivate Shutdown Issue

Mentor

Samsung Captivate Shutdown Issue

Yesterday, I tried to awake my phone from sleep and nothing! Just the black screen. I plugged the charger in and still nothing, just a black screen. Hitting the power button did nothing. The only solution I had was to take the battery out. It powered up ok once doing that. I had 39% battery life left when the phone came back up. I have had the phone for 2 weeks and never had a problem (other than the GPS issue the is common on the Captivate).  It is a standard stock phone.

Anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be?

Message 1 of 123 (37,345 Views)
Tutor

Re: Samsung Captivate Shutdown Issue

Well, my friend, I just want to let you know that you're looking at a hefty ETF when you cancel this account.  Since you have the captivate, it means you recently renewed your contract(unless, of course, you bought it outright) recently.  I believe that the ETF is going to run you in the area of ~$315 USD plus whatever past due ballance and current ballance on the account.

This is just cutting off the nose to spite the face, to be honest, and you really shouldn't cut your AT&T service due to a problem with Assurion, who is actually outside of AT&T itself, and while I do admit that AT&T should acknowledge this issue, I still don't believe it's a reason to cancel outright.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 76 of 123 (4,650 Views)
Teacher

Skiddy wrote:

Well, my friend, I just want to let you know that you're looking at a hefty ETF when you cancel this account.  Since you have the captivate, it means you recently renewed your contract(unless, of course, you bought it outright) recently.  I believe that the ETF is going to run you in the area of ~$315 USD plus whatever past due ballance and current ballance on the account.

This is just cutting off the nose to spite the face, to be honest, and you really shouldn't cut your AT&T service due to a problem with Assurion, who is actually outside of AT&T itself, and while I do admit that AT&T should acknowledge this issue, I still don't believe it's a reason to cancel outright.

I bought this phone at $378 with out signing up for 2 year. 

Message 77 of 123 (4,622 Views)

I'm on my THIRD Captivate and it still shuts down.  I'm feed up with this phone and AT&T.  Their solution is to keep giving me phones that do the same thing.  Geniuses aren't they?

Message 78 of 123 (4,471 Views)
Contributor

I had the same problem with my phone constantly shutting off randomly, sometimes 7 or 8 times a day.  I did the online chat with technical support with AT&T and became very frustrated with the "tech support".  I explained the problem and the question I was asked was if I ever turn the phone off! I asked why that matters if I have turned the phone off or not and she said that it needs to be turned off occasionally to get updates from the network!! So I told her well then that isn't a problem getting the "updates" because my phone turns itself off constantly every single day! She had no response to that. She was absolutely no help, instead after explaining everything and saying that I wanted a replacement phone she replied that this was the first time I tried technical support for this issue,  I told her sorry but I just started having the "issues" and so now I'm asking for support, that it shouldn't matter if this is the first time, she still wasn't helping me.  I was told to call the warranty people and after speaking to them and going through the whole thing again I was told that this problem has never been validated but since it hadn't been 30 days I needed to return it where I bought it, which happened to be AT&T online.  After calling them repeatedly I decided to wait until the 30 days was up, go to the device support center in Austin, TX to switch the phone out.  I was very fortunate because the tech there was extremely helpful, she was aware of the problem and switched my phone out right then.  Fingers crossed that this one will not have the same problem, it has been 8 hours and no shut down, whoo hoo!

So, anyone with this problem that lives in central Texas should take their phone to the DSC in Austin, TX.  Megan was extremely nice and helpful...thank you Megan!

The tech support that you can chat with online with Cingular, not helpful at all! 

Message 79 of 123 (4,359 Views)
Contributor

I bought the Samsung Captivate mid November 2010 and I started getting the random shutdown problem after couple of days. None of the the approaches (changing power saving options, hard reset, turning on fully charged phone after unplugging from the charger) worked for me.

I installed Captivate Keep Alive (look for it in the market place) 10 days ago and it resolved the problem for me. I haven't had any shutdowns for the past 10 days. Also, the CKA appears to be running automatically all the time and the battery consumption by CKA is low.

Check out the AT&T Service bulletin on this here: http://www.attdroids.com/forum/samsung-captivate-tech/2402-service-bulletin-random-shutdown-issues-t...

Message 80 of 123 (4,161 Views)
Contributor

I just now installed the "Captivate Keep Alive" so let's see if that works. I had previously installed an "apps killer" and I noticed that when I tapped it often enough the phone would not shut down as often. There seems to be apps that attach themselves whenever you use e-mail or the internet or maybe when you don't do anything at all. Anyway when I kill them the phone seems to stay on.

Message 81 of 123 (4,219 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Im on my fifth captivate now. Im not having a problem with it shutting down now but it is running very slow and locking up. AT&T told me to stop calling them and will not honor the warranty any more. I sent the phone back to Samsung for repair and should be getting it back soon. Hopefully it works this time.

Message 82 of 123 (4,140 Views)
Contributor

I've had a Captivate since early September. Had to get the phone replaced within a week or so because the microphone on the phone stopped working. Started having the shutdown problem a month or so later. (GPS fix had been applied.) Assumed it was the case I was using, pressing the power button. New case, same problem. Found the info on the forums, and have tried various "solutions" most recently, installed the "Captivate Keep Alive" app 2 days ago. Phone has shutdown at least 3 times in the last 2 days.

I have the phone set up to connect to a bluetooth home phone extension (Gigaset One, its OK, not great.). I can plug the power cord into the phone, and set it down next to the Gigaset One, come back an hour or so later and see the connection light flashing because the phone has shutdown.

Last night I was responding to a text message, and the phone went black immediately after sending the message. I thought it had gone into sleep mode, but tapping the power button, nothing. Time to go visit AT&T.

Message 83 of 123 (4,018 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

As a previous poster stated, this is a known issue with the Captivate and Samsung has issued a notice regarding this. I found out about the notice this weekend while researching my problem & called AT&T warranty department today. They are shipping a replacement. Mine would sometimes go a couple of weeks without shutting down and other times would reboot itself several times in an hour. I don't know if this is related or not (probably is), but mine "forgets" that I have the system sounds turned all the way off. So, each time it reboots, the system sound volume gets jacked all the way up again and I have to go back into the settings and turn it all the way down.

In order to make the phone time with the warranty department as short and painless as possible be sure to tell them right away that you discovered Samsung had issued a service bulletin regarding the random shutdown of your Captivate. Hopefully your customer service person will be aware of it & will walk through the steps of verifying whether your phone is covered under the bulletin (checking IMEI number against those covered in the bulletin, asking about physical damage & if it's been exposed to moisture, etc.). If not, here is a copy of the bulletin for your reference & you can ask them to look it up or ask for a supervisor.

{ AT&T Proprietary information removed }

Message 84 of 123 (3,840 Views)
Contributor

Last night, took the Captivate to the local AT&T service center in Cary, NC. They knew about the issue, checked the IMEI number, replaced the phone and copied everything over that they could, (no apps). The old phone powered off 3 times yesterday. So far the new one has not had the issue, but only time will tell.

Jim

Message 85 of 123 (3,619 Views)
Contributor

Update:  Earlier, I posed that my Samsung Captivate was experiencing the shutdown problem.  Very early in this tread, someone posted a number for ATT customer service.  I called that number using my land line and here's what happened:

The friendly tech walked me through a couple of steps:  rebooting, removing apps, etc.  After each step, the phone still powered down.  It was powering down during the conversation, so I could immediately report that the remedy she suggested did not work.  Finally, she told me to send in the phone for a replacement.  I asked if I could take it back to the AT&T store so I could get a replacement more quickly.  She found a service center very close to my house (luckily I live in a large metropolitan area), while I was still on the phone she called them to confirm that they had replacements in stock.

They had a replacement at the service center, so I went there to get a new phone.  The gentleman there was also very helpful and acknowledged that the shutdown issue was a known problem with the Captivate.  He backed up my contacts and set up a new phone for me, and he replaced the screen protector.  I've had the new phone for approximately 2 months now, and it hasn't shut down once -- YEAH!

One bad thing was that I lost two apps that I had paid for, and was told that to get them back I'd have to repurchase them.  That seems ridiculous to me since I have the emails confirming payment, why can't I just download them again?  But I can live without those apps for now.

Hopefully my phone is fixed.  Unlike some other people who have posted, I did have a positive experience with the AT&T people.

Message 86 of 123 (3,431 Views)
Employee

you don't have to repurchase them, just go reinstall them. if you click menu>my apps (within the market) it'll bring up a list of currently downloaded and purchased apps which can be downloaded again at no cost. that's the beauty of android.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 87 of 123 (3,360 Views)
Master

JFizDaWiz wrote:

you don't have to repurchase them, just go reinstall them. if you click menu>my apps (within the market) it'll bring up a list of currently downloaded and purchased apps which can be downloaded again at no cost. that's the beauty of android.

You do have to setup the phone or sign in with the same gmail account you used to purchase the application.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 88 of 123 (3,329 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't need to add another post detailing what happens to these phones when they shut themselves off. What does need to be addressed is the fact that ATT stores continue to sell/give replacement phones that fall within the IMEI/SKU range of known bad phones. Even if not ALL of the phones within that range are bad, ATT should not be willing to risk the ill will and irritation generated when they do go bad.

Keep in mind the service bulletin about this issue was released Dec 20th by Samsung. Nobody reading this should still be having the issue if they have replaced their phones since then. Nobody. I also love how their "instructions" are to continue to sell through existing inventory. What they are really saying is it's okay to waste your time.

My phone"s":

Captivate #1 (recieved Dec 28, '10)-- had the shutdown issue. Exchanged

Captivate #2 (recieved Jan +/- 15th) -- camera would click and then "green screen" the phone, making it inoperable. Exchanged.

Captivate #3 (Recieved Jan 27th) -- Jan 28th, phone is shutting down again. After checking the service bulletin (pasted below) my "new" phone is well within the known bad range of IMEI numbers. WHY would I get one of these phones as a replacement??? Especially after having the same problem with an earlier phone. Nice work ATT, you're really knocking this one out of the park. Who was it that's at the bottom of the customer serice rankings again?

{ AT&T Proprietary information removed }

Message 89 of 123 (3,230 Views)
Contributor

See my previous post-----

Apparently posting the actual service bulletin is a no-no since it was removed. If only they could solve my phone problem as quickly as they can edit my forum posts....

In an attempt to help all of us ATT customers better understand our technical issues I post the following information *excerpted* from the technical service bulletin. Jullian Assange/Wikileaks help me if they remove this info again....

IMEIs manufactured before November 6, 2010: 352982040855394 or lower - 5393, 5392, etc.

Existing Product: All devices that were manufactured before November 6, 2010 have the potential to be affected.
New Product: Devices manufactured after November 6, 2010 should not experience this issue.

In the interest of full disclosure, all ATT reps/support staff have been very helpful through this.

Message 90 of 123 (3,182 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.