Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 12, 2010
2:21:47 PM
View profile
Samsung Captivate MS Outlook Sync

Does anyone know how one can syc contacts / email from MS Outlook?  The Samsung Kies worked and when upgraded, it no longer works as it keeps flashing MTP application on the phone. 

Hope someone can help.

Does anyone know how one can syc contacts / email from MS Outlook?  The Samsung Kies worked and when upgraded, it no longer works as it keeps flashing MTP application on the phone. 

Hope someone can help.

Samsung Captivate MS Outlook Sync

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 2:35:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

Try re-booting the phone.  If that doesn't do it, try closing and re-opening Kies.  This happens to me about 20% of the time.  I have noticed if I make sure that bluetooth services are turned off before connecting and that I open Kies before connecting that the odds are better that it will connect correctly the first time.

Try re-booting the phone.  If that doesn't do it, try closing and re-opening Kies.  This happens to me about 20% of the time.  I have noticed if I make sure that bluetooth services are turned off before connecting and that I open Kies before connecting that the odds are better that it will connect correctly the first time.

Re: Samsung Captivate MS Outlook Sync

2 of 13 (16,822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 2:39:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

For wireless sync.

Go to Settings/accounts and sync then add your account.  Follow the steps and it should sync fine.

For Samsung Kies make sure you are on the home screen when you plug in.  Also if you're running another launcher other that TW.Launcher, MTP will not connect with your phone.  Make sure you switch back to TW.Launcher BEFORE you connect your USB.

Should connect and sync fine.  You may have to reestablish your account information, but it should work.

For wireless sync.

Go to Settings/accounts and sync then add your account.  Follow the steps and it should sync fine.

For Samsung Kies make sure you are on the home screen when you plug in.  Also if you're running another launcher other that TW.Launcher, MTP will not connect with your phone.  Make sure you switch back to TW.Launcher BEFORE you connect your USB.

Should connect and sync fine.  You may have to reestablish your account information, but it should work.

3 of 13 (16,821 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2010 7:16:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, there are many ways to sync contacts and email with Outlook.  www.syncdroid.net has a chart that lists software titles, what it syncs (contacts, calendar, notes, tasks, email), whether it uses wireless or USB connections, prices (some free) and more.  It's good to have a helpful site like this.  Smiley Very Happy

Yes, there are many ways to sync contacts and email with Outlook.  www.syncdroid.net has a chart that lists software titles, what it syncs (contacts, calendar, notes, tasks, email), whether it uses wireless or USB connections, prices (some free) and more.  It's good to have a helpful site like this.  Smiley Very Happy

4 of 13 (16,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2010 6:51:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have Windows 7 Professional Edition and Outlook 2010

I've tried Kies and a couple of other suggestions and it's not working when I try an Outlook Sync with either Calendar or Contacts.

I get this error:

"Execution privilege prevents you from accessing Outlook.  Please try again with administrator privilege".  Note that I have started Kies in Admin Mode.

Using Explorer, I can copy files/music to the phone.

thanks for the help.

I have Windows 7 Professional Edition and Outlook 2010

I've tried Kies and a couple of other suggestions and it's not working when I try an Outlook Sync with either Calendar or Contacts.

I get this error:

"Execution privilege prevents you from accessing Outlook.  Please try again with administrator privilege".  Note that I have started Kies in Admin Mode.

Using Explorer, I can copy files/music to the phone.

thanks for the help.

5 of 13 (15,768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2010 1:22:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

Kies does not work here with a Captivate that has updated software or new. Kies has a tether and it appears that AT&T is waiting on a version without it so they can sell their PC modems. Anyway the best way around is to get a Google mail account, set it up and you can sync its calender with Outlook in an auto mode. Contacts need to be exported from Outlook as a cvs file into the Google contacts. I created a seperate folder just for those that I want on the phone. Hopefully an official program will be available soon and in a fully functional version to interact with Outlook. Although the AT&T corporate store people I dealt with were extremely nice they were clueless about this and thought that the phone would sync per what they were told at sales meetings. Samsung support was on it and simply said that Kies is not yet supported in the U.S. Forget the Google, AT&T, etc conspiracy theories, it's all about selling those PC usb modems!

Kies does not work here with a Captivate that has updated software or new. Kies has a tether and it appears that AT&T is waiting on a version without it so they can sell their PC modems. Anyway the best way around is to get a Google mail account, set it up and you can sync its calender with Outlook in an auto mode. Contacts need to be exported from Outlook as a cvs file into the Google contacts. I created a seperate folder just for those that I want on the phone. Hopefully an official program will be available soon and in a fully functional version to interact with Outlook. Although the AT&T corporate store people I dealt with were extremely nice they were clueless about this and thought that the phone would sync per what they were told at sales meetings. Samsung support was on it and simply said that Kies is not yet supported in the U.S. Forget the Google, AT&T, etc conspiracy theories, it's all about selling those PC usb modems!

6 of 13 (15,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2010 3:24:18 PM
(0)
Scholar

They need a program that is as simple as Micrsoft ActiveSync.

7 of 13 (15,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2010 3:16:05 AM
(0)
Expert

txSMT5600 wrote:

then they would have to pay money to license that product.

txSMT5600 wrote:

then they would have to pay money to license that product.

8 of 13 (15,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2010 5:04:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just got a Samsung Captivate this weekend and I am running Kies version 1.5.3.10093_80 on my Windows 7 64bit PC.  These are the two things I changed to successfully sync with my Outlook 2007 Contacts and Calendar and resolve the "Execution privilege prevents you from accessing Outlook" message.

On the Samsung Kies icon, right click and select Properties.

1) SHORTCUT tab: The Start In field said ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Kies".  Remove the extra double quote at the beginning of the field.

2) SECURITY tab: Select your user login, change permissions by clicking Edit and select Full Control.

Now when I click Outlook Sync on either the Kies Contacts or Calendar windows, it actually does some work.  This is only my day 3 with the Captivate so hopefully this works for you (and continues to work for me).

I just got a Samsung Captivate this weekend and I am running Kies version 1.5.3.10093_80 on my Windows 7 64bit PC.  These are the two things I changed to successfully sync with my Outlook 2007 Contacts and Calendar and resolve the "Execution privilege prevents you from accessing Outlook" message.

On the Samsung Kies icon, right click and select Properties.

1) SHORTCUT tab: The Start In field said ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Kies".  Remove the extra double quote at the beginning of the field.

2) SECURITY tab: Select your user login, change permissions by clicking Edit and select Full Control.

Now when I click Outlook Sync on either the Kies Contacts or Calendar windows, it actually does some work.  This is only my day 3 with the Captivate so hopefully this works for you (and continues to work for me).

9 of 13 (13,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 9:11:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

Ok.  I just upgraded Kies and it Outlook sync stopped working.  Here's what you do to "fix it".  There's a new runtime KiesTrayAgent in \ProgramFiles\Samsung\Kies that needs to run in Administrator mode.  So, right click on the file name,

Properties\Compatibility and select Run as Administrator. 

Ok.  I just upgraded Kies and it Outlook sync stopped working.  Here's what you do to "fix it".  There's a new runtime KiesTrayAgent in \ProgramFiles\Samsung\Kies that needs to run in Administrator mode.  So, right click on the file name,

Properties\Compatibility and select Run as Administrator. 

10 of 13 (13,199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2010 7:09:38 PM
(0)
Teacher

Outlook must be open for the Galaxy to sync with Keies. Also you need to be careful when you update again because it will erase your data.  Make a backup first.  And if it tells you it will erase data outlook, you need to reset the sync or you will lose your data.

Outlook must be open for the Galaxy to sync with Keies. Also you need to be careful when you update again because it will erase your data.  Make a backup first.  And if it tells you it will erase data outlook, you need to reset the sync or you will lose your data.

11 of 13 (3,755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2010 10:00:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for the post.  Would have thrown the phone against the wall without it.  So disappointing.  Was excited to upgrade from blackberry curve, but not being able to synch directly to outlook really bothers me, a lot.  Perhaps I should have held out for the IPhone

Thanks for the post.  Would have thrown the phone against the wall without it.  So disappointing.  Was excited to upgrade from blackberry curve, but not being able to synch directly to outlook really bothers me, a lot.  Perhaps I should have held out for the IPhone

12 of 13 (3,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2012 6:11:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

Wow - I can't believe Samsung and/or Droid makes it this difficult to sync Outlook address books.  Every other phone I've had over the years just automatically sync'd with my personal Outlook address book (even phones 8 yrs ago).  I just got the Galaxy Skyrocket and it only syncs with my corporate address book (which doesn't really do me much good).  Strange that someone has made it this difficult in this day.

Wow - I can't believe Samsung and/or Droid makes it this difficult to sync Outlook address books.  Every other phone I've had over the years just automatically sync'd with my personal Outlook address book (even phones 8 yrs ago).  I just got the Galaxy Skyrocket and it only syncs with my corporate address book (which doesn't really do me much good).  Strange that someone has made it this difficult in this day.

13 of 13 (1,879 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments