Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 15, 2010
1:52:18 AM
View profile
Samsung Captivate/Outlook Contact syncing solution
Edited by twoeggs on Aug 15, 2010 at 1:54:28 AM

For those still struggling with this, or those just getting this phone and encountering issues, I have a solution for you.

If you are just trying to get your contacts, and you can't get Kies to work, try this:

Go to your contacts in Outlook, then selects the contacts you want (ctrl+click if you just want certain ones, shift+click to mass selects, etc), then right click and go to "send full contact" and then "in internet format", and then send the email to yourself.  Go to the email, save the contacts you wanted someplace you can find them.

After this, make sure your Captivate is either in "Mass Storage" connect mode or in "ask me" mode.  Plug your phone in with the USB and open up the phone in explorer.  In another window go to where you saved all those .vcf files and then copy them all to your phone.

Unplug your phone when you are done, then go to your contacts app.  Open the menu->more->import/export->import from sd card->phone-> and then whichever option you want (I'd go with all).

Spent 5+ hours trying all the different suggestions (and every different permutation of settings and procedures I could derive from the various programs and dark rituals suggested) before I finally figured this one out.  Hope this helps others - it preserved my contacts, pictures I had assigned them, phone numbers, birthdays, etc, without manually entering them for a day or two, or being forced to sync them with gmail (preventing me from giving them custom ringtones...) and saving me any more headaches with 3rd party programs or Kies or any other ridiculous witchcraft.

Again, hope this helps.

And if you have any questions, feel free to ask - hopefully I can assist.

For those still struggling with this, or those just getting this phone and encountering issues, I have a solution for you.

If you are just trying to get your contacts, and you can't get Kies to work, try this:

Go to your contacts in Outlook, then selects the contacts you want (ctrl+click if you just want certain ones, shift+click to mass selects, etc), then right click and go to "send full contact" and then "in internet format", and then send the email to yourself.  Go to the email, save the contacts you wanted someplace you can find them.

After this, make sure your Captivate is either in "Mass Storage" connect mode or in "ask me" mode.  Plug your phone in with the USB and open up the phone in explorer.  In another window go to where you saved all those .vcf files and then copy them all to your phone.

Unplug your phone when you are done, then go to your contacts app.  Open the menu->more->import/export->import from sd card->phone-> and then whichever option you want (I'd go with all).

Spent 5+ hours trying all the different suggestions (and every different permutation of settings and procedures I could derive from the various programs and dark rituals suggested) before I finally figured this one out.  Hope this helps others - it preserved my contacts, pictures I had assigned them, phone numbers, birthdays, etc, without manually entering them for a day or two, or being forced to sync them with gmail (preventing me from giving them custom ringtones...) and saving me any more headaches with 3rd party programs or Kies or any other ridiculous witchcraft.

Again, hope this helps.

And if you have any questions, feel free to ask - hopefully I can assist.

Samsung Captivate/Outlook Contact syncing solution

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2010 5:14:29 AM
(0)
Expert

that appears to work find for a small amout of contacts, but not when you have a large amount - like 30+

that appears to work find for a small amout of contacts, but not when you have a large amount - like 30+

Re: Samsung Captivate/Outlook Contact syncing solution

2 of 8 (4,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2010 7:11:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

I'm using "CompanionLink" with Gmail for both contacts and calendar and its working prety good and I have nearly 1,000 contacts.  Only issue I get is a duplication on the computer of the alert when the event is due.  I don't get a duplication in the calendar, just the alert.

BreaMark

I'm using "CompanionLink" with Gmail for both contacts and calendar and its working prety good and I have nearly 1,000 contacts.  Only issue I get is a duplication on the computer of the alert when the event is due.  I don't get a duplication in the calendar, just the alert.

BreaMark

3 of 8 (4,769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2010 9:24:19 AM
(0)
Teacher

This actully worked. Sux that I can only do so many at a time and I have to go through each contact to place them in a catagory. Other words it was good.

Is there a way to place them in a catagory without doing each one at a time?

Thanks

This actully worked. Sux that I can only do so many at a time and I have to go through each contact to place them in a catagory. Other words it was good.

Is there a way to place them in a catagory without doing each one at a time?

Thanks

4 of 8 (4,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 9:06:08 AM
(0)
Mentor

Kies is awesome and works great

5 of 8 (4,657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 2:18:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

Rodimus_Prime29 wrote:

How do I use "kies" do I really need to pay $39.99 to use kies? If there's an easy and better way, please let me know what I need to do and how to do it.

Thanks

Rodimus_Prime29 wrote:

How do I use "kies" do I really need to pay $39.99 to use kies? If there's an easy and better way, please let me know what I need to do and how to do it.

Thanks

6 of 8 (4,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2011 2:21:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

twoeggs

I was able to make a copy file of the internet version of all my contacts to a file in my computer but then through the explorer on my computer I was unable to copy the .vcf files to my Captivate. It wouldn't take it. Do I need a version of Outlook on the Captivate first? is there a specific location to install the .vcf files? I can see the drives from my explorer but can't open it even as an empty drive...very confused on the directions here in your post but maybe you can shed some light on it for me.

Stanimal1959

twoeggs

I was able to make a copy file of the internet version of all my contacts to a file in my computer but then through the explorer on my computer I was unable to copy the .vcf files to my Captivate. It wouldn't take it. Do I need a version of Outlook on the Captivate first? is there a specific location to install the .vcf files? I can see the drives from my explorer but can't open it even as an empty drive...very confused on the directions here in your post but maybe you can shed some light on it for me.

Stanimal1959

7 of 8 (2,532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 12:46:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

A better solution for me is to use MyPhoneExplorer. It's free, unless you want to donate, and it really works very very well. In fact, it's the best sync software I've EVER used, because it tells you every instance of a conflict when you update and you can individually decide whether to rely on what's on the phone or what's in Outlook. You need to download a client version to your phone via Market and also the version for your PC; just google to find the pc version. It's very intuitive to use, though it might take a little fiddling to figure out how everything works. Also, it can connect either via USB (engage USB debugging mode, if you're going to do that) or by Wi-fi.

I was so pleased with it I did decide to make a small donation.

Stanimal1959 wrote:

twoeggs

Stanimal1959

A better solution for me is to use MyPhoneExplorer. It's free, unless you want to donate, and it really works very very well. In fact, it's the best sync software I've EVER used, because it tells you every instance of a conflict when you update and you can individually decide whether to rely on what's on the phone or what's in Outlook. You need to download a client version to your phone via Market and also the version for your PC; just google to find the pc version. It's very intuitive to use, though it might take a little fiddling to figure out how everything works. Also, it can connect either via USB (engage USB debugging mode, if you're going to do that) or by Wi-fi.

I was so pleased with it I did decide to make a small donation.

Stanimal1959 wrote:

twoeggs

Stanimal1959

8 of 8 (2,158 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments