Wireless Forums

Posted Feb 11, 2011
7:08:00 PM
View profile
SIM Card [Memory] Questions
My Samsung Mythic's touch screen stopped responding a little longer than a week ago. During the course of nine days, I have received 29 new unread text messages, 6 missed calls, and 5 new voicemails; all of which I have absolutely no access to.

I have a Samsung Captivate coming in the mail to replace my Mythic, and was wondering about how to obtain those missed alerts...

1.) The messages, voicemails, and missed calls are saved on the SIM card, not the phone's memory, right? So if I were to insert my SIM into the new Captivate, the missed messages, calls, and voicemails would show up on the Captivate's screen? I think that they would be saved on the SIM card instead of my Mythic's memory, but I'm not completely sure...

2. I had around 70 or so contacts saved to my Mythic's memory. Although, I think I may have saved a select few (not many) to my SIM card. The majority were saved on my phone's memory, as I had thought I would keep it awhile; I guess not.
So my questions is; is there any way to obtain the contacts that were saved on my Mythic's memory? There's no way to move them to my SIM or manually enter them into my Captivate because the touch screen is not responsive...

Thanks for a reply...

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

My Samsung Mythic's touch screen stopped responding a little longer than a week ago. During the course of nine days, I have received 29 new unread text messages, 6 missed calls, and 5 new voicemails; all of which I have absolutely no access to.

I have a Samsung Captivate coming in the mail to replace my Mythic, and was wondering about how to obtain those missed alerts...

1.) The messages, voicemails, and missed calls are saved on the SIM card, not the phone's memory, right? So if I were to insert my SIM into the new Captivate, the missed messages, calls, and voicemails would show up on the Captivate's screen? I think that they would be saved on the SIM card instead of my Mythic's memory, but I'm not completely sure...

2. I had around 70 or so contacts saved to my Mythic's memory. Although, I think I may have saved a select few (not many) to my SIM card. The majority were saved on my phone's memory, as I had thought I would keep it awhile; I guess not.
So my questions is; is there any way to obtain the contacts that were saved on my Mythic's memory? There's no way to move them to my SIM or manually enter them into my Captivate because the touch screen is not responsive...

Thanks for a reply...

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

SIM Card [Memory] Questions

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 8:44:43 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Planet-Ed on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:51:00 PM

Wild Banchi wrote:

Most of the time the answer will be no.

Messages are normally stored on the phones memory.  Very few phones nowadays save then by default to the SIM card since the SIM card has so little memory storage.

Voicemails should be stored on AT&T voicemail system.  You should be able to access from a different phone:

Access voicemail from a landline phone

1. Place a call to the wireless number and do not answer.
  2. Interrupt the greeting by pressing the star key (*).
  3. When prompted, enter voicemail password. (The default/temporary password is the 7 digit wireless number--no area code.)
  4. Below is the navigation path for the voicemail system. If there are any problems, please contact Customer Care for assistance.

Missed calls will be on the phone and not the SIM card.

Wild Banchi wrote:

Have you tried using Samsung's PC Sync Studio software to connect your phone to your computer.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/SGH-A897ZKAATT

Wild Banchi wrote:

Most of the time the answer will be no.

Messages are normally stored on the phones memory.  Very few phones nowadays save then by default to the SIM card since the SIM card has so little memory storage.

Voicemails should be stored on AT&T voicemail system.  You should be able to access from a different phone:

Access voicemail from a landline phone

1. Place a call to the wireless number and do not answer.
  2. Interrupt the greeting by pressing the star key (*).
  3. When prompted, enter voicemail password. (The default/temporary password is the 7 digit wireless number--no area code.)
  4. Below is the navigation path for the voicemail system. If there are any problems, please contact Customer Care for assistance.

Missed calls will be on the phone and not the SIM card.

Wild Banchi wrote:

Have you tried using Samsung's PC Sync Studio software to connect your phone to your computer.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/SGH-A897ZKAATT

Re: SIM Card [Memory] Questions

[ Edited ]
2 of 9 (2,643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 8:50:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Alright, thanks, Planet-Ed, for all of that. So, there's logically no way to read the 29 new messages that I have? :smileytongue: I just wanted some clarification, and there it is. Thanks again.

Alright, thanks, Planet-Ed, for all of that. So, there's logically no way to read the 29 new messages that I have? :smileytongue: I just wanted some clarification, and there it is. Thanks again.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (2,635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 8:52:15 PM
(0)
Master

Not unless the Samsung sync software can access thos when the phone is connected to the computer.  Look at my post above.  I edited with the link while you were replying.

Not unless the Samsung sync software can access thos when the phone is connected to the computer.  Look at my post above.  I edited with the link while you were replying.

4 of 9 (2,633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 8:56:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Nope, I have never used PC Studio. I didn't think I would ever need it, considering I only used talk and text on my Mythic.

Nope, I have never used PC Studio. I didn't think I would ever need it, considering I only used talk and text on my Mythic.

5 of 9 (2,630 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 9:08:42 PM
(0)
Master

you should still be able to install the software on your computer and connect your phone.

you should still be able to install the software on your computer and connect your phone.

6 of 9 (2,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 6:33:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

regarding contacts; there is almost always a utility or function on the phone to copy all contacts to the sim in batch.  Look under tools, contact management, or simmanagement.

regarding contacts; there is almost always a utility or function on the phone to copy all contacts to the sim in batch.  Look under tools, contact management, or simmanagement.

7 of 9 (2,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 2:20:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

cwrig wrote:

You're right, I probably should have saved them just to be safe. But remember, the Mythic is an ALL touchscreen phone - if it does not work, there is no way to get to SIM Management/any other setting. The only thing I can do with it is receive calls, and use the camera. Without flash. :smileyindifferent:

cwrig wrote:

You're right, I probably should have saved them just to be safe. But remember, the Mythic is an ALL touchscreen phone - if it does not work, there is no way to get to SIM Management/any other setting. The only thing I can do with it is receive calls, and use the camera. Without flash. :smileyindifferent:

8 of 9 (2,529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 3:34:16 PM
(0)
Scholar
If ucould get to another Mythic and see the button sequences,side by side,u could go to sim manager and tryto save the messages to sim.
HTH.
If ucould get to another Mythic and see the button sequences,side by side,u could go to sim manager and tryto save the messages to sim.
HTH.

9 of 9 (2,520 Views)