SIM Not allowed - Using Unlocked iPhone for text and calling only (no data plan)

Contributor

SIM Not allowed - Using Unlocked iPhone for text and calling only (no data plan)

Is it possible to use an unlocked iPhone on AT&T without signing up for a data plan?  I had intended to give my old iPhone phone to another member of our AT&T family plan.  This is for an older family member who doesn't need or want a data plan.  They just need the iphone's better keyboard for their occasional texting.  When I swap in her SIM card it says "No signal" and in Settings--> General --> Network it says "SIM not allowed"  AT&T just unlocked this phone for me.  What is going on?

Message 1 of 3
Master

Re: SIM Not allowed - Using Unlocked iPhone for text and calling only (no data plan)

ATT's policy is that if you use an iPhone on their network, or any smartphone, it must have a data plan.  you can check out google and look for go-phone options.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: SIM Not allowed - Using Unlocked iPhone for text and calling only (no data plan)

Just guessing here but perhaps it s an old sim that is not compatible with the iPhone because locked or not, another AT&T sim should work. Perhaps it is a good thing it didn't because a data plan would have been added automatically.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support