Samsung Captivate Odd Icon

Master

Samsung Captivate Odd Icon

I've noticed a strange icon on the top drop-down box of my screen lately. It looks like two arrows circling each other, located right next to the vibrate icon. It started happening about two weeks ago, and I figured I should ask because I have no idea what it means. I haven't changed any settings that I know of to make the icon diasppear. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 1 of 7 (278 Views)
Professor

Re: Samsung Captivate Odd Icon

That looks like the GMail sync icon.

Message 2 of 7 (259 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]
Are you able to see it clear enough? The image looks a little distorted from when I uploaded it from my phone...

As far as GMail goes...I usually access my GMail account when Wi-Fi is turned on. My Captivate is a prepaid GoPhone, so it cannot allow 3G data access, either...

Would you or anyone else have any idea on how to disable it?

Message 3 of 7 (255 Views)
Professor

Go into Settings, Accounts and Sync, and check the settings. If the sync icon is green, it's turned on.
Message 4 of 7 (243 Views)
Master

Background data is enabled.
Auto-sync is disabled.

For account management, my GMail account is set to sync OFF.

Message 5 of 7 (233 Views)
Master

That was the sync icon, but it syncs more than just your gmail account. It can sync, contacts, weather, Google+, Google Music, calendar, and many other things.

If the data connection (wifi or cellular) is off for quite a while, the phone will likely try to sync when it is connected to a network again. That is usually the only time when I see the icon myself. After the phone has been off network for several hours.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 7 (219 Views)
Master

Hmm. Well, I guess that's it, then. Although it doesn't solve the mystery completely as to what in particular is being synced, at least I know what it means, now.

Thank you both for your help. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7 (199 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.