Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 16, 2010
8:18:45 AM
View profile
Samsung Captivate Shutdown Issue

Yesterday, I tried to awake my phone from sleep and nothing! Just the black screen. I plugged the charger in and still nothing, just a black screen. Hitting the power button did nothing. The only solution I had was to take the battery out. It powered up ok once doing that. I had 39% battery life left when the phone came back up. I have had the phone for 2 weeks and never had a problem (other than the GPS issue the is common on the Captivate).  It is a standard stock phone.

Anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be?

Yesterday, I tried to awake my phone from sleep and nothing! Just the black screen. I plugged the charger in and still nothing, just a black screen. Hitting the power button did nothing. The only solution I had was to take the battery out. It powered up ok once doing that. I had 39% battery life left when the phone came back up. I have had the phone for 2 weeks and never had a problem (other than the GPS issue the is common on the Captivate).  It is a standard stock phone.

Anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be?

Samsung Captivate Shutdown Issue

122 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(122)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2010 2:10:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

I got a refurbished phone 2 days ago and I am starting to see this issue from day one. I thought ,because it was a refurb it was acting "smart" . BTW  "josh_sal" solution did not work. I did a hard reset, still no luck. I have the power management also turned off.

I got a refurbished phone 2 days ago and I am starting to see this issue from day one. I thought ,because it was a refurb it was acting "smart" . BTW  "josh_sal" solution did not work. I did a hard reset, still no luck. I have the power management also turned off.

Re: Samsung Captivate Shutdown Issue

31 of 123 (5,614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2010 11:58:27 AM
(0)
Contributor

This is the same issue I am having.  I unplug it from the USB charger, and normally it stays on for a little bit if I use it immediately.  But if I let it hibernate, it turns off

This is the same issue I am having.  I unplug it from the USB charger, and normally it stays on for a little bit if I use it immediately.  But if I let it hibernate, it turns off

32 of 123 (5,550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2010 4:35:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

Have you guys applied the "GPS Fix -update"? I was released in SEP2010.

Mine stopped giving me problems after update was applied.

33 of 123 (5,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2010 4:49:53 PM
(0)
Guru

jcylcruzin wrote:

The update in September was the JH7 update, and it's not a GPS fix, although there is literature stating it addresses (among multiple other things) GPS performance.  Presumably there were some GPS tweaks in the update, since there have been reports of the service getting better (and some reports of it getting worse) after applying it, and I'm glad it's working well for you, now.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

jcylcruzin wrote:

The update in September was the JH7 update, and it's not a GPS fix, although there is literature stating it addresses (among multiple other things) GPS performance.  Presumably there were some GPS tweaks in the update, since there have been reports of the service getting better (and some reports of it getting worse) after applying it, and I'm glad it's working well for you, now.

34 of 123 (5,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2010 10:35:13 AM
(0)
Tutor

My shutdown issues started about 2 weeks ago.  It's unpredictable, but happens more often shortly after taking the phone off charger.  They sent a new battery a couple of days ago, and after charging the new battery up, the phone immediately shut down.  They are now sending a new (refurbished) phone.  I have had this phone for 35 days and have never had as much trouble from an AT&T phone as this!  If it wasn't for ATT's early termination penalties, I'd be at Verizon but I suspect they have as many issues as we do.  I've tried the "keep alive" app, app killer, virus scan, and 3 full factory resets.  Still happening.  Samsung insists it is not their problem, and that they haven't heard about it before (sure!).  In case it hasn't been distributed before, (I'm new here) the AT&T Android help desk direct phone # is (800) 801-1101.  They are very good, and always willing to help.

My shutdown issues started about 2 weeks ago.  It's unpredictable, but happens more often shortly after taking the phone off charger.  They sent a new battery a couple of days ago, and after charging the new battery up, the phone immediately shut down.  They are now sending a new (refurbished) phone.  I have had this phone for 35 days and have never had as much trouble from an AT&T phone as this!  If it wasn't for ATT's early termination penalties, I'd be at Verizon but I suspect they have as many issues as we do.  I've tried the "keep alive" app, app killer, virus scan, and 3 full factory resets.  Still happening.  Samsung insists it is not their problem, and that they haven't heard about it before (sure!).  In case it hasn't been distributed before, (I'm new here) the AT&T Android help desk direct phone # is (800) 801-1101.  They are very good, and always willing to help.

35 of 123 (5,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2010 7:20:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

None of the troubleshooting works it will just cause you to lose all of your information saved to the phone. It is just a waste of time and money. Getting AT&T to send you a replacement phone isn't easy. When I finally got the replacement which is a used phone not a new one that I paid for it still has the same problems. The replacement is shutting down the same way and I am having to go through the same process to get another phone. The first time I called about the problem was before the 30 day trial was over and they started the troubleshooting process which conveniently took over 30 days so I could not return the phone.

None of the troubleshooting works it will just cause you to lose all of your information saved to the phone. It is just a waste of time and money. Getting AT&T to send you a replacement phone isn't easy. When I finally got the replacement which is a used phone not a new one that I paid for it still has the same problems. The replacement is shutting down the same way and I am having to go through the same process to get another phone. The first time I called about the problem was before the 30 day trial was over and they started the troubleshooting process which conveniently took over 30 days so I could not return the phone.

36 of 123 (4,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2010 1:32:58 PM
(0)
Contributor
This is my second Captivate and the problem is getting worse, too bad because I think the phone is the best phone out there, shut down problem excluded. I am growing very worried about AT&T and their help desk people! Every time I talk with them they claim that they are unaware of this issue???? Don't they read the forums on their own web pages? I get this answer even from their tier 2 tech support. I suspect this is just a ploy, they are probably worried about the ramifications should they admit that there is a known problem. Personally I don’t want another phone I just want AT&T and Samsung (or Android) to step up the plate and admit here is a problem and fix it! I suspect that the problem has little to do with the software (android) as it seems to work just fine on a variety of other manufacturer phones! Right now all I can count on this phone for is calls out, since I don’t have any idea when it shut off people may have a hard time getting in touch with me.
This is my second Captivate and the problem is getting worse, too bad because I think the phone is the best phone out there, shut down problem excluded. I am growing very worried about AT&T and their help desk people! Every time I talk with them they claim that they are unaware of this issue???? Don't they read the forums on their own web pages? I get this answer even from their tier 2 tech support. I suspect this is just a ploy, they are probably worried about the ramifications should they admit that there is a known problem. Personally I don’t want another phone I just want AT&T and Samsung (or Android) to step up the plate and admit here is a problem and fix it! I suspect that the problem has little to do with the software (android) as it seems to work just fine on a variety of other manufacturer phones! Right now all I can count on this phone for is calls out, since I don’t have any idea when it shut off people may have a hard time getting in touch with me.

37 of 123 (4,785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2010 1:38:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

out there, shut down problem excluded.  I am growing very worried about AT&T and their help desk people! Every time I talk with them they claim that they are unaware of this issue????  Don't they read the forums on their own web pages? I get this answer even from their tier 2 tech support.  I suspect this is just a ploy, they are probably worried about the ramifications should they admit that there is a known problem.  Personally I don’t want another phone I just want AT&T and Samsung (or Android) to step up the plate and admit here is a problem and fix it! I suspect that the problem has little to do with the software (android) as it seems to work just fine on a variety of other manufacturer phones! Right now all I can count on this phone for is calls out, since I don’t have any idea when it shut off people may have a hard time getting in touch with me.

out there, shut down problem excluded.  I am growing very worried about AT&T and their help desk people! Every time I talk with them they claim that they are unaware of this issue????  Don't they read the forums on their own web pages? I get this answer even from their tier 2 tech support.  I suspect this is just a ploy, they are probably worried about the ramifications should they admit that there is a known problem.  Personally I don’t want another phone I just want AT&T and Samsung (or Android) to step up the plate and admit here is a problem and fix it! I suspect that the problem has little to do with the software (android) as it seems to work just fine on a variety of other manufacturer phones! Right now all I can count on this phone for is calls out, since I don’t have any idea when it shut off people may have a hard time getting in touch with me.

Samsung Captivate shutdown issue

38 of 123 (4,794 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 5:33:36 AM
(0)
Employee
There is currently no known issues inside of customer care/tech support for this. If you're having this issue call in for warranty
There is currently no known issues inside of customer care/tech support for this. If you're having this issue call in for warranty
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Samsung Captivate shutdown issue

39 of 123 (4,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 11:15:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

JFizDaWiz wrote:

If you would read you would see that we have called in for warranty but we don't get help just excuses. How can you not know of the problem when customers have been calling complaining about it since the phone was released?

JFizDaWiz wrote:

If you would read you would see that we have called in for warranty but we don't get help just excuses. How can you not know of the problem when customers have been calling complaining about it since the phone was released?

Re: Samsung Captivate shutdown issue

40 of 123 (4,656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 12:59:44 PM
(0)
Employee
I'm not saying you are wrong just that in our dept it's not a known or global issue. But I will look into it
I'm not saying you are wrong just that in our dept it's not a known or global issue. But I will look into it
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

41 of 123 (4,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2010 1:11:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

so what did you find out about the issue...

JFizDaWiz wrote:

so what did you find out about the issue...

JFizDaWiz wrote:

42 of 123 (3,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2010 5:02:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

ATT had me do a hard reset and sent me a new battery.

Neither solved the problem.

I have tried the Capitvate keep alive app and it does correct the random shut problem, the only trouble is that it eats up the battery charge, so you have to charge it more often.

Will Samsung/ATT admit there is a problem and come up with a permanent fix?

ATT had me do a hard reset and sent me a new battery.

Neither solved the problem.

I have tried the Capitvate keep alive app and it does correct the random shut problem, the only trouble is that it eats up the battery charge, so you have to charge it more often.

Will Samsung/ATT admit there is a problem and come up with a permanent fix?

43 of 123 (3,711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2010 12:58:56 AM
(0)
Employee
Still haven't heard a thing about this and I bought my girlfriend a captivate and it doesn't have any issues at all
Still haven't heard a thing about this and I bought my girlfriend a captivate and it doesn't have any issues at all

44 of 123 (3,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2010 8:09:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

JFizDaWiz wrote:

It usualy starts shutting off on its own after about 3 weeks. I have tried hard resets setting it back to factory settings. I got rid of all of my apps ring tones there is nothing on it. I dont use any aplications and it still shuts off on its own. I just recieved my third captivate when I start having problems with it and I call at&t I want to talk to you.

JFizDaWiz wrote:

It usualy starts shutting off on its own after about 3 weeks. I have tried hard resets setting it back to factory settings. I got rid of all of my apps ring tones there is nothing on it. I dont use any aplications and it still shuts off on its own. I just recieved my third captivate when I start having problems with it and I call at&t I want to talk to you.

45 of 123 (3,514 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 9:27:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just activated that third phone today put in a fully charged battery and set it down. When I picked it up about 30 mins latter it was off. I called at&t and they still want to trouble shoot it. They should have done trouble shooting before they sent it to me. I have only had this phone for about four months and they will not let me out of the contract or get me another phone. The customer service sucks and Im getting tired of talking to them on the phone. Never buy a phone over the internet because you can't take it to your local store you have to spend hours on the phone to get nothing.

I just activated that third phone today put in a fully charged battery and set it down. When I picked it up about 30 mins latter it was off. I called at&t and they still want to trouble shoot it. They should have done trouble shooting before they sent it to me. I have only had this phone for about four months and they will not let me out of the contract or get me another phone. The customer service sucks and Im getting tired of talking to them on the phone. Never buy a phone over the internet because you can't take it to your local store you have to spend hours on the phone to get nothing.

46 of 123 (3,470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 8:28:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

i got this phone for my husband and i just a week ago and the phone started shutting down by itself by day 3. i dont think its an idle or apps problem because it only happened in the morning. which was weird. i believe the phone is just defective. on my husbands phone, it drained most of his data (on the 200MB plan) in hours! right when we got the phone friday evening i set up the wifi. we only went out for a few hours the whole weekend and he didn't even really use the phone. by sunday evening we were getting warning messages that he already used up 144 out of 200MB. how ridiculous is at?! I'm sending the phones out today to exchange. got them thru radio shack so we'll have to go back to our old phones for a few days. sucks cuz we really like that phone. fingers crossed it wont happen again!!

i got this phone for my husband and i just a week ago and the phone started shutting down by itself by day 3. i dont think its an idle or apps problem because it only happened in the morning. which was weird. i believe the phone is just defective. on my husbands phone, it drained most of his data (on the 200MB plan) in hours! right when we got the phone friday evening i set up the wifi. we only went out for a few hours the whole weekend and he didn't even really use the phone. by sunday evening we were getting warning messages that he already used up 144 out of 200MB. how ridiculous is at?! I'm sending the phones out today to exchange. got them thru radio shack so we'll have to go back to our old phones for a few days. sucks cuz we really like that phone. fingers crossed it wont happen again!!

47 of 123 (3,340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 10:24:53 AM
(0)
Guru

mqdk wrote:

Do you charge your phone overnight?  The most common shutdown issue people see with this phone happens when the phone is fully charged and goes idle.  If you're charging overnight, you probably will see the issue only early in the day.  I hope your next one doesn't give issues.

Android phones have a wi-fi sleep policy.  By default, it's set to turn off wi-fi any time the screen is off.  You may want to change that.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

mqdk wrote:

Do you charge your phone overnight?  The most common shutdown issue people see with this phone happens when the phone is fully charged and goes idle.  If you're charging overnight, you probably will see the issue only early in the day.  I hope your next one doesn't give issues.

Android phones have a wi-fi sleep policy.  By default, it's set to turn off wi-fi any time the screen is off.  You may want to change that.

48 of 123 (3,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 6:59:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

mqdk wrote:

If you got this phone because your contract was up, you can get out of the contract you just singed to get the phone, and I suggest you do that. AT&T was ranked the worst cellular provider for 2010. If you can go anywhere else you should do it. I was told I would receive a credit for the amount of my bill that was due but never did now they want a late fee. The customer service is horrible and they don't help. I switched from Verizon because I had problems with them but I would go back to the over the service I have been receiving from AT&T.

mqdk wrote:

If you got this phone because your contract was up, you can get out of the contract you just singed to get the phone, and I suggest you do that. AT&T was ranked the worst cellular provider for 2010. If you can go anywhere else you should do it. I was told I would receive a credit for the amount of my bill that was due but never did now they want a late fee. The customer service is horrible and they don't help. I switched from Verizon because I had problems with them but I would go back to the over the service I have been receiving from AT&T.

49 of 123 (3,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 10:12:34 AM
(0)
Contributor

My samsung captivate has started shutting down as described in this message thread.  I was hoping there was some "sleep" or automatic shut-down setting that would allieviate the problem but I can't find any such setting.

Is the only solution to take the phone back to the AT&T store from which I bought it?  I really love this phone, but I'm missing way too many calls.

My samsung captivate has started shutting down as described in this message thread.  I was hoping there was some "sleep" or automatic shut-down setting that would allieviate the problem but I can't find any such setting.

Is the only solution to take the phone back to the AT&T store from which I bought it?  I really love this phone, but I'm missing way too many calls.

50 of 123 (3,215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 8:15:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was going to switch from AT&T to Verizon or Sprint and then discovered the Captivate.  After all these postings regarding shut down problems, which I see AT&T completely ignoring, there is no way I would ever get that phone.  I think I will head over to Sprint.  I have so many dropped calls with my Tilt 2 that I am at wits end.  Thanks for all the postings.

I was going to switch from AT&T to Verizon or Sprint and then discovered the Captivate.  After all these postings regarding shut down problems, which I see AT&T completely ignoring, there is no way I would ever get that phone.  I think I will head over to Sprint.  I have so many dropped calls with my Tilt 2 that I am at wits end.  Thanks for all the postings.

51 of 123 (3,422 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 9:49:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have had my Captivate since July and have just started having problems with it shutting down.  At first, I thought something in my purse might be pushing against the buttons just right to make it shut down but today, I left it sitting on the counter with nothing touching it and when I picked it up, it was off. 

Very aggravating - I will be visiting my local ATT store and I will let whomever I talk to know that there is a multi-page topic on this very problem. 

I have had my Captivate since July and have just started having problems with it shutting down.  At first, I thought something in my purse might be pushing against the buttons just right to make it shut down but today, I left it sitting on the counter with nothing touching it and when I picked it up, it was off. 

Very aggravating - I will be visiting my local ATT store and I will let whomever I talk to know that there is a multi-page topic on this very problem. 

52 of 123 (3,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2010 5:05:05 PM
(0)
Tutor

I wanted to give an update of my situation. Right now Im waiting on my 4th captivate to arrive. Since I had a problem with the 3rd one the day I got it and called that day I was not able to get priority shipping even though I was told it would be shipped priority. I was told the phone would arrive on Dec 13 now Im getting text messages telling me to ship the old one back but I still haven't gotten the other one.

A week ago I was told I would have a credit for all of the inconvenience. Im still waiting on that.

I have had this captivate for about 3 months. In those three months I have had 3 different phones. Every time I call AT&T I get transferred around and am spending about 2 hours per phone call. This has taken too much of my time. Every time I call AT&T they tell me they are going to do something but they do something else. I think its time to call a lawyer.

I wanted to give an update of my situation. Right now Im waiting on my 4th captivate to arrive. Since I had a problem with the 3rd one the day I got it and called that day I was not able to get priority shipping even though I was told it would be shipped priority. I was told the phone would arrive on Dec 13 now Im getting text messages telling me to ship the old one back but I still haven't gotten the other one.

A week ago I was told I would have a credit for all of the inconvenience. Im still waiting on that.

I have had this captivate for about 3 months. In those three months I have had 3 different phones. Every time I call AT&T I get transferred around and am spending about 2 hours per phone call. This has taken too much of my time. Every time I call AT&T they tell me they are going to do something but they do something else. I think its time to call a lawyer.

53 of 123 (3,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2010 5:02:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hey all,

I've been doing some more forum surfing, and I have a suggestion I'd like to present to everyone, and hopefully receive some feedback on.  Charge your phone to full overnight.  Before disconnecting the charger, "Dismiss" the fully charged dialog box.  So far this seems to be a consistent, albeit non-intuitive solution to a problem that's frustrated users left and right.  Please, please, let me know if it works for you.

Hey all,

I've been doing some more forum surfing, and I have a suggestion I'd like to present to everyone, and hopefully receive some feedback on.  Charge your phone to full overnight.  Before disconnecting the charger, "Dismiss" the fully charged dialog box.  So far this seems to be a consistent, albeit non-intuitive solution to a problem that's frustrated users left and right.  Please, please, let me know if it works for you.

54 of 123 (3,037 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2010 9:32:11 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hey I just got a captivate, it had the shutting down issue as well.  I did the hard reset and issue resolved.  Thanks for the guidance with this guys.

Hey I just got a captivate, it had the shutting down issue as well.  I did the hard reset and issue resolved.  Thanks for the guidance with this guys.

55 of 123 (2,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 4:33:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

JUst got my Captivate on Thursday of last week.  Starting randomnly shutting on Saturday.  Have talked to an AT&T rep and they are sending me a replacement.  I'm going to try that hard reset and see if that fixes the problem.  Hope so because I really like the phone. 

JUst got my Captivate on Thursday of last week.  Starting randomnly shutting on Saturday.  Have talked to an AT&T rep and they are sending me a replacement.  I'm going to try that hard reset and see if that fixes the problem.  Hope so because I really like the phone. 

56 of 123 (2,838 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 9:03:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

I decided to got to the AT&T device support center in Austin TX to see if they know anything about the shut down issue. I was told that they were aware of the problem , but the Samsung has not come out with a fix yet. If I wanted to do a warranty exchange I could but there was no way to know if the next phone would have the same problem since it would be a refurbished phone. I did not do an exchange because I have a Zag screen protector and I want to get another one first (under warranty $4.95) to protect the next phone.

I then called Samsung when I got home and was told they were aware of the problem and it was a software fix and I could send the phone in so they could apply the update. Next I told her that I already had the update and it did not fix the phone. The update was the I897ucjh7. Next she changed her story and said it must be a hardware issue and I should get a repair request so I could send the phone in so they could fix it. It was supposed to be a 6 day turn around.. I then asked, "Am I supposed to go without a phone while they fix it?" Her answer to that was, " Go to an AT&T store and get a loaner phone." I seriously doubt that AT&T will give me a phone to use while I send mine in to get fixed. They were the one that sent me to there device support location.

Still no solution to the issue other than send it to Samsung and hope they are able to fix it.

What to do??

PS.  Already got another battery from AT&T and did a master reset.

I decided to got to the AT&T device support center in Austin TX to see if they know anything about the shut down issue. I was told that they were aware of the problem , but the Samsung has not come out with a fix yet. If I wanted to do a warranty exchange I could but there was no way to know if the next phone would have the same problem since it would be a refurbished phone. I did not do an exchange because I have a Zag screen protector and I want to get another one first (under warranty $4.95) to protect the next phone.

I then called Samsung when I got home and was told they were aware of the problem and it was a software fix and I could send the phone in so they could apply the update. Next I told her that I already had the update and it did not fix the phone. The update was the I897ucjh7. Next she changed her story and said it must be a hardware issue and I should get a repair request so I could send the phone in so they could fix it. It was supposed to be a 6 day turn around.. I then asked, "Am I supposed to go without a phone while they fix it?" Her answer to that was, " Go to an AT&T store and get a loaner phone." I seriously doubt that AT&T will give me a phone to use while I send mine in to get fixed. They were the one that sent me to there device support location.

Still no solution to the issue other than send it to Samsung and hope they are able to fix it.

What to do??

PS.  Already got another battery from AT&T and did a master reset.

57 of 123 (2,813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 8:25:37 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm glad I found this thread.

It looks like ATT and Samsung released this phone immaturely. I think I can deal with these problems, but I do not want any problem in the first place.

ATT's Samsung Focus seems good, but ATT's reputation looks bad.

I went to a mall yesterday to check out this device. ATT has a kiosk with dummy phones. There is no way to check the phones. Setting up a kiosk there is a waste of money.

I stay with T-mo for now. I will come back when ATT offers some good values.

Thanks, guys, for the information.

It looks like ATT and Samsung released this phone immaturely. I think I can deal with these problems, but I do not want any problem in the first place.

I went to a mall yesterday to check out this device. ATT has a kiosk with dummy phones. There is no way to check the phones. Setting up a kiosk there is a waste of money.

58 of 123 (2,693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 10:13:57 AM
(0)
Teacher

Sadly, the longer I have my Captivate (I got it the day it launched), the more I wish I'd waited... or gotten an iPhone... or switched to T-mobile.

1. It started with the useless GPS, then they put out a fix that made it only mostly useless - my GPS still rarely gets a lock closer than 50ft, making things like Parkdroid and Maps unusable.

2. They said they'd commit to a 2.2 update, then said it would be out by the end of November, which came and went without a word from AT&T.

3. Then the shutdown issues...

4. ... and how slow TouchWiz makes the phone over stock Android...

5. ... and it's pathetic network support: if you connect to a network that requires authentication, such as at work or in an airport, you'll have to re-authenticate every time you pull the phone out. This is irritating at work, when I switch back and forth between my computer and phone, but every time I pull the phone out to check something I have to log back into the network. The Palm Pre maintains the connection and doesn't require logging in over and over. I have to leave wireless off - using tons more data ($) - just to make it usable.

6. Then the phone randomly stopped functioning as a mass storage device. Using the OEM-supplied cable it no longer mounts on my computer, making it twice as difficult and considerably more time consuming to get photos off of it and music and video onto it.

I'd heard horror stories about Samsung abandoning customers who bought their phones before, but I read some good reviews and figured they'd changed... now I'm stuck with a subpar phone that could have been a great phone if it seemed like Samsung cared at all. Instead, as the list of issues grows, their inability to address them has me seriously considering buying an unlocked phone out of pocket just to get away from the Captivate.

Sadly, the longer I have my Captivate (I got it the day it launched), the more I wish I'd waited... or gotten an iPhone... or switched to T-mobile.

1. It started with the useless GPS, then they put out a fix that made it only mostly useless - my GPS still rarely gets a lock closer than 50ft, making things like Parkdroid and Maps unusable.

2. They said they'd commit to a 2.2 update, then said it would be out by the end of November, which came and went without a word from AT&T.

3. Then the shutdown issues...

4. ... and how slow TouchWiz makes the phone over stock Android...

5. ... and it's pathetic network support: if you connect to a network that requires authentication, such as at work or in an airport, you'll have to re-authenticate every time you pull the phone out. This is irritating at work, when I switch back and forth between my computer and phone, but every time I pull the phone out to check something I have to log back into the network. The Palm Pre maintains the connection and doesn't require logging in over and over. I have to leave wireless off - using tons more data ($) - just to make it usable.

6. Then the phone randomly stopped functioning as a mass storage device. Using the OEM-supplied cable it no longer mounts on my computer, making it twice as difficult and considerably more time consuming to get photos off of it and music and video onto it.

I'd heard horror stories about Samsung abandoning customers who bought their phones before, but I read some good reviews and figured they'd changed... now I'm stuck with a subpar phone that could have been a great phone if it seemed like Samsung cared at all. Instead, as the list of issues grows, their inability to address them has me seriously considering buying an unlocked phone out of pocket just to get away from the Captivate.

59 of 123 (2,675 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 2:18:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

ironbadge wrote:

No, you're hearing from the unwashed masses that don't know anything about their phones. You're only hearing from the people who are upset and disappointed, why? Because people that are satisfied don't complain.

That being said, yes, there was a GPS issue. There's probably even a batch of phones that have shutdown issues.

My recommendation, flash your phone to a different firmware and be done with it. I'm currently using Cognition, and while it's gotten rid of the Samsung bells and whistles, my phone works great.

ironbadge wrote:

No, you're hearing from the unwashed masses that don't know anything about their phones. You're only hearing from the people who are upset and disappointed, why? Because people that are satisfied don't complain.

That being said, yes, there was a GPS issue. There's probably even a batch of phones that have shutdown issues.

My recommendation, flash your phone to a different firmware and be done with it. I'm currently using Cognition, and while it's gotten rid of the Samsung bells and whistles, my phone works great.

60 of 123 (2,652 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments