Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 29, 2011
10:20:25 AM
View profile
Samsung Captivate Odd Icon

I've noticed a strange icon on the top drop-down box of my screen lately. It looks like two arrows circling each other, located right next to the vibrate icon. It started happening about two weeks ago, and I figured I should ask because I have no idea what it means. I haven't changed any settings that I know of to make the icon diasppear. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I've noticed a strange icon on the top drop-down box of my screen lately. It looks like two arrows circling each other, located right next to the vibrate icon. It started happening about two weeks ago, and I figured I should ask because I have no idea what it means. I haven't changed any settings that I know of to make the icon diasppear. Does anyone have any ideas?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Samsung Captivate Odd Icon

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 12:54:21 PM
(0)
Professor

That looks like the GMail sync icon.

That looks like the GMail sync icon.

Re: Samsung Captivate Odd Icon

2 of 7 (249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 1:19:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Dec 29, 2011 at 1:20:57 PM
Are you able to see it clear enough? The image looks a little distorted from when I uploaded it from my phone...

As far as GMail goes...I usually access my GMail account when Wi-Fi is turned on. My Captivate is a prepaid GoPhone, so it cannot allow 3G data access, either...

Would you or anyone else have any idea on how to disable it?

Are you able to see it clear enough? The image looks a little distorted from when I uploaded it from my phone...

As far as GMail goes...I usually access my GMail account when Wi-Fi is turned on. My Captivate is a prepaid GoPhone, so it cannot allow 3G data access, either...

Would you or anyone else have any idea on how to disable it?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 7 (245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 4:14:26 PM
(0)
Professor
Go into Settings, Accounts and Sync, and check the settings. If the sync icon is green, it's turned on.
Go into Settings, Accounts and Sync, and check the settings. If the sync icon is green, it's turned on.

4 of 7 (233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 7:42:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Background data is enabled.
Auto-sync is disabled.

For account management, my GMail account is set to sync OFF.

Background data is enabled.
Auto-sync is disabled.

For account management, my GMail account is set to sync OFF.

5 of 7 (223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 3:58:24 AM
(0)
Master
That was the sync icon, but it syncs more than just your gmail account. It can sync, contacts, weather, Google+, Google Music, calendar, and many other things.

If the data connection (wifi or cellular) is off for quite a while, the phone will likely try to sync when it is connected to a network again. That is usually the only time when I see the icon myself. After the phone has been off network for several hours.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
That was the sync icon, but it syncs more than just your gmail account. It can sync, contacts, weather, Google+, Google Music, calendar, and many other things.

If the data connection (wifi or cellular) is off for quite a while, the phone will likely try to sync when it is connected to a network again. That is usually the only time when I see the icon myself. After the phone has been off network for several hours.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

6 of 7 (209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 1:58:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Hmm. Well, I guess that's it, then. Although it doesn't solve the mystery completely as to what in particular is being synced, at least I know what it means, now.

Thank you both for your help. Smiley Happy

Hmm. Well, I guess that's it, then. Although it doesn't solve the mystery completely as to what in particular is being synced, at least I know what it means, now.

Thank you both for your help. Smiley Happy

7 of 7 (189 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments