Samsung Captivate Can't Obtain IP Address After 2.2 Update

Tutor

Samsung Captivate Can't Obtain IP Address After 2.2 Update

Ok.. so I did the update yesterday and now I can't connect to my home wi-fi.

It worked fine before yesterday's 2.2 update but now it won't connect.

It tries to connect, it sees my wi-fi.

It says 'obtaining ip address' then it just disconnects and then under wi-fi networks it has my acess point listed as disabled.

Yes I'm using the correct password. Enteed it five times now to make sure.

Yes I've rebooted the phone.

I've tried both wpa and wpa2 settings on my router, doesn't matter.

I've tried forgetting it as well, re-scanned and re-entered password.

My router sees the phone and gives it an IP address but it seems the phone won't accept it.

I've tried even setting the phone ip to static and it doesn't matter either static or dynamic, neither will connect to phone.

Any ideas here as it's rather annoying that I can't use wi-fi now.

Message 1 of 17 (8,131 Views)
Tutor

Re: Samsung Captivate Can't Obtain IP Address After 2.2 Update

Well I fixed it myself..   did a hard reset and now wifi works and phone seems a bit faster..

now I just have to re-install everything.. frak

Message 2 of 17 (8,030 Views)
Scholar

Ah crap! Mine just started this nonsense! It worked fine for two days, and now all of a sudden it pulled the very same stunt yours did. It finds my home network, and tries over and over again to obtain IP address. After several tries, it lists my home network as "Disabled" under the Wi-Fi Networks in settings.

Agh!

Message 3 of 17 (7,986 Views)
Scholar

Someone on the XDA Forums suggested to try a reset of the wifi router. I tried that, and it worked!

Message 4 of 17 (7,977 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have tried everything and nothing works.  Obviously I haven't tried the correct solution!  Reset, reboot and all that [word filter evasion] stuff.  I would give at least a nickle for some informed advice instead of automated 'bots and anecdotal suggestions.  Anyone?  Thanks in advance.  Joe

Message 5 of 17 (7,924 Views)
Contributor

I had the same problem with my Captivate.

Someone said to open the AllShare app and it will connect.  I found this after I solved my own problem.

What I did was hit the reset button on the back of the router.  While it's on just press it with a pen and hold it for 5 seconds.  This will factory reset so you'll lose all your settings - router name, security stuff etc so make a note of it before you do this.

After doing this however, I lost internet connectivity so I had to shut everything, turn the modem on first and wait for it to finish flashing, then the router, then the computer.

All's well now.

Message 6 of 17 (7,580 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for the tip on All Share.  It worked!  I've never used it and didn't need to do anything other that start the app and I was connected.  Good tip!  Now I know what that app is for Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 17 (7,531 Views)
Mentor

use the allshare app. was having the same prolems you are having. allshare worked.

Message 8 of 17 (7,516 Views)
Contributor

Finally the all share app allowed me to reconect again.. its been very fustrating but back online thanks

Message 9 of 17 (7,389 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

Question for those who have the trouble: Are you guys using WEP as your wi-fi encrytion? I never had any problem connect to any of my wi-fi AP (using WPA2) with mine after 2.2 update until I tried to connect to my friend's wi-fi using WEP. I have to type WEP key twice and the second time I try to use the same exact case for letters.

Message 10 of 17 (7,358 Views)
Contributor

Messing with this same problem over the last couple of weeks and finally found a solution that seems to work.  Looks like my network profiles (at least the one for home AP) got corrupted or changed on Android update.  The problems is that fixing these network profiles is not straight forward.

• Asking Android to "Forget" an SSID and re-entering AP info doesn't really seem work.  It doesn't seem to really "forget".
  • Changing the AP's SSID or WEP/WPA key is not feasible for me, I've got 6+ other devices on the home wifi network that would need to be switched.
  • Doing a "factory reset" of phone or equivalent seems to be gross overkill and I don't want to config/copy my settings, apps, contacts again if I don't have to
  • Using AllShare to establish my WiFi connection does work.  AllShare seems to bypass the stored network profile information that is corrupted.  However, it's not persistent.  I don't want to have to launch Allshare everytime I want to connect to WiFi.

Here's what I did.  Download and run an Android marketplace app called "FXR WiFi fix and rescue".  It clears out all your existing network profiles.  Then scan for APs and add phone to your network like it was new.  You only run the wifi fix app once.  Worked like a charm for me. 

Message 11 of 17 (6,208 Views)
Contributor

Used the Fixer App and another one that was on the Marketplace. Still can't get it Wifi to work with version 2.2. Frustrated beyond recognition. Can't find the AllShare app anywhere so i'm basically hosed. AT&T and Samsung are no help whatsoever. Thinking of just working with Insurance to see if i can get another brand of phone.

Message 12 of 17 (6,076 Views)
Master

AllShare come preloaded on your phone.

Message 13 of 17 (6,072 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for that valuable advice--worked like a champ!

It may also be worth noting for others reading this forum that "AllShare" is a pre-installed App on the Samsung Captivate used for Media Sharing. You can easily find it by tapping the "Applications" button in the lower right corner of your Captivate. AllShare should show up first (since it begins with the letter "A" ;-)).

Here was the drill that worked for me on my Samsung Captivate running Froyo (Android 2.2)

1) Open AllShare

2) Select "Access Point Network" (Note the warning "Changing settings value will restart AllShare" which is exactly what you want!)

3) Choose your favorite network from the list. In my case, this was an Open network that I could not connect to.

4) Network should restart and hopefully your Droid should now be happily connected (well, at least it was in my case!)

Message 14 of 17 (5,859 Views)
Contributor

So i have the solution for you guys.

So this is my second phone because the first one had the same problem.

After accidentally hanging up on a higher level tech support twice in a row because i was accidentally hanging up by pressing my side button to get my screen to come on i was looking for ways to turn that option off.  after looking everywhere i held the right side button down for a few seconds and saw those options.  I pressed deactivate data network mode and figure i'd give it a try.  Turn on wi-fi............wi-fi connected!!!!!!!!!!  Sweet.  Hope this helps you guys.

Message 15 of 17 (5,187 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.