SAMSUNG GALAXY S II LTE 11/06 !!!!

Scholar

SAMSUNG GALAXY S II LTE 11/06 !!!!

Message 1 of 50

Re: SAMSUNG GALAXY S II LTE 11/06 !!!!

FredW wrote:

LuvrGirl wrote:

I'm kinda thinking I'll probably just go ahead and order the GS2 right now because I want the faster processor. Once the LTE model is in stores I'll go check it out and I'll be able to compare the two and if so I can just go ahead and return the current model and opt for the LTE model.

The LTE model has a faster processor.  1.2 dual core vs. 1.5 dual core.

I just wish I could find the battery life data for the LTE model.  I have found several sites that give specs, but the battery life data is blank.  I am thinking it must be incredibly  bad.  If the battery life were close to the same, I would probably take my GS2 back and trade up to the LTE version.

No, it isn't.  Clock speed isn't everything.  The Qualcomm APQ8060 has been routinely proven to be significantly slower than the Exynos at an equivalent clock rate - so when clocked 300 MHz higher, it is just barely able to keep up with the Exynos.

Having to run at a higher clock to achieve equivalent performance USUALLY means significantly higher power consumption - Look at the Pentium 4 as a classic example of this from history.  The P4's architecture was highly inefficient per clock cycle, but in theory, it was supposed to ramp to something silly like 8-10 GHz on Intel's roadmap.  Well, Intel was never able to solve the thermal walls preventing them from going much above 3 GHz.  The general rule of thumb was - Take a P3 or Athlon XP's clock rate, multiply it by 1.5, and you get the clock speed a P4 had to hit to match it.

It isn't as bad for the Snappy - but it's still pretty bad.

I know one of the other I777 ROM developers over on XDA went to a T-Mobile store and played with their GSII, which has the same CPU as the Skyrocket - the device was laggy, the UI stuttered, all in all the user experience was inferior.

Message 16 of 50

Donovan, What do you mean by "turn off data", and how do you do that?  I'm assuming when you do that, your phone gets absolutely no data, meaning most apps don't work.

I have never been able to get more than day's use out of my GS2 before the battery needs charged.  I have wifi, bluetooth, and GPS turned off almost always.

Message 17 of 50
Scholar

CincinnatiDan wrote:

Donovan, What do you mean by "turn off data", and how do you do that?  I'm assuming when you do that, your phone gets absolutely no data, meaning most apps don't work.

I have never been able to get more than day's use out of my GS2 before the battery needs charged.  I have wifi, bluetooth, and GPS turned off almost always.

Settings>Wireless and network>Mobile Networks>uncheck Use Packet data.  this stops use of AT&T Data but you can still use your wifi with this turned off, I keep my data turned off until I am out or wifi range be it at work or home. Good way to stay below your data cap, I haven't come close to hitting my data cap since I went to smartphones..  

I wish there was a way to add a "Data" toggle widget or add one to the pu;; down menu instead of having to go through Settings>Wireless and network>Mobile Networks>uncheck Use Packet data everytime I want to shut it down.. TIPS ANYONE?? Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 50
Master

pmt1209 wrote:

CincinnatiDan wrote:

Settings>Wireless and network>Mobile Networks>uncheck Use Packet data.  this stops use of AT&T Data but you can still use your wifi with this turned off, I keep my data turned off until I am out or wifi range be it at work or home. Good way to stay below your data cap, I haven't come close to hitting my data cap since I went to smartphones..  

I wish there was a way to add a "Data" toggle widget or add one to the pu;; down menu instead of having to go through Settings>Wireless and network>Mobile Networks>uncheck Use Packet data everytime I want to shut it down.. TIPS ANYONE?? Smiley Happy

Pull down the notification window and toggle the data button (did you not skim through the manual?) Or use a widget app from the Market like this one. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.curvefish.widgets.apnonoff
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 19 of 50
Master

I have one for you. Press the power button and hold it as if you were going to turn off the phone. When the options menu pops up, look for "Data network mode". If you have the data network activated, it will say "Data network mode activated." When you want to turn the network off, just tap it and it will turn off. 3G will then disable.

When you want to turn it back on, do the same thing and tap it again. Then it will turn on. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 20 of 50
Highlighted
Scholar

Is it just my GS2 but this option is not available in either the pull down menu or when I hold the power button(when I hold the power button my choices are "Silent Mode"-Flight mode" or "Power Off")?? And yes my data "Use Packet data" is on at the time I checked these options..
Message 21 of 50
Master

Really? Huh. The Galaxy S II must be an exception, then. I tried this with my Captivate and I get the same three options with a fourth option to toggle the data network on or off.

I guess you'll have to do it the long way after all... Smiley Sad

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 22 of 50
Professor

Try downloading the 'Data Enabler Widget' from the android market.  It is a simple toggle for data.

Message 23 of 50

CincinnatiDan wrote:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1308030

Message 24 of 50
Mentor

I was so going to pony up bout 450$ for this phone, currently have infuse. However one i really dug into it i decided to wait,

dont get me wrong its a phone that will be a great thing nice screen fast LTE nice dodads and so on ,However its running gingerbread?

Really? gingerbread? nexus is running ICS, came out a month ago, and this unreleased phone is going to run gignerbread

er um Its kinda like getting a porche without a sound system!

Message 25 of 50
Master

Galaxy Nexus will be the only one running ICS this year. And it is not even out yet (11/17). You won't see any other phones running ICS until 2012.

Message 26 of 50
Mentor

odd really wife had hers for 2 days ordered online pretty cool to only thing i hate is the face rec lock! CANT SPY ON WIFE!

Message 27 of 50
Master

chinefoo wrote:

odd really wife had hers for 2 days ordered online pretty cool to only thing i hate is the face rec lock! CANT SPY ON WIFE!

She must be lucky. Verizon (the only one carries Galaxy  Nexus  in US so far) won't even confirm when it will be on sale. Offical released daate for Europe is 11/17. Rumors and leaks for Verizon are 11/17 as well but there is no official date announced.

Yes, it will be perferable to have ICS on the new phone you purchase. But expecting ICS show up on anything other Nexus phones in next  6 months is unrealistic.

Message 28 of 50
Mentor

yea i called her and asked how she got it after pointing out all the info  about the phone,

she is currently working as a phd for %$#@!$% ,cant tell name of school, she said she has access to to research firms and is allowed to test/troubleshoot  many dif products had that thunderbolt 2 months before its release i can tell you tho that phone makes the thunderbot look slow! and yes she is on verison and yes they did get a bit of a shock when she id'd the s/n on phone to get it going!

but i can also say ICS on the samsung is really something to behold just like when infuse came out !

Message 29 of 50
Master

chinefoo wrote:

but i can also say ICS on the samsung is really something to behold just like when infuse came out !

So, what you are telling me is that ICS is lame ? Smiley Happy

Infuse was announced couple months AFTER Galaxy S2 (international version) and overall is an underwhelming phone.

Message 30 of 50
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support