SMS/Text Messages Transfer :: SIM Card :: Still Use Old iPhone?

SMS/Text Messages Transfer :: SIM Card :: Still Use Old iPhone?

A few questions...

1. Will AT&T automatically transfer all of my old SMS/text messages from my old iPhone when upgrading to the iPhone 4S, or any future iPhone?

2. Does the iPhone 4S come with a SIM card or do you have to purchase one separately?... 

I'm wondering about this because I have seen a few videos of the iPhone 4S unboxing/reviews where it would say the phone was missing a SIM card, or that one had to be inserted. I've also read that Verizon & Sprint don't come with SIM cards, but that AT&T does, so I'm a little confused if the AT&T iPhones automatically come with one.

3. Should I decide to upgrade, will I still be able to use my old iPhone to use for other things, or will it not be functional at all?

Message 1 of 3
Scholar

Re: SMS/Text Messages Transfer :: SIM Card :: Still Use Old iPhone?

HelloKitty007 wrote:

A few questions...

1. Will AT&T automatically transfer all of my old SMS/text messages from my old iPhone when upgrading to the iPhone 4S, or any future iPhone?

As long as you have backed up your phone before upgrading, your messages should be restored along with the rest of your settings when you restore that backup to your new phone.

2. Does the iPhone 4S come with a SIM card or do you have to purchase one separately?... 

I'm wondering about this because I have seen a few videos of the iPhone 4S unboxing/reviews where it would say the phone was missing a SIM card, or that one had to be inserted. I've also read that Verizon & Sprint don't come with SIM cards, but that AT&T does, so I'm a little confused if the AT&T iPhones automatically come with one.

The phones come with a SIM already installed. What you are seeing is hardware problems which have cropped up where the SIM is installed, but the phone can't / won't recognize it. You do not have to buy a SIM separately, it is included with your phone.

3. Should I decide to upgrade, will I still be able to use my old iPhone to use for other things, or will it not be functional at all?

If you want to use it as a phone, you'll have to add a new line. If you just want to use it as an iPod, etc. there are a multitude of webpages out there which demonstrate how to do so.

Message 2 of 3

Re: SMS/Text Messages Transfer :: SIM Card :: Still Use Old iPhone?

Is it cheaper to add a line to an existing account than it would be if I were a brand new customer, or would you say the monthly bill would be similar?

Having the original iPhone grandfathers me to keep the unlimited data plan (up an extra $10 for the upgrade). However, I wonder about the text messaging. I'm eligible for an upgrade and it gave an option to keep the unlimited data, but nothing about the messaging service, so... Would I have to call AT&T to add that extra $20 for the service, or will my original plan be completely transferred over to the new iPhone4S?

BTW, did you purchase your phone online or at the Apple Store? Thinking about purchasing online, but not sure. When the original iPhone came out, people just purchased their phone(s), went home and signed into iTunes.  What is the process when you go to the Apple Store now? 

Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Additional Support