Samsung Captivate, Galaxy S, android, software update issues

Samsung Captivate, Galaxy S, android, software update issues

I have a Samsung Captivate. I downloaded the JH7 update for it, as it was available when I purchased the phone. Since then, the software update has not been able to connect to the AT&T server. I have tried the 2g network, 3g, and wifi of many different kinds. This is getting frustrating. If there are no updates available, I want to be told when I try to check. When will this be fixed?

Also, this phone has overheated many times. I have just been talking to someone, not for very long, and the phone begins to overheat. It has finally become to much of a problem, and I have contacted at&t for a replacement. As I have had the phone for less than 1 month, and have not done anything to damage it or void the warranty, I am entitled to the full replacement with a new phone, right?

Message 1 of 7 (5,108 Views)
Professor

Re: Samsung Captivate, Galaxy S, android, software update issues

Under waranty, they will replace the phone with a refurbished phone.  However, since you upgraded to android 2.2 outside of at&t channels, it will be considered voiding the waranty.

Message 2 of 7 (5,093 Views)
Contributor

JH7 is not Android 2.2. It is an official 2.1-update1 update delivered by AT&T OTA in late September.

Your warranty is fine.

Message 3 of 7 (5,044 Views)

The replacement within 30 days of the purchase is not through warranty (which would provide a reconditioned replacement).  It's through the point of sale.

• If you purchased the phone at a store, contact that store.
  • If you bought it at a 3rd party website (not att.com), locate that website's support.
  • If you bought it at att.com or over the phone with an AT&T representative, call Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500.  If the person you speak with is made aware that the phone is in its 30 day "buyer's remorse" period, he or she should direct you to the correct department (the one that sold the phone).  Depending on what department or what branch of the website the phone is from, you may also have the option of going to a corporate AT&T store.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 7 (5,004 Views)

Ok. I got a replacement, but they sent me a refurbished phone. The replacement was even worse. It overheated just while talking on it and nothing else. Sometimes it would be hot just sitting there. It was slower than the first was.

I took it back to the store I bought the first one from, and they sent it to Samsung for repairs. I really don't want it back, or another refurb POS. Is there any way I can switch to the Motorola Bravo without incurring extra charges? I like the way the Bravo works, and it seems faster (I played with a friend's). I'd be willing to trade evenly, even though the Bravo is cheaper. Please, please, tell me how I can.

Message 5 of 7 (4,425 Views)
Employee

You can only trade it if its still within 30 days if your upgrade
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 7 (4,348 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

JH7 is the official update. It's still horribly broken, with completely useless GPS, painful lag, and other garbage. Thanks Samsung!

Even if he did flash a Froyo ROM, he can just use Odin to go back to stock firmware, and the baboons that work for AT&T won't be able to tell the difference. 

Message 7 of 7 (4,167 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.