Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 9, 2011
1:27:05 PM
Rooted HTC Inspire

I recently traded for an Inspire and the guy neglected to tell me it was rooted. I'm unable to download the software updates and don't know how to flash it back to stock. Can anyone help?

I recently traded for an Inspire and the guy neglected to tell me it was rooted. I'm unable to download the software updates and don't know how to flash it back to stock. Can anyone help?

Rooted HTC Inspire

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2011 5:51:01 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on May 10, 2011 at 5:51:28 AM

If you go to the XDA Developers forum, go to the Inspire section, there is a guide on how to root, which also contains instructions on how to unroot and return to stock.  I won't link it, the mods usually delete my links to XDA.

As you may already know, rooting gives you MORE freedom and options then unrooted, and people go to big pains to root.  Also keep in mind that returning to stock will cause you to lose some benefits like sideloading apps.  If you are rooted, its very likely that you also already have the upload speed limitation removed, or otherwise it would be easy for you to do so.  Also keep in mind that whatever updates AT&T releases (after you wait a million years for them to do so) usually get posted on XDA before they are even released, or soon thereafter, and usually in a pre-rooted form.  And there are custom ROMs that do all the stock ROMs can do, and more.

Bottom line, being rooted or not is definitely a personal choice.  But my opinion is rooted is better than not.  You can always return to stock if you need to for warranty purposes.  Also, regardless of whether you choose to go through the steps to unroot; or stay rooted and do your own mods (flash a stock ROM, etc.) be sure to read up and know what you are doing.  Any of these things can do permenent damage to your phone if you do something you aren't supposed to.

If you go to the XDA Developers forum, go to the Inspire section, there is a guide on how to root, which also contains instructions on how to unroot and return to stock.  I won't link it, the mods usually delete my links to XDA.

As you may already know, rooting gives you MORE freedom and options then unrooted, and people go to big pains to root.  Also keep in mind that returning to stock will cause you to lose some benefits like sideloading apps.  If you are rooted, its very likely that you also already have the upload speed limitation removed, or otherwise it would be easy for you to do so.  Also keep in mind that whatever updates AT&T releases (after you wait a million years for them to do so) usually get posted on XDA before they are even released, or soon thereafter, and usually in a pre-rooted form.  And there are custom ROMs that do all the stock ROMs can do, and more.

Bottom line, being rooted or not is definitely a personal choice.  But my opinion is rooted is better than not.  You can always return to stock if you need to for warranty purposes.  Also, regardless of whether you choose to go through the steps to unroot; or stay rooted and do your own mods (flash a stock ROM, etc.) be sure to read up and know what you are doing.  Any of these things can do permenent damage to your phone if you do something you aren't supposed to.

Re: Rooted HTC Inspire

[ Edited ]
2 of 9 (884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2011 6:38:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you for your reply. I don't really mind it being rooted if I knew what he did or what rom he installed. He just sent me a youtube link to show what he did. Rooting is not foreign to me, but def need to do some more reading before trying to modify anything myself. I'm not 100% sure if he has S-off or radio-off; I would like to download a custom ROM. I'm hoping to enable the HSPA. Any suggestions for a good ROM? I looked @ Leedroid

Thank you for your reply. I don't really mind it being rooted if I knew what he did or what rom he installed. He just sent me a youtube link to show what he did. Rooting is not foreign to me, but def need to do some more reading before trying to modify anything myself. I'm not 100% sure if he has S-off or radio-off; I would like to download a custom ROM. I'm hoping to enable the HSPA. Any suggestions for a good ROM? I looked @ Leedroid

3 of 9 (880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2011 8:23:12 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on May 10, 2011 at 8:26:24 AM

Radio security off and S-Off are the same thing.  You can see if you have S-Off by powering off (a real power off, you have to turn off fast boot in Settings, or pull the battery), then holding volume down while pressing the power button.  The phone will power on, and you will be in Hboot, and it will say S-Off at the top of the screen, if you are S-Off.

If you are already rooted and S-Off, then flashing a ROM is super easy (rooting is really most of the work).  Just download ROM Manager from the Market.  You can download some ROMs right from ROM Manager.  Otherwise, you can put them on your SD card, and use ROM Manager to flash.

I have a Desire Z, not an Inspire.  So I can't personally give you any ROM recommendations.  But I've heard that CoreDroid and LeeDroid are good for the Inspire.  And CyanogenMod is always very popular.

Radio security off and S-Off are the same thing.  You can see if you have S-Off by powering off (a real power off, you have to turn off fast boot in Settings, or pull the battery), then holding volume down while pressing the power button.  The phone will power on, and you will be in Hboot, and it will say S-Off at the top of the screen, if you are S-Off.

If you are already rooted and S-Off, then flashing a ROM is super easy (rooting is really most of the work).  Just download ROM Manager from the Market.  You can download some ROMs right from ROM Manager.  Otherwise, you can put them on your SD card, and use ROM Manager to flash.

I have a Desire Z, not an Inspire.  So I can't personally give you any ROM recommendations.  But I've heard that CoreDroid and LeeDroid are good for the Inspire.  And CyanogenMod is always very popular.

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (865 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2011 8:36:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

I do have ROM Manager, SuperUser and have flashed ClockworkMod Recovery on the phone already and backed up the current ROM. There is a new ROM out on XDA by thedonvaughn, Ingersoll v2.5 that sounds pretty good. Mostly I want to enable the HSPA and improve battery life and reception. Speeds aren't too far off now from the Atrix I had. Any idea as to why my screen won't turn off? The screen darkens, but never completely turns off. I can still see it running and have to click the power off button to close it.

I do have ROM Manager, SuperUser and have flashed ClockworkMod Recovery on the phone already and backed up the current ROM. There is a new ROM out on XDA by thedonvaughn, Ingersoll v2.5 that sounds pretty good. Mostly I want to enable the HSPA and improve battery life and reception. Speeds aren't too far off now from the Atrix I had. Any idea as to why my screen won't turn off? The screen darkens, but never completely turns off. I can still see it running and have to click the power off button to close it.

5 of 9 (860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2011 11:34:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

Re: Rooted HTC Inspire- screenshot

6 of 9 (841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2011 11:37:14 AM
(0)
Professor

Don't know.  As I already mentioned, I don't own a Inspire.   The behaviour on my Desire Z, is that it dims 1 minute of the phone being idle (which you can change in Settings>Display>Screen timeout), then it turns off a few seconds (maybe 5?) after that.  But I don't know if the Inspire is designed to work the same way or not.

Looks like you are good to go, for flashing a new ROM.  You should really thank the previous owner, as they have done most the work for you (by rooting).

Don't know.  As I already mentioned, I don't own a Inspire.   The behaviour on my Desire Z, is that it dims 1 minute of the phone being idle (which you can change in Settings>Display>Screen timeout), then it turns off a few seconds (maybe 5?) after that.  But I don't know if the Inspire is designed to work the same way or not.

Looks like you are good to go, for flashing a new ROM.  You should really thank the previous owner, as they have done most the work for you (by rooting).

7 of 9 (838 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2011 8:20:03 AM
(0)
Guru
Are you holding down the power button for a few seconds, then getting a pop up menu with options?
Are you holding down the power button for a few seconds, then getting a pop up menu with options?

8 of 9 (804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2011 8:52:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

Are you speaking of the screen not turning off? I just realized the previous owner had it set to stay on while plugged in. I have since changed the settngs.

Are you speaking of the screen not turning off? I just realized the previous owner had it set to stay on while plugged in. I have since changed the settngs.

9 of 9 (801 Views)