SAMSUNG lied about memory expansion on the FOCUS! The manuals and literature deceived me! BEWARE!

SAMSUNG lied about memory expansion on the FOCUS! The manuals and literature deceived me! BEWARE!

So, how come the FOCUS is unable to use memory expansion like the manual and box says? SAMSUNG lies to their customers and AT&T should have explained it before I bought the phone! The inability to have more than 8GB of memory on a smartphone in 2011 is pretty sad!

Message 1 of 11 (1,303 Views)
Expert

Re: SAMSUNG lied about memory expansion on the FOCUS! The manuals and literature deceived me! BEWARE

Megatron63 wrote:

So, how come the FOCUS is unable to use memory expansion like the manual and box says? SAMSUNG lies to their customers and AT&T should have explained it before I bought the phone! The inability to have more than 8GB of memory on a smartphone in 2011 is pretty sad!

have a 32gb kingston class 4 with 29.8gb in use in the focus. memory card support is hit and miss. Not proof that it is the fault of either the phone design or the OS, could be either or both. there is a list floating around on the net and maybe even someplace in this forum that shows the cards that are most likely to work

Message 2 of 11 (1,266 Views)
Mentor

Re: SAMSUNG lied about memory expansion on the FOCUS! The manuals and literature deceived me! BEWARE

I also have a 32 g card in mine, works well, got it from Amazon, but took two tries to get a working card.

Message 3 of 11 (1,244 Views)

Message 4 of 11 (1,125 Views)
Scholar

Nice, finally a list of possible SD Cards to use.. I've been holding off until MS or Samsung came out with a verified list.. I wonder if this issue was touched on at all with the latest updates.. Might be a good time to try a SD Card now seeing we have a semi-verified list and my Fous has been updated with both preNoDo and NoDo.
Message 5 of 11 (1,114 Views)
Teacher

Be very careful about this list.  It is not regularly updated and even those cards that have been reported as "working" have given problems to some users.  I would never look at this list as an "approved" list or anything of the sort.  The one card that people point to is a 16GB Class 2 Samsung sold by "nikolai" or someone like that on either ebay or amazon.  This is all very old information and you need to be careful when using it.  I have had a 16GB Class 2 SanDisk since late December of last year and have had no issues with it but would NEVER recommend it or any other card to a fellow Focus owner.

Message 6 of 11 (1,093 Views)
Scholar

This came up in another thread and I did some checking and believe it or not on page 10 in the Focus's manual online here at AT&T it says and I quote "Wow I was skeptical about that statement too until I checked.. Yes the Focus online manual at AT&T's support site does say 
"Approved cards can be obtained from the manufacturer or Mobile Operator. (SanDisk 8GB class 2 microSD
card has been certified.)Approved cards can be obtained from themanufacturer or Mobile Operator. (SanDisk 8GB class 2 microSDcard has been certified.)"..
Guess that says it all...

Message 7 of 11 (1,085 Views)
Contributor

Message 8 of 11 (978 Views)
Contributor

Careful out there - even class-specific cards from same manufacturer may behave differently. Class doesn't measure what matters, so different SKUs may work or not. I tried one of the 'safe' Sandisk Class 2 8Gb cards, and it was unstable.

What's really disappointing is AT&T sells the 8gb card that does work, for $80. A total rip-off.

Message 9 of 11 (810 Views)
Tutor

I have a Sandisk 32gb class class4 installed. It has worked great. I got it from Amazon also. If the card causes instabilty , you remove the card, then reset your phone (again). The card is bricked and can be used as a guitar pick.
Message 10 of 11 (703 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Just curious, has anyone experienced a battery life drop because of the SD card? I love my Focus but the battery life is not exactly anything to write home about, If a card is added, that would only be useful for media play, and battery life would suffer...

Also, from experience with a Sandisk Fuze, just adding the microSD to the Fuze (empty) impacted its battery life noticeably... Any such experience with the Focus?

Message 11 of 11 (586 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.