Samsung Captivate Bricked

Contributor

Samsung Captivate Bricked

Sooo...

My Samsung Captivate is completely bricked. I woke up this morning and saw my phone saying "Update available" So clicked OK. It went to the next screen saying this will not delete personal data yada yada blah blah all that stuff, and then went to a black screen with "installing update". Well it all looked fine until it said "Update is failed" then "Restarting" and since then, my phone wont turn on or do anything at all. 

I have tried removing the battery and putting it back in; holding down the power button for almost a minute; holding down any buttons in hopes that something will happen.

Someone help please! I hope there is a way to fix this or else I'm gonna have to deal with getting it replaced and re downloading all my apps and stuff like that...

Message 1 of 33 (9,121 Views)
Tutor

Re: Samsung Captivate Bricked

There is nothing that can be done, from all I have seen.  All you can do now is contact Customer Service and they will begin the process of sending you a new one.  I'm waiting on mine to be delivered tomorrow.

Message 16 of 33 (5,746 Views)
Teacher

Same thing happened to me with a completely stock phone. The download of the update froze at 4%, so after an hour I cancelled it. I then went back to Settings and chose to resume the update. The update started, failed, phone rebooted and now it is completely bricked like everyone else. Had to go through AT&T warranty to get a refurb (had it for 60 days.) It's a bummer because I'd just put on a $20 Invisible Shield screen protector.

Message 17 of 33 (5,665 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I had the same issue and my Captivate would not even turn on.  As I get ready to call for a RA, I did the following and it worked.

1.  Pull the battery, sim card and external sd card from your phone

2.  hold the power button and the vol up and down keys at the same time

3. as you put the battery in, release the power button only

4. It will boot immediately into Download recovery.

5. find a stock captivate all in one downloader and flash the firmware.

6. Have a cup of joe and enjoy your Captivate once again.

Hope it helps

Message 18 of 33 (5,591 Views)
Teacher

Didn't work for me.

Message 19 of 33 (5,439 Views)
Contributor

Same thing happened to me twice, and I bought my phone from Radioshack. They've replaced both phones.

Here's the number to request an RMA. 1-866-276-9578.

Both times my captivate bricked, it was due to some blasted update AT&T pushed out.

Message 20 of 33 (5,304 Views)
Contributor

An AT&T update bricked my 2 day old captivate. Then I waited a week for a replacement. Got the replacement Monday, 09/27, 2010. Today, Thursday 09/30/2010 an AT&T update brick my repalcement Captivate.

I raised so much cane at the AT&Tstore that they gave me the Samsung Tech Support phone number '888-987-4357".

And, you're right. The Tech I spoke with said the bricked phones from the updates are happening all over the country. He said Samsung isn't sure if it's their update or the AT&T update. Told him mine happened both time from the AT&T update.

Also, Samsung will replace your phone due to this problem, and there is a "one year manufactures warranty" on the Captivate.

Message 21 of 33 (4,565 Views)
Contributor

Same thing happened to me twice, and I bought my phone from Radioshack. They've replaced both phones.

Here's the number to request an RMA. 1-866-276-9578.

Both times my captivate bricked, it was due to some blasted update AT&T pushed out.

Message 22 of 33 (4,547 Views)
Tutor

Use mini kies to update your phone in the USA. I wouldn't do any updates OTA. It counts against your data plan every time you try OTA anyway.

Message 23 of 33 (4,506 Views)
Contributor

Frustratingly enough I've had my phone 4 days and the same thing happened.  

Stock phone, attempted the available update, phone is now bricked.  

I've Googled it and tried various options in an attempt to resolve it, but it looks like I'm straight out of luck.  

I've been loving the phone, but I just couldn't believe this.  

I'm heading to the AT&T store tomorrow morning to see if they can replace it as it was their update on a stock phone.  I'll let you know how I get on.

Message 24 of 33 (4,183 Views)
Tutor

I did the update on my second phone (post-brick!) via Kies mini.  It worked flawlessly.  I'm happy to say I've seen some performance improvement.  It seems to me the bricking happens when the phone tries to install an incomplete firmware download.   Don't think I will trust OTA again.

Message 25 of 33 (4,155 Views)
Contributor

Just got back from the AT&T store.  They replaced it without any hassle.  Props where props are due - they handled it well.

Message 26 of 33 (4,135 Views)
Contributor

I just got the text message from ATT telling me that there was an update for my captivate. I figured it was from ATT so it must be safe and proceeded to update my phone. The update did its thing and then shut my phone down as a "reboot". The phone bricked. Dead as a doornail. I have been on with ATT for over 3 hours. They will send me a refurbished phone. My phone is only 3 months old. It has worked great until now. I am so angry. The warranty department transferred me to the android tech support department so they could fix it. They didn't! I will have the refurb in 2 business days as they have waived the express delivery fee ( mighty big of them since it was their issue that caused this.) I am still not happy. I called customer service back and got a manager. She escalated my issue to a higher resolution manager. I want a new phone, as I didn't buy a refurb phone and I did nothing to damage this one. I feel it is ATT's problem due to their update and now I have to deal with a refurb phone?  I am not finished with this yet. I will update as it goes. Beware. Beware.

The phone ws great until this.

Message 27 of 33 (3,564 Views)
Tutor

UPDATE -- the refurbished phone AT&T sent me was flawed.  It would auto-reboot daily, freeze up, hang, and overall had serious perforumance issues.   After trying several solutions (factory reset and new battery) they did finally replace mine with a new  phone.

No problems with this one.    I love this phone but, Sheese.....it takes three to get me to one I can use?

Now I'm waiting on Froyo....and waiting and waiting and waiting . . . .

Message 28 of 33 (3,445 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Mine bricked a couple of days ago. I tried the AT&T update like everyone else and is completely, absolutely dead. The phone is less than 3 weeks old and completely stock. I've tried all possible fixes, and AT&T customer service wanted me to call Samsung, and even offered to tranfer the call to samsung .I refused. I told them I bought the phone from AT&T, it was their update that killed it, mine bricked in an identical way to other owners posting on the internet and AT&T could figure out how to get my phone working or send me a replacement. The new one will be here in a day or so, but it is absolutely ridiculous that this is happening all over the place and customer service seems absolutely clueless about the problem. Why are they still pusing out OTA updates?

Message 29 of 33 (3,228 Views)

Well lets be honest here everyone wants to make ATT out to be the bad guy in this situation, well guess what they aint the bad guy. The truth is this Samsung doesn't get or understands how to program software for north American customers. And you want know why I know this look at the stories about sprint and the Samsung phones having update failures. Go look at bell in Canada guess what there update is bricking the the phone and what ties these events together? Samsung because at the end of the day all Samsung cares about is charging customers way too much for half *#!@ software and services. Now granted no phone or software is perfect but t have this many issues pop in one large major geographical area is appalling. Just goes to show what happens when quality gets thrown away just to make a quick dollar

Message 30 of 33 (3,152 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.