STOLEN iPHONE -- Options -- Can I port my number out and then bring my number back???

Contributor

STOLEN iPHONE -- Options -- Can I port my number out and then bring my number back???

My Upgrade is in 2.5 months, and ATT refuses to budge and let me get a break on my replacement phone!

....OK so I know I have the option of adding the additional phone line, paying the Early Termination Fee and switching SIMs.

Now here is my next option that I haven't seen posted about: what if I transfer my number to another company. Wait a few days, and come back to ATT. If I come back to ATT within 59 days, I do NOT have to pay the Early Termination fee which is a plus. But once I go to the store, will they sell me a new phone??? If you can help, I'd really appreciate it. I am trying to research which would be my best bet.

Message 1 of 7 (1,565 Views)
Expert

Re: STOLEN iPHONE -- Options -- Can I port my number out and then bring my number back???

natashandwhat wrote:

My Upgrade is in 2.5 months, and ATT refuses to budge and let me get a break on my replacement phone!

....OK so I know I have the option of adding the additional phone line, paying the Early Termination Fee and switching SIMs.

Now here is my next option that I haven't seen posted about: what if I transfer my number to another company. Wait a few days, and come back to ATT. If I come back to ATT within 59 days, I do NOT have to pay the Early Termination fee which is a plus. But once I go to the store, will they sell me a new phone??? If you can help, I'd really appreciate it. I am trying to research which would be my best bet.

won;t work - you can port out pay the etf and stay and the new carrier, but if you port out and come back you will pay full retail for the phone. Buy one on ebay, buy a cheap att gophone for the balance of your upgrade period or pay the etf and go to a different company.

If you decide to go the gophone / ebay and you have a unlimited data plan make sure you go to a smarthpone or you will lose the grandfahter status

Message 2 of 7 (1,562 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: STOLEN iPHONE -- Options -- Can I port my number out and then bring my number back???

Thanks for your help. I was unsure whether this would work or not and def don't want to go the extra step if it isn't going to work.

I think what I am going to do is buy an iphone on a second line, hope I can atleast get a free SIM card thrown in and pay the ETF on that line. Therefore, at least when the 5 comes out, I can still use my upgrade.

Message 3 of 7 (1,557 Views)

You'll have to keep the second line at least a month. If you cancel within the buyer's remorse period, I believe you have to return the phone or pay its full retail price.

You don't know anyone who has an old iPhone sitting around that they can sell or lend you for 2 months?

Message 4 of 7 (1,552 Views)
Contributor

Thanks -- I didn't know I had to wait until after the first month. Essential for me to know.

***I wish I had someone who had a phone laying around. I don't even have other options to other phones available.

Message 5 of 7 (1,546 Views)
Guru

It would probably be cheaper to just buy a used iPhone off eBay/Craigslist than get a new line and pay for the ETF and less of a hassle also.
Message 6 of 7 (1,545 Views)

I second what Facci is saying. A new phone will cost you $199/$299/$399 + taxes + activation fee + 1st month's service (incl. taxes) + most of a $325 ETF. You can certainly find a used iPhone for less.

Message 7 of 7 (1,494 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.