SIM Not allowed - Using Unlocked iPhone for text and calling only (no data plan)

Contributor

SIM Not allowed - Using Unlocked iPhone for text and calling only (no data plan)

Is it possible to use an unlocked iPhone on AT&T without signing up for a data plan?  I had intended to give my old iPhone phone to another member of our AT&T family plan.  This is for an older family member who doesn't need or want a data plan.  They just need the iphone's better keyboard for their occasional texting.  When I swap in her SIM card it says "No signal" and in Settings--> General --> Network it says "SIM not allowed"  AT&T just unlocked this phone for me.  What is going on?

Message 1 of 3 (1,472 Views)
Master

Re: SIM Not allowed - Using Unlocked iPhone for text and calling only (no data plan)

ATT's policy is that if you use an iPhone on their network, or any smartphone, it must have a data plan.  you can check out google and look for go-phone options.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 3 (1,469 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: SIM Not allowed - Using Unlocked iPhone for text and calling only (no data plan)

Just guessing here but perhaps it s an old sim that is not compatible with the iPhone because locked or not, another AT&T sim should work. Perhaps it is a good thing it didn't because a data plan would have been added automatically.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3 (1,432 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.