SAMSUNG GALAXY S II LTE 11/06 !!!!

Scholar

SAMSUNG GALAXY S II LTE 11/06 !!!!

Message 1 of 50 (1,712 Views)

Re: SAMSUNG GALAXY S II LTE 11/06 !!!!

If you want to know what this really means, ask any Verizon user.

LTE = battery-hogging fatty phone.

Also, the Skyrocket has a Qualcomm Snapdragon, which means that the high CPU clock speed means nothing - it performs on par with if not worse than the Exynos despite the higher clock, while eating more battery.

It's almost identical hardware to the T-Mobile GSII (T989) - if you're the type who likes to flash custom ROMs, take a look at the T989 forums on XDA if you want to know what's in store for you.  (Hint:  It's not a pretty sight over there...  They don't even have custom kernels beyond initramfs repacks, while the I777 had Cyanogenmod on launch day!)

Message 2 of 50 (1,579 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the info.

FWIW, regarding the battery life of AT&T's LTE phones: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12261_7-20118946-10356022/at-t-our-lte-phones-will-be-thinner-more-effi...

I have been looking into what would be my first smart phone. Not sure what I am going to get, but at least AT&T is finally releasing some LTE phones (yeah, only a few LTE cities, but they gotta start somewhere).

I was looking at Samsung Infuse, then the Samsung Galaxy S II, then the Motorola Atrix 2, now there's the Samsung Galaxy S II LTE... what to do, what to do. I understand that you can't wait for the "next" thing, if you do, then you will never get it. I'll probably get one of em for the heck of it someday... whatever the 'latest' one will be at that time, I guess.

Message 3 of 50 (1,576 Views)
Mentor

Myself having the infuse i would if i were you and "if your in a LTE"  city then go with the latest ! if not then save a few bucks go with atrix or infuse!

now facts SMARTPHONE  = battery hog@!!!  the focus seems to defy this windoz based!

but if your used to days of not charging then your not going to be happy!

i have seen in all forums from xda to android to windows verison tmobile sprint.  all have a commin whine smartphones as a rule are underpowered, <depends also on how you use them>,

imo, these phones are more like tablets than phones so keep this in mind when shopping,

Message 4 of 50 (1,514 Views)
Teacher

I've been researching both versions of the GS2 and it does look like the Qualcomm chip will be slower than the Exynos. I was hoping that was going to change and they would keep the latter on the LTE version for AT&T - but I guess not.

No LTE in Los Angeles yet and who knows by when it will be up and running. I think I prefer to have a quicker, snappier processing phone vs higher internet speeds.

Message 5 of 50 (1,473 Views)
Mentor

OOOO if only i had a penny for eeveryone that said i dont need internet speed! lol 1st smartphone? the min you figure out what you can do with whatever phone you want "id say a week" your going to post about shoulda waited!

Message 6 of 50 (1,458 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

I am trying to decide on my first smart phone, but my wife has had her first smartpone (Samsung Infuse) since July, so I play with that one.

Message 7 of 50 (1,455 Views)
Professor

I may stop in and look on Sunday.  I have the S II now, and I have until 11/14 to return it.  I am concerned about the battery life, though.  I can't find any data on that.  Samsung gives that in the specs for all of thier phones except this one, which is scary.  I would love to have a phone that is LTE-ready, but I can't take a reduction in battery life.

Message 8 of 50 (1,425 Views)
Teacher

Battery life does seem to have a lot to do with how you use the phone.

When I first got my GSII I played with it and tried to learn how it all works.  After that I started turning stuff off that I don't use regularly.  I turned off the GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth.  I don't see any point in having that stuff on when I'm not using it.  Then I discovered where to turn off the data.  I only turn on the data and other things when I need them now.

Currently, with light to moderate use (mostly voice with a little GPS and data), my phone has gone 3 days and 18 hours without a battery charge, and it's still going (it's showing 18% charge left).  I'm going to put it on the charger in a few minutes because I don't want it to go dead while I'm at work tonight.

If I didn't have to put it on the charger for work tonight I'm sure it would have gone 4 days (only 6 more hours to be at 4 days) of continuous service without a charge.

Message 9 of 50 (1,408 Views)
Master

Both are beautiful phones. The Galaxy S II has nicer looks over the Galaxy S II LTE, though. The names are too similar, too. It could eventually pose some confusion between the two devices.

I just can't help but wonder, though...WHY did AT&T release the Galaxy S II later than Sprint when they have these beauties coming right up the alley this Sunday? It doesn't make much sense to me, unless they're trying to lure buyers away from the Galaxy S II so they'll either switch to the Galaxy S II LTE or the new HTC Vivid. Not good planning, I think...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 10 of 50 (1,390 Views)
Teacher

I'm kinda thinking I'll probably just go ahead and order the GS2 right now because I want the faster processor. Once the LTE model is in stores I'll go check it out and I'll be able to compare the two and if so I can just go ahead and return the current model and opt for the LTE model.

Message 11 of 50 (1,034 Views)
Scholar

We Don't have LTE in my area and probably won't until around the time I'll be ready for a new phone, apparently LTE preferred processor used in the skyrocket is inferior to our Galaxy 2's processor and will be less battery efficient so I will happily keep my Galaxy S2. The newest isn't always threw best!!
Message 12 of 50 (973 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

OK someone has to tell me why my last post which I made from my Galaxy S2 says "Posted from SonyEricsson LT15i"???

I never had a LT15i whatever phone that is.. very strange I must say..

Message 13 of 50 (946 Views)
Master

@pmt1209
The website doesn't recognize newer devices for the "posted from mobile" signature.

A mod can fix it, but you will need to send them a PM.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 50 (928 Views)
Professor

LuvrGirl wrote:

I'm kinda thinking I'll probably just go ahead and order the GS2 right now because I want the faster processor. Once the LTE model is in stores I'll go check it out and I'll be able to compare the two and if so I can just go ahead and return the current model and opt for the LTE model.

The LTE model has a faster processor.  1.2 dual core vs. 1.5 dual core.

I just wish I could find the battery life data for the LTE model.  I have found several sites that give specs, but the battery life data is blank.  I am thinking it must be incredibly  bad.  If the battery life were close to the same, I would probably take my GS2 back and trade up to the LTE version.

Message 15 of 50 (926 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.