Router and Microcell Mystery Solved - May help others

Teacher

Router and Microcell Mystery Solved - May help others

Well after playing for a while with my new Microcell, I finally had a breakthrough to get it

to work.  My router is a Syswan SW24 which has 2 WAN interfaces (DSL and Cable in my case).

The roiuter is too sophsiticated for it's own good and after playing and a few emails, I discovered

the answer - very simple.  I would have to think this too might help other with off-brand routers.

The trick was to DISABLE IPSEC PASSTHROUGH - Opposite of what AT&T tells you.  Syswan

analyzed this and because of the way the Microcell handles the IPSEC communications, passthrough

actually stops it from working correctly.  I just disabled this option and it started to work fine!

I did not have to port forward but kept the static IP on my LAN.

There is a blog post that explains it near the bottom  1492 MTU is also required.

hal2020.com/2010/12/20/syswan-or-cisco/

Message 1 of 7 (1,193 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Router and Microcell Mystery Solved - May help others

smr2112 wrote:

Well after playing for a while with my new Microcell, I finally had a breakthrough to get it

to work.  My router is a Syswan SW24 which has 2 WAN interfaces (DSL and Cable in my case).

The roiuter is too sophsiticated for it's own good and after playing and a few emails, I discovered

the answer - very simple.  I would have to think this too might help other with off-brand routers.

The trick was to DISABLE IPSEC PASSTHROUGH - Opposite of what AT&T tells you.  Syswan

analyzed this and because of the way the Microcell handles the IPSEC communications, passthrough

actually stops it from working correctly.  I just disabled this option and it started to work fine!

I did not have to port forward but kept the static IP on my LAN.

There is a blog post that explains it near the bottom  1492 MTU is also required.

hal2020.com/2010/12/20/syswan-or-cisco/

I'm glad you got yours to work. Others haven't been so lucky. The IPSec pass-through "fix" may be specific to your router. Mine is enabled by default and works just fine. Also, an MTU of 1492 is not always required. Mine is at 1500 and works with no problems. This just illustrates the fact that AT&T should have done more in-house testing with various routers and configurations before releasing it. There are just too many variables out there for it to work right out of the box for everyone.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7 (1,189 Views)
Contributor

Hey, I have the same router as yours. 

Were you able to get yours activitated at all?

My activation fails. 

Also, you said when you changed the settings it started working right away but did you have to activate it again first?

My micro cell WAS working fine with my current setup.. someone accidentally unplugged it and when I plugged it back in the 3G light wont go solid. 

I changed the two setting you recommended on the router (Disable IPSEC and MTU 1492), are there any other settings you changed?

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 7 (1,111 Views)
Teacher

I was activated before I got the networking issue solved. Got the text
message and all. You do not have to reactivate once activated.

So if you can't activate, something else is going on. If the 3G Bars
are still flashing and you have gotten the activation message,
you likely have a network issue.

I would recommend a static IP and then you can see the connections
for this device under NAT Connections. You should see a permanent
connection on port 4500 with packets going in/out.
Message 4 of 7 (1,070 Views)
Tutor

I was looking at your post. We've been using this in ops for years The femtocell (3GMicoCell by Cisco) has it's issue, modem to swirch to microcell then run the rest of stuff of of the switch. Call AT&T and whine like you do here and they will give you a credit.

Message 5 of 7 (1,005 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

The microcell is dependent an ip, so if the modem takes a powder you have to powercycle each in order. The Mcell powers up fatser then a modem , treat it like router.  Remeber you are creating a cell tower in your home,( VLR,HLR, MSC,SGSN). All shall apply just like drivin' down the highway, handoff to handoff. It's not like connecting to a webpage.

{Personal content removed for your safety}

Message 6 of 7 (1,002 Views)
Contributor

Hi, on your NAT Setup page, under "nat port options" is the 'disabled' box checked?

Thanks..

Message 7 of 7 (761 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support