Samsung Captivate Bricked

Contributor

Samsung Captivate Bricked

Sooo...

My Samsung Captivate is completely bricked. I woke up this morning and saw my phone saying "Update available" So clicked OK. It went to the next screen saying this will not delete personal data yada yada blah blah all that stuff, and then went to a black screen with "installing update". Well it all looked fine until it said "Update is failed" then "Restarting" and since then, my phone wont turn on or do anything at all. 

I have tried removing the battery and putting it back in; holding down the power button for almost a minute; holding down any buttons in hopes that something will happen.

Someone help please! I hope there is a way to fix this or else I'm gonna have to deal with getting it replaced and re downloading all my apps and stuff like that...

Message 1 of 33 (9,120 Views)
Explorer

Re: Samsung Captivate Bricked

Was your phone rooted?

Message 2 of 33 (9,070 Views)
Contributor

Nope it was not, thought about doing it but never did.

Message 3 of 33 (9,067 Views)
Explorer

Sorry, no ideas for you. I heard there was an issue with rooted phones and the update, but oviously this doesn't apply to you.

Message 4 of 33 (9,060 Views)
Contributor

Dang.... looks like I'm gonna need to take it back to Best Buy then D:

Message 5 of 33 (9,020 Views)
Contributor

Same thing happened to me, It completed the update looked like it was restarting and nothing. Will not start up. I've talked to Samsung and am sending it to them.

Message 6 of 33 (9,008 Views)
Teacher

This issue is AT&T's to deal with. THEY sent out an update that is bricking phones.  

Get to a store and demand they replace it. Use words like cancel if you need to.

Message 7 of 33 (9,004 Views)
Contributor

Happened to me this morning. I called AT&T. AT&T called Samsung. There is no way for you to fix the problem. You will be provided with two choices. Samsung will send you a mailer and you can send it back to them (it will take a week) or AT&T will overnight (may be two business days) a refurb phone. Either way you lose everything in your phone. I decided to have AT&T send me the refurb.

Message 8 of 33 (8,838 Views)
Teacher

Once the update was done it took a a while to start up..  i left it and eventually started. if you intrrupted this then you must have hosed the update .. did not finish.???

Message 9 of 33 (8,714 Views)
Voyager

I just bought my phone 9 days ago. Yesterday night, I tried to update my phone and after a restart, it bricked. Pressing of DOWN (with/without UP) and POWER button didn't help. It is totally died.

Any new suggestion are welcomed Smiley Mad

Message 10 of 33 (8,526 Views)
Professor

jortex wrote:

I just bought my phone 9 days ago. Yesterday night, I tried to update my phone and after a restart, it bricked. Pressing of DOWN (with/without UP) and POWER button didn't help. It is totally died.

Any new suggestion are welcomed Smiley Mad

Only 9 days old? Take it back and have it replaced. You have 30 days from the date of purchase in which you can return it for a new phone if there's a defect.

Message 11 of 33 (6,107 Views)
Voyager

Unfortunately, I bought it from RadioShack. They refused to change my phone. I called AT&T, and they told me that I should go to an AT&T store, which is far from my home. Of course, I haven't any car Smiley Sad(

Message 12 of 33 (6,031 Views)
Tutor

The same thing happened to me.  The OTA update for JH7 can brick the Captivate.  After downloading, the update started, then said "update failed.. your phone will now boot".  But the screen went black and never came back.  I even tried a different charged battery, but the phone was dead.  My phone was stock -- not rooted, no side loaded apps, no lag fix, no changes at all other than installation of market apps.

I went to the AT&T store, and they would not replace my phone on the spot, because I was past the 30 days.  However, we called warranty support, and they will ship me a new (refurb?) phone, which is supposed to have the JH7 update already applied.  If you do this warranty exchange, you must be sure to send back the old (bricked) phone within 14 days, else AT&T will charge you the full price of the phone.

If you are within the 30 day return period, an AT&T store should replace your bricked phone immediately in the store.  If you are not near a store, you can call AT&T, ask for warranty support, and they will send you a phone to exchange.

I really want to love the Captivate, but AT&T and Samsung are making it difficult.  The hardware is great.  Android is great.  But the execution by Samsung and AT&T is terrible.  GPS problems.  Lag problems.  OTA updates that can brick the phone.  Froyo still months away.  I have ordered an iPhone 4 via my employer's plan, primarily to use for corporate email, because I don't want the Exchange security policy to install a lock password on my Captivate.  I will use the iPhone for work and the Captivate for personal, then I can decide through my own use which phone I prefer.

Message 13 of 33 (5,927 Views)
Tutor

The same thing happened to me!   Dead as a Doornail!   AT&T is sending me a new phone, but what a hassle!  This is my first negative experience with the company, but it really is disappointing.  The tech acted like nothing like this had ever happened to anyone else.  Obviously there are a lot of us that have suffered this problem.  Now I don't know whether I want to try to update the new one they send me or not!

Message 14 of 33 (5,891 Views)
Contributor

I heard about the OTA update on the internet today, so I decided to try and update my phone.  Well, until today I also didn't know that Samsung released Kies for the US market on Aug 18, 2010.  I tried the OTA using the "Check for update" and it notified me that an update was present.  I waited until I got home into my FIOS wireless network and hit "resume update".  I got a message stating that my phone will reboot in 5 seconds.  Then it went to the update screen and said 'update is failed. Rebooting phone'.  After that, my phone doesn't turn on!  I tried removing the battery, SIM, etc but nothing worked. This is ridiculous that an official At&t update can brick my stock Captivate!  Any ideas on how to recover?

Message 15 of 33 (5,747 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.